PDA

View Full Version : good races for Paladin?

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:01 AM
I might be playing a Paladin soon and was wondering what people thought some good races were?

I'm going to be playing a homebrew variant and not the normal Paladin however so keep that in mind before you say "PALADIN SUCKS!! GO CRUSADER!" http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133737&highlight=Paladin

I also like the Paladin's flavor better than the crusader but that's just me.

any specific suggestions? I like Dragonborn because they get a pretty good breath weapon but they do take a -2 penalty to dexterity.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-24, 03:09 AM
I'm playing a Lesser Aasimar as a Favored Soul.

I think it kinda fits what you may be looking for.

Roc Ness
2009-12-24, 03:12 AM
I like Dragonborn because they get a pretty good breath weapon but they do take a -2 penalty to dexterity.

Dragonborn Elf. The abilities bonuses/penalties cancel out, leaving you a firebreathing half-elf. (sort of)

That, or lesser Aasimar, as suggested by FerhagoRosewood.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:13 AM
I can manage to find Aasimar but not lesser Aasimar in the SRD. What book are they in?

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:14 AM
Dragonborn Elf. The abilities bonuses/penalties cancel out, leaving you a firebreathing half-elf. (sort of)

That, or lesser Aasimar, as suggested by FerhagoRosewood.

I thought Dragonborn REPLACED your race's bonuses?:smallconfused: (or at least so my DM said.)

ex cathedra
2009-12-24, 03:14 AM
... Crusaders and Paladins have the same flavor. You can play the same character with either class; the flavor is up to you, and the differences between the two are negligible.

Also, lesser aasimar. +2 Wis, +2 Cha, among other things, at LA+0.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:16 AM
hmm. Maybe I misread something. I could have sworn they sounded a lot more like 4th edition Avengers.

Akisa
2009-12-24, 03:19 AM
I can manage to find Aasimar but not lesser Aasimar in the SRD. What book are they in?

Player's Guide to Cheese... Errr I mean Player's Guide to Faerun.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-24, 03:20 AM
Fine, I won't say "PALADIN SUCKS!! GO CRUSADER!". Instead, I'll direct you to the much-less-complex-than-Surrealistik's-paladin, AKA Fax's Paladin, AKA The-How-it-Should-Be Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551).

And recommend that you be a human. Because humans are awesomebadass (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6527724#post6527724).:smallbiggri n:

Roc Ness
2009-12-24, 03:21 AM
Lesser Aasimars are exactly the same as Aasimars, just without the Outsider(Native) typing.

Akisa
2009-12-24, 03:26 AM
Pffft still suffers from a one swing wonders...

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:42 AM
So I can take the lesser Aasimar class racial progression for a level and get better resistances plus a wisdom bonus? Sounds good.

now one other question. What LA is the Half fey? Or is there none?

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-24, 03:52 AM
So I can take the lesser Aasimar class racial progression for a level and get better resistances plus a wisdom bonus? Sounds good.

It's actually just a race like the normal Aasimar. Just with no LA and they lose the Outsider (Native) type. So you lose the proficiencies with it and can be affected by both outsider & human targeting spells.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:55 AM
It's actually just a race like the normal Aasimar. Just with no LA and they lose the Outsider (Native) type. So you lose the proficiencies with it and can be affected by both outsider & human targeting spells.

O_o a servant of Tiamat!

*runs*

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-24, 03:57 AM
O_o a servant of Tiamat!

*runs*

Bwahaha!

((Just got that, huh? >.>; ))

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 04:13 AM
Bwahaha!

((Just got that, huh? >.>; ))

No. I've known you were a servant of Tiamat for a while. I just never expected you to invade my thread!:smalleek:

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-24, 04:32 AM
No. I've known you were a servant of Tiamat for a while. I just never expected you to invade my thread!:smalleek:

I was your first response?

>.>;

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 04:33 AM
I was your first response?

>.>;

................ In my Defense it's about 5 AM here and I didn't get a good night of sleep.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-24, 04:41 AM
................ In my Defense it's about 5 AM here and I didn't get a good night of sleep.

All is forgiven the vision of Tiamat.

