PDA

View Full Version : So what is super man disguise skill?

Akisa
2009-12-25, 08:53 PM
So I was wondering what is super man's disguise skill? He is able to fool people by simply putting on pair of glasses, along with shirt and pants w/o effort. Or is it that the world's spot check isn't worth a frak?

Flickerdart
2009-12-25, 08:59 PM
If Superman had a high Disguise score, then he'd actually be effective at it. Either he has inhuman Charisma (thus pulling the act off without actually being trained in it) or the Clark Kent clothes have a powerful enchantment that stops people from making the connection.

Mastikator
2009-12-25, 09:02 PM
Considering that he has super-everything else, allowing him to pull of epic level skill checks easily untrained as a free action...

Tengu_temp
2009-12-25, 09:03 PM
He has a superpower that lets him do that. Yes, it's the official explanation.

crazedloon
2009-12-25, 09:04 PM
don't forget his super slouch, if I am not mistaken it is something like 3 inches

jindra34
2009-12-25, 09:05 PM
Seeing through a disguise is more sense motive than spot. And seeing as how half of metropolis doesn't realize Lex is evilish I bet most of the city has an abismally low score at that.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-25, 09:09 PM
@^: Unless I see Lex Luthor do something terrible, like stealing 40 cakes, I will remain convinced that he is a good man.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-25, 09:20 PM
I've heard some backhanded, so called "official" standing which is that while in Superman form he "blurs" his appearance so nobody can tell that it's him.

Not sure if it's canon, but I despise Superman enough that I'd believe his writers would say such things.

Tengu_temp
2009-12-25, 09:24 PM
I despise Superman

Why? He's generic and bland only in the bad comics, you know.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-25, 09:26 PM
@^: Unless I see Lex Luthor do something terrible, like stealing 40 cakes, I will remain convinced that he is a good man.

40 cakes! That would be as many as 4 tens, which would be terrible!

Akisa
2009-12-25, 09:27 PM
Why? He's generic and bland only in the bad comics, you know.

It's because Superman worships Bahamut, and FerhagoRosewood worships tiamat.

chiasaur11
2009-12-25, 09:28 PM

A subconcious superpower even.

Super-hypnosis.

sonofzeal
2009-12-25, 09:49 PM
A subconcious superpower even.

Super-hypnosis.
Indeed. Super-hypnosis is the official, Golden Age explanation. And that's terrible.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-25, 10:14 PM
It's because Superman worships Bahamut, and FerhagoRosewood worships tiamat.

You know I was going to go on and on about my reasons... But I'll just go with this.

^-^

Dixieboy
2009-12-25, 10:26 PM

But, that makes his "Super disguise" super power invalid :smallfrown:

herrhauptmann
2009-12-25, 10:36 PM
So I was wondering what is super man's disguise skill? He is able to fool people by simply putting on pair of glasses, along with shirt and pants w/o effort. Or is it that the world's spot check isn't worth a frak?

I believe part of it is the mere fact of how meek his alter ego actually is.
At some point Lex Luthor actually realized with deduction that Kent was superman, then decided the data must be in error because there's no way someone with Superman's powers would be somebody as pathetic as Kent.

It probably was easier back in the old days when Superman wasn't built like a steroid junkie.

Green Bean
2009-12-25, 11:13 PM
The current explanation is that very few people even realize that Superman even has a secret identity. He doesn't wear a mask, makes numerous public appearances, and has a private fortress for his off time. Between the glasses, and the change of clothes and posture, Clark Kent's just a guy who happens to look a bit like a celebrity. It'd be like knowing a guy who looks kind of like Bono.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-25, 11:21 PM
Reprinted from Brilliant Gameologists (I think):

