PDA

View Full Version : Tabula Rasa (IC)

KingRexII
2009-12-24, 12:59 AM
You wake up, groggy and sore. It moves to hurt, but at least you can move all your body parts. You lie in a comfortable bed with a dying fire in a fireplace opposite you. Its light shows the vague outline of a cozy, cluttered room. Although there is a bookcase, it doesn't have nearly enough shelves to handle the piles of books and scrolls strewn about the floor, desk and chairs. There is a window to your left, but all you can see is darkness outside. You can hear indistinguishable speech coming from beyond your bedroom's door.

You yourself are bandaged is a couple of places -- your head, your right flank and your right knee are wrapped tightly with white cloth. You are currently wearing slightly-too-large flannel pajamas. Warm, but a bit comical on you.

The most disconcerting part is that this is the very first memory you have. No matter how hard you try, you see only darkness when you try to think of your past. Your first and currently only clue of who you are is a silver chained pendant hanging around your neck. On the medallion is a large star above a milky nebula. You can feel a familiar holy power emitting from it.

Have at it! I didn't think it necessary to have an OOC thread as it's just us and spoiler work just fine for now. I'll create one, if we find that we have a good use for it.

XiaoTie
2009-12-24, 06:42 AM
{table]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/Deanari2.png
Deanari Indastor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174829)[/table]
"Where...where am I?" are the first words uttered by the amnesiac Deanari after waking up from his slumber.

For a few minutes he tries to remember about the events that led him there, which only worsen the pain he feels as his brain refuses to acknowledge the paladin's order. In a short moment that takes no more than a couple seconds he feels desperate, not remembering who he was or what he was doing.

It was there and then, after those short couple of seconds, that a warm feeling filled his entire body, emanating from the pendant around his neck.

He tightens his grasp on the pendant, that feeling, and the divine power that fueled it, was more than enough to give Deanari a rough idea on what he was destined to do. "I am here to help. But how?" his brain protested and he gave up on seeking a reason, an continued to think to himself "It is more than enough to know I am here to help"

With that in his mind, Deanari slowly got up, feeling his sides and right knee hurt, and limped his way to the door, and slowly opened it.

Quick reference sheet if needed

Deanari Iandastor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174829)
Male Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 5, Init +1, HP 55/55, Speed 20
AC 28, Touch 15, Flat-footed 27, Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +10, Base Attack Bonus +5
Morningstar (-) +11 (1d8+2, x2)
- Greatsword (-) +11 (2d6+2, 19-20/x2)
- Shortbow (20) +6 (1d6, x3)
+1 Full Plate, [+1 from Shield Spec.(PHB2, p.82)] +1 Heavy Steel Shield (+9 Armor, +4 Shield, +1 Dex, +4 Misc)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 19
Condition None

KingRexII
2009-12-24, 02:48 PM
Deanari enters into a brightly lit room although the source for the light is not at first obvious. This room is slightly cooler than the bedroom. Closest to your location are two wooden bench seats, covered in animal furs. The closer one is facing away from you and on it sits a burly man, wearing the same types of furs found on his seat. The second sofa is across a table from the first one and it faces you. A young woman, maybe late teens or early twenties, is drinking a steam drink from a ceramic cup. She too is dressed warmly. She notices you emerge from the room and stands.

"Well, that solves our first problem, father. I see that our guest is finally awake!"

XiaoTie
2009-12-24, 03:24 PM
{table=head]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/Deanari2.png
Deanari Indastor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174829)[/table]

At first the bright light makes Daenarius shield his eyes, until two or three seconds later, when he feels comfortable enough with it.

"Greetings. I imagine you two were responsible for my rescue? I thank you for tending my wounds.", he wasn't sure why, but instinctively he started to bow his body, until his wounds reminded him he was still not quite fit to deeds of chivalry. Daenarius smiled and, again, out of instinct, he spoke "My name is Daenarius and...". He abruptly stopped and was soon lost in thoughts.

"I...I have a name! What could it mean?", and once again his brain protested and he no longer tried to remember. He was going to need to get used to being amnesiac.

KingRexII
2009-12-24, 04:46 PM
The young woman rushes toward Daenarius as he tries to bow. She waves her hands in front of her as if to say that his courtesies were unnecessary. She puts a warm hand against his chest and gently pushes Daenarius back to his straight and upright position.

She looks up into his eyes with a smile and softly says, "No one bows to anyone else around here, especially guests. And anyway, you might aggravate your injuries."

The large man stands up now, looking more like a bear on its hind legs than a human. He is not taller than Daenarius, but certainly more intimidating. He holds a massive bow in his hands. He clears his throat audibly and introduces himself. "My name is Harket. My daughter there is Inera, and you can thank her for your recovery." The woman steps away from Daenarius.

XiaoTie
2009-12-24, 05:08 PM

Daenarius, impressed with Harket's imposing figure, nods towards both father and daughter "I thank you both. Her for tending my wounds, and to you, sir, for raising someone with such a kind heart", he smiles gently, "If I may, could one of you tell me what happened, or perhaps how I got injured?", he sighs deeply and continues, "I am afraid the blows to my head were so severe that almost the entirety of my memory is gone"

Despair was almost getting the best of him again, as he stood there in front of Harket and Inera, wondering if he had a family of his own, and what had happened to them. He held the pendant once more and soon the warm feeling filled his heart, and despair was no more.

KingRexII
2009-12-25, 12:02 AM
Inera blushes at Daenarius's kind words though Harket seems unimpressed.

He raises an inquisitive eyebrow as if he did not completely believe your lack of memory. "No. We were hoping you would share your story. We don't find too many people out here, especially ones in your condition. You had cuts all over and the snow around you was seeped in blood. It's a miracle that I came along when I did and dragged you back here."

"I do, however, recognize that symbol you have around your neck. Haven't seen it in ages, though; not since I was young lad like yourself, traipsing around the world in search of adventure. That's what makes your appearance here that much more mysterious. You're a long way from your homeland, son."

"Do you really not remember anything?" Inera chimes in sympathetically.

XiaoTie
2009-12-25, 07:02 AM

"Yes, my head hurts when I try to remember anything. It was amazing that my name came out while speaking, otherwise not even that I would remember."

Daenarius took a deep breath, and then sighed. Not even those kind people had any idea how he got there, but at least they knew his homeland was somewhere far. That only made more questions pop up on his mind "No, all I need to know is that I am here to help, hopefully things will come to mind naturally like my name did, worrying won't do any good".

"I am sure I must have had a purpose to come here as I did, even though I do not remember it right now...", he successfully tries to put up a smile, "Is there anything I could do to help you?".

KingRexII
2009-12-25, 10:26 PM
Harket's doubt seems to disappear he hears Daenarius's words. "Huh. As I thought." He places his bow down onto the bench and moves toward the door. "Inera will explain how you can help yourself. We don't need your help." He grunts before saying, "Dinner should be ready by now." When he opens the door to the outside, gusts of wind and snow swoosh in. Harket slams the door behind him.

Inera gives you a weak smile and an awkward chuckle. "Don't mind him. He's like this with everyone. Anyway... it seems that a freak snowstorm is sweeping through this area. We would just wait it out, but our supplies are running low, and hunting tends to become rare when a blizzard of this magnitude hits. Father says we need to go soon after dinner and sleep in the tunnels. Unfortunately, they've become increasingly dangerous. We barely made it here this last time, and I fear that we won't be able to fight through the underground caverns back to the city.

"That's what we were talking about when you thankfully woke up. You were out for a couple of days, and we weren't sure what to do if you didn't come out of it by the time we finished eating.

"Do you think you'll be able to travel? Maybe even fight? Contrary to what father believes, I think we could really use another hand if we are to get home."

XiaoTie
2009-12-25, 11:56 PM

Daenarius, somewhat puzzled by Harket's attitude, considers all the possibilities as Inera tells him about the current situation, and with a shrug he tries to forget that he has been unconscious for a couple of days.

"I would gladly pick to have my life taken from me on fields of battle, trying to help those that need, over staying inside to sob over some minor wounds", he gently taps his sides, but even that was a bit harder than he thought it would be. He tries to smile "All I need is a good weapon and I will be ready to travel and make way to the tunnels. Does your father happen to have any, other than his bow?"

[OOC: If she mentions my armor]
Daenarius carefully dons the suit of armor (of which he had no recollection of owning once), but not before making sure his knees can support the weight. With his armor on, Daenarius holds the grip of any weapon provided by Inera and nods "I am ready to go, stay close".

KingRexII
2009-12-26, 12:43 AM
"I am glad to hear that, sir knight, but... I would recommend never touching any of his weapons. Father is quite attached to them. All of your items are back in the bedroom, including your weapons. They might be hidden behind some books, though..."

The outside door slams open again with a rush of wind and ice. "At least the last of the deer cooked well enough in this storm." As Inera scurries off to the kitchen to get plates and an extra cup, she yells "Our mysterious warrior will be joining us in our journey home and willing to lend his hand in combat." She made sure to tack on "If needed, of course..."

Harket grunts again. "Very well, then. Eat quickly and we will leave soon after. Despite the lateness [OOC: The time is about 6 PM.], we should push on as far as we can. The first dwarven outpost is three hours away and the safest place to sleep tonight."

[OOC:]

Daenarius should have all the equipment listed on his character sheet available to him now. Consider Daenarius still quite drained by... whatever happened to him. His current condition is Fatigued (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#fatigued) (no run, no charge, -2 STR, -2 DEX) until he can rest one more night.

Do you want to roleplay dinner or shall we push into the tunnels? If the latter, dinner will be assumed to be mostly awkward silence.

XiaoTie
2009-12-26, 06:12 AM

Daenarius nods, and returns from his room fully armored and with his morningstar in hands, and smiles, as if the familiar touch to his weapons made him a bit happier amidst everything that happened to him. He makes sure his backpack is in the right place, and nods, "Don't worry about me, I don't need to eat today. We can leave as soon as you are done eating".

I'd rather if we skipped dinner (since he really doesn't need to eat) and go straight to the tunnels :D

KingRexII
2009-12-26, 08:58 AM
Harket grunts approvingly and greedily starts to eat when Inera comes back with plates. Inera, on the other hand, merely picks at her food before resigning to pack her things. Dinner and packing finishes within the hour.

Outside the three travelers prepare to embark. Through the screaming gales, Daenarius can hear Harket yelling to you. "This should take the bite out of the cold, lad." He places a large hand on Daenarius's shoulder and says a few words that the wind takes away before it reaches the paladin. The cold no longer bothers him.

Harket yells again, "Follow me!" Bow in hand, he follows a path that only he seems to be able to see.

XiaoTie
2009-12-26, 10:45 AM

Daenarius follows, as fast as his wounds allow him to, the little he can see of Harket, and shouts back "Not even if I wanted to I could find my way out here without you, sir Harket".

For some reason, between Harket's spell, the cold weather and his slow pace, Daenarius started to feel, at least in his mind, a bit better. Maybe it was the fact he was on the move again, feeling the grip of his weapon, maybe it was the possibility to aid those two and repay for their favors, or maybe his head was really wounded. Nevertheless, he tried to keep up with Harket's pace, keeping an eye out for anything strange.

KingRexII
2009-12-26, 03:28 PM
After an hour of forging through quickly accumulating snow, the three travelers come to a cavern entrance. Loitering just inside is a large white tiger. Harket greets her fondly. "Smart enough to stay out of the storm, eh, Misha? Not like us silly humans." He takes a chunk of dinner and tosses it to her. Inera goes up to the tiger, allowing it to nuzzle up against her, almost pushing her over, more like a housecat than a ferocious predator.

"Oh, don't mind the newcomer, Misha. He's no threat to us." The tiger gives you a sniff from a distance and seems to agree with her master. Harket says to everyone else, "Let us press on. The storm slowed down our progress significantly." He casts light on his bow and proceeds to wend his way through a maze of tunnels. Inera casts the same spell on her quarterstaff as well as another spell on her person.

"Guard yourself, sir knight. This is where your morningstar and greatsword will come in handy..."

Don't mind me. I'm partially stalling as I haven't had a chance to work out the kinks of the first encounter (dun, Dun, DUN!). By the way, if any point I blow past something that you'd like to go over a bit more closely, just give the say so and we'll turn back time.

XiaoTie
2009-12-26, 03:54 PM

Daenarius closely follows the two through the white landscape until they spot the big white tiger, which is when he takes a few steps back. Even though he was impressed with the tiger's beauty, he was also somewhat cautious "I wonder if I've been afraid of large tigers before, or if it is just this one".

Even so, he soon follows Inera and Harket again, feeling a bit more comfortable once the tiger sniffs him.

As they enter the tunnels proper, Daenarius draws his morningstar and steel shield, moving towards the front, near Harket, ready to attack any assailants, "If anything attacks us, feel free to fall back behind me, I will cover you two". Once again, as before when he felt the grip of his weapons in the house, Daenarius feels a bit more calm, even happy. He was doing what he was created to do.

[OOC]
Okay, it has been fun so far and you didn't take more than the perfect amount of attention to the stuff that needed some :D

KingRexII
2009-12-26, 10:52 PM
"Behind you?" Harket says with incredulity. "We'll see, lad."

Harket leads the group expertly, pausing for mere seconds at each fork to determine which way is correct. After an hour's quiet march, Harket holds his hand up signaling everyone to stop. Before Harket can scout ahead, however, a deep male scream fills the cavern walls. Everyone runs toward the sound... except for Daenarius whose injuries prevent him from going top speed.

[OOC:

The tunnel goes for another 100' until it turns to the right 90 degrees, which is in the direction that everyone heard the scream. The tunnel is currently about ten feet high and ten feet wide, but from what you can tell, it seems to widen and open up as it approaches the right turn. The tunnel behind you extends 30' to the previous junction point. Harket had chosen the right path then.

Roll initiative, please, not because we're going into combat necessarily (though you might, if you want), but because I want to go through the next few steps round by round.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-27, 05:52 AM
Deanari Indastor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174829)
Initiative 16[/table]

Daenarius curses his wounds and limps as fast as he can, readying his shield in front of him, following, to the best of his abilities, Harket and Inera, "I just hope I don't get there too late".

[OOC]
Initiative [roll0]

KingRexII
2009-12-28, 12:01 AM
[OOC: Round 1]
Movement through the tunnel is difficult for Daenarius while Harket and Misha bound ahead of them. Inera says as she keeps pace with him, "Do not worry, sir knight. My father can take care of himse--"

[OOC: Round 2]
Her words are interrupted by the sound of Harket yelling back, "Frost Salamanders, Inera! Hit them with any fire-power you have.". Harket in turn casts some spell producing a column of fire engulfing the two blue lizards that had just attack him and the tiger. It seems to have cleared the way, and Harket and Misha bound beyond Daenarius's vision. The next thing you hear, but cannot see is Harket's deep voice echoing through the tunnel.

