PDA

View Full Version : Paladin multiclassing with Bard (4e)

Talyn
2009-12-24, 01:30 PM
For in-game reasons, I am thinking of multiclassing my charisma-based paladin with Bard. I wanted to run the idea by the Playground first, however - my group isn't particularly optimized, but our DM is known for throwing some serious challenges our way, and I don't want to be a drain on the party. My paladin is currently an unaligned hobgoblin paladin of Bane.

So, I ask: is there enough synergy between a charisma-based sword-and-board paladin and a bard to be worth the multiclassing, and maybe some continued multiclassing feats as I increase in level?

My paladin is currently level 5, so the level 6 feat would be the one I would use to take the multiclass.

Kylarra
2009-12-24, 01:42 PM
It's actually not a bad use of a feat for your paladin.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend multiclassing further into bard per se, but majestic word 1/day and a skill training in nearly any skill you want aren't bad.

Mando Knight
2009-12-24, 03:55 PM
I almost always multiclass my Paladins into a Leader class, simply because of stat synergy. Bards are almost entirely dependent on Charisma, so Cha-ladin MC Bard isn't too far-fetched an idea. Also given that there's plenty of melee Bard powers, a Bardadin can even use power swap feats without too much worry.

Swordgleam
2009-12-26, 01:49 AM
Another vote for that being a good idea. One feat slot gets you another skill and more healing? Plus you also get access to bardic rituals. I don't know if you have the Ritual Caster feat, but I assume you have a decent Religion bonus, so it might be worth looking that direction in the future depending on how your party's ritual situation is.

erikun
2009-12-26, 02:14 AM
I ran a Paladin/Bard that worked out pretty well. You can multiclass for 1/day Majestic Word or Ritual Caster (or both) and get skill training at the same time. The Paladin's level 2 utility selection is pretty unimpressive (at least, without Divine Power) so a Utility swap would be handy.

About the only problem with that is that you can't multiclass to Cleric and get the Consecrated Ground (Daily 5) power.

Bard attack powers are based off CHA, and several of them are melee range. Most of the riders depend on CON, but you'll probably have a halfway decent CON anyways. Plus, from what I've looked at, your Paladin melee powers are usually better for what you're doing.

You can pick up ranged Bard powers, but one big warning: you need an implement to add magical bonuses. This means either the Arcane Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade) feat, using a Songblade (and thus, not a Holy Avenger), or carrying around a wand with your sword and holy symbol. For the most part though, if you want ranged powers, multiclass into another Divine class.