Kal-El of Krypton, Superman
Medium Humanoid
Wounds: 210 WP, 885 VP (30d8+750)
Initiative: +22
Speed: 450 ft; fly 1350 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 40 (+5 Dex, +10 natural, +15 speed) touch 30, flat footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +30/+102
Attack: Slam +72 melee (6d6 + 34 /19-20)
Full Attack: 2 slams +72 melee (6d6 + 34 /19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft. /5 ft.
Special Attacks: Cold breath, heat vision
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 50/magic, energy resistance (acid, cold, disintegration) 100, energy resistance (force, sonic) 20, immunity to fire and radiation, Kryptonite vulnerability, magic vulnerability, solar powered, super senses, super speed, super strength
Saves: Fort +42, Ref +35, Will +22
Abilities: Str 65, Dex 17, Con 60, Int 17, Wis 21, Cha 26
Skills: Bluff +25, Craft (writing) +33, Diplomacy +30, Disguise +28 (+32 acting), Gather Information +25, Handle Animal +13, Intimidate +40, Investigate +18, Jump +127, Knowledge (current events) +23, Knowledge (history) +20, Knowledge (local - Krypton) +10, Knowledge (streetwise) +20, Listen +48, Move Silently +18, Profession (farmer) +8, Profession (writer) +21, Sense Motive +30, Spot +48, Survival +26, Swim +63
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Endurance, Fly-by Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Power Attack
Epic Feats: Epic Endurance, Epic Toughness, Polyglot
Climate/Terrain: Metropolis
Organization: Solitary (unique) or with JLA
Challenge Rating: 40
Treasure: None
Alignment: Lawful Good

Cold Breath (Ex):Once per round, as a standard action, Kal-El may exhale a blast of freezing cold winds from his mouth. This affects a 100 foot cone, and deals 10d6 points of cold damage. Creatures and objects within the area are also affected as if by a hurricane strength wind. Kal-El can maintain this power as an intense action, dealing 20d6 points of cold damage instead, for up to 3 rounds.

Heat Vision (Ex): Once per round, as a standard action, Kal-El may fire a blast of extreme heat from his eyes. This deals 10d6 points of fire damage and requires a ranged touch attack to connect. With an intense action, Kal-El may increase the damage to 20d6 per round. Kal-El can maintain his heat vision in this manner for 35 rounds. Creatures who are vulnerable to the sun take an additional 50% damage from Kal-El's heat vision.

Kryptonite Vulnerability (Ex): The proximity of Kryptonite within 20 feet causes Kal-El to take 4d6 points of wound damage per round. When suffering under the effects of Kryptonite proximity, Kal-El's damage reduction is reduced to 15/magic. His Strength suffers a -10 penalty per round of exposure. (Minimum 1)

Using any of his Kryptonian powers (flight, heat vision, cold breath, or super speed) while under the effects of Kryptonite requires a Constitution check (DC 40).

The effects given are for an amount of Kryptonite weighting approximately 1-2 lbs. Larger amounts can affect a larger radius, and smaller amounts may require closer proximity and cause a less pronounced effect.

Weapons constructed from Kryptonite ignore Kal-El's damage reduction and natural armor.

Magic Vulnerability: Kal-El is vulnerable to magic. He suffers a -10 penalty to all saves against magic, including spells, spell-like ablities, and supernatural abilities. (This is an exception to the magic/psionics transparency) Also, magical energy attacks affected by spell resistance ignore Kal's resistances and immunities.

Solar Powered: Direct contact with yellow solar matter results in Kal-El gaining increased strength and power. This effect varies, and can't be accurately statted.

Red solar energies have shown a debilitating effect on Kal El. While this is not completely documented, they have at times negated his special attacks, special qualities, flight, reduced his land speed to 30 ft, and reduced his physical ability scores to 20 or lower. As this is not properly documented, it cannot be reliably stated the exact effects of red solar energy upon Kal.

Super Senses (Ex): Kal El can see and hear at a distance far beyond that of a human being. He suffers distance penalties of -1 per mile instead of 1 per 10 feet. By focusing (requiring one of his swift actions for the round), he can extend this by a factor of 10 per swift action used. This is cumulative, so if he used three of his swift actions to extend his senses, he would suffer a -1 penalty per 1000 miles.

