PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Dutch Meetup V: Son of the Dutch Meetup

Lord Herman
2009-12-25, 09:11 AM
It's time for another Dutch Meetup! This will be the fifth Giant in the Playground meetup held in the Netherlands.

As always, the meetup will be an afternoon and evening of playgroundy fun, and people can sleep over for a morning of even more playgroundy fun.

We haven't picked a date yet, but it'll be on a saturday between January and March. So if you plan on coming, just post in the thread which weekends you'll be available.

We'll also need a location. My place is always a possibility, but it's a bit far for some people. It's easy to get to by train, though. But if anyone else wants to offer their place, that'd be great.

Earlier meetup threads:
Dutch Meetup 1
Dutch Meetup 2: Return of the Dutch Meetup
Dutch Meetup 3: Revenge of the Dutch Meetup
Dutch Meetup 4: Bride of the Dutch Meetup

MrEdwardNigma
2009-12-25, 11:14 AM
Why was I not informed?

I demand an explanation!

Lord Herman
2009-12-25, 12:28 PM
As do I! It's an outrage that one of the meetup regulars wasn't PMed about this! Who's organising this thing?

...oh right, that would be me. I've been a bit occupied with Christmas, so I haven't had time to send PMs to everyone. I'll try to get around to it ASAP.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-25, 01:03 PM
Eh, I guess since it's vacation I can come back a bit. For this thread.
I'l still rather talk on msn then here.

So....

Timeframe:
Somewhere between january and march? Let's try to narrow it down?

Place:
We could either have it at a event or a playgrounder's home.

Places:
Herman's place, somewhere near utrecht, if I remember. Which is quite central/northy.
Edward's place: Somewhere in Antwerpen which is preeetty far down south, considering it is in Belgium...

Tiger Duck
2009-12-26, 04:59 AM
Well if it is in Antwerpen I'll most likely attend.

MrEdwardNigma
2009-12-26, 07:48 AM
Well if it is in Antwerpen I'll most likely attend.
Excellent! Finally a meet-up in good old Antwerp.

Krade
2009-12-26, 11:41 PM
It seems like you guys have meetups far more often than others around here. Or, at least, in the same general area.

There's one big one in Tennessee every year here in the States. Then there's GenCon a couple months after that. This year there was one in Chicago in November... hmm... I'm not making a good case for proving you guys have more meetups than us... Doesn't help that I actually did all 3 of those this year...

Well, carry on then:smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-27, 08:34 AM
Considering we're the only ones who have ''official'' meet-ups on the whole in the whole of Europe*...:smalltongue:

*Hmmk, brits have dem too. I even believe they had one this christmas.**

Well there's the hippie hut meet-ups, which are pretty frequent, in the USA.
But they did move to a new apparently dutch-styled house.(I'm pretty sure they did it to either flatter or honor us. Possibly both.:smalltongue:)

___

Herman, could you post a list of those who've you sent a PM to?
I mean, y'all are pretty awesome, but a meet-up with the 4/5 of us is a tad small...And then one or two could possibly drop out...And such.
So it's best to sent PM's to everybody.

**I should go to one sometime...I mean, com'on, they have their own dice! UK ITP meet-up dice, for crap's sake. ><

smellie_hippie
2009-12-27, 08:50 AM
Yes, the new Hippie Hut was in honor of the Dutch. I promise. :smalltongue:

Their own dice?:smallsigh: C'mon... I made 15 gallons of beer for the last SE Trogland meetup. PLUS we have an established Restaurant and an outdoor ropes course! I've even seen an Emporer climb........ naked! :smalleek:

But there will be new developments for the 4th installation of the SE Trogland meet-up. I'm sure this will be addressed at our mini-meet over the weekend. :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2009-12-27, 09:07 AM
Their own dice?:smallsigh: C'mon... I made 15 gallons of beer for the last SE Trogland meetup. PLUS we have an established Restaurant and an outdoor ropes course! I've even seen an Emporer climb........ naked! :smalleek:

But there will be new developments for the 4th installation of the SE Trogland meet-up. I'm sure this will be addressed at our mini-meet over the weekend. :smallamused:

I need to get to one of these meets outside of the UK at some point.
We've had 5 successful meetups in the UK, and one that wasn't so successful, mostly because of last-minute cancellations.

Tiger Duck
2009-12-27, 09:17 AM
I could bring either of the Catans with most extensions.:smallsmile:
And I'm usually available on Saturdays.

InaVegt
2009-12-27, 09:40 AM
If it's in belgium, I'm not coming, sorry.