"You! You coward! You will pay for this! Misha! Attack!"

"Uh... just in case he won't be just fine, here's something that will help you help him," Inera says before casting a spell on Daenarius. He feels much more like his old self, maybe even stronger. [OOC: Bull's Strength -- +4 to STR.]

[OOC: Round 3]
Finally, after straining himself further, Daenarius sees the combat at hand [OOC: used move action to get to end of tunnel]. The tunnel turns abruptly to the right to reveal a slightly larger chamber, about 15' high, 15' wide and 20' long. It tapers back to the same size tunnel as before at the other end of the chamber. That tunnel seems to lead into another larger chamber. Right at the entrance where Daenarius now stands are two blackened remains of the creatures Harket was battling. They have a serpentine body with six legs and a long, powerful tail.

In the middle of the chamber [OOC: 10' away from Daenarius] is another lizard, but this one is very much alive. Its coloration is ice blue and its body is reared upon two of its legs, one of which has its claws sunk deeply into a humanoid body bloodied on the ground. The frost salamander has two large gashes running across its chest and looks ready to wreak revenge on its attackers, both of which are standing next to it.

Harket and Misha, on the other hand, no longer seem to be concerned about the frost salamander. Their gaze are toward something in the next chamber. Harket commands, "Finish off this one, Daenarius. Inera, stay with him. Misha and I have much more dangerous prey to hunt. Do NOT follow us. He's much too dangerous for you yet."

[OOC:

Sorry for the lack of post-age today. Busy, busy! Anyway, I've assumed that you just traveled as fast as you can down the hallway (at a speedy 40 feet per round), which meant it took two and a half rounds just to get to the action. Just as an FYI, I'm rolling whenever there is a reactive check -- spot, listen, etc -- just to keep things moving.

So, Daenarius should have a standard action left for round 3. Do with it as you will.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-28, 05:25 AM
Initiative 16
Round 03[/table]

Daenarius takes a look around the chamber and locks his gaze upon the serpentine creature "Stay behind miss Inera, he won't touch you", readying his mace and shield, Daenarious slowly approaches the creature some more, making sure he is between the creature and Inera, ready to make use of his morningstar.

[OOC]
Standard Action: Move 5'

No problem, I could barely post yesterday since my internet died for a while

KingRexII
2009-12-28, 10:18 AM
[OOC: Rest of round 3]
As Daenarius creeps closer, the salamander doesn't seem to care. Harket dodges each swipe of its claws expertly, even causing the beast to claw itself. Harket and Misha bound into the next chamber, leaving the salamander and its prey.

Inera stays behind Daenarius's mace, but prepares for anything.

[OOC:

Round 3 finished. Round 4 actions please.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-28, 10:35 AM
Initiative 16
Round 04[/table]

Daenarius takes his chance and wades into combat. He takes one step closer to the creature and swings his morningstar, powered by Inera's spell, at the creature's sides, shield ready to block any kind of counterattack it could launch. "We must finish this creature quickly, sir Harket might need some help. I cannot allow these creatures cause any harm to these two...".

[OOC]

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] (Bludgeoning and Piercing)
Confirm Crit (If necessary) [roll2]

KingRexII
2009-12-28, 11:57 AM
[OOC: rest of Round 4]
Daenarius's mace misses terribly, but it does get the attention of the lizard. It looks torn, though, as if it wants to chase after Harket and Misha, but instead concentrates its attention toward its new attacker. Its claws find lucky spots in Daenarius's defense, his claws opening up newly healed wounds. [OOC: Daenarius takes 9 damage.] Inera attempts to help him out, shooting a ray at the beast, but missing.

[OOC: Round 5]
Unfortunately, the hurt salamander is the least of the two's worries. Another one emerges from the tunnel's shadows, charging at Inera. Its piercing punch just barely misses as Inera ducks just in time.

[OOC:

Round 4 finished; round 5 actions please. And hopefully, you'll roll a little better this time! Ones are yucky... :smallyuk:

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-28, 01:06 PM
Initiative 16
Round 05
HP 46/55
AC 28 (+1 from Dev. Bulwark)[/table]

Daenarius takes note of the newcomer and, shifts his body weight so he can, once again, swing his mace against the first serpentlike creature, moments before he takes one step back to protect Inera some more. "Stay calm, if we stick together they won't be able to defeat us".

[OOC]

Standard: Attack (Crusader's Strike)

Attack [roll0]
Crusader's Strike healing (if Attack hits) [roll1]
Damage [roll2] (Bludgeoning and Piercing)
Confirm Crit (If necessary) [roll3]

Move: Step away using 5' step, in order to avoid provoking an AoO

KingRexII
2009-12-28, 03:18 PM
[rest of Round 5]
Daenarius's strike hits, causing the blue lizard to grunt in pain and healing some of his wounds. As he steps back, this salamander seems to realize that he has what he came for. Instead of pressing his attack, he begins to drag his prey toward the other chamber, though at an extremely slow pace. Inera attempts to cast a spell on her attacker. Although she manages to keep her cool, her spell merely bounces off the lizard's tough skin. "Calm is getting much harder to stay, sir knight."

[Round 6]
The newest attacker rips into Inera, its attacks all hitting true. Inera screams in pain, and with despair, she calls out to Daenarius. "Help! It's killing me!"

[OOC:

Round 5 finished; round 6 actions, please. Yikes. I'm rolling way above average right now...

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-28, 03:56 PM
Initiative 16
Round 06
HP 49/55
AC 27[/table]

As he sees Inera being hit, Daenarius shifts his attentions to her assailant and after moving between the creature and Inera he raises his morningstar, ready to hit the creature if it gets any closer, while he pushes his steel shield closer to Inera's body, and with the cool metal she can also feel an invigorating energy emanating into her body, "There, this should help you some until we finish these creatures, stay behind me".

[OOC]
Move Get in the way between the creature and Inera (if possible), while still being able to guard her if the other one returns;

Standard Lay on Hands, restoring 10 HP

KingRexII
2009-12-28, 04:39 PM
[rest of Round 6]
[OOC: In order to do what you're trying, you need to delay your action to right after Inera's. I'm assuming it's OK. If it's not, so and we'll rewind and replay.]
Directing Inera to move out of the way, she feebly moves around the corner before casting around herself a personal sanctuary. Daenarius heals her as best as he can before standing between her and her attacker.

Meanwhile, the injured salamander just reaches the entrance to the second chamber. Its prey much be quite heavy.

[Round 7]
The blue lizard seems to think that the armored man in front of it now is much more difficult a prey than it wants. It chooses to move around him to try to get to Inera. It allows the paladin a chance to strike at it while it tries to move around him [OOC: Attack of opportunity for Daenarius]. It rakes at Inera's defenses, but the attack proves to be ineffective.

[OOC:

Round 6 finished; round 7 actions, please, including an AoO.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-28, 05:32 PM
Initiative 16
Round 07
HP 49/55
AC 27[/table]

Daenarius takes his chance and swings the morningstar at the lizard¹, "Don't think it will be easy to hurt her, lizard!", and then another, stronger, swing comes right after the creature misses Inera². Daenarius then has a glimpse of the other lizard moving into the next chamber, and makes a mental note to go after it once they are able to deal with this one.

[OOC]
¹Attack of Opportunity [roll0]|| [roll1]

Move None;

²Standard Smite Evil! [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

If the smite doesn't work on him, then the Attack would be made at +12, and the Damage at +3

KingRexII
2009-12-28, 09:12 PM
[Rest of Round 7]
Both strikes hit home, making considerable cuts in the beast's hide.

[Round 8]
The closest ice iguana seems irked by the success Daenarius has had with his morningstar. It raises one of its claws to attack Inera again when it realizes that the other salamander slinking off already has some food and is badly injured. It is not the smartest creature out there, but it does recognize easy pickings when it sees it. It breaks off its attack of Inera to accost the other one.

Although Inera has a shot at it as it leaves, she holds her staff, opting to hold onto her magical protection for the time being. Daenarius has a similar opportunity. [OOC: Chance for an AoO for Daenarius if he wants it.]

As the lizards begin to fight each other for the body, Inera turns to Daenarius, "Should we flee? My protection will be wearing off soon, and there are other ways to the outpost that I know of. I am sure that father will get there before we do. However, I don't know if the guy they have is dead or not. But I also know that taking on two of them might be too much for us. I will follow your lead, sir knight, whichever way you choose."

[OOC:

Round 7 finished; round 8 actions, please, along with an AoO (if you want to take it). By the way, your initiative is technically the same as Inera's now, which is 6, though that detail isn't all that important. Also, Inera has delayed her actions for round 8 until Daenarius has decided what to do.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-28, 09:25 PM
Initiative (16) 06
Round 08
HP 49/55
AC 27[/table]

Daenarius mutters in between his swing at the lizard that runs past him, "If there is a chance that man is alive, we must see to it. Your father may be strong enough to defend himself, but if this man, if he is alive, might not", and moves after the two.

[OOC]
Attack of Opportunity [roll0] || [roll1]

Move Go after the two lizards; Attack the same lizard I used "smite evil" on

Standard Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

KingRexII
2009-12-28, 11:29 PM
[rest of Round 8]
Daenarius's try as it leaves side misses, and his next attack also hits nothing but air. Due to his honorable nature, he forces himself to take a fairer position. The less-than honorable lizard, however, takes advantage of the situation and hits him [OOC: Take 6 damage]. Inera responds, "All right... Valiant, but potentially foolish." She breaks her own protection spell to dazzle the second lizard. "I do not have much more punch in my spells, sir knight. Let us finish this as quickly as possible!"

[Round 9]
The now-flanked salamander looks more like a caged animal than a predator now. It strikes at both the human and salamander alike. Daenarius takes a bite to his arm [OOC: he takes 5 damage] while the first one gets a couple of extra claw marks. It retaliates, protecting its prey at all costs.

[OOC:

Round 8 finished; round 9 actions, please.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-28, 11:40 PM
Initiative (16) 06
Round 09
HP 44/55
AC 24 (Dev. Bulwark)[/table]

[OOC]
Forgot to say, I can't benefit from Flanking

Daenarius drops his morningstar and takes a step to the side, so he has a more honorable way (as much as possible in this situation) to attack the evil beasts that fight for the innocent man. While moving, Daenarius quickly launches his shield to his back while drawing his greatsword, and swings it, at the same serpentlike creature he had been attacking, as hard as he can, trying to get it down so he can aid the poor man, now in a three way brawl with the lizards.

[OOC]
Move Sidestep and draw Greatsword

Standard Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

KingRexII
2009-12-29, 10:07 AM
[OOC:

Flanker! Flanker! YOU FALL, HONORLESS PALADIN! :smalleek:

Just kidding. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I should have caught that. I'll revise the previous post with your OK:

When you approached the smited lizard, you just moved into a non-flanking position to attack, but in order to do that you'll have to incur an AoO from the lizard. Then in this round, you'll just stay in the same position and attack with your greatsword from there. Copasetic?

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-29, 10:12 AM
[OOC]
Sounds good to me :smallbiggrin: For my safety, let's say that Deanarius only "back-slinged" his shield to switch for the greatsword after the AoO, and then attacking

KingRexII
2009-12-29, 01:34 PM
[OOC:

Sounds good to me. I've editted the post above, and the AoO from the salamander hits for 6 damage.

]

[rest of Round 9]
Daenarius breaks at the big stick and gives the smited one a nice gash along its side. Inera, lacking much more in attacking abilities, comes up right next to the closest lizard and attempts to distract him [OOC: Daenarius get +2 to next attack roll].

[Round 10]
Her help, however, costs her another hit with a claw as the surrounded lizard continues to attack indiscriminately. Both the other lizard and Daenarius take damage [OOC: 5 damage]. The one guarding the body continues to attack its closest perceived enemy, making it look worse off that it is.

[OOC:

Round 9 finished; round 10 actions, please. And just as an FYI, Inera is looking bad, but not it looks like she can still take a few more blows.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-29, 02:04 PM
Deanarius Indastor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174829)
Initiative (16) 06
Round 10
HP 33/55

Deanarius notices Inera's wounds and shouts out "Behind miss Inera! Stay behind me, away from the creature, and I'll be able to protect you, as he slashes away once more against the same serpentlike creature, "You will fall creature!"

[OOC]
I have no idea from where "Deanarius" came from @my last few posts :smallredface: Nevermind "Deanari", since my first post I've been calling him "Daenarius", let's keep it this way then. :thog:

Move None

Standard Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

KingRexII
2009-12-29, 02:52 PM
[rest of Round 10]
Daena continues to wail on the beast while Inera continues to distract the beast. "Hells no, sir knight," Inera responses with the defiance that her father generally gives the paladin. "My father taught me to retreat, not cower. I need to help you somehow..."

[Round 11]
Her brave words are met with a couple more vicious hits. "OK... Now, it might be time to retreat. Ugh..." The cornered salamander seems to fight with even more tenacity the closer it got to death. It also injures Daena [OOC: takes 12 damage]. The second lizard now attempts to run away again, hoping to use the other one as a distraction for its escape.

Both Inera and the other lizard look like one more good hit will finish them.

[OOC:

Round 10 finished; round 11 actions, please. Almost there! Also, I think I'll start referring to him as Daena. Much shorter.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-29, 03:58 PM
Initiative (16) 06
Round 11
HP 21/55

Daena feels the cut go through some of his armor and bite his arm's flesh, and mentions in between his teeth as he attacks the lizard creature one more time "I am glad you finally took a liking for life miss Inera. Stay a few feet behind me, and don't come near the lizard".

[OOC]
Since it is Deanarius, Daena would be a bit...feminine :thog: How about Dean? :elan:

Move None

Standard Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

KingRexII
2009-12-29, 09:40 PM
[rest of Round 11]
The last swing of the greatsword proves to be the last one for this salamander. Inera gives Dean a look as she walks past. She grumbles as she heals him [OOC: [roll0] hp healed]. "Go get the other one. I will just stay over here and heal myself for a bit," she says with a bit of bitterness in her voice.

[Round 12]
The living lizard continues to drag his prey out of the second chamber [OOC: it is about 20' away from Dean]. It hisses a warning to Dean to stay away. It looks injured, but still in fighting condition.

