PDA

View Full Version : Mini-golems?

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-23, 10:04 PM
So, I'm DMing for my friends soon, and one of them wants to play an artificer with creatures "stronger than homunculi, but weaker than golems". Do such things exist, creatable by players? If so, where and how?

Solaris
2009-12-23, 10:10 PM
Not yet, except for the upgraded homonculi presented in the Eberron Campaign Setting.

DracoDei
2009-12-23, 10:15 PM
I think MOST constructs include rules for creation, so their ought to be SOMETHING... also, you could try looking through the homebrew compendium for these boards, or even running a site search with Google...

Site: www.giantitp.com "Creation Rules"

Or something like that.

FlamingKobold
2009-12-23, 10:16 PM
In "Magic of Eberron," there are several new types of Homunculi. You're looking for the Iron Defender. Take Improved homunculus and give it some fun powers and you're good to go.

2 alternate methods (DM approval)

1. advance the homunculus past small size and it becomes more powerful in combat.

2. Take a golem and the rules in the back of the MM and shrink it.

Narmy
2009-12-23, 10:20 PM
Actually....

This may not be the most accurate for golems.

but hey. I think it would work.

Here ya go!

Young Creature (CR –1)

Creatures with the young template are immature specimens of the base creature. You can also use this simple template to easily create a smaller variant of a monster. This template cannot be applied to creatures that increase in power through aging or feeding (such as dragons or barghests) or creatures that are Fine-sized.

Quick Rules: +2 to all Dex-based rolls, –2 to all other rolls, –2 hp/HD.

Rebuild Rules: Size decrease by one category; AC reduce natural armor by –2 (minimum +0); Attacks decrease damage dice by 1 step; Ability Scores –4 Strength, –4 Con, +4 size bonus to Dex.

lightningcat
2009-12-23, 10:31 PM
I seem to recall something of the sort in the Complete Arcane. Effigy or something similar, but that may have been specific to a prestige class. Well if it is, you can always knock off the serial numbers and use it anyways.

Dragon_Trainer
2009-12-23, 10:31 PM
I'm said player desirous of workable constructs. I'm a bit sketchy about doing the whole super-Homunculi thing because when they're destroyed
a)they're totally gone (I think constructs like golems could probably be repaired)
b)They do damage to me when they go! Not cool.

I'm more looking for just weaker construct-type creatures for use. I want to play a minion-based character, but with robots (at least for now).

Lappy9000
2009-12-23, 10:54 PM
Somebody made an awesome set of mini golems a while ago. I'll see if I can dig them up for you (Magic of Eberron homonculi work well, too).

EdroGrimshell
2009-12-23, 11:27 PM
Dragon magazine 341, lesser golems. Go to 4shared.com and you can just download a pdf directly.

Latronis
2009-12-24, 12:18 AM
I seem to recall something of the sort in the Complete Arcane. Effigy or something similar, but that may have been specific to a prestige class. Well if it is, you can always knock off the serial numbers and use it anyways.

The PrC is only better at making them, it's not specific to the PrC. The template is in the book. (CR+1) only loses class HD. So you can use the effigy template to get constructs of any hitdice and challenge rating.

“Effigy” is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Robo-Raptors! (or beholders for the o_O moment though it loses everything worthwhile)

Narmy
2009-12-24, 12:20 AM
Did anyone bother looking at my post, or was my idea not a good one?

DracoDei
2009-12-24, 12:40 AM
If you can get your hands on "Blackmoor: Clock and Steam" that would cover it... has a template for converting any animal to a mechanical version, among other things (and an entire "casting" class based around clockworks etc).

And I know I have seen several classes on this board that cover that...

Lappy9000 (I think it was him, my memory for names is utterly horrid) had an Engineer class... and then there was at least one or two classes based on the Sparks from Girl Genius.

Lappy9000
2009-12-24, 01:23 AM
Lappy9000 (I think it was him, my memory for names is utterly horrid) had an Engineer class... and then there was at least one or two classes based on the Sparks from Girl Genius.Sadly, the engineer doesn't have any in-built capacity for golems (although you can easily excel using Craft Construct). You're probably thinking DeadEnded's Clockworker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122360).

Granted, the OP said he wanted this for an artificer, and I can't for the life of me find the thread I was talking about a few posts up (depressing too; since they were excellent :smallfrown:)

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-24, 02:13 AM
Um. I need easily accessible prices for these things. It's for a player. :P

I'm not exactly good at pricing things.

