PDA

View Full Version : 4e Classes to 3.5: Has anyone done this?

YvizztX23
2009-12-23, 08:41 PM
Has anyone converted some of the new 4e classes introduced in the PHB 2 (Swordmage, Avenger, Warden, etc) to 3.5 Edition? I've been thinking about doing this, but don't want to look foolish when everyone says "Someone did that one months ago!".

Moreover, what are some good suggestions for how to do these, or how they might not work?

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-23, 08:48 PM
I'm not aware of any.

As far as converting them, it shouldn't be hard. What you basically need to do is to convert class features and powers into features that the PC gains upon leveling up, if I recall correctly. Either split a big feature up into littler piece-by-piece steps, or make a power into a level feature. Keep in mind that many things done by feats in 3.5 are done by powers in 4th.

Catch
2009-12-23, 08:54 PM
It's not been done because, like the market, there's no demand.

For example, why convert the Swordmage? If you want want to play a gish, there's a laundry list of builds that work, or you could go straight Duskblade if you're lazy.

The ideology is just different. 3.5 offers a smaller amount of base classes and a library of PrCs to customize your character as you level. 4e tries to anticipate exactly what players want as their end result, and builds full classes with paragon paths to suit as many playstyles as is reasonable.

Any class you can play in 4e can already be done in 3.5 (the basis in the first place) through one or multiple PrCs.

YvizztX23
2009-12-23, 08:56 PM
I'm not aware of any.

As far as converting them, it shouldn't be hard. What you basically need to do is to convert class features and powers into features that the PC gains upon leveling up, if I recall correctly. Either split a big feature up into littler piece-by-piece steps, or make a power into a level feature. Keep in mind that many things done by feats in 3.5 are done by powers in 4th.

That's a relief. I hate it when I come up with something that someone else has already done.

YvizztX23
2009-12-23, 09:02 PM
It's not been done because, like the market, there's no demand.

For example, why convert the Swordmage? If you want want to play a gish, there's a laundry list of builds that work, or you could go straight Duskblade if you're lazy.

The ideology is just different. 3.5 offers a smaller amount of base classes and a library of PrCs to customize your character as you level. 4e tries to anticipate exactly what players want as their end result, and builds full classes with paragon paths to suit as many playstyles as is reasonable.

Any class you can play in 4e can already be done in 3.5 (the basis in the first place) through one or multiple PrCs.

This would obviously be in homebrewing terms. What i meant is has anyone here on gitp done something like that.