[OOC:

Round 11 finished; round 12 actions, please.

Actually, Dana used to be a popular male name (http://www.weddingvendors.com/baby-names/meaning/dana/). But Dean sounds just fine to me. Amusing that it has taken us this long to settle on one name spelling.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-30, 04:10 AM
Initiative (16) 06
Round 12
HP 36/55

Dean nods as Inera heals him "I...well, thank you for healing me", and moves towards the lizard who is trying to drag the body. With his sword ready, he moves onwards while pressing his left hand against his chest, as a dim bluish light emanates from it into his body.

"Leave this body and never return here, creature, and your life shall be spared".

[OOC]

Ooh, forgot about it also being a male name, only seen one male with "Dana" as his name. :thog:

Move 15' Movement

Standard Use Lay on Hands to heal 10 HP (0/20 Daily Lay on Hands use)

KingRexII
2009-12-30, 09:57 AM
The frost salamander hisses terribly at Deanarius, but also does not move with its prey any further. Instead it eyes the other lizard. It grunts and points at it and then at the humanoid body. It begins to drag it back toward the dead lizard.

Meanwhile, Dean can hear Inera in the other chamber, healing herself.

[OOC:

Shall we step out of initiative for now?

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-30, 10:49 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean waits until the creature takes the dead lizard away instead of the human body. Once the creature is far from his sight, Dean raises the dead body onto his shoulders, and slowly carries him to the previous chamber where Inera heals herself. There, Dean will immediatly check if the human is indeed dead¹.

{[A] If the man is still alive} Dean grabs a wand from his belt and touch the man's forehead with it, while chanting a quick a minor prayer².

{ If the man is dead} Dean sighs and wonders who the poor man would be.

Afterwards he turns to Inera "Are you okay miss Inera?"

[OOC]

¹[b]Heal Check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/Heal.htm) [roll0]

²Use a charge from the Wand of Cure Light Wounds (49/50 if used) [roll1] damage healed

KingRexII
2009-12-30, 01:32 PM
The lizards drags off his new prey down the way the three travelers (and a tiger) originally came. It looks partly incredulous that Deanarius would let it go.

The body turns out to be a dwarf, which explains the difficulty the salamander had dragging him. He has unfortunately expired, though his body still hold the warmth of the living. The gashes he sustained from defending himself were too much.

Inera answers as she walks toward Dean, "I'm fine now. Did you really let that--" She stops short when she sees the dwarf's face. "I... I-I know him! Wurtz -- he was a scientist at the outpost. He-he was studying..." She seems too upset to finish that thought. "Gods! I helped with him with his research a summer ago!"

XiaoTie
2009-12-30, 04:06 PM
HP 54/55[/table]

Dean kneels before the dead dwarf and sighs, bowing his head for a moment, "There was a chance, even if a slim one, that he would still be alive miss Inera, I could not risk him getting harmed just so I could kill that lizard", he stands up and looks towards the way Harket went, "Allowing the lizard to let go of the dwarf might prove to be worthwhile, we now can get to your father quickly.

He tries to sound confident, even though having failed to the dwarf was clearly bothering him. "Now, we must go, miss Inera. And while we get to your father, could you tell me what exactly was the dwarf studying?"

While they walk, Dean adjusts his belt, and for less than a second a thing layer of a bluish light engulfs him.

[OOC]
Using one charge (x2) of the Healing Belt (MiC, p.110)
Healing [roll0]

And sorry for taking a while to post today, today was the day to shave my head (and doing it yourself takes a while), and I was helping to take care of a puppy (hella hella HELLA cute) :thog: xiao likes puppies, and ice-cream

KingRexII
2009-12-30, 11:59 PM
Inera kneels down next to the corpse. "I-I do not blame you, Deanarius. I think you did the right thing. But I... I can't just leave him here. I knew this man. I know his wife! Gods, how will I tell Braxa?" She puts her head in her hands.

She looks to Deanarius, "I have a scroll that will help us carry him back to his home. It will make us a more enticing target, but... I think we should bring him back. They do not have the means to raise him, but they should have the chance to say goodbye."

She adds, "And if we do not take him now, some other creature will. Please, Deanarius, will you help me?"

[OOC:

If he asks, the scrolled spell is Floating Disk, scribed high enough to carry even the heavy dwarf. It should not affect the time it will take to get to the outpost, but as the lovely lady points out, there might be other predators out there waiting that love the smell of a fresh kill.

Oh, I will get to what the dwarf studied after they actually start walking.

And yeah, I did not have much time to post today either. I did not shave my head, though, just generally away from a computer. I too enjoy puppies and ice cream. Just not at the same time...

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-31, 06:45 AM
HP 54/55[/table]

Deanarius nods "It is very kind of you, and a wise decision. There we could give him a honorable funeral worthy of a dwarven scholar he seems to be from what you have said", and stands guard while she casts the spell from the scroll.

When Inera is done, Deanarius draws his morningstar and shield, taking the lead in case anymore predators show up, but waiting Inera's insight on the path they should take.

KingRexII
2009-12-31, 10:19 AM
Inera looks thankful to be able to do this for her friend. She speaks the words of power, and a disk forms underneath the dwarf. It raises him with an almost sacred gentleness. "Let's go."

Deanarius, Inera and Wurtz float through the maze of tunnels like ants in their colony. At each junction, Inera merely looks around before pointing out the way. The work seems to give her comfort, delaying her grief in order to get Dean and herself to safety. She explains, "You know -- navigating through these tunnels is not all that difficult. Anyone that can read common and detect magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneMark.htm) can do it. See here." She points to a spot on the cavern wall with her lit quarterstaff. "These characters here are using the common alphabet -- 'KS1.12'. It means we are one point twelve miles from the first outpost: Ka'Szer." As the team continues, she explains further, "Now we look for a sign with a smaller distance away from Ka'Szer. Nearly all the junction points have something to indicate direction and distance to the closest outpost or city. Smart, huh?"

[OOC:

Don't mind her -- she's talking through her pain. Next post will explain Wurtz's research.

Oh, and your character does indeed gain some amount of XP. I just don't have the DMG on me right now, so I can't tell you the amount right now. :smallsigh: I'll get you the number, hopefully tonight.

Oh, and finally -- Happy New Year to you, whenever that is for you.

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-31, 11:31 AM
HP 54/55[/table]

Dean follows, listening to Inera, and intending to keep her on her "grief-free" journey he continues the conversation "Ah, quite smart indeed. Then I think we should look for some KS.1.11 or lower, eh? Very interesting".

"Poor girl, I just hope her father is okay. But he seemed quite the competent man, maybe even more than both of us together", he continues on, eyes open for anything strange.

[OOC]
Don't worry about the XP, I hadn't even thought about it until you mentioned :smallbiggrin:

Happy New Year to you too :D, still 14:40 here, so, a little while until it comes

KingRexII
2009-12-31, 11:56 AM
"That's right. Easy-peasy!" she says almost light-heartedly. "That's actually what Wurtz and I were doing that one summer. The outpost had grown to such numbers, and more and more people wanted to explore the natural tunnels. This way." She makes points left at a fork in the road.

"We wanted to make travel safer, more reliable, but without making it blatantly obvious where to find Ka'Szer. Before our work, only people like my father could traverse this maze without getting lost.

"Wurtz was scientist of many talents, and his range of studies were quite vast. Though he wasn't as magically gifted as I am, he was always much smarter than I. He knew things about the flora and fauna of these caverns that even my father never knew. He could predict earthquakes and help the outpost plan for it. He helped design many of the system that make things just work. He looked to improve and expand Ka'Szer. The outpost has grown to a full-fledged city lately, and we need to expand. But everyone knows that there is something out here making most of the chambers attract some pretty dangerous company. Right this time.

"The last I heard Wurtz was able to detect some sort of faint aura -- a very dark, chaotic one -- building from somewhere within these mountains. Nothing's openly attacking the city yet as the edge of aura has not yet come close, but Wurtz theorized that it's growing and generating a lot of the issues in these tunnels. That's what he must have been doing when we... when we found him." Her voice stops somberly.

[OOC:

Next up: Ka'Szer! Though depending on end-of-year festivities, you may have to wait until next year. :smallwink:

]

XiaoTie
2009-12-31, 12:20 PM
HP 54/55[/table]

Dean pays attention to Inera's explanation as if, somehow, he felt it was vital to his mission. It seemed the dwarf was indeed a great scholar and responsible for a considerate growth the outpost had gone through.

"I see. Maybe we will find out some more of how his research was going when we get there", almost bumping against the wall such was the attention he was giving to Inera's tale.

[OOC]
No problem :D
And sorry about taking a while to post this one, I could have posted soon after you posted (which I was doing), but puppy pee'd inside...twice[/color]
[OOC]
Edited the part that didn't make much sense :P

KingRexII
2010-01-01, 01:31 AM
[OOC:

:smallredface: Ah, I must not have written that clearly enough: That's what he must have been doing (studying the evil chaos aura) when we... when we (Dean, Inera and her father) found him (Wurtz, lying dead on the floor)

This is sort of what I meant -- that Dean and Inera found Wurtz, not that Inera and Wurtz found some person.

Make sense?

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-01, 10:15 AM
[OOC]
Oooh, now I get it :thog: I edited the previous post to make some sense out of it

KingRexII
2010-01-01, 10:49 PM
Finally, the two travelers turn, and at the end of that tunnel comes a bright light. As Inera and Dean approach, the tunnel widens with each step. At the mouth, the diameter of the opening is about 40 feet.

Inside are homes carved into the rock themselves. On either side the cavern face is littered with small dwellings and artificially made yards. [OOC: Sort of like this (http://julienbill.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/webassets/MesaVerdeCliffDwellings1.jpg), but enclosed and on both sides of the large cavern.] The ceiling of the cavern is magically lit -- its faint glow giving the city the feel as if it were under a moon's light. The central path, which feels sort of like a valley, meanders straight to a large gate.

"The outpost used to end there," Inera says as she points at the gate. "Wurtz's family is inside. Let us go."

As Dean and Inera begin to walk several people come out of their homes to watch the two pass by. There are mostly dwarves and gnomes, but it seems that nearly every race is represented somehow. After a few seconds, Dean can hear the bunches of people begin to murmur to each other.

[OOC:

Sorry for the sparsity of posting. It will probably be like this over the weekend as well. Things should be back to normal after that, though.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-02, 07:44 AM
HP 54/55[/table]

Dean nods to Inera's explanation, and slings his shield to his back once again, while also sheathing the morningstar on his belt. He admires the way the dwarves carved their houses into the very stone, as far as he remembered it was one of the most beautiful works of engineering he had ever seen. Not that he remembered any, but this one was indeed one of the most beautiful dwarven cities he had ever seen.

He nods once more and follows Inera towards Wurtz's house.

[OOC]
Don't worry about it :D

KingRexII
2010-01-02, 11:32 PM
The murmuring becomes loud enough to be audible. He can hear snippets of "Is that Wurtz?", "Is Wurtz OK?" and "Who is that guy?" At the gate, one of the guards recognizes Inera and immediately opens it up for her.

"Is-Is that Wurtz? Is he... is he?"

"Yes, unfortunately, Endago. We must go see his family as soon as we can."

"Of-of course! Where is your father? He's not- not-"

"I do not think so, Endago, but he did chase off after... something. I had expected him to be here by now." She thinks for a moment before continuing, "Direct him to the Hard Rock Cafe and Inn when he gets here, please."

Inera turns to Dean. "I am not sure if you want to be with me when I tell his wife the bad news although I am not stopping you from coming. She want to know the stranger that risked his life to recover his body.

"If you would rather, you can head straight to the Inn as it is getting quite late." [OOC: about 11 PM] She points Dean in the right direction.

"Alternatively, you can ask around for a bit before meeting me back at the Hard Rock. Father and I don't know why you were up there, but someone around here might. You must have gone this way if you ended up near our cottage."

XiaoTie
2010-01-03, 02:39 AM
HP 54/55[/table]

For some reason Dean feels within him that he wasn't good at dealing with situations like the one that would be ahead of him were he to go to Wurtz's house and meet the widow. "I have a feeling that it would be for the best of all our interests if I don't follow you to Wurtz's house", Dean sighs, "Nevertheless, I will take your advice and meet you at this Hard Rock Cafe Inn. I am still rather wounded".

Dean waits until he makes sure Inera got to the house safely, and the he tries to make his way to the Inn, asking around if need be. Once there Dean waits until Inera returns, making sure to talk to anyone that might seem to remember him for some reason.

KingRexII
2010-01-03, 09:11 AM
"Thank you, sir knight," she says to Dean as they part ways. "I will make sure to tell her of your part in his recovery. She will know of your bravery."

As Dean walks to the Inn, he can sense the eyes of many curious strangers. The murmuring follows him as he walks, but no one is brave enough to accost him directly. Trying to ask anyone else on the street is futile as most just shake their heads and move on their way. It also doesn't help that Dean sticks out like a sore thumb. While everyone else is dressed in dirty clothes and well-worn armor. Only Dean's shines with the cavern's lights.

At the Inn, the main room looks fairly empty, but there are still some barflies drinking at the bar. A woman dressed in plain clothes comes up to Dean, saying, "You must be lookin' for a room, sweetheart. You look like you can use a nice, warm bed."

XiaoTie
2010-01-04, 11:56 AM
[/table]

Dean's walk through the street didn't prove to be as good as he hoped to be. Deep down he hoped someone would recognize him and tell him all about who he was, even though he knew, from what Harket said earlier, that he didn't seem to be someone from that region. But that hope was quickly silenced, not by the way people treated him as a strange, but by the greater will that filled his body and mind with the desire to help. "It doesn't matter who I was, I must first help them, and then...maybe I will find out who I was".

Already at the Inn, he was trying to get to a table, so he could wait for Harket and Inera. Once the woman approaches him, he nods "I do need to rest, but I also must wait for someone".

[OOC]
Sorry about taking a while, I thought I could post earlier from work, but I couldn't. With problems already solved, now I'll be back to the regular rate of posting we had last week :D

KingRexII
2010-01-04, 02:13 PM
"A woman, right? You look vaguely familiar. Didn't you pass by here a few days ago?" She thinks hard to herself. "Oh! Your names escape me, though. Sorry -- what were they again?"

Dean notices that she's quite the fetching elf. She looks out of place deep within these mountains although she does dress the part.

