PDA

View Full Version : A sort of Table of Contents Question

Saknussem
2009-12-25, 01:34 PM
Merry Christmas to one and all, and to all those who don't celebrate it, Have a great day!

I was wondering if there happened to be a, I don't know, not a table of Contents specifically, but more of a guide to OotS. I am looking for a list. What I envision would have the pivotal events that happen in the strip and then the strip #s that pertain to those events. Such as (and this is totally wrong, I know, just doing it for demonstration's sake):
Roy in the Afterlife: 300-312, 322-350, 361
Okay, look, I KNOW the numbers are wrong; I don't care. I just made them up to model what I am looking for. Is there such a list/page/thing floating in the clouds? If so, please share? I mean, it IS Christmas. Thank you.

Krade
2009-12-25, 01:49 PM
Are you just looking for Roy in the afterlife or are you talking about everything?

Edit: And no, there is no page that lists it like that. However, you may be able to get me to make one. I do need more specifics, though. It shouldn't take too long as I have all the books, even the new one (don't have the first one available as it is being loaned). Flipping through pages is much less time consuming than digging through archives.

NerfTW
2009-12-25, 07:15 PM
I considered doing that once, but didn't have the time. But honestly, up until the last book, the plot was pretty straightforward "The order does this. Then they do that. Then this.". The last book can pretty much be summed up as three separate paragraphs detailing the three separate storylines.

You could probably make it yourself and post it to the forum.

Saknussem
2009-12-27, 01:22 PM
I was talking about everything -- sort of the be-all-end-all guide to What Happens to The Order Of The Stick! (note the loud, booming, voice you hear when you read that, ok?) :)
The ultimate guide. The Golden Compass. The Lost Ark of the Covenant. The Declaration of Independence. The Energizer Bunny. The INDEX!

Look up DRUID in the index and you get the strip numbers for that crazy guy in the city with the trees. Look up Afterlife and you not only get the strips where ROY is in the afterlife, but the strip where Roy and his winged playmate talk about how a society without a comprehensive knowledge of the afterlife wouldn't have . . . I don't know . . . WARS (or something like that).

Get it? I realize this may be too much to ask, but it IS the Christmas season, so what the heck. I don't have the books, nor the time to do this puppy. Sorry, I work 6 days a week, usually over 9 hours a day. On my off day, I usually try to get in some writing.

Thank you.

Schnitzel
2009-12-28, 12:11 PM
Well, there's this:
http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Important_events
It's incomplete for now (stops about halfway at comic #400), but you're welcome to help us complete it.

veti
2009-12-28, 05:39 PM
As I imagine it, a Table of Contents would look something like this:

Book 1: Dungeon Crawlin' Fools: 1-120

Meet the OOTS: 1-43
The Linear Guild: 44-84
The Path to Xykon: 85-104
The Showdown: 105-120

What you're talking about sounds more like an Index, where you can look up (in alphabetical order), say, "Druid", and see "344-346, 353, 354, 358".

I can see some value in both of these things, but as far as I know neither one exists.

A wiki would be one way to do it, but this page (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Important_events) suffers from too many contributors. "Important events" has become, pretty much, "all events". So now by the time you've managed to find anything there, you might as well have spent the same time looking through the contents right here.

Schnitzel
2009-12-29, 05:02 AM
Actually, this page has only 2 contributors. It's kinda hard to decide which events are important and which aren't.
But you're welcome to help develop this page, maybe split the list of events to smaller lists, like in the table of contents you imagined.

veti
2009-12-29, 06:47 PM
Fair enough. Added Table of Contents to this (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Important_events#List_of_Events) wiki page.

"Chapters" are only approximations, obviously - there are a lot of odds and ends, and sometimes the decision to include a comic in one chapter rather than the next is pretty arbitrary, but I've tried to capture the major story lines as I see them.

swampmaster
2012-02-29, 11:49 AM
I remember writing to Giant a few years back about something like this. I don't think I ever got a reply.

At the time, I had just discovered Ohnorobot (http://www.ohnorobot.com/letsbefriends.pl) in other webcomics. It's apparently free, seems simple to implement, and the community does all the work! (and with OOTS's community, I'm pretty sure all comics would be transcribed a couple days after the program was implemented).

This is something that consistently bugs me, as OOTS is a very long winded comic with constant call backs to details, and I do not have the greatest memory, nor the time or inclination to browse through nearly a thousand pages everytime I'm looking for a detail...

I heartily encourage people to push for adoption of Ohnorobots by Giant in the Playground, or at least to ask them to explain why it is not practical to adopt it in that eventuality.