PDA

View Full Version : The characters of '09

SilverSheriff
2009-12-24, 11:36 PM
I thought I'd start a thread remembering all the D'n'D characters who died this year.

I'll start off first:

Auran, Human, Fighter 2 /Monk 7 - Impaled by own spear after an enemy Barbarian removed said spear from his own gut and decided to Rage.

Skirrven Herschk, Nord, Fighter 1/ Rogue 1: killed by Ashlanders in an Elder Scrolls themed game, he probably deserved it as he was Racist against Dunmer.

evil-frosty
2009-12-24, 11:42 PM
Brag Ironhead- Dwarf Fighter, Killed by a red dragon who then threw his corpse at the elf ranger which killed said ranger.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-24, 11:46 PM
My little brothers first character:
Diuhmond Shinyside - Dwarven fighter. Killed because he had a 3 in dexterity and had to tight rope walk across a raging river

rezplz
2009-12-24, 11:48 PM
Ardil Wepon: A diviner wizard/Lore Master with permanent reduce person who, after getting tired of the orc barbarian/dragon disciple throwing him in the air for kicks, sent a disentegrate at the barbarian. Said Barbarian survived, at 1 HP, and charged the surprised wizard, knocking him down to 10 HP.

Both were killed by a fireball from the gnome lich BBEG who ambushed them while they were squabbling.

I plan on bringing Ardil back. But with a little more common sense. Next time, I cast invisibility first, THEN disintegrate.

Zaydos
2009-12-24, 11:55 PM
Werlond: The only PC I ever killed permanently. A duskblade, who took on the role of tank. Killed himself with Blade of Blood and Diehard against a fake version of the BBEG, and was brought back. Died when an invisible ogre mage stabbed him through the chest with a greatsword (I rolled a nat 20, a 19 and max damage; so I rerolled and got a nat 20, a 10ish [it crit] and max damage; I did it on the table in plain view; the dice were against him). His epithat: He needed better AC.

mabriss lethe
2009-12-25, 12:12 AM
-Charles Akillingwerd- Human Warlock 9/Chameleon 2.
removed divine focus for a single day to gain trapfinding. Death effect. Didn't save, just died.

-Avarice (a player's character in the game I run): Paladin of slaughter/wight Learned without a shadow of a doubt that undeath is no substitution for a con score while tanking against a werewolf lord... and LA sucks.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-25, 12:16 AM
Ardil Wepon: A diviner wizard/Lore Master with permanent reduce person who, after getting tired of the orc barbarian/dragon disciple throwing him in the air for kicks, sent a disentegrate at the barbarian. Said Barbarian survived, at 1 HP, and charged the surprised wizard, knocking him down to 10 HP.

Both were killed by a fireball from the gnome lich BBEG who ambushed them while they were squabbling.

I plan on bringing Ardil back. But with a little more common sense. Next time, I cast invisibility first, THEN disintegrate.

Make sure it's improved invis, then, or you'll be in the same boat. ;)

Dienekes
2009-12-25, 12:17 AM
Aynland Liechnower, Aristocrat 6/Rogue 3= The PCs finally figured out all the web of lies you were telling. Oh how I will miss your upbeat nature, kindhearted smile, and total evil megalomaniac nature that strung together this 2.5 year campaign. You showed me as well as all my players that NPC classes can be effective Big Bads.

LoneStarNorth
2009-12-25, 12:17 AM
Let me see if I can remember who died THIS year...

Vivkesh the Prophet: A grimlock ranger/rogue who got reincarnated as a dracotaur, become a god of the lizardfolk, then got killed by a tree and reincarnated as an aranea, then killed by a giant minotaur once and for all. He united a nation and killed a god's avatar. Long may his memory live.

Quarion "Jellybean" Galanodel: Elven bard, wielder of the sword Firetongue. She travelled to the four corners of the world, sometimes on its surface, sometimes under it. She evaded death many times, but was done in by her own longing for home. Killed by a giant minotaur. Always scout the barrows before you charge through with an army.

Vasillis Kuu: He lived many lives, first as a human, then as a gnoll, then a winged canine, and finally as a lumi. He was both a wizard and a warrior, and outlived all of his companions in his bid to bring news of a Demon Lord's plot to the king. Having lost almost everything in the attempt, he took his own life not long after his final mission was complete. He was reunited with his wife, Jellybean, in death.