XiaoTie
2010-01-04, 03:45 PM
[OOC]
Can I try a Sense Motive (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/senseMotive.htm) check to have a hunch about what the elf woman is saying? As in, if I have a hunch that she is lying to me, or not! :thog: If you want, you could roll for it yourself (as a hidden roll) and then I wouldn't really know the dice result, just the "You have a hunch that she is lying/telling the truth"

KingRexII
2010-01-04, 04:12 PM
[OOC:

Absolutely! *rolling* Okey-dokey. From what Dean can tell, she's trustworthy. He senses no deception.

Oh, by the way, 1000 XP for Dean.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-04, 09:03 PM
[/table]

Dean seems rather surprised that someone actually knew him from before the amnesia, or at least it seems someone knows him, even though this person doesn't even know his name. "Deanarius Indastor. And, truth be told, I don't remember this place, or about ever being here. But I am, indeed, waiting for a woman and her father, they brought me here to this outpost".

Dean takes a quick look around, trying to remember the place, only to be reminded of how much his brains dislikes remembering. He closes his eyes and rubs his forehead, then smiles "And who might you be, miss?"

KingRexII
2010-01-04, 10:18 PM
"Zahn. You can call me Zahn."

She puts a coy finger to her lips. "Now, let's see... Deanarius..." As if repeating it would help her remember, she says that name out loud a few more times. "I guess I haven't heard of you before. But I could've sworn that someone else dressed up like you came by a few days ago. He was with a woman -- gnome or halfling, I think. I can never tell those two apart..."

"Anyway, you can talk to Marcus over there at the bar. He can set you up with a room or a drink, if that's what you need. Anything else" -- she adds a wink -- "you come to me, sugar." She gives Dean another sly smile before starting to turn away.

XiaoTie
2010-01-05, 09:13 AM
[/table]

Since the woman did not seem to have any reasons to lie (or so he thought) at least now Dean knew something about his past: he either had a twin brother who dressed just like him, or, what is more likely, he had, indeed, been to this city before, with a halfling or gnome woman. Not that it mattered, since Dean had made the decision to focus on the issues at hand before trying to discover about his past, but if his past was going to show up in front of him out of nowhere Dean was not a man that would complain about it.

He nodded before Zahn left, and took her advice and headed to Marcus, and after asking for a room for himself and Harket, and another for Inera, he waited there until those two arrived, "I hope sir Harket is ok, the poor girl wouldn't be able to handle two deaths in a day..."

KingRexII
2010-01-05, 10:25 AM
While Zahn continues to flirt with the last remaining barflies, Marcus -- a plump and grumpy-looking dwarf -- dangles two keys over the counter. He says unceremoniously, "One gold piece, 5 silver for the two rooms." [Assuming Dean pays] He drops the keys onto the counter and goes back to work.

After another fifteen minutes, Inera walks back in, looking more peeved than conerned when she does not she her father. She purses her lips and informs Dean tersely, "It looks like he won't be coming in tonight, and I am much too drained to search for him right now. Let us rest, and we'll figure out what to do in the morning." She speaks more as a parent of an insubordinate child rather than that of a worried daughter.

[OOC:

If you're ready, I can press fast forward to the next thing.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-05, 11:29 AM
[/table]

Dean nods and gives the man the gold coin and the 5 silver ones, keeping the key on his hands while waiting for Harket and Inera. He sat on one of the empty chairs, hoping the hunter was ok.

Once Inera arrives he stands up and walks to her, "Very well then", he gives her a key to her room and tries to comfort her, even though she doesn't really seem to need any, "I'm sure your father can take care of himself".

[OOC]
I'm ready when you are :D

Sheet updated with the 1000XP and -1.5 gp

KingRexII
2010-01-05, 02:33 PM
[OOC:

I should probably ask: With the Ring of Sustenance, Dean only needs 2 hours of sleep. What's he planning on doing after 2 AM? Just sleep some more?

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-05, 03:45 PM
[OOC]
He wakes up and starts training and meditating, some habits that, somehow, got past the amnesiac hole in his mind

KingRexII
2010-01-05, 08:33 PM
Sleep is quite restful. One thing different about sleeping underground is the general stillness. No leaves rustling. No crickets chirping. The rocks just sit in place in silence, and any sounds out there seem to be absorbed by the walls themselves.

So when there is a considerable level of din when whispers of morning come. The fake moonlight that Dean can see in his window gives way to an uncanny sun that slowly begins to travel along the high cave's ceiling. The city begins to come alive. [OOC: It is about 6 AM now and the late night probably means Inera will be sleeping in.]

At the inn from his room, Dean can hear the self-muted shouts of a man and woman. You can recognize the voice as belonging to Marcus and Zahn.

"... Again!? That's the third time this month! I thought you said you'd do something about it!" Zahn does not sound as amicable as when Dean first met her.

"Not so loudly, Carizahn! The guests will hear you!" Marcus sounds a little more emotional now.

"Ugh" is the last thing that is audible from Dean's room.

[OOC:

Muscle memory stuff is definitely something that Dean would remember. Otherwise, he wouldn't be so hot using his weapons! :smalleek:

Oh, one more note -- he's no longer fatigued. Other than some occasional aches, he should be good to go!

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-05, 09:06 PM
[/table]

Dean spent the hours after sleep to train, something he wasn't quite sure how he remembered, but it was a good thing he did. Afterwards he spent a few hours meditating, trying to establish some sort of connection between his soul and the Deity represented by the Holy Symbol on his chest.

After was done training, meditating, and had already washed himself, he grew curious about what could be going on downstairs, and it was already early morning, which meant Harket could, hopefully, have arrived. And so, curiosity and hope led him down the stairs, still in the normal clothes, covered by a blue cloak, he normally wore under his armor.

KingRexII
2010-01-05, 10:10 PM
As Dean walks down the stairs, he can hear more of the argument a-brewing. Still in animated whispers and even more animated gestures, Marcus and Zahn fight like two mimes. They do not even sense Dean's entrance into the main room.

XiaoTie
2010-01-06, 07:37 AM
[/table]

[OOC]
Fighting like two mimes?

Dean decides to remain unseen for now, trying to understand the situation some more before interfering with whatever is going on between Marcus and Zahn.

KingRexII
2010-01-06, 10:07 AM
[OOC]

Yeah... I was looking for an analogy here where two people are gesticulating as if they were going to attack each other, but aren't physically touching each other. Then with the addition of near silence... I thought "Hey! That's like two mimes fighting each other." In retrospect, I guess that imagery doesn't quite evoke the feeling I was going for. :smallredface:

They continue to argue for a few moments before Zahn turns around and grunts exasperatedly. She turns around, throwing her hands up into the air and then wrapping her shawl around herself more tightly. She finally notices Dean. She speaks with a great deal more wit and sarcasm. She also seems to know more than she let on last night.

She points at Dean and yells at him through clenched teeth. "You! Holy warrior, my ass. None of your order has done anything to help us around here! Month after month for the past year -- you traipse in here flaunting your righteous ideals and yet you've done nothing about it. You just blow in here, take what you need and leave without even ridding our streets of these petty crooks!" Her anger shows deep red on her cheeks. "And you tip worse than a gnome priest."

XiaoTie
2010-01-06, 10:17 AM
[/table]

"I...wait, what? Excuse me, but I have no idea about what order you are talking about. I just woke up outside this outpost two days ago nearly dead and borderline total amnesiac. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to help against whatever the scholar Wurtz was studying before his death" Dean remains calm, despite clearly puzzled by the storm that Zahn turned out to be, "But if you calmed down and control your anger outburst, maybe then we could have a conversation and you could explain what is going on here", he pauses for a few seconds and then raises his finger as if he remembered something, "And why would I tip you? You have provided no services whatsoever".

[OOC]
Nice one "You tip worse than a gnome priest" XD

KingRexII
2010-01-06, 11:34 AM
"No serv-" Zahn begins to stutter angrily, but her emotions seem to have shut off her ability to speak. She storms out of the inn in a huff.

"Thanks, lad," the dwarf chimes in. "Ya took off a lotta steam comin' at my direction. At least she will na be so mad at me when she finally returns." He walks up to the paladin and looks Dean in the eye (as best as a dwarf can when he's staring at a 5' 11" human).

"Ya really lost yer memories, lad? Ya really dinnae know 'bout yer own people? If so, I think we can help each other out." Through his rough beard, he smiles a gritty, scheming grin.

XiaoTie
2010-01-06, 12:38 PM
[/table]

Still puzzled by the way the female elf reacted it took him a while to realize the dwarf was in front of him, nevertheless, he noticed the scheming grin "And just how are you proposing we could help each other out?

[OOC]
Can we have another Sense Motive check? :thog:

KingRexII
2010-01-06, 02:17 PM
"Och. Dannae worry, lad. I know you holy types. I wouldna be askin' ye if I thought youda smite me just fer suggestin' it."

He explains, "I been tracking these hooligans, and I ken find 'em within the hour. Now, there be more than I ken handle, I'm sure of it, but with a little muscle by my side, I ken get my money back 'fore we even open fer th' day. Hells, we'll be back 'fore yer girlfriend over there wakes up.

"In exchange fer helpin' me get those thieving bastards, I'll tell ya all I know 'bout yer friends and their visits here. They try to be all cloak 'n' dagger from the general populace, but they cannae fool ol' Marcus. Whaddya say, lad?"

[OOC:

Sense motive check -- you get sense that he is trustworthy... to a point. As long as you hold up your end of the bargain, he's more than willing to hold up his end. However, you also get the feeling that if things don't go quite exactly the way he wants things to go, he would be more than happy to cheat you of what you want.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-06, 02:47 PM
[/table]

Dean considers the dwarf's proposition for a few seconds, looking the dwarf straight in the eyes as he does so. "He could be setting me up, or maybe these troublemakers are not troublemakers at all..."

"Tell you what master dwarf. If you tell me what did these hooligans do to you, and if you can do so without telling me a lie, then I'll help you to bring them to the authorities. What do you say?"

[OOC]
I'll Sense Motive his answer :D

KingRexII
2010-01-06, 04:18 PM
The grin on Marcus's face turns a smidge sour. "Och. See! That's the kinda mistrustin' attitude that people 'round here hate. We wouldna survive here if we didna trust each other. The monsters out there woulda swallowed up this city fer sure."

"Blast it all -- I've got nothin' ta hide. Our safe's been robbed three times in as many weeks. The first two times, they took our last day's take, a total of bout 200 gp. Not much for people like you, but for us that's a fortune.

"This last time was worse. Not only did they nick 'nother 75 gp, but they also took one o' our guest's trinkets. He gave ta us fer safe keepin', and we went an' lost it! It must be worth at least 500 gp. There's no way we can repay 'im fer losin' it.

"Now, what, laddie? My cause worthy of yer help?" Marcus asks with healthy dose of bitterness.

[OOC:

Dean sense no deception in his answer.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-06, 09:00 PM
[/table]

Dean nods "You have to understand that I try my best not to wrong anyone, and simply walking up and attacking someone for a reason I did not know could end up with me doing the wrong thing, master dwarf", he puts his right hand on the dwarf's shoulder and continues, "But now that I now your reason I would feel honored to be of any aid in your cause, if only we can try and take them to the authorities, if possible, that is. Let me just don my armor and I shall be back down in a few instants".

Dean heads back to his room and dons his armor, also grabbing his morningstar, sword and shield, and he makes sure to strap the shield's leather string to his back so he can just drop it whenever he doesn't need it, and switch for the more brutal greatsword. He heads downstairs after all is ready "When do we start?".

KingRexII
2010-01-06, 09:58 PM
Marcus, who too has geared up, answers back with a mischievous smile, "Let the hunt begin!" He looks all too happy to see Dean's sword and morningstar. He scribbles a quick note, places it on the counter and leads Dean out, locking the door behind him.

Outside, only the early morning laborers are out. Even the street urchins are still sleeping. Marcus sniffs the air, examines the ground and looks around the area around the front door. Presumably he is somehow tracking the robbers.

XiaoTie
2010-01-07, 05:24 AM
[/table]

Dean awaits patiently while Marcus tracks down the criminals. He stays alert and keeps his hands still far from the hilt of his weapons, since there is no need for them right now. Yet.

He then wonders what kind of life did the dwarf had before becoming a innkeeper, since he is, presumably, a quite efficient hunter on his own.

KingRexII
2010-01-07, 08:10 AM
"Och, lad! Donnae jus' stand there! Help me! Ask 'round! If we want ta find 'em quickly, I need all the help I can get! Jus'... ask those men over there if they saw anyone sneakin' 'round." Marcus continues to look for tracks.

[OOC:

If you want, aid another involves a DC 10 Gather Information check. If you're wondering, I'm using the Urban Tracking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#urbanTracking) rules. More on what you actually find later today.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-07, 10:04 AM
[/table]

"Oh, sorry about that master dwarf, I just thought you would fare better without me. I will get on helping", and having said that Dean walks towards the group of men indicated by the dwarf, following from there to any of the early laborers that are on the street. And on and on, constantly reporting back to Marcus, until the dwarf has enough information to find them.

[OOC]
[Untrained] Gather Information -I- check: [roll0]
[Untrained] Gather Information -II- check: [roll1]
[Untrained] Gather Information -III- check: [roll2]

Extra checks rolled in case you need them

Those were some damn low rolls...I get the feeling this die-roller doesn't really like me. First the low stats, then the low combat rolls, and now this! :smalltongue:

KingRexII
2010-01-07, 11:20 AM
Marcus is true to his words, and by the end of an hour, he leads the two vigilantes through a less respectable part of the cavern. The looks of awe and trepidation that Dean gets are replaced with sneers and glares. Through a secluded tunnel on the edge of the outpost, Marcus follows the trail. At the end, the main cavern's fake sunlight barely pierces through to the other end. [Consider lighting to be 'shadowy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#visionAndLight)' with patches of darkness.]

There stands the dark outline of a forgotten house. Simple and dilapidated, the windows are boarded up, but the door looks fairly new. Between the spaces of the slats and underneath the door, a light source from inside can be seen.

Standing behind the tunnel's wall [which is about 30' from the door], Marcus whispers to Dean, "Well, your turn to lead, lad. I'll be right behind ya." He unsheathes two dwarven waraxes as he looks toward the door.

XiaoTie
2010-01-07, 01:50 PM
[/table]

Dean nods, but points toward the house "I will go inside, full force, and you follow me once the door is down". He then unsheathes his greatsword, just before muttering an old prayer he learned in the days before his amnesia¹, and touches his own chest.

"One...two...three! and he is off towards the door as a lion ready to pounce over a prey. He runs wildly towards the door, greatsword held in front of him as if it was a lance, trying to knock the door off of its hinges.

