PDA

View Full Version : Burning Solid Fog

quiet1mi
2009-12-24, 09:34 PM
I was wondering on someways of getting around Solidfog...

So far I could come up with the following...

Blow it away with 31+mph wind
Dispel it

I was wondering if there was anything else one could do...

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-24, 09:35 PM
Freedom of Movement, arguably.

arguskos
2009-12-24, 09:36 PM
Teleport out and laugh. That's a fun one.

My favorite was the character who, when finding himself in a solid fog, build some elaborate traps IN the fog real quick, teleported out while invisible, and used Ventriloquism to taunt people into entering the fog, then getting jacked up by the traps. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:
IRON!
HEART!!
SURGE!!!!!!!
:smallamused:

Darrin
2009-12-25, 11:16 AM
This is why you always carry around Quaal's Feather Token: Fan (200 GP) or a Wind Fan (5500 GP).

Dispel Fog (Shining South, Clr/Dru/Brd/Sor/Wiz 2) also can come in handy, although if it's magical fog you have to make a dispel check. Dispelling Touch (PHBII) is also available as a 2nd level spell for Sor/Wiz. Gust of Wind works best: doesn't require a dispel check.

Wind Wall won't get rid of all the fog, but it will clear a path through it.

I thought the title of this thread was going to talk about Acid Fog + Energy Substitution. I just sprung an Acid Fog + Daltim's Fiery Tentacles (Evard's Black Tentacles +1 fire damage/CL) trap on my party last session and damn near killed half the party. One PC got out with Shadow Stride (Tob Maneuver) and then the Cleric was able to dispel it once she got her spell component out.

There are a few other nasty fog spells that deal energy damage:
Kelgore's Grave Mist (not solid, 1d6 cold, no save, PHBII)
Lightning Fog (not solid, but 1d4+1/CL electricity damage, Shining South)
Prismatic Mist (not soild, various energy/spell effects, PHBII)

Combine these with Solid Fog or Evard's Black Tentacles and you may have a TPK on your hands.

quiet1mi
2009-12-25, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the solutions guys, this will get my Dm away from his Fi Hat... Cookie to anyone who gets it...

Keep them coming.

Zaydos
2009-12-25, 01:25 PM
I thought the title of this thread was going to talk about Acid Fog + Energy Substitution. I just sprung an Acid Fog + Daltim's Fiery Tentacles (Evard's Black Tentacles +1 fire damage/CL) trap on my party last session and damn near killed half the party. One PC got out with Shadow Stride (Tob Maneuver) and then the Cleric was able to dispel it once she got her spell component out.

There are a few other nasty fog spells that deal energy damage:
Kelgore's Grave Mist (not solid, 1d6 cold, no save, PHBII)
Lightning Fog (not solid, but 1d4+1/CL electricity damage, Shining South)
Prismatic Mist (not soild, various energy/spell effects, PHBII)

Combine these with Solid Fog or Evard's Black Tentacles and you may have a TPK on your hands.

I've actually been thinking about those tricks with the character I'll be playing next month. Decided against spamming Solid Fog yet, since he has a fairly good CL boost and can grapple most things with just Fiery Tentacles and this keeps him from totally taking over combat, but I've started planning for a few levels. (The campaign went from 1 to 9 when I dropped it, and someone else decided they wanted to start it back up; I feel flattered).

ericgrau
2009-12-25, 02:12 PM
Teleport out and laugh. That's a fun one.
Solid fog again and laugh back. :smallbiggrin: Or I try to hit more than 1 target when possible.

Just carry around scrolls of every utility spell in a handy haversack, including gust of wind, and never be caught unprepared. 150 gp a pop for level 2, and only used when you need 'em. Much cheaper than the fan even to get multiple.

AslanCross
2009-12-25, 05:40 PM
Better yet, have the scrolls in an Infinite Scrollcase. With +1 BAB you can draw it as part of a move action.

arguskos
2009-12-25, 11:12 PM
Solid fog again and laugh back. :smallbiggrin: Or I try to hit more than 1 target when possible.

Just carry around scrolls of every utility spell in a handy haversack, including gust of wind, and never be caught unprepared. 150 gp a pop for level 2, and only used when you need 'em. Much cheaper than the fan even to get multiple.
The trick there is FINDING the dude. See, Solid Fog is actually a pretty safe place to chill, since they can't directly target you. They CAN lay down another fog-effect, but that's not a guarantee to get you. Cast Invisibility. Teleport/Dim Door/whatever. Now, you've got the upper hand, since they may not be able to find you. :smallamused: It's a moderately decent escape, if not stunning.

Also, what's the source on Fiery Tentacles?

ericgrau
2009-12-25, 11:23 PM
Great for a solo, not so hot when you abandon your allies. I'd never cast a crowd control spell against a solo encounter. That'd just be silly.

arguskos
2009-12-25, 11:33 PM
Great for a solo, not so hot when you abandon your allies. I'd never cast a crowd control spell against a solo encounter. That'd just be silly.
Perhaps you misunderstand me. I like Invis-->Tele to get out so I can roflpwn the dude who CAST the Fog. I'm not fleeing (I have a contingency for that), I'm setting up a counter-attack. I'd expect everyone else to have methods (like the aforementioned feather token) to get out as well. I never abandon the group, I just shift the battle so that we're not on the defensive and they are.

Though, I do like the Infinite Scrollcase+scroll tricks. That's a good one too. :smallamused:

Zaydos
2009-12-25, 11:42 PM
Also, what's the source on Fiery Tentacles?

Player's Guide to Faerun or some such; indexes a lot of FR spells and adds in some more. I like the spell, although +1 level for +15 fire damage/round (ref halves this) is a little meh, but for me it was that or Evard's Black as a 5th levels spell.

arguskos
2009-12-25, 11:49 PM
Player's Guide to Faerun or some such; indexes a lot of FR spells and adds in some more. I like the spell, although +1 level for +15 fire damage/round (ref halves this) is a little meh, but for me it was that or Evard's Black as a 5th levels spell.
Checked. Ain't there. Anyone have a better source, cause it interests me, and I've never seen a reference to such a spell ever.

For that matter, Realmshelps doesn't have it either. :smallconfused: This is getting aggravating, that I can't find it, and I'd REALLY like to.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-26, 12:11 AM
For that matter, Realmshelps doesn't have it either. :smallconfused: This is getting aggravating, that I can't find it, and I'd REALLY like to.

www.google.com (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS330US330&q=%22Daltim's+Fiery+Tentacles%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=). S'a wonderful thing. In particular: here (http://69.8.198.251/default.asp?x=dnd/news/20041012news).

Darrin
2009-12-26, 11:09 AM
Checked. Ain't there. Anyone have a better source, cause it interests me, and I've never seen a reference to such a spell ever.

Daltim's Fiery Tentacles is in Shining South.

Same book also has Kyristan's Malevolent Tentacles (Evard's Black Tentacles + Fort save or gain one negative level.)

Lightning Fog is also in there.

Signmaker
2009-12-26, 02:19 PM
If you're on the ground, burrowing is always an amusing proposition.

arguskos
2009-12-26, 02:36 PM
Daltim's Fiery Tentacles is in Shining South.

Same book also has Kyristan's Malevolent Tentacles (Evard's Black Tentacles + Fort save or gain one negative level.)

Lightning Fog is also in there.
DAMN! That one book I don't have. I really need to pick up Shining South and Unapproachable East. :smallannoyed:

Thanks for sourcing that though.