Some other people died, but they came back so it hardly counts. Oh, and a bunch of Call of Cthulhu characters died, but that hardly warrants note.

Gorbash
2009-12-25, 12:55 AM
Haroeris - Elf Rogue, drowned. 14 failed Swim DC 15 checks. In a desert.

Scoot
2009-12-25, 12:57 AM
Armies of Donkey, Ortholl, and Victor. Halfings/Dwarves/Elves, respectively.

The latter two killed by a single regiment of kobolds, the halflings drowned in the river trying to run away.

Edit: I suppose the 3 characters died in a sort that day.

Rixx
2009-12-25, 02:22 AM
Thaddeus Punchworthy, human barbarian. Digested by a dire crocodile during a mechanics playtest.

AslanCross
2009-12-25, 03:54 AM
Since my players don't post here, I'll post their characters here:

1. Ashiedae Jiourrn d'Orien -- blown to kingdom come by a Kulkor Zhul War Adept's scintillating sphere. Lv 6 Human Artificer.

2. Kikkeni Yurashtai -- shot (critical hit) by a Charmed party member after being impaled by three hobgoblin knights mounted on tigers. Lv 9 Kalashtar Kineticist.

3. Loven Magroen -- mauled by an advanced Greater Barghest after he shot Kikkeni. :smallsigh: Lv 9 Warforged scout Rogue.

Sliver
2009-12-25, 04:21 AM
Ahh.. *Examines sig* The cruel dungeon..

Garth, a Hadozee (monkey) Beguiler1//Warlock1, killed by a CR1 dart trap..

Shazarus, Factotum//Warblade, human, killed by CDG after being color sprayed on the first turn of combat. Happened after Garth did the same in his first battle.

Dragotron, dragon shaman//warblade, survived to second level and perished by the hand (bite) of a pack of 3 dogs. Killed 2, killed by the last one.

You will be remembered.

Trouvere
2009-12-25, 04:31 AM
Ter-raen, tactically deficient half-orc barbarian, hemmed in by wolf skeletons and killed by a troll skeleton on the far side of a pit. And Karm, human druid, who had neglected to train his animal companion to attack unnatural creatures, killed by one of the wolves.

My dwarf ran for it and survived.

Ice&Fire
2009-12-25, 09:27 AM
Tok: Level 10 Gnome Beguiler/Shadowcraft Mage, died during RHoD. Copped a breath weapon, then rolled a natural 1 on the massive damage fort save.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-12-25, 09:48 AM
...It's weird, but I honestly can't compete in this. x.x I've played very little to no D&D this past year that I wasn't running, none of my players were killed, I had no named NPCs who were worth a damn, and I played a grand total of once with a human cleric of Wee Jas. He didn't die either because the adventure barely got off the ground.

The Deej
2009-12-25, 10:05 AM
Mavlani: the much appreciated party bard-until he betrayed the party and organized the assassination of our healer. Died on the end of my spear after a successful listen check (he was invisible), and after a 20 was rolled, followed by a 19 to confirm, and rather high damage coupled with power attack.

Biscuit: the bard's goblin slave. Killed when he attempted to escape with his master's body, but his greater invisibility wore off.

Amagriel: the party assassin. Convinced by said bard to turn on the party with him. Killed trying to retrieve Mavlani's body.

Honorable mention:

Giana: the party warlock. killed trying to retrieve Amagriel's body. She should've stayed in the air. But because she chose the symbol of the Phoenix at a fortune teller earlier in the story, upon her death her body was vaporized and a new one was formed, only without her infernal tattoos (the source of warlock powers in this campaign) She is still alive, but lacking any magical powers.

BWM
2009-12-25, 11:27 AM
My player's:

Ovide, Cleric of Pelor, Descended to heaven to help the gods do something (player quit because of work)

Giovanni Pomodori, aka Slick as'Silk, blastercaster, got eaten by a giant dancing robot-dragon, after the psion set back time to prevent a TPK (in the original time, everybody but Giovanni died, so he was sort of collateral damage).

Other notables:

the Father of Steffa Kovalic, professional miner, got killed by assassins, because he was fed up with life.

My characters

Pivo the Nachimin, divine champion, got pulled from a ship by a giant octopus. Although he in fact had died like every second session prior to that...