Zweanslord
2009-12-27, 11:22 AM
The only time I visit the Friendly Banter sub-section of the forums in months (like, since last meetup) due to accidentely clicking on it because I am sitting on another computer which does not have it folded up and I see a Dutch Meetup thread! What a coincidence.. anyway, I am interested!

So far I only have plans for the weekend of 9-10 januari, but other than that my agenda is pretty open!

Krade
2009-12-27, 11:46 AM
Well there's the hippie hut meet-ups, which are pretty frequent, in the USA.
But they did move to a new apparently dutch-styled house.(I'm pretty sure they did it to either flatter or honor us. Possibly both.:smalltongue:)

This would be the one in Tennessee that I mentioned. It is... a little bigger than just "the hippie hut meet-ups."

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-29, 01:01 AM
There are no states.
There are only playgrounder residences.:smalltongue:
Da Hippie Hut
Meyers Residence
Shadow's bar.(How's that going, actually? Does anybody know?)
Annual gencon. This location will only appear once a year for around 4-5 days.

:smalltongue:

Zweanslord
2010-01-03, 09:24 AM
So, any updates about this?

Is everybody really available for every weekend to come in the next three months?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 09:41 AM
Definetly not available on the last weekend of january...

Tiger Duck
2010-01-03, 09:51 AM
and I'm not available the first 3 weeks of January :p but after that I don't have any plans ^^

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 09:57 AM
And we still haven't decided, Antwerpen or somewhere in good y'olde Netherlands....

Lord Herman
2010-01-03, 11:19 AM
Antwerp might be a problem for me, both due to the time it takes to get there and because of the cost of an international train ticket.

I probably won't be available on the weekends of 13-14 February and 13-14 March (my mother and my sister's birthdays), but I don't have any other plans.

As usual, I can bring Munchkin and its expansions (English version), Three Dragon Ante, and the Inn Fighting Game. If the meetup is at my place, I'll also have the OOTS Adventure Game, all OOTS books, and a whole bunch of D&D 3.5, 4E, and GURPS books available, but that's all a bit too bulky to take along, as I discovered during the last meetup.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 11:28 AM
Yeah, prolly, especially considered if we're just doing a one-day meet-up.

MrEdwardNigma
2010-01-03, 12:50 PM
Antwerp might be a problem for me, both due to the time it takes to get there and because of the cost of an international train ticket.
I've paid one every meet-up. It's not that unreasonably priced (though, admittedly, not cheap either). As for the books, yeah, dragging all that along may prove a problem.

Tiger Duck
2010-01-03, 01:50 PM
It already takes me 2 hours to get to A'pen + how long mister Edward has to travel. So practically everyone, I think I would enjoy meeting, would have to be there before I will consider it.

So who wouldn't come to A'pen but would come to Hemans' place or some other place in the Netherlands?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-29, 10:51 AM
*gives meet-up(-thread) CPR*

I would probably come to both.

Also I go to most fantasy events and japan(anime+manga+cosplay) events in The Netherlands, so if anybody is interested in meeting up for a bit there.

Happy: My place might be up for it, it's 1 hour for Edward to travel to there, I think? So dunno.

When considering both The Netherlands + Belgium, it's pretty in the middle, I think.(Dordrecht)

Tamis
2010-01-31, 08:49 AM
Ghe, I decide to check the forums again since, well about a year ago and there's a meetup in the works. How nice. :)
I'll have to see if I can swing by. I have no problem with going to Antwerp, it's an awesome city and about 2hrs. by train from Utrecht (If I remember correctly) where I live. (By the way, it's about as expensive as it would be to travel 2hrs. by train in any direction. The border doesn't matter much in this case. If you have an OV (free travel card for students) that is valid for the entire part of the Netherlands you go trough, and from Roosendaal to Antwerp is a small distance. And if it hasn't changed, anyone under the age of 26 has a discount in Belgium.)

But I'll be fine with going to Deventer of Dordrecht. Both are closer for me, but nothing is unmanageable because I live right in the middle.

Now, we need not just a location, but also a few dates so people can state if they can come or not. Are we aiming for saturday's? Because I would have to check if I can get off work for the next sunday, since I normally work on sunday's. (I would prefer a friday-saturday matchup, but I realise that I'm the one with the weird schedule, not you guys.)
How about saturday 20 february?
Or saturday 13 march?
(I'm already booked for most february weekends, and I'm trying to find a weekend in march with friends to go to London, so I'm keeping most of those open.)
I'll check wether I can get sunday's off at work this week.