Superman takes a -1 penalty to saves against light based attacks for every swift action he is spending improving his sight. He takes a -1 penalty to saves against sound based attacks for every swift action he is spending improving his hearing.

By focusing his sight as a swift action, Kal may see through solid material. This power is blocked by lead.

By focusing his sight as a swift action, Superman may see into the microscopic spectrum. This eliminates any size bonus to armor class or Hide checks.

Superman possesses darkvision and low light vision.

Super Speed Level 15 (Ex):
+15 speed bonus to AC, initiative, and Reflex saves
+15 speed bonus to attack rolls
+7 speed bonus to melee damage rolls

Kal may make 15 swift actions in a round.
Kal reduces the amount of time to complete an action by 3 steps, allowing him to take full round actions as swift actions and standard actions as immediate actions.

Characters with less than Superspeed level 7 are considered flat-footed for the purposes of Kal's attacks. Characters with Uncanny Dodge have an effective Superspeed Level equal to their Dexterity modifier for this purpose.
When using the run action, Kal moves 40x his movement rate (18,000 feet; 54,000 feet fly)

Super Strength Level 15:
+30 Strength and strength based checks
Lift capacity x32,768

Skills: Superman has a +30 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

ericgrau
2009-12-25, 11:43 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HDLEycm-LIE/SOGXGbIDKsI/AAAAAAAAGGc/vqw056CrPkI/s1600/11.jpg

Pie Guy
2009-12-25, 11:45 PM
Super-Paranoia?

Tetsubo 57
2009-12-26, 06:48 AM
The current explanation is that very few people even realize that Superman even has a secret identity. He doesn't wear a mask, makes numerous public appearances, and has a private fortress for his off time. Between the glasses, and the change of clothes and posture, Clark Kent's just a guy who happens to look a bit like a celebrity. It'd be like knowing a guy who looks kind of like Bono.

Exactly. Who is going to think that an ordinary shlub is SUPERMAN?

BobVosh
2009-12-26, 07:11 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HDLEycm-LIE/SOGXGbIDKsI/AAAAAAAAGGc/vqw056CrPkI/s1600/11.jpg

Why is Lois testing all salt shakers vs superman fingerprints? Seems kinda shifty.

Anyway all three explanations in this thread are correct.
1. He uses super speed to constantly blur a bit as Kent.
2. He used superbots to impersonate himself for a while so he looked like he was always out there, no secret identity(they stopped that, something about how the sun flares shifted the radiation so the kryptonian metal is weak again or something)
3. Super hypnotism. Low key type thing. Probably whenever he gets a superhunch he whips up a super hypnotism. To reinforce this I bet he uses super ventriloquism.

Anyway, I think he would have no ranks in disguise. Just an always active glibness spell.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-26, 07:21 AM
Superman only has an okay Disguise score - he can act and change his posture and stuff, but actually changing his appearance is apparently beyond him.

But he can also vibrate himself at superspeed so photographs don't come out well and stuff. He also just relies on people not being able to comprehend that Clark Kent, of all people, is Superman.

I mean, if you knew a guy like Clark Kent, would you believe he's really an alien superhero? I don't think I would.

Kris Strife
2009-12-26, 08:23 AM
Hm... Brilliant Gameologists forgot that he's not weak against magic, just that he doesn't have immunity to it. It doesn't affect him more than it does average Joe-Shmo and he can actually survive magical effects that would kill say, Batman.

And yes, Super-Hypnosis, magnified through the Kryptonian Glass that he used for his Clark Kent glasses is the official explination.