Greymane
2009-12-25, 11:59 AM
Boris Brokenhammer Dwarven Cleric/Warblade/Hammer of Moradin. Energy Drained by a Vampire. Became one, and subsequently survived a Harm spell from his traitorous brother because of it.

.... He did die. Don't look at me like that.

Leolo
2009-12-25, 12:12 PM
Liria, human rogue who missed the perception check to notice the black dragon in a dark lake. She did not even have to make death saving throws. ^^

Kyl, githyanki summoner. He thought the last two opponents standing where weaker. In fact it where neither two, nor weak opponents.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-25, 12:48 PM
Daishen, Jishen, and Gorinshen- A dwarf paly, Halfling rogue, and an Elf Ranger. All killed in the same dungeon by our DM. Daishen fell through a rope bridge because his FULL DWARVEN WARPLATE, TOWER SHIELD, and ADAMANTINE URGOSH weighed too much. Jishen was eaten by a Vrock, and Gorinshen shot himself with his arrow when he rolled a nat 1 (DM said roll d20: 1-5 Miss, 6-10 hit self (10=crit), 11-15 Hit ally (15=20), 16-19 Hit foe, 20 Crit foe...he rolled a 10 and killed himself with a Colliding Arrow, knocking himself off the rope bridge...

Jigur the Red- Fire Giant Barbarian//Savage Bard 5/Frenzied Berserker 10. Died when the Dire Elder Purple Worm ate him.

Lucen Kinstar- Ogre Mage Wizard//Sorcerer 5/Archmage 5/Ultimate Magus 5. Died when the above purple worm spat out Jigur's Vorpal Great Axe.

Sean Ebonheart- Human Fighter. Killed by a Frost Giant's Cleave

Marcus Antonious- Human Cleric of Odin. Killed by above Frost Giant's first strike. One Hit wonder.

The entire Eberron Party of July. Killed by a boulder. The dungeon stated "all illusions make no noise." Troll pushed a boulder which a necromancer cast "Silence" on

9mm
2009-12-25, 01:14 PM
Clint Barton: lv 18 scout; killed by two ijitsu masters in the castle, as the party watched from the portal.

Talbot
2009-12-25, 01:17 PM
Clint Barton: lv 18 scout; killed by two ijitsu masters in the castle, as the party watched from the portal.

Don't worry. The Scarlet Witch'll bring him back soon enough.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-25, 04:04 PM
From an Eberron Campaign
Shav, Changeling Lurk 10: She sucked in combat and the campaign is very hack'n'slash. Her death was met with much rejoicing.

From Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Gwen, Human Paladin 9: Killed by vampires in the party's first attempt to storm Castle Ravenloft

Shale, Stonechild Fighter: Killed by vampires in the party's first attempt to storm Castle Ravenloft

Fenwick, Gnome Were-tiger Cleric: Killed by vampires in the party's second attempt to storm Castle Ravenloft

Gertrude, Human Ranger/Consecrated Harrier: Killed in the party's second attempt to storm Castle Ravenloft

[I forgot her name, but she was Fenwick's Fiancee], Gnome Sorcerer 10: Killed by vampires in the party's fourth attempt to storm Castle Ravenloft

Note: Our party is pretty bad at storming castle Ravenloft. In fact, my wizard is the only character who hasn't died at least twice there. :smalleek:

Uin
2009-12-25, 04:22 PM
As a DM, characters I have killed this year:

Enok - Dwarf Fighter/Barbarian/Dragonmark Heir
Monched by the Half-Fey Green Dragon in a manifest zone to Thelanis.

Hammer - Warforged Crusader of Onatar
Fell to his doom in Sharn trying to be extra heroic, silly boy.

Girl - Human Rogue with a dragonmark or protection
Entered a mysterious portal in Greywall which led to a volcano in Sarlona...

Golden-Esque
2009-12-25, 04:23 PM
Arghin, Dragonborn Paladin 4. Got one-shot by a Halfling Death Knight for over 40 HP in a single strike. Was resurrected, only to get swallowed whole by a Zombie Tyrannasaurs Rex several days later. Decided that it was a good idea to try and smash the zombie's brain then escape.

Jazinia, Gnome Bard 4. God one-shot by a Skeletal Raptor. She heard a dinosaur's roar coming from a nearby jungle and saw some nearby bushes rustle. Instead of running, she succeeded on a DC 5 Search check to find it. Died from massive damage after provoking an Attack of Opportunity from fleeing.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-25, 04:35 PM
More Deaths from my groups:
From a 4e campaign
Handy Jim, Dwarf Fighter 4: The party's trusty defender. He fell heroically in battle.

