PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new system.

Malfunctioned
2009-12-25, 05:10 PM
I've recently received a £25 gift voucher for Amazon and have decided to use it to buy a new gaming system. Unfortunatly I cannot decide which one to buy. I currently own D&D 3.5, NWOD and Genius: The Transgression and Mutants and Masterminds. I'm looking more towards a spacefaring sci-fi game but any suggestions for good systems will be helpful.

taltamir
2009-12-25, 05:16 PM
first find a group... then buy the books.

There are a whole bunch of cool systems out there... many I Would like to try... but there is no point unless I find a group that actually plays it.

Malfunctioned
2009-12-25, 05:22 PM
Oh I have a group. My last D&D game in my college had 12-14 players and my current Mutants and Masterminds game has about 10.

Aron Times
2009-12-25, 05:44 PM
Spacefaring sci-fi game? Go for Star Wars Saga Edition. Heroic (a.k.a. "Action Movie") Fantasy game? Go for D&D 4e.

Mad Wizard
2009-12-25, 05:46 PM
I'll put in another vote for SW Saga, especially if you enjoy DnD 3.5. I've also heard good things about Traveler. I've only played one game, myself, but I liked it a lot.

Zincorium
2009-12-25, 05:52 PM
Alternity and the Star*Drive setting.

I don't know if you can find them anymore, but I bought pretty much everything ever made for the Alternity game for what you've got budgeted. It's TSR, so lots of charts and tables, but also huge amounts of material to help you out when you're GMing.

If you're a star wars fan, though, I've got to second the Saga edition suggestion.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-25, 06:21 PM
There was a Serenity RPG, which pretty well fits the sci-fi bit well.

Swordgleam
2009-12-26, 01:43 AM
I really enjoyed d6 Star Wars when I played it, though the d6 system is a little too easy to min-max, so I'd steer clear if you have players who do that.

I've heard good things about Traveler, though I haven't played it myself. Paged through the core book once and it looked interesting.

Also heard relatively good things about Serenity.

Satyr
2009-12-26, 03:03 AM
Gurps. It is certainly the most expensive recomandation yet, but still the one with the best price/quality ratio. You'll probably want four books to play (that's were the expensive comes from) - the two core books, Gurps: Space, and the best Science Fiction RPG setting ever written, Transhuman Space. It's very much "hard" SF - as in "you don't have to anesthetize your brain to read or play it" and it includes so much cool stuff with plausible explanations, it is a whole new world.
I don't like SF gaming much, mostly because most of it is stupid Space Opera crap, which is usually just the superficial, dumbed down version of true SF, but Transhuman Space is no Space Opera nonsense. That alone let it easily outshine pretty much any other setting in this genre.