PDA

View Full Version : World's Largest Dungeon

Accountant
2009-12-25, 07:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Largest_Dungeon

So my group and I are thinking of picking this book up. Has anyone here used it? What would you say about it?

Edge of Dreams
2009-12-25, 09:17 PM
Played a few sessions into it. There's some... oddness. For some reason (explained in the book, but I don't remember the explanation), summoning and similar spells don't work. Also, a lot of the early encounters have fire resist, which made my Dragonfire Adept cry.

Be prepared for the players to waste a lot of time mapping and arguing over which way to go next. A wrong turn or choosing to go on when you should have rested can easily lead you into encounters you're not ready to handle.

Starscream
2009-12-26, 12:04 AM
It's fun if you've got about a year to invest in it. Please pay attention to the warning in the beginning about which classes you should avoid (Druid for instance: no summoning, no "nature" to speak of. Just a big dungeon).

I played it extensively, but never entirely finished it. I think we got about halfway through before I graduated and moved away. So I don't know how it all turns out, but I had fun.

Also, I don't really know the "story" because our DM decided to change it. He treated it as a sort of "purgatory" for adventurers who had died.

The idea was that each of us was the pawn of a god, who were gambling on us. The Dungeon was located somewhere in Carceri (appropriate, considering that it was basically a huge prison), and we all trapped there and dead. In order to decide who would control the dungeon each god picked an imprisoned soul that matched their alignment, gave them back a living body, and challenged that to make it through the dungeon.

If we made it through we would be returned to life permanently. If we died we stayed in Carceri forever. There were hints that this was all part of some larger plot, but like I said I never got to see how it turned out.

Still, it was great fun.

FFTGeist
2009-12-26, 04:50 AM
You will need a VERY dedicated team and a long term plan to finish it. You will need to make sure to read ahead to know how each area is supposed to work.

I personally use each area as a mini dungeon.
Had to get something out of the money I spent on it... :smallsigh:

Depending on how much you would pay for it i would say its almost a better idea to buy smaller modules with better story. Then just fill in the gaps with homebrew stories.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-26, 06:23 AM
Crusader
Binder
Warlock
Sorcerer

That should about cover it.

ken-do-nim
2009-12-26, 06:50 AM
Summoning might just be my favorite tactic in 3.5. I heard Castle Whiterock doesn't allow summoning either. What is it with these megadungeons whimsically choosing to nerf summoning? I'd say no thank you to either of those and pick up the best 3.5 megadungeon: Rappan Athuk Reloaded.