More from the Eberron Campaign
Kurz, Shifter Fighter/Barbarian/Weretouched Master: He died as he lived -- charging stupidly into battle against overwhelming odds.

[I forget his name], Human Wizard: He was a blaster -- he deserved what he got.

[I forget his name], Old Human Psion: Got trapped in the darkness with an angry half-fiend Blackguard.

Bucket, Human Rogue 11: Died to a Phantasmal Killer trap which somehow had a DC 19+ saving throw (I think the DM cheated)

Mobai, Human Monk/Psion: Captured by DM shenanigans (an attack that instantly captured him, no save, no attack roll :smallannoyed:) and turned into a new BBEG

Thurbane
2009-12-25, 08:03 PM
Aka the Grey Elf Beguiler: killed by a critical from a Confused Ogre, followed by an 800 ft fall. He was reincarnated as a Goblin (and changed his name to Toad).

Magnus Mensvark the Dwarf Fighter: killed twice (and raised twice). First time was a critical from a Harm spell; second was getting stuck in melee with exploding/self healing Bar-lgura skeletons while under a Confusion spell.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-25, 09:13 PM
From my last campaign, which finished just before winter break, a few characters I managed to kill:

Hrothgar "Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear" Horngrim, a dwarf barbarian with every bear-themed class or ability known to humanoid-kind, who was eaten by a heavily templated monster of legend kraken after managing to grapple it for a solid 11 rounds, only dying after the kraken dove (with him in its mouth) to 6,000 feet below the sea and killed him with poison.

Akiirlessef Arimathia, a sneaky elven mercenary, who was captured, turned into a gravetouched ghoul, and then killed by the party after deciding to walk into a meeting of the BBEG and 5 evil priests who were triple her level and trying to talk things out and resolve everything diplomatically (and almost succeeding!).

Horngrim Brightscales, a dragonkin martial adept, who died heroically holding off a dozen or so quells while the rest of the party ran from about 64 highly lethal, heavily tweaked zombies (think Left4Dead hunters) so the party didn't get caught between the two groups.

Igras Kefas, a griffon-riding kobold scout specced for dual crossbows, who was vaporized by 14 disintegrate rays in one round from as many adamantine clockwork horrors.

Nemo the Faceless, a changeling who was discovered and executed after sneaking into an enemy base while impersonating a commanding officer...and failing to fool the real commanding officer.

9mm
2009-12-25, 09:50 PM
Don't worry. The Scarlet Witch'll bring him back soon enough.

If it wasn't for random name generators; the group would groan every time I make a character... particular bad ones include:

the mentioned scout
Marcus Phoenix: the bad-ass tech-savant
Haruhi Yuki: Daredevil, pretty much made to let me be as stupid as possible and live.

abandon hope
2009-12-25, 10:09 PM
Dire Writer: Wizard8. Died in one round from a choker that ambushed him while he researched spells in an inn.

Naalta of the Badlands: Scout4/Totemist3. Died when a large something's greatsword full attack routine contained two crits.

shaddy_24
2009-12-25, 10:47 PM
A couple from my 4E game. Both run by the same player, funnily enough.

[Don't remember his name], Halfling Rogue 2. Decided to jump out of an ally alone and ask several guards if they were traitors. They were.

Wallace, Human Fighter 4. Tried to ambush a group of orcs in a series of tunnels. Got charged from two directions and couldn't escape.

oxybe
2009-12-26, 10:56 AM
my characters that died:

[3.5] "Shump" the magical vagrant of Parrot Island - after 2+ years of play, he finally died due to being unable to roll higher then a 5 that session in a spot check, followed by a Fort save. he got better.

eventually (and for the cost 25000gp).

[4th] Draag Terraferno - half-orc rogue, got brown dragon'd. repeatedly.

[4th] "Sentry" also known as "Grover" - warforged warden in another campaign. we TPK'd when i wasn't there that session. unfortunately, we were in a remote, extradimentional pocket location that one would have to be actively seeking to find

josh13905
2009-12-26, 11:03 AM
Shadow, Elven Duskblade who was killed by peasants, unfortunately the peasants were being flung from a catapult :smallwink:

Talyn
2009-12-26, 12:43 PM
Grumbar - a Warden who was turned to stone by a drider fey lord, and then proceeded to roll a series of four natural ones on his saves. Now will be honored forever as a statue in the center of the town he saved.