Edit: http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=742:more-super-hypnotism&catid=36:stupor-powers-index&Itemid=38

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-26, 08:33 AM
I want to know where he gets all these materials from a planet that blew up shortly after he was born.

shadow_archmagi
2009-12-26, 08:34 AM
So, when he gets hit by kryptonite, people suddenly say "Hey you're clark kent"

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-26, 08:36 AM
So, when he gets hit by kryptonite, people suddenly say "Hey you're clark kent"

No, when Clark Kent gets hit by kryptonite people say "Hey you're Superman". Superman doesn't use hypnosis to disguise his Superman identity.

AslanCross
2009-12-26, 10:17 AM
It's a side effect of his Super-weaving. (http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=53&limitstart=4)

ericgrau
2009-12-26, 11:18 AM
Why is Lois testing all salt shakers vs superman fingerprints? Seems kinda shifty.
The more amusing part was that Clark Kent was in the diner minutes ago. And of all things he's worried about his fingerprints.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-26, 11:22 AM
I mean, if you knew a guy like Clark Kent, would you believe he's really an alien superhero? I don't think I would.

As the old quote from Kill Bill goes: Clark Kent is Superman's costume, and also his assessment of the human race. Most people wouldn't want to believe that Clark Kent is Superman because that'd remind them that Superman is an alien far superior to any living human.

Roderick_BR
2009-12-26, 11:33 AM
I've heard some backhanded, so called "official" standing which is that while in Superman form he "blurs" his appearance so nobody can tell that it's him.

Not sure if it's canon, but I despise Superman enough that I'd believe his writers would say such things.

Jay Garric, the first Flash, did that. I don't know if Superman used that, since he showed clean faced in so many photos for the Daily Planet.

I say those glasses give a +10 circunstance bonus to hide.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-26, 11:36 AM
As the old quote from Kill Bill goes: Clark Kent is Superman's costume, and also his assessment of the human race. Most people wouldn't want to believe that Clark Kent is Superman because that'd remind them that Superman is an alien far superior to any living human.

That's kinda complicated, really. Superman is a costume, too.

Kal-El's real persona is the Clark Kent he grew up as in Smallville. The Clark Kent persona he projects really isn't much like his real self, but his Superman persona isn't either.

Kris Strife
2009-12-26, 12:22 PM
I want to know where he gets all these materials from a planet that blew up shortly after he was born.

The space pod that his parents sent him in.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-26, 01:01 PM
The space pod that his parents sent him in.

Musta been one big space pod.

ericgrau
2009-12-26, 01:49 PM
In a world where this can happen, could you ever really be sure?

http://superdickery.com/images/stories/stupor/whoa9wo.jpg

Knaight
2009-12-26, 01:51 PM
So the writers never took a chem class in highschool then?

ericgrau
2009-12-26, 02:09 PM
Wait, wait I like this (http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=28&Itemid=45&limitstart=14) explanation better :smallbiggrin:. Unfortunately I can't show it here b/c the forum sensor bleeped the image url.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-26, 02:15 PM
That's kinda complicated, really. Superman is a costume, too.

Kal-El's real persona is the Clark Kent he grew up as in Smallville. The Clark Kent persona he projects really isn't much like his real self, but his Superman persona isn't either.

Not entirely true, because even then Superman is Superman. He was born Superman and became Clark Kent so he could, at least superficially, pretend to be human. Clark Kent is the mask he puts on to play nice with us. Superman is the face behind that mask, because it's the face he was born with and the face he arrived to Earth with.

Mewtarthio
2009-12-26, 02:25 PM
In a world where this can happen, could you ever really be sure?

...He acquires the ability to telepathically control machines from across the galaxy, and he uses it to brag to Lois about all the alien chicks he's scored with?

Now that is epic-level Superdickery.

ChrisDemilich
2009-12-26, 02:41 PM
Glasses of Disguise - Lesser Artifact

The glasses of disguise are a marvelous item; simply putting them on makes others fail to realize you are you. Even close friends, and family are fooled.

