PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Games

Kris Strife
2009-12-25, 04:31 AM
So... I was playing the 2006 Sonic (don't know why, just had the urge) and I came to a realization, probably one I've had or seen before, but the worst thing about the new Sonic games isn't that they're completely bad. Its that they had the potential to be good if they'd been tweaked just a little. If they were simply bad, they hopefully wouldn't have been released or wouldn't have been bought, but they had potential. Whether by changing the camera or fixing the controls or changing the way abilities worked or getting rid of annoying mechanics (Secret Rings, Black Knight and Unleashed I'm looking at you), they could have been enjoyable.

Thoughts, comments, any fan projects that show these games how they could and should have been?

Dogmantra
2009-12-25, 07:21 AM
2006 Sonic?

[fan denial]Sonic Adventure 2 was the last Sonic game[/fan denial]

Yeah... I uh... I really don't like the new ones. Sonic Team never were really good at Cameras. See: Billy Hatcher, Phantasy Star Online.

Kris Strife
2009-12-25, 08:18 AM
[fan denial]Sonic Adventure 2 was the last Sonic game[/fan denial]

Sonic Rush would like to have a word with you.

Dogmantra
2009-12-25, 08:36 AM
Sonic Rush was decidedly average. Give me Sonic 2 any day.

KBF
2009-12-25, 10:03 AM
Sonic Rush was decidedly average. Give me Sonic 2 any day.

You can't possibly be this delusional. Your sarcasm is too much to recognize though, it's almost as if you weren't being sarcastic. But that can't be true, the statement is just so dumb.

Rush was incredible.

Lord Seth
2009-12-25, 01:31 PM
So... I was playing the 2006 Sonic (don't know why, just had the urge) and I came to a realization, probably one I've had or seen before, but the worst thing about the new Sonic games isn't that they're completely bad. Its that they had the potential to be good if they'd been tweaked just a little. If they were simply bad, they hopefully wouldn't have been released or wouldn't have been bought, but they had potential. Whether by changing the camera or fixing the controls or changing the way abilities worked or getting rid of annoying mechanics (Secret Rings, Black Knight and Unleashed I'm looking at you), they could have been enjoyable.

Thoughts, comments, any fan projects that show these games how they could and should have been?Is there honestly anything--anything--that I or anyone else could say regarding the 3D Sonic games in this topic that hasn't been said at least 1000 times before?

chiasaur11
2009-12-25, 01:35 PM
Is there honestly anything--anything--that I or anyone else could say regarding the 3D Sonic games in this topic that hasn't been said at least 1000 times before?

Yes.

"Spurgle Burgen, splatten. SPLORCH! SPLORCH!

Tychons."

Green-Shirt Q
2009-12-25, 01:40 PM
I never really like Sonic games to being with. I played them out of peer pressure, because my friends did and I wanted something to talk about with them, but I have always felt that the game machanic of going so fast you miss every possible thing was simply...annoying.

I did like Sonic Advanced 2, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Maybe it was three. I'm not sure. It was the one where you could use Sonic, Tails, Cream and Knuckles, and Amy was unlockable. I lost that game somewhere in my house either way. I also like Sonic Heroes pretty well. It's one of the few games I tried to get 100% completion on.

I tired Secret Rings, but I just didn't have the patience. I didn't see anything wrong with the controls, but because of all the missions you would unlock I couldn't tell if I was making progress and which levels were optional or not.

Sonic's alright, I have nothing against him and don't hate him like some people do, but he'll never be Mario as far as I'm concerned. My fandom for him will NEVER DIE!

Comet
2009-12-25, 03:20 PM
The only new (new being defined as post-Sega Megadrive here) Sonic games I have played and liked are Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Chronicles: the Dark Brotherhood (the Bioware RPG, which was awesome at least for a modern Sonic game).
Edit: Yeah, Sonic Advance. Not Advanced. Nothing to see here.

Lord Seth
2009-12-25, 03:22 PM
One thing I will say is I've never understood the hate for Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic Heroes (the former does get more hate but Sonic Heroes gets some also). Don't get me wrong, they had some big flaws, but overall I found them to be fun, enjoyable games.

Sonic Rush was pretty good but I thought the "bonus levels" where you had to get the Chaos Emeralds were too hard, and I hated--hated--the fact that losing all your lives not only sent you back to the start of the level, but the start of the zone. Got to Act 2 of a zone, but lost your last life? Too bad, now you have to play Act 1 and Act 2 all over again! I'm not a big fan of the lives system in general, but knocking you back to the start of not just the act, but the entire zone, was idiotic.

Sonic Rush Adventure was fun until you realize you have to play the levels over and over and over again to progress. It's a lame and artificial attempt at making the game longer. I wouldn't have even minded it so much if there was some kind of a choice--for example, you could do an easy level multiple times or a harder level once to get the required components to make the new version of the ship so you can access a new island--but it doesn't even give you that option. What the heck, Dimps?

Finally, I should note that the second Sonic game for the Game Boy Advance game is Sonic Advance 2, not Sonic Advanced 2.

Dogmantra
2009-12-25, 03:57 PM
I've never understood the hate for Shadow the Hedgehog

He has guns.

GUNS.

GUNS

He can kill people by jumping on their heads. WHY DOES HE NEED GUNS?

Lord Seth
2009-12-25, 04:30 PM
He has guns.

GUNS.

GUNS

He can kill people by jumping on their heads. WHY DOES HE NEED GUNS?The guns deal more damage.

Kris Strife
2009-12-26, 12:02 AM
He has guns.

GUNS.

GUNS

He can kill people by jumping on their heads. WHY DOES HE NEED GUNS?

Also, the fact that he drove cars. I mean, he already needed ROCKET SKATES to run as fast as Sonic, and now you're going to make him drive cars and shoot stuff while still saying he's the "Ultimate Lifeform"?

Callos_DeTerran
2009-12-26, 12:57 AM
The first game that Shadow appeared in was one of my absolute favorite games for the Dreamcast (not that I had many for it) and it's difficulty (at times) with it's story mode...well I have a lot of fond memories of it. I also remember actually feeling sad when Shadow plummeted (and I thought) died in the atmosphere. It was touching.

....Even if Sonic and Shadow going 'super' poses did look all kinds of messed up.

Optimystik
2009-12-26, 02:03 AM
They could make another great 2D Sonic on the Wii if they wanted to. Mario went from 3D back to 2D and it hasn't hurt his sales/popularity any.

But no, let's keep cramming that square peg into the round hole. Yay Sonic Team.

The guns deal more damage.

*head explodes*

Zevox
2009-12-26, 12:02 PM
They could make another great 2D Sonic on the Wii if they wanted to. Mario went from 3D back to 2D and it hasn't hurt his sales/popularity any.

But no, let's keep cramming that square peg into the round hole. Yay Sonic Team.
I'm waiting for them to take a hint from Capcom's success with Mega Man and release Sonic the Hedgehog 4 for Wii Ware/XLBA/whatever the PS3 has.

Or take the gameplay of the day stages of Sonic Unleashed, tweak it a little, and thus finally come out with a good 3D Sonic game that isn't Sonic Adventure 2. (Seriously, they were so close there - if it weren't for the fact that literally everything else about Sonic Unleashed sucked, it could have been good...)

...okay, so realistically, I'm really just waiting to hear when Bioware is going to make another Sonic Chronicles game. Because that seems to be the only good that'll come out of the Sonic series until whoever the numbskulls currently comprising Sonic Team are get fired or retire...

Zevox

Kris Strife
2009-12-26, 03:49 PM
They have made 2D Sonic games recently, Sonic Rush series which I hope to see more of soon.