Viscerus - a Dragonborn Warlord who forgot he was a Warlord and not a tank and heroically charged a band of entrenched wild elves, and died a pincushion.

Jera
2009-12-26, 01:13 PM
Not mine:
Varith - warlock 6 - Who died after staying behind to pick up his caltrops whilst the party looted the first floor of a mansion.

Merideth - Fighter 4 - Who drowned after falling into the ocean wearing half-plate, a large steel shield, and carrying a full load.

Mine:
Miro - Sorcerer 7 - Who died from ongoing acid damage from a mini-bbeg after killing said mbbeg with a thrown dagger, as miro was out of combat spells and his party was dead/dieing. Ungrateful bastards didn't spring for a resurrection because they didn't like him, no matter how much I pointed out that if not for him they would all be dead, and it would have been a TPK.....:smallmad:

AslanCross
2009-12-26, 05:37 PM
Adding another:
Free aka 20, Changeling Rogue 5/Swordsage 5, died on his first session---At 14 HP, drank a potion of fly and tried to face down a rampaging Abithriax over a burning city. The red dragon promptly took a bite out of him, dropping him to -1 HP.

Free fell out of the sky to his death, but this slowed down the dragon's flight enough for the party to light him up with Dispel Magic and Ego Whip. The dragon's buffs coming down gave the party a much easier time tearing into him. Free's contribution to the party over 2 encounters will be sorely missed.

GolemsVoice
2009-12-26, 05:41 PM
Andrew Cole, Ex-Marine turned Hunter. A demon forced him to shoot the sherrif of his hometown, and he put himself in prison for it. Not actually dead, but removed from society for ages. WoD

A friend's character in the same game. He offered his soul in place of that of one of our informants, and was taken. His alst line was: "I have faith that my soul belongs to God. You cannot take what is rightfully yours." We have plans tot rack down that demon and force the character's soul out of his clawsa. That guy will face some REVENGE.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-26, 05:58 PM
Let's see..

D&D
Johnathon Mechanster, Human Arcane Mechanick 5/Fighter 2/Ironhead 2 - Died from a combined explosion of two scrap thralls, a powder key, 4 accumulators and a belt of grenades.

Keris, Human Favored Soul 3 - Died from an angry mob, after our rogue shot at a priest.

Name-I-can't-remember, 4e Elven ranger 5 - died from being ripped apart by a barrage of goblin crossbows and spears.

Kazdar - Trollkin Barbarian 8 - died dueling a human monk after a horribly failed save VS stunning fist.

Paranoia

William the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th: Died in service of friend computer.

Albert the 1st, 2nd and 3rd: Died in service of friend computer.

World of Darkness:

Nicholas - Died by being knocked out of a car by a vampire, and off a cliff. (At least the vampire died shortly thereafter)

Project_Mayhem
2009-12-26, 06:55 PM
Matthew Thorne, Moros Guardian of the Veil.
(NWoD)
Blew himself and a peadophillia/rape spirit up by shoving a grenade in it's mouth. It was in the progress of dissolving him with highly corrosive semen.

My Storyteller scares me sometimes

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-12-26, 07:35 PM
... he had a 3 in dexterityThat sounds like something I'd play :smallsmile:

Studoku
2009-12-26, 07:38 PM
Damaerus Swifthoof, Centaur Barbarian
(3.5)
Killed by an exploding lich. Probably because the DM was annoyed with me for one-shotting his miniboss.
Ressurected at the end of the campaign, making it the second slowest ressurection ever.

Leroy the Mage, NPC mage
(Live (So technically neither D&D nor character but still awesome))
Killed by charging a biomechanical monster thing after watching his best friend, Ginger, get killed.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-12-26, 08:10 PM
Nesrina of the Desert - Human Druid 9

For a champion-level character (it's a low-level world), she died pretty uncerimoniously getting Vampire Touched to death by a Kolyarut in a ruined temple. She was survived by her Gargantuan Viper Snake Anah, who has since retired and lives comfortably at the Public Zoo of Luxor, the Imperial Capital.