[OOC]
¹Cast Protection from Evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm), which will last for 1 minute/level

Trying to knock the door down with a charge. If you rule it is a strength check, do I get the bonuses from Charge to it?

STR check to knock down the door (no charge bonus): [roll0]

No, seriously, these dices hate me

KingRexII
2010-01-07, 02:51 PM
Dude. Dice hate.

Dean crashes against the door, but bounces back. While the lights inside begin to dance and chitter, Marcus does not wait for the paladin to recuperate; he begins to start chopping at the door with his axes. The door holds, but it does look easier to smash through now.

XiaoTie
2010-01-07, 03:03 PM
[/table]

Dean takes a few steps back, "Ok, that could have gone a tad better. Let's try one more time", and then charges against the door once more when he sees a chance not to get caught by Marcus' axes. This time, however, he runs with his shoulders first, throwing all of his, and his armor's, weight against the door.

[OOC]
Knock that door Down check: [roll0]

KingRexII
2010-01-07, 09:14 PM
Dean busts the door open just in time to see the lights that used to illuminate the room disappear. By the faintest of lights, he can see a piles of coins, weapons, chains and other bits of metal.

Marcus walks in. With his darkvision, he can see much better, but it seems there's nothing much else to see. "Well, lad. Looks like we won't be needin' me axes this mornin'. Nothin' here but my coins and gem and a few other items fer our trouble. Not too bad, eh?"

No sooner had Marcus spoken those words that not-too-bad turned much worse. The metal piles on the floor begin to jingle and move on their own. Larger pieces clang together, forming a makeshift torso. Longer bits attach underneath and around the torso, creating leg- and arm-like appendages. A helm attaches itself on top, but backwards, while a few of the gold coins create a deformed face on the helm's surface. In the middle of this quickly forming mass of metal is a red gem, the one that Marcus spoke of. It acts like a heart for this monster.

Meanwhile, Marcus curses loudly in dwarven.

[OOC:

Ooo... just missed them! But just in time to roll initiative and post a first round action!

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-08, 04:21 AM
HP 55/55
Spells Protection from Evil
Initiative 21
[/table]

"What in the nine hells is that?", and Dean readies his greatsword in order to hack the abomination into pieces, maybe they could still get to the criminals, "It is almost impossible, but maybe we can still get to them...".

As soon as possible Dean will move towards the creature, trying to hack away the gem that seems to have brought it to "life", crossing his greatsword from right to the left in order to hit it.

[OOC]
Initiative roll: [roll0]

Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage roll: [roll2]

"3" since holding the two-handed weapon on both hands, and I think that makes the STR mod*1.5, correct me if I'm wrong, and apparently I cant access my sheet from work.

And damn, missed the thieves =/

Edit: :O look at those rolls

KingRexII
2010-01-08, 10:05 AM
This room looks like it was the main gathering place in the house. It is a good sized room at 15' by 15' with its ceiling at 10'. The are two doors (well, at least there used to be) -- the one that Dean smashed through and another one in the back left. The metal creature is at the back of the room when it first animates.

[Round 1]

Dean acts quickly to dismantle the creature, striking at its heart. The coins on its head rearrange to form a scowl as his strike hits. Marcus responds, "I dannae know, but whatever it is, watch th' gem! I need that back!"

The innkeeper maneuvers himself around the room, trying to get a flank, but failing to find a proper spot. He strikes at the creature with one of his axes, but it swooshes through one of the gaps in the metal.

The animated shrapnel shifts slightly to the left toward the unbroken door, and in one violent action, its appendages smash against the door, shattering it into ragged chunks of wood.

[OOC:

Round 1 finish; round 2 actions please]

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-08, 12:14 PM
HP 55/55
Initiative 21
Round 02
[/table]

Dean follows the creature's movement, and once he closes the distance between them once more, he slashes away with his greatsword, this time with a bit more careful not to hit the gem.

[OOC]

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

KingRexII
2010-01-08, 12:27 PM
[Round 2]

Dean hits the creature, though not as hard as before. Marcus follows suit, but he seems to have terrible luck, whiffing on both tries. Now with an open door, the creature escapes into the next room, which is even darker than the current one. It does, however, leave itself open for an attack each from Dean and Marcus. And for a fourth time, Marcus misses. "Blasted beast! ...or whatever it is!"

As Dean peers into the next room, he cannot see where it went.

[OOC:

AoO for Dean, if he wishes to take it. Round 2 finished; round 3 actions, please.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-08, 01:21 PM
HP 55/55
Initiative 21
[/table]

Round 02 AoO

Dean makes use of the opening and swings his sword the creature one more time before it vanishes in the darkness.

[OOC]

Round 03

Once the creature is inside the dark room, he goes for a small golden rod hanging on the side of his backpack, cracks it and holds the rod up, which starts to glow in a white light, just before moving into the room, towards the creature.

"Hum, the creature seems smart enough to run from us. Maybe..."

[OOC]

Standard action: Use the sunrod (x1) from the backpack; [x0 sunrods]
Move action: Move towards the creature, if possible 0' between it and Dean;

And apparently my bad luck has rubbed on the dwarf Aaand it is back to me

KingRexII
2010-01-08, 01:36 PM
Dean, too, misses the fleeing metal-man.

[Round 3]

The sunrod brings needed light into the darkness. It illuminates the next room completely. It is a smaller room, 10' x 10', that has one door opening opposite Dean's position and another one to the right wall. It seems that the doors to the current rooms were the only ones that were fixed. The doorways in this now-lit room are bereft of anything.

The room itself is furnished with a beat-up, half-eaten couch and a broken table. The creature's movement through the room has kicked up a considerable amount of dust, but its path is not completely obvious.

[OOC:

With the new information, I will allow you to change any actions right after the previous post, which means that Dean should have a move action left and still have the lit sunrod in his hand. For now, we will stick around in the middle of Dean's action, round 3.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-08, 01:52 PM
HP 55/55
Initiative 21[/table]

Round 03

Once the sunrod is lit, Dean carries it in his left hand, while using his right hand to carry the greatsword. From here, Dean couldn't think much about where to go, there were only two doors, and thus, a fifty percent chance he would be right, and it is better to be fifty percent right chasing a running metal man, than zero percent right, with no criminals or metal man to chase.

Just when he was about to give chase through the door to the right, he remembered that Marcus was an expert tracker, "Master dwarf, can you inspect this room quickly enough to tell me where it went, so we can pursue it?"

[OOC]
Holding move action until after Marcus replies/acts, if possible. Otherwise, give chase to the creature going to the door on the wall to the right

KingRexII
2010-01-08, 04:36 PM
[Rest of round 3]

"Och, lad. I donnae see anythin'. If I had a few more seconds..." Dean does not wait and decisively goes to the door on the right. Marcus responds, "Right, lad. I'll go th' other way," and the dwarf escapes in the other direction.

Dean enters another dark-but-now-lit-room that is the same size as the previous one. It has an empty bookshelf and a staircase. You notice that, except for the dust seeping in from the previous room, the air here is fairly clear and still.

From behind Dean, he hears the dwarf grunt in pain.

[OOC:

Round 3 is finished; round 4 actions, please.

:smalltongue: Wrong door. :smallbiggrin:

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-08, 04:55 PM
HP 55/55
Initiative 21[/table]

Round 04

Dean curses as he hears Marcus' grunting in pain, and backtracks to the previous room, into the room where the dwarf went. Once he gets there he shoves the sunrod on his belt, getting ready to strike it once it leaves an opening. "Behind me master dwarf! I will cover your offense".

[OOC]
Standard action: Attack if possible

Move action: Get back to the previous room, and in range to attack the creature if possible

Well, crap :thog:

KingRexII
2010-01-08, 05:50 PM
[Rest of round 4]

Dean runs back to the other doorway and find Marcus grappling with the metal man. "I would if I could, paladin, but I'm a little busy right now."

Dean's sword clangs against the metal body, denting another section of it. Marcus tries to break free and nearly does when his grip slips. This allows the metal man to wrap itself around the dwarf. Its torso opens up and swallows him up. The helm clamps itself onto Marcus's head while his coins cover his eyes. Only his mouth and nose are exposed.

"Moradin help me!" Marcus calls out.

It looks like it will be difficult to hit the metal only. Hurting it will mean hurting Marcus.

[OOC:

Round 4 finished; round 5 actions, please.

Oh, dear.:smalleek:

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-09, 07:53 AM
HP 55/55
Initiative 21[/table]

Round 05

Dean tries to find a way not to hurt the dwarf as much, and after a split second he raises his greatsword and it gainst a faint bluish aura, "Begone, foul creature!" and brings the sword down upon the metal creature, trying his best not to harm Marcus.

[OOC]

Standard action: Attack

Let's hope the creature is Evil and Marcus isn't :smalleek:

Oh Lord...I just HAD to crit when there is a chance to kill an ally...:smallfrown:

XiaoTie
2010-01-09, 07:55 AM
[OOC]
If you go by Confirming Crits core rule, heres the roll
Confirm Critical roll: [roll0]

KingRexII
2010-01-11, 10:33 PM
[OOC:

Hey XiaoTie, sorry for the extended absence, but I've been stricken with a doozy of a bug. I'm finally starting to feel at least a little better. I'm hoping that tomorrow morning, I'll be back in the saddle.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-12, 01:55 AM
[OOC]
No problem mate, just take care of yourself first, we don't want this happening to our gme: http://www.giantitp.com/Images/fanart/ootslate1.gif

KingRexII
2010-01-12, 11:58 PM
[Round 5]

Dean's particularly well-placed holy strike doesn't seem to affect the metal creature at all. Marcus, on the other hand, is struck squarely in his guts. The sacred power does not seem to cause him extra pain, however.

Marcus fights through the pain and once again tries to rip off the helmet from his head. The creature overpowers his arms, though, and keeps them locked by Marcus's side. Then, Dean can see a glow of magical energy spill out of the sparse holes in the helmet. The dwarf yells in pain, but then screams out blindly into the air, "It's tryin' to control me! Kill me if ya hafta, lad, but donnae let it take my mind!"

[OOC:

Round 5 finished; round 6 actions, please. And if I was not explicit enough: the metal creature was not affect by either the smite nor the critical. Marcus was not affected by the smite, but was affected by the critical. Bummer.

I'm still recovering over here so posting should still continue, but at a slower pace. *scratched space rats off list of next encounters*

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-13, 04:42 AM
HP 55/55
Initiative 21[/table]

Round 06

Dean freezes for a split second, "What should I do...", but as quickly as the man froze he came back, sheathed his greatsword and jumped on the back of the metal man, trying to grab and pull the head back so Marcus could have a chance to get away.

[OOC]
And then the paladin tried to Grapple. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)

So, if it AoOs me, then it would have to stop grabbing Marcus :elan: Then again, it seems to be grappling with Marcus, so it probably couldn't AoO me. If it IS grappling Marcus, then my Melee Attack roll to start the grapple Auto-succeeds :elan:

[Step 1] Creature's AoO
[Step 2]{If AoO doesn't deal damage}Melee Attack roll targeting touch AC(needed to start a grapple): [roll0]
[Step 3]{If previous one hit}Grapple Check roll (BAB+STR): [roll1]

KingRexII
2010-01-13, 03:12 PM
[Round 6]

Dean successful grabs onto the creature, and even with his help Marcus is unable to free himself. Like some strange wrestling scene, the human, the metal man and the dwarf vie for position. Feeling that losing is now the only conclusion available to it, the creature pauses for split second and then... explodes.

The concussive force is sufficient to fling the well-armored Dean back into the smaller room from which he came. He slams against the wall, cracking and nearly creating a new hole. [OOC: Dean takes 23 damage from the shrapnel of the explosion and another 10 damage for slamming against the wall. Ouch.]

Marcus, on the other hand, seems to suffer only from the large gash he received from Dean's sword. He sits stupidly at the previous epicenter of the explosion, untouched by the exploding metal. He stands up quickly, shouting, "The gem!" and starts to search frantically.

[OOC:

Combat ended. Ka-boom.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-13, 03:30 PM
HP 22/55[/table]

Dean slowly tries to get up, stumbling and going down a couple times before he manages to successfully stay up, "Ok, maybe I grappled something way bigger than this thing before I got amnesiac".

Holding his bleeding left arm, which took most of the impact when he hit the wall, Dean walks towards the room where the explosion happened, stumbling his way only to see the dwarf going nuts after the gem. "Why is the gem so important, master dwarf?"

[OOC]
...Duuuuuuude, that was AWESOME! Very very veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery cool way to end the combat!

KingRexII
2010-01-13, 07:58 PM
"500 gp, remember? Zahn'll have my hide without it," he answers without looking up. He winces in pain from the large gap in his flank.

"Did the 'splosion knock out yer memories, lad?" He stands up for a moment and gives Dean a wry look.

XiaoTie
2010-01-13, 08:42 PM
HP 36/55[/table]

"I don't think so, no. It is just that when you said 500 gp I thought you meant that they stole 500 coins, instead of something that is worth 500 coins", he takes a look around, vaguely poking the debris where the explosion happened with his greatsword. "Well, we better hurry, if those guys come back while we are hurt like we are....

With that said, he adjusts the belt on his waist twice, and a thin and, as weak layer of a bluish light surrounds his body, part of the wounds on his arm start healing, making the blood flow a little slower.

[OOC]
Using one charge of the Healing Belt
[roll0]

KingRexII
2010-01-13, 11:17 PM
The healing from the belt causes wounds to mend while simultaneously extruding burnt and blasted shrapnel. Bent and charred coins and other random bits clatter onto the floor. However, there is one larger thud. A blackened, gem-sized object lands next to Dean's left foot.

Marcus does not seem to have noticed. "C'mon, lad. Help me or heal me! Donnae jus' stand there adjustin' yer belt!"

XiaoTie
2010-01-14, 04:28 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean waits, going through some pain, as the strange objects leave his body, one by one tearing a bit of flesh some more just before it is healed . When the jewel is expeled from his body he looks down for a couple of seconds wondering what the hell it was doing inside of his body.

After recovering from the shock, he grabs, with his left hand, a thin wooden stick, with many runes carved on its extention, and walks towards Marcus. "Okay now master dwarf, stand still.". He touches the dwarf's head with the wooden stick for about three seconds. Soon after that Marcus' body starts to be enveloped in a bluish dim aura, which slowly is absorved by his body, and disappears.

Once the healing is done, he points his greatsword to where the jewel fell, "The jewel is over there, master dwarf."

