PDA

View Full Version : question about computers

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 10:33 PM
Okay. I want to reformat my computer in order to get a large amount of useless data off of it. (I've already backed up everything I care about) ANd was wondering. Once I reformat it Will The Ubuntu 8.10 disc I have work on it sos I can install it as the sole OS for this computer?

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-25, 01:39 AM
Just one question... Why? IMO Linux is in 95% of cases not worth using unless you specifically need it as a development platform. It will, however, give you tons of compatibility problems and it's still a good idea to dual boot to Windows.

Unless you have used Linux only before and are quite sure that's all you need. If that's the case, a redistribution disk should be just fine in most cases. If, of course, you can find all the drivers and stuff for it on the internet.

raitalin
2009-12-25, 01:47 AM
Your experience is sorely limited. Linux, especially Ubunutu, has has resolved a great many of its compatibility issues in the last half-decade. Honestly, other than playing the latest games, there's no reason NOT to use a Linux distro now. I've used Ubunutu as my only OS for over a year now, and I haven't had any significant problems. Every piece of hardware I've tried to use has worked and any software I desire is availible in an Open Source version, if it doesn't have a Linux release.

And yes, your Ubuntu 8.10 disk will allow you to install it as your sole OS. Though you're due for an upgrade. 9.10 has gotten enough bugs worked out of it to be used by the average Joe now.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-25, 02:25 AM
If this computer had come with a Windows OS disc I'd gladly put windows back on but my windows OS is broken and it's just taking up space at this point. Ubuntu does pretty much everything I need it to do except play games.

KuReshtin
2009-12-25, 06:21 AM
If this computer had come with a Windows OS disc I'd gladly put windows back on but my windows OS is broken and it's just taking up space at this point. Ubuntu does pretty much everything I need it to do except play games.

As has been mentioned in several previous computer help threads, there are almost no computers that actually ship with physical OS Cds anymore.
Instead they will have the recovery partition on the hard drive that will be accessible by pressing F10/F11 during POST to be able to reinstall the OS.
In most cases, the recovery partition will still be accessible and able to reinstall the OS even if the OS itself has been messed up (unless there's an actual fault on the HDD).
Also, most of the machines that come with the recovery partition will have an option for you to create physical recovery CDs yourself.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-29, 02:58 AM
Not to be unhelpful, but, I know this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135059) fell off the first page for lack of usage, but really, it's a good idea so try to post there instead of making four to five threads per day* on this topic.

*There are 7 of these on page one right now. Let's try to consolidate, okay?