Thes Hunter
2010-01-31, 07:32 PM
I am on the verge of deciding if I am going to spend a month traveling in Europe, or a month traveling in the states.

That month in Question is July. You guys have a meetup in July (and offer me a couch to sleep on for a couple days) and I might just be able to swing it. And then I would hope to be able to make both the Dutch and UK meet-ups.

Lord Herman
2010-02-01, 04:56 AM
If it's just two hours from Utrecht to Antwerp, I don't think that'd be a problem for me if I don't overpack this time.

It'd be great to have you here, Thes! We usually have about 6 months between meetups, but I don't think it'd be a problem to have our next meetup a little early.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-01, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I think a couple of years ago, if not now, I could probably fit into that ridicilously large bag thingy.

Thes: if we're having the meet-up at my place, 1 to 3 nights.(fri-sa, sa-su, su-mo)
possibly.

Also Thes, if my plans will be good, then I'l also attend the UK meet-up.:smallamused:

Lord Herman
2010-02-05, 03:30 PM
DD told me to post here, so I did. Also, everyone should come to the meetup because it'll be fun and stuff.

Ashtar
2010-02-08, 03:22 PM
I'll probably be going through the Netherlands on my way back from Essen, Germany this coming Friday 12 Feb (and Sat/Sun possibly). Anyone game for a mini-meetup, drink, game of munchkin or something? :smallbiggrin:

Tamis
2010-02-09, 01:44 PM
This weekend I'll be visiting my brother and his family for carnaval, so I'm booked...

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-12, 04:52 PM
So yeah, Antwerpen sounds pretty good.

People who'l come if it's at Antwerpen:
Edward
Happy
Dallas(most likely)
-Possibly:
Herman
Zweans
Tamis
Ashtar

People who'l come if it's at Dordrecht:
Dallas
Edward?
Herman?
Zweans?
Tamis?
Ashtar???

__Thes?

So possible locations:

Deep South: Edward's, Antwerpen, Belgium.
Central*: DoubleD's, Dordrecht(near Rotterdam), The Netherlands
North: Hermans, somewhere near Utrecht? I can't quite remember. I vaguely remember it was in that general direction.:smalltongue:

*If you consider both Belgium and The Netherlands. And only North-South.:smalltongue:

Zweanslord
2010-02-12, 06:52 PM
I am up for any location, as long as far-off places (ie, Belgium), offer a place to sleep too. :smalltongue:
Also, when we have a date for the meetup, let me know in time, since I usually have driving lessons on saturday and set this a week in advance, meaning that as long as I know 1-2 weeks in advance, I can easily change that.

Yardo
2010-02-17, 08:35 PM
Dutch meetup, sounds interesting. Anywhere is ok, got my own car, so can just drive there. There is even the possability of picking someone up, if it's not to far out from where I live. (Near Amsterdam) About the date, will have to see, I work strange hours, but can always take a few days off.

BigBadBugbear
2010-02-24, 05:37 AM
Sound good, where and when, I got a car... so traveling is no problem..

InaVegt
2010-02-25, 01:31 AM
I can do Dordrecht, but not Antwerpen, I don't think. Not 100% positive, but it sounds unlikely to happen.

Iferus
2010-04-12, 09:06 AM
I might attend such a meeting. Although I won't go all the way to Belgium; most places here in the Netherlands are far enough. (Dordrecht is three hours by train)

Ashtar
2010-04-14, 07:10 AM
I'll come as long as you decide early enough on a date (*and then don't change it) that I can book a flight (*easier if you specify the closest airport) without breaking the bank and I have enough time (*counting the trains) to make it back to Zürich the next day (*I need a place to sleep)

IE: The meeting on a Saturday, so I can fly back on Sunday.

Edit: :P, yeah, I know, lots of conditions.

Maelstrom
2010-07-14, 06:31 AM
I'm bummed I missed the UK meetup, but would certainly like to see if I could make this one.

Just over 4.5 hours by train from here To Anvers/Antwerpen, that's certainly doable.

I'll keep an eyhe on the thread for any developments!

MrEdwardNigma
2010-07-14, 08:13 AM
I'm definitely coming if it's in Antwerp!

Eadin
2010-07-14, 08:19 AM
of course you will, it would be at your place after all
in other news, isn't this thread necro-ing?

Rawhide
2010-07-14, 08:25 AM
in other news, isn't this thread necro-ing?

Yes, and he should have asked first. I'll leave this open for now, but if you do decide to have a meetup, you should start a new thread. You can use the exact same number/name for the thread, just be sure to put something like "(Attempt 2)" in the title.

