PDA

View Full Version : A thought experiment (3.5)

Zain
2009-12-23, 11:40 PM
You are a 20th level Wizard (Or WizardX/WizardprcY), 28-point but, full wealth by level, just how much time can you create, while remaining on the material plane, in the space of one day?, please list any spells used and their source the goal is to find out by how much you can extend time (In hours or days)

Fenlun
2009-12-23, 11:43 PM
You are a 20th level Wizard (Or WizardX/WizardprcY), 28-point but, full wealth by level, just how much time can you create, while remaining on the material plane, in the space of one day?, please list any spells used and their source the goal is to find out by how much you can extend time (In hours or days)

I tried to do this, but it burnt my brain :smallfurious:

Tavar
2009-12-23, 11:52 PM
Only timestop really extends time, but it can't be persisted. It can be Maximized and Empowered, though.

Glimbur
2009-12-23, 11:56 PM
Is Planar Bubble a wizard spell? If not, just UMD it. Bingo, about 10x time limited only by spell slots and wealth.

Eldariel
2009-12-24, 12:00 AM
Is Planar Bubble a wizard spell? If not, just UMD it. Bingo, about 10x time limited only by spell slots and wealth.

It is. It only brings your NATIVE plane anywhere though; if you're native to Material Plane, that's not very useful, especially on Material Plane.

Glimbur
2009-12-24, 12:11 AM
It is. It only brings your NATIVE plane anywhere though; if you're native to Material Plane, that's not very useful, especially on Material Plane.

Pshaw, actually reading spells is for people with time.

sonofzeal
2009-12-24, 12:13 AM
Psion does this better than Wizard, actually. Schism effectively doubles your time for a while, and then there's Temporal Acceleration / Hustle / etc.

Zain
2009-12-24, 12:17 AM
Psion does this better than Wizard, actually. Schism effectively doubles your time for a while, and then there's Temporal Acceleration / Hustle / etc.

realy, i have not read the rules for them, but they are in the SRD right?

Fenlun
2009-12-24, 12:19 AM
Pshaw, actually reading spells is for people with time.

Which is exactly the problem we're fixing with this thread :smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-12-24, 12:48 AM

There are ways to change your Native Plane...

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-24, 12:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that Planar Bubble is a Planar Shepherd Su ability, not a spell

Yukitsu
2009-12-24, 01:09 AM
IIRC, time spells in 3.5 don't add time to the day. They just speed you up until everything has stopped from your frame of reference.

Zain
2009-12-24, 01:31 AM
IIRC, time spells in 3.5 don't add time to the day. They just speed you up until everything has stopped from your frame of reference.

well, to what point could we push this?

sonofzeal
2009-12-24, 02:09 AM
realy, i have not read the rules for them, but they are in the SRD right?
Psions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm).

Power list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powerList.htm#psionWilderPowers). Of note are Schism, Hustle, and Temporal Acceleration. Synchronisity Field is in Complete NerfPsionics, and may be useful for these purposes.

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-24, 04:58 AM
Using Time Stop, you receive 1d4+1 rounds, IIRC. This basically extends one round into five, if you can Maximise it. Casting a Maximised Time Stop every round compresses a minute into two rounds. You can thus squeeze an hour into 120 rounds, and a day into 2880 rounds. One day is therefore equivalent to 13680 seconds, or about 25 minutes. You can then squeeze two days into less than an hour. However, you can't prepare 2880 Maximised Time Stops. :smalltongue:

sofawall
2009-12-24, 05:07 AM
I'm pretty sure that Planar Bubble is a Planar Shepherd Su ability, not a spell

I don't think so, Tim.

taltamir
2009-12-24, 05:08 AM
1. use limited wish (or is wish needed?) to replicate that one psion spell that basically lets you relevel, choosing new classes, feats, spells, skills etc (basically, a new character maintaining your memories, appearance, items, XP, etc)

2. make yourself a psion 20.

2a. Chose that same "relevel" power to turn back into a wizard later.

3. use psion powers to kick time in the face.

sofawall
2009-12-24, 05:10 AM
1. use limited wish (or is wish needed?) to replicate that one psion spell that basically lets you relevel, choosing new classes, feats, spells, skills etc (basically, a new character maintaining your memories, appearance, items, XP, etc)

2. make yourself a psion 20.

2a. Chose that same "relevel" power to turn back into a wizard later.

3. use psion powers to kick time in the face.

I don't think so, Tim.

Superglucose
2009-12-24, 05:30 AM
Using Time Stop, you receive 1d4+1 rounds, IIRC. This basically extends one round into five, if you can Maximise it. Casting a Maximised Time Stop every round compresses a minute into two rounds. You can thus squeeze an hour into 120 rounds, and a day into 2880 rounds. One day is therefore equivalent to 13680 seconds, or about 25 minutes. You can then squeeze two days into less than an hour. However, you can't prepare 2880 Maximised Time Stops. :smalltongue:

That's actually wrong.

A "Time Stop" spell that you cast under a time stop won't just add.

What's actually happening is that you're waiting four rounds then Timestopping so that the next five rounds are compressed in the last round of the first round's timestop. The real-time of this second five rounds still occurs in six seconds of real time. Because that's how time stop stakcs.

So you can squeeze an infinite amount of time into six seconds provided enough castings of timestop :smallbiggrin:

Also if we're allowed to use scrolls...

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-24, 06:12 AM
A "Time Stop" spell that you cast under a time stop won't just add.
I know. I meant that you cast another Time Stop in the next "real" round. i.e.

Round 1 - cast Time Stop - you gain 5 rounds.
Rounds From Time Stop - do whatever you want to do
Time Stop wears off.
Round 2 - cast Time Stop again - you gain 5 rounds.
etc.

Basically, the Time Stop converts each "real" round into five rounds.