Nansias - Elf Bard 5/Dirgesinger 5

Although a villainous NPC at the time a Searing Light spell blew his head clean off above the jawbone, Nansias began life as one of the first PCs in the campaign. He reappeared later as a member of the Cult of Orcus' inner circle, with a wish to personally kill his former comrade Alphonse Arcanus (then a 10th-level cleric). After elaborately staging an ambush using several former comrades resurrected as undead, Nansias was taken off-guard by Alphonse's power and killed before he could even get a proper villainous monologue going, poor guy. (I won't even include the Dwarf Wizard and Elf Druidess this time around).

Lioness
2009-12-26, 08:35 PM
Shiori - Half-Elf Monk. Level three. Knocked unconscious and thrown off the side of a boat by a giant slime. She drowned.

Saph
2009-12-26, 08:48 PM
William - Virtual Adept
(Mage: The Ascension)

Killed by an Awakened sniper who shot Willian with a co-locating sniper bullet that hit his head from five angles at the same time, inflicting 35 health levels of damage. (This in a system where all player characters have 7 health levels max.)

Correspondence magic is a real pain to be on the receiving end of.

The Tygre
2009-12-27, 06:53 AM
PLAYERS
Elf Wizard/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil - ECL 11 - Because all the the SR and overpowered PrCs in the world won't save your ass from an adult red dragon and his army of kobolds with crossbows and blaster-mages.

Th'a T'gei - Incubus Sorcerer - Could seduce twenty women with one good diplomacy roll. The same cannot be said for gorgons and poor Fort. saves.

Sly- Tiefling Rogue 1 - Oh, like 4e is really that hard to figure out...

BOSSES
Zarkad the Grim - Hobgoblin Fighter 4 - Was summarily captured, beaten, tortured, blinded, castrated, had his legs broken, and thrown into in an underground river underneath the body of an immature Howler. Neither I nor the Dark One look kindly on this. Reprising roll will be Cleric/Master of Veils/Dread Wraith Sovereign of Legend with army of incorporeal undead.

Triel - Cleric of Hextor - Valuable lesson learned; never stand in front of your bath tub while wearing half-plate armor.

Gnoll Huecueva - Cleric of Nerull - Sweetest moment in dungeon. Incubus wasn't fully aware that Energy Drain levels up undead. Will never forget.

Adult Red Dragon - Nothing like dragons. PCs went aboriginal on the corpse. Every scale, every muscle, every bone, everything used for new, pimped out gear. Will always have a place in my heart for taking the party through the World Serpent Inn to Sigil.

pasko77
2009-12-27, 10:26 AM
Santa Claw: wfrp beastman shaman, elk horns, arm mutated into a claw, cut in half by a Khorne demon that he himself unleashed as a result of a miscast.

"Lady": goblin engineer, same party as Santa, killed by the same demon.

Thodol: Bard 9, forgotten in a campaign that never resumed when a player left.

Tehnar
2009-12-27, 11:32 AM
Safos; human fighter [4th]. First death was by kobolds after we were forced into fighting 3 encounters worth of foes at once. Second time was by a drow arachnomancer; it was his last blow before the party finished him off. The third time was by some undead, when he and the mage were split off from the rest of the party for a couple of session. He still lives, and is familiar with the revolving door lifestyle. The rest of the party isin't.

When I was DMing RHoD (I don't remember the names):

Paladin: After they defeated the dragon at Skull Gorge bridge, he charged after the fleeing hobgoblins. A critical hit from a longbow ended his life.

Ranger: The dragon at Skull Gorge bridge disarmed him of his longbow, and put it on one of the towers. After the battle he went climbing after it with a +2 modifier to climb. He met the bottom of the gorge.

Wizard: Got grappled by a manticore who was flying away with him. The rogue shot at the manticore, hit the wizard by mistake.

Rogue: First encounter with Spawn of Tiamat in the swamp. Lesson: if the TWF sneak attack routine doesn't kill it, its coming after you.

After that they managed to kill off Regirax (the goblin escaped), though got slaughtered at the hatchery by blackscale lizardfolk barbarians (I replaced the ogres with them). The PCs made me promise not to modify the module anymore.

Lesson: don't get too attached to your characters when playing RHoD.

AslanCross
2009-12-29, 05:08 AM
Lesson: don't get too attached to your characters when playing RHoD.

As if to drive the point home:

We just finished today's session.