[OOC]
Using 3 charges of my wand (47/50). Hum, I'm not really good with magic casters, but IIRC the caster level is your class level on the class that casts the spell? If it isn't then feel free to adjust the ammount of HP that heals Marcus.
[Assuming CL=5] Cure Light Wounds (x3): [roll0]

KingRexII
2010-01-14, 09:02 AM
"Och. Thank ye, lad. I was worried one o' my organs was gonna fall out," he says graciously. Marcus looks nearly healed. After being pointed toward the jewel, the dwarf rushes to it.

"Eeh... This is gonna be hard to explain..." he mutters as he tries to clean it off with his clothes. "Och, best be on our way, right lad, before everyone else wakes up? I'll figure out somethin' along the way. We done here or do ya think there's somethin' more here?"

[OOC:

Wands are bought with the caster level set. The base cost (which is market price) for crafting a wand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#craftWand) is [spell level] x [caster level] x 750. So if you paid 750 gp for a CLW wand, it means that the caster level was set at 1 when it was crafted. I've set the amount of healing to Marcus appropriately.

Oh, by the way, Dean earned a cool 500 XP, but all the coins and other objects are destroyed. You may be able to salvage it for scrap metal, though.

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-14, 09:37 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

"It wasn't a problem master dwarf, you were a brave ally in this battle, healing you was the right thing to do", and Dean starts looking around. His eyes shift from one corner to another, searching for something that not even Dean knows what it is.

He turns to Marcus, "Do you think those thieves are going to use this place as their base of operations again? If so, we could burn this place down, as long as it doesn't actually belong to someone", he sighs, "Otherwise, we should, indeed, get going"

[OOC]
Ooooh, thanks, now I know :D
and woohoo XP! :elan:

KingRexII
2010-01-14, 10:08 AM
Marcus more concerned about the gem itself rather than dealing with the house. "Donnae know anybody livin' here fer many years now." Then, he considers for a moment: "Well, at least legally...

"This part o' the caverns near got much care. Someone was foolhardy enough to build a house here, not realizin' that the Sun an' the Moon don't reach here. After they left, squatters come here from time to time until they find somethin' better." The dwarf begins to walk back outside.

"Burn it if you'd like. Mebbe stop those damn thieves fer a l'il bit."

For you information, there does not look like there is much room in this particular cave -- just enough for the house really. It separate by a tunnel from the rest of the city.

XiaoTie
2010-01-14, 10:45 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Realizing that, despite his desire, he doesn't have the material to burn the place down, and thus give a hard time to the thieves who managed to escape, Dean shrugs, "We'll come back some other time with enough material to burn it down. For now, I think a trip back to your Inn is more than welcome. And while we are on our way, we could start talking about what you know about my past, even though if it is only about this Order..."

KingRexII
2010-01-14, 01:53 PM
Marcus stuffs the jewel into the hidden pocket inside his tunic. "Right, lad. Let's get outta here." And he leads the two out.

Along the way, Marcus continually keeps checking on the gem's location. He starts to explain, "It started a l'il over a year ago. At first, it was jus' small teams, two maybe three, people, fully cloaked. They clearly dinnae want to be known or seen. They always pay in advance and only fer one room, no matter how many actually came. And they'd never take in any other services. They'd jus' leave th' city in the mornin' and come back late at night. Not a single drink or meal. Not a single coin placed in the purses of Zahn or her other ladies, though th' gods know she tried.

"Their armor was like yours, lad. With th' same colorin' and style. They spoke like you too, all proper and polite. I dinnae mind really. Never gave me or my other customers any trouble. Figure it was a nice steady income.

"But then, yer numbers started to grow, jus' a couple of months ago. More and more of you came, 'bout weekly now. The city started to notice, and I started to ask more questions, 'bout where they came from and who they were. Everyone refused to answer. It was not until late one night that--"

Marcus stops short and realizes where he is. The sign out front of the store says "Olomdoop's Jewelers." "Hold on, lad. I'm gonna get this gem cleaned up first. Cannae be givin' this back in this state. Be right back."

XiaoTie
2010-01-14, 02:03 PM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean hangs onto the words that come out of the dwarf's mouth, even though he had forsaken finding out who he actually was, the man had some curiosity in him. Perhaps that kind of information could even help him to understand the current situation that was taking place in that city. He didn't really thought about it, for now, and spent that time absorbing the bits of information.

Once the dwarf abruptly stoped the conversation, Dean felt as the crowd to a great bard which decides to up and stop telling the ancient tales. Not that Marcus' was as good as a bard, but the story, Dean felt, could help him to uncover clues to what was going on.

"Are you sure they are awake? Well, if you really want to, I'll be waiting out here for you master dwarf. Shout if you need any assistance".

KingRexII
2010-01-14, 03:19 PM
"Ah, thanks, lad," the dwarf says as he leaves the store. "Olomdoop never sleeps. I mean I've walked by here at some weird hours, and he's always awake an' in his shop. A l'il scary, really. Nonetheless, he does some good work." He pats a small bulge in his tunic.

"Ah, where was I? Och, right... I was waitin' to close the Inn fer the night; I knew that th' group of six was gonna be back eventually. I let everyone else stay since I wasnae doin' anythin' else. One o' th' drunk barflies stood up to leave and accidentally crashed into the group jus' as they walked in. Musta been a bad mission o' somethin', but the guy he crashed into took it a l'il too hard. He ripped his hood off, yellin' his how-dare-yous and whatnot. Said that one of the Order of th' Grey Wing dinnae hafta deal with such idgits. Heh, how dare he?" Marcus shakes his head.

"Well, things were pretty awkward fer th' next few visits. Cleaned out my bar every weekend, which you can imagine didnae make me happy. Thankfully, it all stopped 'bout two weeks ago. We were expectin' someone last weekend, but none showed. Then you showed up. But yer much nicer than these Grey Wing folks."

It is around 8:30 now, and the 'Sun' is fully shining on most of the city now. The two have reached the Inn. The doors are open, and it looks as if Zahn is working the bar and greeting the waking customers. Inera appears to still be in her room.

XiaoTie
2010-01-14, 03:33 PM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean continues to listen to Marcus' story, and once they arrive at the Inn he takes a look up to the shinning sun. "I thank you for the information master dwarf, and it makes me feel in debt to you, for it might be of use in my mission, while that combat back in that house was not enough to repay it", he looks back down to the dwarf, with a sincere smile and pats him in the shoulder, "If you ever need me again to fight those thieves, I would be more than glad to aid you".

It seemed the order had started investigating whatever it was that Wurtz found, "Maybe ... just maybe, if I could get a hand on some other piece of this puzzle I could start going after it directly". It was then that he remembered. Wurtz. The dwarf scholar had probably taken some notes on the nature of this, and perhaps they would be of use for Dean. "I hope miss Inera doesn't take long, I wouldn't want to go there by myself".

Once they both got inside the Inn he nodded towards Zahn and sat on a table, waiting for Marcus to solve his problems, whatever they were, with Zahn, and for Inera to come down.

KingRexII
2010-01-14, 10:15 PM
"Heh, you're in my debt, eh? I'll remember that!" With a hearty swat to Dean's back, he runs back to Zahn with the gem high in his hands. Zahn looks absolutely happy to see Marcus, even before he takes out the jewel. They look strange together, a dwarf and an elf, but whatever they have, it seems to work.

Inera gets out of her room, looking very refreshed from a full night's sleep. She is packed and ready to head out. As she comes down the stairs, she looks at Dean quizzically. Once she reaches him, she asks, "What... what happened to you?"

XiaoTie
2010-01-15, 04:55 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean waved his right hand "Don't worry about it, I just helped the Inn owner to go after some bandits" he smiled, "A good morning exercise. Oh, and, if possible, I think it would be nice to take a look at Wurtz's notes, perhaps he has something in there about whatever it is that is creeping inside those tunnels". Dean looked around, and Harket wasn't around, "Has your father arrived? He was a bit preoccupied, but maybe Harket was, somehow, safe.

KingRexII
2010-01-15, 09:31 AM
Inera looks around confused and then looks out the window. She mutters to herself, "I don't think so..." she says distractedly. "How long was I asleep?..." As she is still wondering how Dean was able to get into so much adventure before she finished studying her spellbook, Zahn comes up to them.

"Thank you, Deanarius. I... I guess I was wrong... at least about you. I still think your righteous brethren are cowards, but you. You are honorable." She digs a note up from her dress. I courier sent this message for you and Inera this morning. It looks like a note from Harket. The elf hands the note to Inera, who promptly unfolds the paper and begins to read it.

As she reads it, her face grows concerned. Eventually, she hands the missive to Dean and says, "I will be Madam Tousssade's sending out Sending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm) messages. I will be there for at least an hour, maybe more. You may be able to visit Wurtz's home if you want his notes. I do not have any of them. I... will meet you back here later." She waits a moment for a response before leaving.

the letter:

Inera,
Hunting an old foe, and I need you to reassemble my old team. Tell them it's about "Ix". I am safe for now, and I do not want you to come find me. It is too dangerous. Keep moving through the mountains after you've sent off the messages. Make sure Deanarius gets back above ground.
Harket

XiaoTie
2010-01-15, 09:58 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean nods and smiles as Zahn apologizes to him. It was good to be seen as who you were, instead of being seen as who people thought you were simply due to their experiences with someone that dressed up like you.

As he reads the note handed by Inera, Dean understands fully why the girl looked concerned. Not only was her father away, alone, he was facing an enemy that required help. Before Inera left Dean nodded, "I will go to his house, then. And...don't worry, I'm sure sir Harket can take care of himself".

After Inera leaves, Dean walks out and heads towards where he saw Inera go when they first entered the city a day ago and knocks.

[OOC]
This game is pretty awesome! I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for DMing KingRex :D

KingRexII
2010-01-22, 05:24 PM
The door is answered by a bearded dwarf, dressed in a purple dress. Her voice is husky, but ever so slightly higher than Marcus's voice. "I'm sorry, sir, but this is not a good time. My husband jus' died, and I need ta prepare for his burial. Unless yer here ta pay yer respects -- or happen ta have the skills an' coins to raise 'im -- I mus' ask ya ta leave." She looks quite flustered and emotional.

Behind her, Dean can see the front room. It is stacked with books and papers and lots of odds and ends. Pickaxes and helmets hang on the wall; several dirty pairs of boots line one wall. The house looks well-used.

[OOC:

OK. I think I should be back in the saddle. Ride on!

]

XiaoTie
2010-01-22, 08:47 PM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean bows his head towards the female dwarf, “I am sorry, madam, but I am not capable of resurrecting master Wurtz, otherwise I would have done so a while later when we were on the tunnels and spared you of feeling such pain as you are in now”, he sighs and, somewhat nervous, shifts his body weight from one leg to another; somehow the dwarf’s death weighted over his shoulders.

“I am Daenarius Indastor, and I am traveling with miss Inera, daughter of Harket, I believe you know them, yes? I would be honored in paying my respects to a scholar such as master Wurtz seemed to be, but I would really like, if possible, to take a look on some of his notes. I believe they might help everyone”.

[OOC]
Wooohoo! The game is back :D

KingRexII
2010-01-23, 09:21 PM
"Ah, yer that human that tried ta save ’im. Fer that, ya can certainly look over his notes, but..." She pauses before continuing, "Ya can see fer yerself."

The lady dwarf leads Dean through the front room into the main room. In the middle of the round room, raised by a wooden platform, is Wurtz in a coffin. Along the walls are a myriad of shelves, each one filled with papers and notebooks. On the floor around coffin are desks and tables. There are models of aqueducts, intricate machines and clay sculptures of fountains. It looks like some sort of homage to all the work Wurtz has done.

"If ya can believe it, this is how this room looked like all th’ time. I just need ta prepare th’ body fer burial, but yer free ta look ’round. All his notes are here, I think. Donnae ask me where anything is, though. Only Wurtz himself understood how everything was ordered."

XiaoTie
2010-01-24, 06:49 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean nods as the woman allows him inside the house. With a good share of remorse over his shoulders, for he could have done more to aid Wurtz, Dean walks towards the lifeless dwarf and kneels before the wooden platform, bowing his head and closing his eyes; “I am sorry, master dwarf. I am sorry for leaving you to die when I could have seen that there was a chance that you were still alive, and I should have taken the battle to that blasted lizard. I… I know we were not close, we did not even knew each other, but I am sorry for failing you. May the Gods bless your family, and welcome you in the afterlife”. There he stood for about a minute, mourning the dwarf, but there was something else to do.

Dean rose, and walked towards the shelves, looking, flipping through pages for something that indicated the tunnels, a strange creature, lizard people underground. When it hit him, “Did Wurtz carried any of these notebooks with him all the time? As…a diary perhaps?”.

KingRexII
2010-01-24, 08:25 AM
The pages that Dean picks up has to do with the excavation of some of the early expansion tunnels of the outpost as well as some sketchy schematics of what looks like some sort of large wheeled contraption. They also look like they were written in the Dwarven language.

"Na. He’d use whatever’s handy when an idea struck ’im." She points to some napkins. "Had a thought at th’ Hard Rock Inn ’n’ wrote a few notes in ketchup on those napkins. Donnae even know what they mean." Each napkin had only one or two characters on them.

She considers something for a moment. She speaks again, "Actually, he had a book with ’im when he left a coupla days ago. Surprised it wasna on ’im when ya brought ’im home. That mighta had what yer lookin’ for."

XiaoTie
2010-01-26, 04:36 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean nodded “Perhaps he left it somewhere inside the tunnels…Anyway, I thank you for your time, madam, and I shall pray for you, and may master Wurtz find peace in Moradin’s Halls”. He bowed to her, and left.

This was strange; Dean had no recollection of a book with Wurtz when they were in the cave, “Even though I might have failed to noticed that”, for he was engaged in combat, “Miss Inera would have seen it, and yet she also thought the notes could be Wurtz’ house”.

Dean sighed and tapped his thigh as he tried to come up with a solution to this mystery, but none came to him. Perhaps it would be better to return to the Inn to wait for her, and so he did. Arriving at the Inn he nodded to Marcus, and then sat on a table, waiting for Inera.

KingRexII
2010-01-26, 09:03 AM
Inera returns shortly after Dean arrives. Looking upset, she says, "It seems my cleric friend is no longer here and has moved back to the main city, Da'Bagra. Although it means leaving my father here, I must leave for there immediately. He would not ask me to contact his old group if it were not absolutely important.