The Glasses grant the following abilities:

+45 Disguise checks
+45 Bluff checks

Furthermore, if anyone ever succeeds on a save against either your disguise or bluff checks made in an attempt to hide your real identity, they are forced to make a secondary save. If that save fails, they convince themselves that there is no way that you could be yourself. This is a mind affecting effect, but is capable of affecting even beings which are normally immune to mind affecting effects.

Strong Transmutation. Caster Level 20th.

InkEyes
2009-12-26, 03:03 PM
Pretty sure this has been said before, but I think it deserves repetition...

Super-Hypnosis has been out of continuity for twenty years.

They wiped out all of his stupid silver age powers then, he can't even push planets out of their orbit anymore! Green bean has it right when he says this:

I think Christopher Reeve did a good job distinguishing Clark Kent from Superman.

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/11/97/Clarksupescompare.0.0.0x0.329x254.jpeg

God, I am such a nerd. :smallfrown:

Kris Strife
2009-12-26, 03:42 PM
Not entirely true, because even then Superman is Superman. He was born Superman and became Clark Kent so he could, at least superficially, pretend to be human. Clark Kent is the mask he puts on to play nice with us. Superman is the face behind that mask, because it's the face he was born with and the face he arrived to Earth with.

Actually, Clark Kent is who Superman is. Kind of like Batman is Bruce Wayne's true identity. A good Superman movie focuses more on Clark, showing how human he is, despite the fact that he could heat vision us all to death from orbit, or use his pinky finger to turn us inside out. Keep in mind, he came to earth as a very young child and didn't know about Krypton until his teen years. (Superbaby comics aside.)

Bruce Wayne is just the disguise that Batman uses to get the resources he needs to fight crime. He's got a very alien mindset to most of us, despite the fact he was born on earth and has no super powers.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-26, 04:12 PM
Actually, Clark Kent is who Superman is. Kind of like Batman is Bruce Wayne's true identity. A good Superman movie focuses more on Clark, showing how human he is, despite the fact that he could heat vision us all to death from orbit, or use his pinky finger to turn us inside out. Keep in mind, he came to earth as a very young child and didn't know about Krypton until his teen years. (Superbaby comics aside.)

Bruce Wayne is just the disguise that Batman uses to get the resources he needs to fight crime. He's got a very alien mindset to most of us, despite the fact he was born on earth and has no super powers.

Not entirely true, again. Bruce Wayne was born as Bruce Wayne. He grew up as Bruce Wayne, lived life as Bruce Wayne and wears the Batman persona when he's fighting crime. Arguably, he has become more Batman than Bruce Wayne as he grows older(and in Batman Beyond he is just Batman. No longer does Bruce Wayne make public appearances or even talk to old friends).

However, Clark Kent is an identity crafted for Superman. Superman is not Clark Kent. He never can be, because Clark Kent is just a human man who works for a newspaper and pines for a coworker. Regardless of who he pretends to be: Clark Kent will always be the persona he wears when he pretends to be human. Superman didn't know pain until he found Kryptonite. Superman might still not know what a cold is. Superman will never get cancer, he'll never know what it feels like to be physically weak and he'll never know the annoyance of stubbing his toe on a table without Kryptonite.

While personal taste in movies cannot be debated: I feel a good Superman movie focuses not on the persona of Clark Kent, but on the contrast of Superman's immense power versus his inability to empathize entirely with the rest of humanity. Sure, he grew up with a family. He knows what it's like to be loved. But he doesn't know what it's like to have his mother comfort him after the local bully punches him in the face. Because if anyone tried to punch the young Clark Kent they'd just harm themselves.

In closing: Superman was always Superman from the moment he entered our Solar System. He didn't learn he was Kal'el until he founded the Fortress of Solitude. He was never truly Clark Kent because that's only who the Kents told him he was. He was always superhuman, and because of that could never be lesser without the intervention of Kryptonite.

Setra
2009-12-26, 04:14 PM
Didn't Superman grow up as Clark Kent, though?