Latronis
2009-12-24, 02:32 AM
CONSTRUCTING AN EFFIGY
An effi gy can be built either by means of the craft effi gy
class ability of the effi gy master prestige class (see page 30)
or by means of the Craft Construct feat (see page 303 of the
Monster Manual).
An effi gy built with the Craft Construct feat uses a body
built from wood, leather, metal, and wire, constructed with
either a DC 15 Craft (woodworking, leatherworking, or
metalworking) check or a DC 15 Knowledge (architecture
and engineering) check. The cost of the effi gy’s body depends
on its size:
Tiny 500 gp
Small 1,000 gp
Medium 2,000 gp
Large 5,000 gp
Huge 10,000 gp
Gargantuan 25,000 gp
Colossal 50,000 gp
The market price of an effi gy creature is equal to the cost of
its body plus 2,000 gp per Hit Die. The cost to create is equal
to the cost of the body plus 1,000 gp and 80 XP per Hit Die,
and creating an effi gy creature requires a minimum caster
level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice.

lightningcat
2009-12-24, 06:41 PM
Did anyone bother looking at my post, or was my idea not a good one?

The biggest problem with that idea is the standard golem ability of "Magic Immunity" that makes it less then useful way to regulate the power. But it would work otherwise.

Cieyrin
2009-12-25, 10:04 AM
Somebody made an awesome set of mini golems a while ago. I'll see if I can dig them up for you (Magic of Eberron homonculi work well, too).

I assume you mean these ones? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6519643#post6519643

I only have it easy since I saved the link to the feat I made for the thread in my sig. :smallbiggrin:

Johel
2009-12-25, 11:02 AM
I assume you mean these ones? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6519643#post6519643

I only have it easy since I saved the link to the feat I made for the thread in my sig. :smallbiggrin:

Awesome !!
Especially the Inkling.
This might do for very useful Homunculi.

Debihuman
2009-12-25, 11:16 AM
Well, if you don't mind homebrews, there are the Nombs that were created over on the WotC message board (New Monster Request Thread. They start on page 48). Here is how the first one was statted by KingGolem after a request by Mr. McAdam.

Here's the original request:

"Nomb- Nombs are small, minor constructs always formed accidentally as a result of excess magical energy building up and forming a rudimentary consiousness, then cobbling together a small body from cast off matereals at hand (usually bits of flesh, scrap metal, sticks, bones and other small bits of trash). While small, relatively weak, and phenominaly stupid (no, not mindless...stupid) they would be nothing but an amusement at best and a nuisance at the worst except for one factor that makes them dangerous, due to the instability of their animating magic, they always explode on death.

And here is what King Golem posted:

Nomb Subtype Traits
Nombs are small, minor constructs always formed accidentally as a result of excess magical energy building up and forming a rudimentary consiousness, then cobbling together a small body from cast off matereals at hand (usually bits of flesh, scrap metal, sticks, bones and other small bits of trash). While small, relatively weak, and phenominaly stupid (no, not mindless...stupid) they would be nothing but an amusement at best and a nuisance at the worst except for one factor that makes them dangerous, due to the instability of their animating magic, they always explode on death.
• Construct Type
• Darkvision out to 60ft and Low Light Vision
• Death Throes: When killed, a nomb always explodes in some way specific to its type.

Knight Nomb
Tiny Construct (Nomb)
Hit Dice: 1d10 (5 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 15ft
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +2 Size, +2 Natural), touch 14, flat footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-2
Attack: Heavy Flail -2 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Heavy Flail -2 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2ft/0ft
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, darkvision 60ft, death throe, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 15, Con - , Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Climb -1, Jump +6, Hide +6
Feats: Run
Environment: Any (the blacksmiths shop)
Organization: Solitary, Gang (2-4), or Squad (5-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: True Neutral
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: -

As you enter the abandoned smithy, a dozen little creatures turn to face you. They resemble suits of armor made from bits of scrap metal and they all wield tiny flails. One of them points and shouts in an excited voice, “Look out! A monster!”.

A knight nomb is one of a “race” of constructs called nombs.

Combat

Death Throe (Su): Whenever a knight nomb is reduced to 0 hit points, it automatically explodes into a pillar of blue flame. Everything within a 5ft radius takes 3d10 points of fire damage, flammable materials catch fire, and creatures risk catching fire.

I thought they were all well done. Not sure if they fit the "mini-golem" niche that you were looking for but I rather liked them.

D Knight
2009-12-25, 08:05 PM
you want a mini golem then look no farther than here.
1 build the body of the golem
2 in this order Shrink item, prem, and then animate it
3 ????
4 profit

yes i have done the math it would shrink them down to the smallest size. so now you have key chain golems that r always with you where need them

Solaris
2009-12-25, 08:11 PM

Gentlemen, look no further. Thread complete.