Lillith
2010-07-14, 05:20 PM
Well if it's after the 20th of August I might be able to make it if it's still in my summer vacation. Also Antwerp is a bit iffy to go to by myself but maybe I could work something out somehow. Wouldn't be the first time I went there by train. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-14, 05:21 PM
From which city would you be going?

Lillith
2010-07-14, 05:46 PM
Ye olde city of Den Bosch. Also a very nice place for meet ups. Lots of stuff to do, stores to visit. Meet ups to plan. :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-14, 05:51 PM
I think YPU comes from that direction. Can't remember exactly at the moment.

He's definetely up for a meet-up, but I want to have some more people saying they're up for it if I'm gonna give him a call.
Since he doesn't really visit the forums anymore. Also a date & time would be good.

Thingy, stuff.

Eadin
2010-07-15, 04:10 AM
I might come..it depends...on stuff
also, I'd prefer it to be in september, if possible
or early august..I have redo's the last 2 weeks of august and the first two weeks of september

Tiger Duck
2010-07-16, 01:54 PM
I could bring either of the Catans with most expansions.:smallsmile:
And I'm usually available on Saturdays.

It already takes me 2 hours to get to A'pen + how long mister Edward has to travel. So practically everyone, I think I would enjoy meeting, would have to be there before I will consider it.

So who wouldn't come to A'pen but would come to Hemans' place or some other place in the Netherlands?

All still true for me now ^^

I might come..it depends...on stuff
also, I'd prefer it to be in september, if possible
or early august..I have redo's the last 2 weeks of august and the first two weeks of september

Never tought about calling them Redo's I always end up describing my "herexamens" nice to finally have a 4 letter word for it.

As I have one too the last 2.5 weeks are big nonoes for me as well.

Eadin
2010-07-16, 02:06 PM
I'll only bring myself and lot's of cookies/brownies/cake

Tiger Duck
2010-07-16, 02:12 PM
I too could bring cake. In fact it would be pretty hard to prevent me from bringing cake.:smallamused:

Eadin
2010-07-16, 02:19 PM
I too could bring cake. In fact it would be pretty hard to prevent me from bringing cake.:smallamused:

mmmm yeah...
what kind of cake?

Tiger Duck
2010-07-16, 02:23 PM
Marble cake. Both vanilla and chocolate dough stirred a few times and poured in the tin.

Eadin
2010-07-16, 02:27 PM
om nom nom
you make cake
I'll make brownies and cookies
and chocolate milk and baileys for DD:smallbiggrin:

Tiger Duck
2010-07-16, 02:52 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'm always up for chocolate milk.

In fact ...

... I'm having some right now

Eadin
2010-07-17, 09:45 AM
maybe we should just start a new thread for this..

Tiger Duck
2010-07-17, 09:56 AM
You are naturally totally correct.

I forgot about mister Rawhides warning.

Eadin
2010-07-17, 10:04 AM
so uh
yeah

You do it

Tiger Duck
2010-07-17, 10:24 AM
Ghaa :smalleek: I can't handle this kind of responsibility. I tried but don't know how to fill the OP.
I'll let someone with more seniority make it. Someone whom has gone to an earlier meetup one.

I'll do it if no one else feels like doing it.

Superglucose
2010-07-17, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Rawhide's point was "Keep using this thread but if it dies again..."

Eadin
2010-07-17, 01:06 PM
Yes, and he should have asked first. I'll leave this open for now, but if you do decide to have a meetup, you should start a new thread. You can use the exact same number/name for the thread, just be sure to put something like "(Attempt 2)" in the title.

so I think he wants us to actually start a new one

¨
I'll do it if no one else feels like doing it.
I don't feel like doing it:smalltongue:

Tiger Duck
2010-07-17, 02:33 PM
I don't feel like doing it:smalltongue:

That much is clear. I just keep hoping someone else will step in :smalltongue:

But I fear I wouldn't have that much luck.:smallannoyed::smallsmile:

Eadin
2010-07-17, 02:34 PM
I'm kinda wondering who will actually come
You , me (although small chase I won't), DD I guess...
Lilith too...
don't know about the rest of them...

Tiger Duck
2010-07-17, 02:47 PM
But should I call it a Dutch meetup if it'll be in Belgium?

Or do I call it the Dutch meetup anyway for the possibility of it being in the Netherlands anyway? And tradition?

But if everyone that has been in the old treads get notified of the new thread their might be some more people interested.

Eadin
2010-07-17, 03:00 PM
Dutch, because we all speak dutch and for tradition's sake
And yeah, I hope so