^o^

*crosses fingers.*

taltamir
2009-12-24, 04:44 AM
those are a lot of "half-something" "races"

Grumman
2009-12-24, 04:57 AM
Warforged Crusader / Hellreaver. Because sleep would get in the way of your fight against evil.

sofawall
2009-12-24, 07:02 AM

Half-fey is +2 LA.

Aldizog
2009-12-24, 07:42 AM
Hellbred from FCII might be worthwhile. Interesting fluff that makes for great story hooks. I'd lean towards the Spirit Variant (+2 Cha/-2 Con) since the Con hit is really just one feat to make up, and Cha helps you on several important things.

Not as powerful as Lesser Aasimar, but I'd think a DM might be more likely to ban that race or at least tone it down considerably.

Optimystik
2009-12-24, 08:29 AM
Warforged Crusader / Hellreaver. Because sleep would get in the way of your fight against evil.

So would a Wisdom and Charisma penalty. :smalltongue:

Emmerask
2009-12-24, 08:36 AM
You will need as many feats as you can get so being boring I say Human ^^

Mongoose87
2009-12-24, 08:44 AM
Convince your DM to let you use a Pathfinder Paladin. Their smite is against one evil target all day. That is awesome.

Grumman
2009-12-24, 08:49 AM
So would a Wisdom and Charisma penalty. :smalltongue:
You know who else gets a wisdom and charisma penalty? People who are dead because they let themselves become helpless for eight hours. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2009-12-24, 09:07 AM
Strongheart Halfling works pretty well. Free feat, regular Small goodies, lower speed doesn't matter when he gets his mount, mount is more maneuverable than the usual Paladin charger, better AC from Small and +2 Dex.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-24, 11:39 AM
Im almost inclined to say Orc or Half-Orc, but that Cha penalty bites. Above that, the +str and con (in the case of half-orc, skip the con) and would add a new level of flavor to the character. Trying to fight your chaotic urges, rise above your heritage, and become a hero!

I'm personally running a Half-Orc OA samurai. He's more in tune with his humanity, but is still fighting off his orcish nature.

ericgrau
2009-12-24, 12:00 PM
With the ridiculous number of things keyed off of cha in that class, including free action self healing to deal with HP, you want a high cha regardless of LA. Try a nixie sprite (MM) for +8 cha and 3 LA. Don't worry about the -4 strength. I'm sure something in that class will more than make up for the -2 hit and damage, on top of the usual 20 things. Or you get weapon finesse as a bonus feat and +6 dex anyway.

Darrin
2009-12-24, 06:20 PM
Im almost inclined to say Orc or Half-Orc, but that Cha penalty bites.

Desert Half-Orc (UA) has no Cha penalty: +2 Con, -2 Int. (And if you're not dumping Int, you're just not playing a Paladin.)

Lesser Aasimar (PGtf) is probably the best race, and there's also a slightly weaker (only +2 Cha, but still Outsider) version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) with a racial class level that you can take later or just ignore.

Hellbred (Spirit option, +2 Cha/-2 Con) has oodles of good angsty flavor, but if the "no resurrection" thing bugs you, you can get rid of all the annoying racial abilities with Dragonborn of Bahumant (and trade that Con penalty in for a Dex penalty).

Star Elf (Unapproachable East) and Spellscale (Races of the Dragon) both have +2 Cha/-2 Con.

taltamir
2009-12-24, 06:29 PM
Desert Half-Orc (UA) has no Cha penalty: +2 Con, -2 Int. (And if you're not dumping Int, you're just not playing a Paladin.)

what does that imply about paladins as a whole btw :)
I can just see it now, all paladins are uneducated idiots... very "wise"...but uneducated bumpkins

Darrin
2009-12-24, 07:07 PM
what does that imply about paladins as a whole btw :)
I can just see it now, all paladins are uneducated idiots... very "wise"...but uneducated bumpkins

Well, that is where the alignment "Awful Stupid" came from.

It was worse in previous editions, where the entry requirements were a lot more hardcore, and Int was the only stat you could even think about dumping.

Agrippa
2009-12-24, 08:26 PM
Well, that is where the alignment "Awful Stupid" came from.

It was worse in previous editions, where the entry requirements were a lot more hardcore, and Int was the only stat you could even think about dumping.

Actually in 1st Edition you had an Intelligence minimum of 9 along with the other prerequistes. So back then the only thing you really could dump was Dexterity.