"Sir knight, I would surely appreciate your escort to Da'Bagra, but I do know you have concerns of your own. If you still have business here, I would not begrudge you for staying. Da'Bagra is four days' walk away, with only one stop, the output Ka'Dargo, half way through the journey. The way is not as dangerous, and I've made the trip by myself before. Still, company is always welcomed."

XiaoTie
2010-01-26, 09:45 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

“There is a creature lurking beneath the tunnels; deep inside the mountain. However, I would be as good as nothing if I were to enter the tunnels with no knowledge of what the creature is, where exactly it is, and what does it want…”. Nevertheless, any good action is better than no action at all. His brain worked furiously trying to figure out what was the best course of action in order to stop the foul creature that was, somehow (be it through direct or indirect influence) inciting the underworld dwellers to strike at those travelling through the tunnels. Who knows what would come next? That knowledge was far from the grasp of the paladin.

“Before I make any decision, miss Inera, do you happen to know where is a book that Wurtz carried all the time? His wife told me he had the book with him when he left his house, last she saw him”.

KingRexII
2010-01-26, 11:07 AM
"Um. I don't rightly now, though I'm sure she's right. He always brought some notebook whenever he went out in the field, and I'm sure this was no exception. In fact, it's strange that we didn't find any of his usual gear with him." Inera puzzles over possible solutions.

"Someone must have either stolen his gear, or Wurtz left them somewhere in the nearby tunnels. It was near the end of the day when we encountered him... I bet he was sleeping when those blasted lizards attacked! That would explain why he didn't even have anything to defend himself with. I bet his stuff is still in those tunnels."

XiaoTie
2010-01-26, 11:36 AM
HP 36/55[/table]

Dean nodded; light shone upon the pathway he should take. “Very well, then. It shouldn’t take long for me to find where he left his gear. When I do, I shall quickly journey to Da’Bagra, unless something else keeps me here. But don’t wait for me”.

Even though the answer had finally reached him, there was something keeping him preoccupied; that woman saved his life, and this next mission could as well be his last one. And then, he smiled. He was not alone. Even if he failed it was likely that her father would see to the end of this strange and foul creature. “Take care of yourself miss Inera, travel fast and don’t look back”.

After Inera had left, Dean looked for Marcus. If the dwarf wasn’t able to navigate on those tunnels, he was the one that could know someone that was able to.

KingRexII
2010-01-26, 01:24 PM
Inera leaves, "Good luck, sir knight. May our paths cross again, hopefully with more of your memory intact."

Dean accosts Marcus. "Och, lad. I think I've had my fill of adventure today. But Zahn here knows a group thata been adventuring through th' tunnels. They'll gladly help ya out, but they do ask for some coin upfront." The dwarf digs into one of his pockets and pulls out five platinum pieces.

"When I gave back th' gem, the owner was so grateful for it's safekeepin' that he gave me ten o' these beautiful things. Figure half o' them are yer fair share. Should be enough to pay 'em."

Zahn speaks up, "Make sure you've gathered all your things from your room, unless you're planning on staying with us another night. When you are ready, I shall bring you to them."

XiaoTie
2010-01-26, 02:58 PM
HP 49/55[/table]

Dean nodded and pulled the small carved wooden he carried on his belt. A small prayer and a second later, the paladin was covered in a thin blue aura, that flickered three times before dissipating. He stored the wand and made sure he was still carrying his backpack, “Then I believe we are ready to go, all I have is here”, and he taps the backpack over his shoulders.

Before leaving, Dean turned to Marcus, “Once again, it was a pleasure and an honor to work with you master dwarf. I shall pray for our next meeting, and, perhaps, next time those thieves won’t escape”. Humor; it hadn’t come up until now, but it seemed that in his past life the paladin was a more sociable person.

“I am ready miss Zahn, let us go”.

[OOC]
Using 3 charges of the Wand[roll0] HP healed. 44 charges left

KingRexII
2010-01-26, 03:44 PM
The elf leads Dean through the streets of Ka'Szer, which is now quite full of people. It is mid-morning now (around 10 AM), and people are busy with their lives. Dean can now take note of the general population. It comprises mostly of dwarves and gnomes, but there are significant numbers of humans and half-orcs. Halflings are not rare, but there are fewer still of them. Zahn seems to be the only elf or half-elf in the outpost. There are also a handful of other races. There are a couple of grimlocks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm), a gang of dog-faced humanoids and a handful of bugbears (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bugbear.htm). No one seems to mind their presence.

Zahn continues to chauffeur Dean through the city into a slightly seedier part. She points to a dilapidated building with a run down sign, on which is written "Finder's Guild: Adventurer guides for hire."

"Do not let the state of their headquarters dissuade you. They're actually quite good. Unfortunately, most people have no desire to leave the confines of the city, at least in that direction, so money's a bit tight for them. I'll let you introduce yourself." Zahn looks ready to leave you after she finishes showing Dean the way.

XiaoTie
2010-01-26, 08:37 PM
HP 49/55[/table]

It would seem that Dean had previously lived in a place where the racial diversity wasn’t as big and charming as it was here in Ka’Szer, for he was in awe, due to fact he could spot so many different races in a single place, without any visible hatred towards one another.

Dean nodded, and bowed towards Zahn, “I appreciate your kindness, miss Zahn. Take care of yourself, and of sir Marcus”.

Once Zahn leaves, Dean walks to the dilapidated building and knocks on the door, “Hello?”. In case it is open, he enters and takes a look around the first room.

KingRexII
2010-01-26, 09:38 PM
The door opens before Dean gets a chance to knock, as if they have been waiting for him all morning long. A halfling greets him, "How may we serve you today, milord?" Inside is a female gnome behind a desk, picking her fingernails with a dagger. She does not look up at Dean. Standing to her left is a half-orc with his arms folded. He gives Dean a head nod. Finally, a long-haired human sits cross-legged on the floor, meditating on something.

The room itself is as run-down as the outside. The furnishings are sparse with just a desk and a couple of chairs. All four members of the Finder's Guild are poorly dressed.

XiaoTie
2010-01-27, 09:34 AM
HP 49/55[/table]

Dean gives the half-orc a nod, as well, and then turns his attention to the halfling next to him, “Greetings, sir halfling. I was told this was a place where I could find someone to aid me. You see, I need to find something that was lost inside the tunnels, and I am not able to navigate through that place as well as I wanted to be”, Dean takes a look at the guild members, “So I guess what I am trying to say is that I require your services to guide me through the tunnels”.

[OOC]
:o This just gets better and better.

KingRexII
2010-01-27, 11:14 AM
The halfling smiles at being called 'sir'. "Well, well, well, milord, you've come to the right place. Me and my mates are the best around this parts. We can getcha anywhere in them tunnels. Let me introduce you to my colleagues."

He grins brightly, "You can call me Moe. I'm the leader of this intrepid group. I know... quite a bit of things." He tries to brag humbly. He points to the gnome, "Her name's Larry." He looks at Dean and anticipates his confusion. "Don't ask. She'll gut you if you do. But for a bit of coin, she'll gut whoever you point her sword arm to. She's a fair tracker to boot."

He points to the half-orc next. "That's Curly. He'll patch you up if you find yourself with less blood and flesh than usual." The half-orc is bald. Finally, he points to the meditating man on the floor. "That's Shemp. He's... good at finding lost things; but don't try to engage him in conversation." He leans a little to Dean and whispers, "Not quite right in the head, you see."

"Anyway, for a price you can hire one of us, all of us or any amount in between -- 20 gp a person, plus a 20% cut of any loot you find. Pretty standard for the business, I think."

He looks at you earnestly. "What do you say, big guy?"

XiaoTie
2010-01-27, 12:25 PM
HP 49/55[/table]

Dean seems to think for a few seconds, looking from one guild member to the other, “They all seem to be rather skilled. Well, I will need to get inside those tunnels and move as fast as possible, so I should hire Moe. I might need to track down whatever took Wurtz’s gear, so the gnome would be necessary. My main goal is to find Wurtz’s gear, so a mage of sorts that is an expert at finding things is more than welcome”, he ponders for a few seconds again, “And what are 20 gp anyway. And we face opposition, faster healing will mean that we will be faster on their track”.

Finally, after an entire minute of silence, Dean seems to have made up his mind and reaches for his coin purse tucked inside a small compartment near his armored thigh, and takes out five platinum coins, and thirty gold coins, “I think I will complete my mission faster if I hire all of you. I just have one condition. We are after someone’s set of gear and notes he left behind, and from those, there will be no 20% cut. Everything else stays as you said, sir Moe”, he gives the coins to Moe, “We are to leave as soon as possible”.

KingRexII
2010-01-27, 12:35 PM
The halfling sizes up Dean for a moment. Eventually, he says, "Deal, but anything else, our 20% cut still applies."

He nods over at the half-orc and gnome, who immediately begin to gather their belongings. He nudges Shemp awake and turns to Dean, "Just give us a few minutes, and we'll be on our way."

[OOC:

I'll push forward to the next scene, but I need some time to set it up. I can't post until later on tonight.
]

XiaoTie
2010-01-27, 01:05 PM
[OOC]
Don't worry about it, no reason to rush :D

KingRexII
2010-01-27, 10:50 PM
All four members of the Finder's guild gear up quickly, and the group of five head back into the tunnels. Moe takes the lead first, and he seems to be using the method that Inera described to Dean yesterday. He also seems to know the location that Dean describes to him. Reaching the double chamber, Moe gives up the lead to Shemp. He strange human sits on the cavern floor and begins to chant 'notebook'. His long hair begins to float in the air as if a static charge were flowing through his body. The hairs begin to gather and soon enough, they all point in the same direction. Moe takes up the leadership mantle again and leads the way.

Halfway through the current tunnel, Larry lets out a warning grunt. She takes out an axe that looks way too large for her. She ostensible sniffs the air. Moe explains in a whisper after sniffing the air himself, "Great. Trogs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troglodyte.htm). You can tell by the smell."

Sure enough, when Moe peaks ahead, he signals that there are five of them. Coming back to the rest of the group, he says to Dean, "Look like they're rummaging around in your boy's things. Good work, Shemp. What's the play now?"

XiaoTie
2010-01-28, 09:30 AM
HP 49/55[/table]

Dean nodded to the halfling, and whispers, “The plan is rather simple. First of all, no fire near the notebook; what lies in there is probably of great importance. Now, Most of us will draw their attention and, hopefully, make them forget about the objects in there, while you, sir Moe, sneaks in and grabs the stuff. I will call them out and get their attention. Unless any of you have a better plan ”, he slowly looks from one to another, “If that fails, and they run away, give chase and do not stop unless they are running towards a larger group of troglodytes. Good luck”.

[OOC]
If they have a better plan, Dean will listen to, and we’ll get back at that. Otherwise:

Dean walks towards the troglodytes, “You, surrender those objects and you will go unharmed. Refuse and I will be obliged to use force”.

[OOC]
Perhaps a Diplomacy roll (Yeah, Dean doesn’t know they don’t speak common :o) ?

Diplomacy [roll0]

(I can’t access my sheet right now, so I’ll add the modfier later when I get home)

If they refuse and become aggressive, Dean will draw his shield and morningstar, and will charge at the nearest trog.

Initiative [roll1]

Attack Roll [roll2]
Damage Roll [roll3]

If this is too confusing, let me know.

KingRexII
2010-01-28, 11:06 AM
Moe whispers back to Dean's plan, "You're paying, mate. We'll follow your lead." As Dean goes to accost the troglodytes, the others move into their positions. The trogs do no seem to notice Dean until he's already in plan view.

His voice seems to have frightened them as they all turn around startled. Three of the five of them have a random assortment of Wurtz's things in their hands. In their surprised state, all five of them begin to emit a strong stench.

They look at each other and immediately bolt toward the two other exits in that chamber -- three through the left one and two through the right. One of the three carrying items drops all that it was carrying while the other two run away with their stolen prizes.

[OOC:

So first, please roll a Fort save (DC 13). Failure means that Dean is sickened (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#sickened) for the next minute. I also need a Spot check to see if Dean saw a book in one of the troglodyte's arms.
]

XiaoTie
2010-01-28, 03:32 PM
HP 49/55[/table]

Dean tries to cover his mouth and nose with his shield hand, while he keeps na eye on the fleeing trogs. “Blasted reptiles!”

[OOC]
Oh crap…they fled! Let’s see what the dices have to say about that!

Fortitude Save: [roll0]
Spot check: [roll1]

KingRexII
2010-01-28, 05:29 PM
Dean toughs out the stench with ease, but unfortunately some of his hired help does not do as well. Curly, the half-orc, and Larry, the gender-confused gnome, are fine, but Moe and Shemp look like they are on the verge of throwing up.

Dean is certain that the notebook is now in the hands of one of the trogs. He believes that it went through the left tunnel, but he is not absolutely sure. Unfortunately, none of the others can corroborate Dean's sight. Those that aren't doubled over just shake their heads, unsure of which way to go.

XiaoTie
2010-01-29, 04:46 AM
HP 49/55[/table]

Dean looked around, he had to think quickly, “Sir Curly, tend to their sickness, and follow us once you are done. Si-- Mis--… Larry, follow me, let’s track those trogs!”. And Dean darted towards the only ray of hope he had, that his eyes had not deceived him; he gave chase to the trogs that went through the left tunnel. “Worse comes to worst, we will have to face a tribe of trogs underground… And that can’t be easy

[OOC]
Whouw, now we are on a chase! This game has everything, from fighting the bad guys, rescuing the good guys, eventually screwing up royally (Crit on an ally? Been there!), and now a chase through tunnels!

KingRexII
2010-01-29, 10:09 AM
Curly gives a canned response, "Yes, sir, money man."

Larry smiles a disturbing smile before giving chase. With her weapon in hand, she inspects each fork in the road to determine which direction the three troglodytes went. At each junction, he makes a visible mark in the stone indicating which way Dean and she are going. Her short legs, however, are no match for the longer strides of the pursuants, and they seem to be breaking away.

Eventually, Larry leads them through a tunnel where the temperatures start to get colder and colder. Once they reach end of it, the underground opens up into a humongous cavern. Twenty feet from the tunnel's opening is a large cliff, from which a weak, frigid breeze emanates. The entire width of the cavern is 100 feet and the maximum height is 50 feet. A well made, wide bridge about 150 feet long and 10 feet wide spans Dean's side to the other. At either end of the bridge is a statue of a winged creature. At the entrance of the bridge are some runes carved into the floor. In the middle of the bridge are the three trogs that they have been chasing. One of them is clearly carrying a few random items... and a notebook. They walk very slowly and very carefully across the bridge, which spans a seemingly bottomless pit.