Holden Magroen, Crusader of the Silver Flame, Lv 10.
Took a beating from so many damn things, and during the streets of blood encounter, I had a warforged titan with two casters (a doom hand warpriest and an advanced Kulkor Zhul War Adept) holed up in bunkers on its back.

The titan smashed through the barricade and the casters were blasting away at the party---they finally took the titan down, but Holden was at 13 HP when the War Adept blasted him with orb of electricity---and scored a crit.

47 damage. RIP, crusader of the Silver flame.

TheCountAlucard
2009-12-29, 12:28 PM
Fox, a friend's Eclipse Caste Solar, laid low by his own circle member, Edrick. Full story here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134766).

Twilight Jack
2009-12-29, 01:07 PM
Elucydius, Half-Elf Cleric, level 19+. One of the original PCs in the first D&D game I ever ran (AD&D, 2e), Elucydius had long since graduated to retired/NPC status, becoming one of the luminaries of the church of Gwydion in my campaign world. He died this year of natural causes, being over 200 years old. He had been promised by his god that he would live to see the first stage of the fulfillment of a prophecy he had been given decades before. Gwydion kept his promise.

HailDiscordia
2009-12-29, 01:22 PM
Many deaths to look back on this year. Since I am pretty much always the DM these deaths came at my hands. Some of the more memorable...

Tony Garth- Rogue 1-Knocked out by an orc freedom fighter, then suffered the humiliation of a coup de grace while the party looked on.

Seragwen Battleborn-Cleric of Hextor 6- Negotiations broke down with a gang of rogues, who then backstabbed her and pushed her into a pit filled with crocodiles. The player took this very hard as Seragwen was her favorite character ever.

Doria Moonbeam- Hexblade 4-Critical shot from a greataxe wielding eco-terrorist ranger. Her head flew about 50 feet.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-29, 01:26 PM
Glenbok the Barbarian - His acceptable Intelligence didn't help him in the fight again a fire breathing plush dragon and a doll. He got ressed though. :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2009-12-29, 01:59 PM
Happy, my gnomish rogue, who gullibly believed his party was sending him undercover on a secret mission. As a slave. With no equipment whatsoever. Rest knowing your unfortunate demise proved profitable for your teammates.

Guess-Talt. The Barbarian//wizard who took a sword to the face. 'tis a shame you never saw the glories of level two.

Ormur
2009-12-29, 02:57 PM
Thelonius Monk, a 9th level wizard that was coup de graced in his bed by an angry succubus after a previous attempt ended in defeat. The female barbarian was dominated to believe he was an impostor so she whacked him into unconsciousness with her sword. The druid was a tree in the courtyard at the moment so he was useless. Although he was revived later.

Grifthin
2009-12-29, 03:58 PM
Fallohide - Level 8 Gnome Wizard specializing in necromancy. Got hit by a slay living from a Druid who's grove they violated, was torn apart by direwolves.

The Dwarf - a fighter in our party, got blasted by explosive runes. His outline burnt onto armor provided many a evening's entertainment with shadow puppets.

Sintanan
2009-12-31, 05:00 AM
Disclaimer: Characters are from the party as a whole, only one of the group that uses the website. Garrick and Mikhael Hammer were mine.

Daryl the Forgotten. Human assassin. Killed by walking into a purple haze blocking a door as a dare, since the haze wasn't determined to be a trap and the wizard (failed Spellcraft) thought it was a lingering color spray. It was a death effect.

Maliron d'Marquis. Elven rogue/scout. Lots of precision damage didn't keep a huge skeleton from using him as a can of red paint and the wall as canvas.

Tirrin Pendragon, the Lightbringer. Human paladin/crusader. Charged a demon designed to harrass and chase off the party. Lucky crit put him in an early grave.

The Quarterman. Half-Ogre Halfling barbarian. Death by dire weasel.

Garrick Hellkanus. Human diviner/bone knight. Was at 1 hp and used a last-ditch attempt of a locate city abuse. Forgot resist energy wore off the round before. DM justice, or just bad timing?

Mikhael Culligan Hammer. Dwarf bard. Perform (Hammertime) wasn't able to hold the party together against a red wyrm.

Lief Sunbreeze. Elven wizard. See above.

Faust of the North. Half-Giant barbarian. See above.

"Lil' Bastard." Gnome rogue. See above.

K'tarris, He Who Jumps. Catfolk vassal of Bahamut. See above.

...We play twice a week, and we play for keeps.

...And the dice are cruel.