I would think growing up as Clark Kent has a lot to do with who Superman is, I mean.. imagine if someone else in say, the Soviet Union had raised him?

Solaris
2009-12-26, 04:17 PM
Not entirely true, again. Bruce Wayne was born as Bruce Wayne. He grew up as Bruce Wayne, lived life as Bruce Wayne and wears the Batman persona when he's fighting crime. Arguably, he has become more Batman than Bruce Wayne as he grows older(and in Batman Beyond he is just Batman. No longer does Bruce Wayne make public appearances or even talk to old friends).

However, Clark Kent is an identity crafted for Superman. Superman is not Clark Kent. He never can be, because Clark Kent is just a human man who works for a newspaper and pines for a coworker. Regardless of who he pretends to be: Clark Kent will always be the persona he wears when he pretends to be human. Superman didn't know pain until he found Kryptonite. Superman might still not know what a cold is. Superman will never get cancer, he'll never know what it feels like to be physically weak and he'll never know the annoyance of stubbing his toe on a table without Kryptonite.

While personal taste in movies cannot be debated: I feel a good Superman movie focuses not on the persona of Clark Kent, but on the contrast of Superman's immense power versus his inability to empathize entirely with the rest of humanity. Sure, he grew up with a family. He knows what it's like to be loved. But he doesn't know what it's like to have his mother comfort him after the local bully punches him in the face. Because if anyone tried to punch the young Clark Kent they'd just harm themselves.

In closing: Superman was always Superman from the moment he entered our Solar System. He didn't learn he was Kal'el until he founded the Fortress of Solitude. He was never truly Clark Kent because that's only who the Kents told him he was. He was always superhuman, and because of that could never be lesser without the intervention of Kryptonite.

I think you missed the point. It's not about who they started off as, it's who they choose and try to be. Given the choice, Batman would never be Batman (as you said, he stopped being Bruce Wayne altogether in Batman Beyond). However, Supes would prefer to live as Clark Kent if the world no longer needed Superman.

I still maintain Superman has little-no Disguise skill, it's just that nobody's got the guts to point out to 'Clark' that his disguise is pretty thin for fear of a super-nut-punch.

Kris Strife
2009-12-26, 04:30 PM

He grew up as Clark Kent and in most versions, he did not have superpowers growing up, as Superboy usually focuses on his teenage years and often times he's discovering his super powers at this time. Even when he's Superman, he acts like a down home farm boy from Kansas, who just happens to be one of the most powerful beings on the planet. He is extremely human, and more humane than almost any other person. When the comics focus on Superman being this all powerful, completely alien being, they usually suck. But when they look at him as being an honest, courageous and heroic human who just happens to have near deific powers... Well, thats the ones people remember most.

He knows fear, he knows pain and he knows loss. Read the comics leading up to Doomsday's origional appearance. Read what he says at his interview.

Whoever Bruce Wayne was as a child, he died that night when his parents were shot, and became Batman instead. When Clark Kent discovered he was Kal-El, he took on the mantle of Superman to protect those who could not protect themselves, but always he was Clark Kent, a farm boy from Smallville.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-26, 04:44 PM
There are two Clark Kents, which seems to be where the confusion comes from.

Clark Kent the reporter is a (mostly) fictional persona utilised to be as unassuming as possible while still allowing Supes access to breaking news to aid in his superheroics.

Clark Kent the down-home farm boy from Kansas is a real person. He grew up as a human in Kansas. He has a mother and a father he visits regularly, as himself and not as Superman. He is remarkably different from his Metropolis persona - many of his friends in Metropolis would have a hard time believing they were the same person if they didn't know his parents.

Superman is also a fictional persona, although he's much closer to the real Clark Kent than Clark Kent the reporter is.

One important thing: in his internal monologue, he doesn't avoid calling himself Clark. Bruce Wayne always calls himself Batman. (Clark calls Batman 'Bruce' sometimes, though.)