[OOC:

Glad you're having fun. :)
]

XiaoTie
2010-01-29, 03:19 PM
Putting the shield and morningstar away, Dean takes a quick look to the runes, in the off chance he was able to recognize it. He then draws his bow and continues to approach the trogs, trying not to rock the bridge he knocks an arrow and fires at one of the trogs that are not carrying the notebook, “If you have a bow, target those two that are not carrying a notebook, try not to hit the one that is carrying it”. Dean holds his breath and aims up, trying to fire the arrow in an arch so that it doesn’t hit the one carrying the book, and as the arrow flies he continues to cross the bridge, this time a bit faster.

[OOC]
Well, let us hope this work and scare the surviving one to surrender :o

Shortbow attack: [roll0]

KingRexII
2010-01-29, 03:39 PM
[OOC:

The runes are not in Common, and Larry doesn't seem to know what it means. Where is Dean when he shoot his arrow?
]

XiaoTie
2010-01-29, 04:44 PM
[OOC]
In the bridge, following after the trogs :o

KingRexII
2010-01-29, 05:09 PM
[OOC:

All right. I think that we're at a point where initiative will be helpful. I know you rolled one before, but I'm going to say that the chase was done outside of combat. Please roll initiative. I'll consider shooting the arrow as your character's surprise round action, unless you'd rather do something else.
]

XiaoTie
2010-01-30, 05:45 AM
[OOC]
There is not much to do beyond that, I guess. If they reach the other side, bam goes rope, if I rock the bridge, bam goes notebook :smalleek:

Initiative roll: [roll0]

KingRexII
2010-01-30, 09:07 AM
[Surprise round]
While Dean moves forward on the bridge, Larry decides to stay back and attack from solid ground. Dean's arrow bounces off the troglodyte's tough hide, and his arrow falls into the chasm, never to be seen again. Larry looks angrier all of a sudden before he shoots his arrow. It hits the one carry the notebook, and it barely has the wherewithal to hold onto his stolen goods.

When Dean crossed over the runes leading onto the bridge, they start to glow, and the statue begins to crack and move. Larry growls.

[Round 1]
The gargoyle is surprisingly swift to move. It swoops down to the gnome and attacks with its claw, but Larry is adept enough to avoid it.

[OOC:

Surprise round finished. Round 1 actions, please. The trogs are around the 50' mark of the 100' length bridge. Where is Dean? i'm assuming around the 20' mark? You are close enough to get to the gargoyle.

Now, you have to rescue the good guys and chase after the bad guys at the same time.
]

XiaoTie
2010-01-30, 09:54 AM
HP 49/55
Initiative 19[/table]

Dean turns to see the gargoyle get a jump on Larry; if he left the gnome alone, the gargoyle could hurt it pretty bad, but if he didn’t chase the trogs, the notebook would be lost forever, “Larry, flee! Get the others here, I’ll manage myself, but you need to get away from that gargoyle!”, and continues to follow the trogs, aiming high to make another arc, but he doesn’t fire, moving twice as fast in order to close the distance between them.

[OOC]
:smalleek:
20 ft mark would be a good guess as any, since that is his maximum walking speed.

Move action: Move 20 ft
Standard action: Move 20 ft
Done

KingRexII
2010-01-30, 10:29 PM
[Rest of Round 1]

Dean shouts his warning to Larry as he move right next to the troglodytes. Larry merely growls back at Dean and attacks the gargoyle. Unfortunately, she must have been so distracted by the paladin's speaking that she misses. The troglodyte with the notebook slowly, but surely, moves across the bridge. It looks as if his movement is hampered by all the loot he is carrying. He moves only 30' (to the 80'/100' mark of the bridge, meaning he's 20' away from the end of the bridge). The other two troglodytes get in Dean's way and attack, but their weak attacks are no match for the paladin's fine armor.

[Round 2]
The gargoyle viciously attacks Larry, but she merely laughs off the attacks, even the one that hits her. Larry does not look much worse for the wear.

[OOC:

Round 1 finished; round 2 actions, please. By the way, since myth-weavers is down temporarily, I might need to pause the game for a little bit if I need to look something up on your sheet.
]

XiaoTie
2010-01-31, 05:40 AM
[OOC]
Damn, it is down =/. Ok then, we'll pause the game for now and whenever Mythweavers comes back, we resume the game?

KingRexII
2010-01-31, 07:57 AM
[OOC:

Sounds good. They should be back up by Monday, if everything goes will with their transition.[/color]
]

KingRexII
2010-02-01, 11:42 AM
[OOC:

And we're back! Round two actions, please.
]

XiaoTie
2010-02-03, 07:48 AM
HP 49/55
Initiative 19[/table]

Dean notices that Larry does not seem interested in listening to his advice, and given by how fiercely he battles, he probably won’t until he is down or Dean helps him. “I just hope Larry holds on a bit longer, all I need is an opening…There is no time, I must make one”, with one last look at Larry, Dean starts holding his shortbow on his right hand only, and draws his shield with the left hand, setting it in front of him as he moves towards one of the troglodytes, trying to move past him.

[OOC]
Overrun (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#overrun) Attempt!

[1] – The trog gets an AoO
[1.a] – If he avoids my overrun attempt, I may continue moving, and I’ll still have my Standard;

[IC]
Dean continues moving, as fast as necessary to get closer to the troglodyte while giving him some room so he can leave the bridge.

[OOC]
Double move if necessary, I would like to stay at 5 feet from the trog if possible, otherwise, just being close is good :D

[2] – If he doesn’t avoid, STR check (I can’t remember my STR mod, and I can’t access the sheet from work, so I’ll just roll the d20);

STR check:
[roll0]

[2.a] – If I win, I get to continue moving, and he is prone (normal AoOs from the other trog since I would be moving away from a square he threatens)
[2.b] – If I lose, I am pushed 5 squares back, and I would be knocked prone.

[OOC]
Sorry about taking this long to post, but I had to run around the town doing some stuff (bank, getting some documents, etc)

KingRexII
2010-02-04, 10:53 AM
[Rest of Round 2, start of Round 3]
Dean's bold strike pays off as he knocks one of the troglodytes over, and the paladin finds himself next to his prey. His move, however, begins to rock the bridge. The movement knocks over the other two troglodytes, and the notebook falls onto the bridge, thankfully balancing on one of the beams. [Dean must make a Balance check, DC 15 or be knocked prone. If he fails, he needs to make a Dex check, DC 5 for each item he's holding. Failing that means that he drops that item onto the bridge, but not off of it. If someone or something is prone or unattended on the bridge at the beginning of the next round, there is a chance that it will fall off the bridge. For sentient creatures, it is a Ref save, DC 10. Failure by more than 5 means he falls off. Failure otherwise means he shifts over to the other side of the bridge.]

The overrun trog is just barely able to hang on as the bridge reaches its apex on one of its swings. He is able to get up, but he needs to use all his concentration from falling again. The other trog also succeeds to get up, but also fails to move. The trog that used to be carrying the notebook barely holds on, but it is able to stabilize itself and stand. The notebook, however, slides to the other side of the bridge, barely hanging on. The troglodyte reaches over and tries to grab it. [AoO for Dean. He can use his AoO to grab the notebook instead, which requires a opposed Dex check with the trog.]

Meanwhile, Larry and the gargoyle continue to wail on each other, both being able to score some hits.

[OOC:

No worries. I was pretty busy yesterday too. All right, Round 2 is finished, round three actions please. Lots of rolling on this one. Sorry if it's a little confusing. This would go easier on the tabletop. Maybe next time I'm in Brazil... :smalltongue: To summarize:

1. Roll to see if Dean falls over after overrun.
1a. If so, roll to see if Dean drops any of his items.
1b. Dean stays standing
2. If prone, roll at beginning of round 3 to see if he holds on. Failure means involuntary movement or falling off the bridge. If any items fell from 1a., roll d100. 1-25 means it falls off the bridge (Ref save, DC 10 to prevent it from falling). 26-75 means that it moves to other side of bridge. 76-100 means it doesn't move.
3. If standing and trying to move, need to succeed on Balance check to be able to move from his 5' x 5' square (even a 5' step).
4. If Dean didn't need to or try to grab any of his falling items and he's not prone, he can try to grab the notebook before the trog does.

All right. I'll be around to clarify anything if you need it.
]

XiaoTie
2010-02-05, 04:55 AM
HP 49/55
Initiative 19[/table]

[ROLLS]

1. Roll to see if Dean falls over after overrun.
-Balance check:
[roll0] [DC 15]

1a. If so, roll to see if Dean drops any of his items.
-Dex check:
[roll1] [Shortbow]
[roll2] [Shield]

2. If prone, roll at beginning of round 3 to see if he holds on. Failure means involuntary movement or falling off the bridge.
-Reflex Save: [roll3] [DC 10]

2a. If any items fell from 1ª roll d100. 1-25 means it falls off the bridge (Ref save, DC 10 to prevent it from falling). 26-75 means that it moves to other side of bridge. 76-100 means it doesn't move.
[roll4] [Shortbow]
[roll5] [Shield]

3. If standing and trying to move, need to succeed on Balance check to be able to move from his 5' x 5' square (even a 5' step).
-Balance check:
[roll6] (-4 if the Shield is not being held anymore)

4. If Dean didn't need to or try to grab any of his falling items and he's not prone, he can try to grab the notebook before the trog does.
-AoO to get the book [Dex check]:
[roll7]

OOC: Whouw, those were lots of rolls, lets hope at least some of them keep Dean alive

[OOC - Results confirmation]
So Dean is prone, but no items fell, and by standing up on the begining of round 3 he is able to move a 5x5 square. Correct?

[SHEET]
Deanarius Iandastor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174829)
Male Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 5, Init +1, HP 55/49, Speed 20
AC 28, Touch 15, Flat-footed 27, Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +10, Base Attack Bonus +5
Morningstar (-) +11 (1d8+2, x2)
- Greatsword (-) +11 (2d6+2, 19-20/x2)
- Shortbow (20) +6 (1d6, x3)
+1 Full Plate, [+1 from Shield Spec.(PHB2, p.82)] +1 Heavy Steel Shield (+9 Armor, +4 Shield, +1 Dex, +4 Misc)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 19
Condition None

KingRexII
2010-02-05, 08:59 AM
[Middle of Round 3]

Dean falls after laying the trog low, but the subsequent force of it falling rocks the bridge, causing the paladin himself to fall [physically, not in the eyes of his god]. Only with great dexterity does his hold onto his own items as well as the bridge itself as it sways back and forth over the void. While he's down, the troglodyte is able to pick up the fallen notebook before Dean can reach for it. With the other two troglodytes that used to block his path 15' away, he may stand alone with the holder of his quarry.

[OOC:

Yup, your interpretation is correct. Dean may stand and move although he does need a free hand if he wants to grab the notebook as it's now in the trog's hands.
]

XiaoTie
2010-02-05, 09:30 AM
[OOC]
{table=head] Exit|Exit
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|N
.|.
.|D
.|.
.|.
t|t
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
L|G[/table]

Kind of like this?

Where "N" would be "Notebook Trog", "t" would "Trog", "L" Larry, "G" Garg and "D" Dean?

[OOC]
If my “map” is accurate, take the following as my IC actions;
Delay until the “Notebook Trog” moves

Surprised by how things happened so fast, and to his own fault, Dean stood up, glancing the abyss where he would have fallen if he hadn’t been able to remain on the bridge, “Good Lord, that was close...”.

He quickly looked behind, where Larry was, hoping the rest of the group had arrived to help Larry. Dean then turned his attention to the troglodyte holding the notebook, and put the bow over his head and chest [as if “wearing” it], and waited to see if the troglodyte would continue fleeing or not; Dean couldn’t attack it right then and there, not only could the notebook fall off, he could rock, again, the entire bridge and fall off as well.

KingRexII
2010-02-05, 11:03 AM
[OOC:

One change to the map: N (notebook trog), I think, should be down one space. The trog's were all huddled together before combat (basically taking up the same 5' x 5' space). Also, Larry and the Gargoyle aren't on the bridge, but one the small area between the entrance of the cavern and the beginning of the bridge.

Also, if you're delaying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#delay), Dean can't put his bow away (doing so is a move action). You can only do one or the other. Maybe you're think of doing a readied action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready) instead? If you are delaying, do you want to wait until after the notebook trog takes his actions or right before?
]

XiaoTie
2010-02-05, 12:33 PM
[OOC]
Ah right, sorry about that, my mistake.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll say it is a readied action, then.

KingRexII
2010-02-05, 05:03 PM
OOC:

Ah right, sorry about that, my mistake.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll say it is a readied action, then.

To ready an action, I will need you to specify two things. 1) What will trigger the readied action (like 'notebook trog tries to escape') and 2) what will Dean do if the readied action is triggered (like 'Dean attempts to trip the trog'). You can only pick one trigger event (i.e. you can't ready two actions: if this, then... if that, then...). Dean's action is skipped completely (and his readied action wasted) if the trigger event doesn't happen before his initiative comes up again.

XiaoTie
2010-02-08, 09:17 AM
[OOC]
Oh, okay, I thought I had done that :smallredface:

Trigger: Notebook-trog moves closer to the end of the bridge;
Action: Move as many feet as Notebook-trog

KingRexII
2010-02-13, 08:09 AM
[Rest of Round 3, Beginning of Round 4]
Dean puts his bow away, freeing up one of his hands and prepares to follow the notebook wherever it goes. He can hear Larry yelling a primal scream as she continues to slice and dice the gargoyle. Where the rest of her team is, however, is still unknown. They should have been here by now.

One of the troglodytes behind Dean falls back onto the bridge. It tries to get back up, but fails. The other one moves around Dean and attacks him, missing badly. As soon as the one holding the notebook begins to move, Dean attempts to chase after him. He has to move around him, and he gives it a free attack. Miraculously, its claw somehow finds its mark [6 damage to Dean]. Still, Dean is 10' from his prey, just at the end of the bridge, right before getting back to solid ground. On this side of the bridge, there are also runes inscribed into the rock similarly to those at the other end. There is also another statue lying in wait.

The moving statue, frustrated with it inability to deal with Larry, withdraws from its side and flies... straight to Dean's position, about 10' above his head.

[OOC:

Round 3, finished. Round 4 actions, please.

Sorry about the delay. I was pretty sick, and I've been recovering not only from that, but from all the work that I missed out because of it. I'm still feeling under the weather, so things will run a little slowly, but at least I can get back into this!
]