PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] ToB ranged character advice (using homebrew disciplines)

Break
2009-12-26, 02:05 AM
So I'm going to be participating in a 3.x game soon, and I'm a little rusty after being away from it for a few months. That said, I could use advice on a ToB gunner character involving three homebrew disciplines - Black Rain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99529), Falling Star (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Falling_Star_Discipline), and True Arrow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2769638&postcount=7).

Starting at level 12, normal WBL, stats rolled using 5d6 drop lowest two (resulting in an array of 18, 16, 16, 14, 12, 10). The "revolvers" I'll be using are simply reflavored longbows, so any references to reloading in Black Rain maneuvers are going to be replaced with something else - in particular, Gather the Storm just confers a bonus to hit equal to your highest mental stat modifier, and Black Tempest allows you to make another shot as a swift action as long as you're in the stance.

My first plan is to go with a splitting weapon along with taking the Precise Shot feat if I can afford it, and making the build Warblade 11/Swordsage 1, in order to keep that last iterative while gaining access to a few Falling Star maneuvers immediately at IL 12.

I'm also subbing out Stone Dragon for True Arrow, and using the training option to gain Black Rain. I'm open to dropping one of the three schools above if they're redundant, though. As for existing schools, I'm probably going to dip into White Raven for WRT, and Diamond Mind for the concentration saves.

The only thing really set in stone is the gunner concept, as well as using the ToB - the details are free to be shuffled around. Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

As an aside, though, what's the RAW on using a splitting weapon with strikes? My DM's already made a ruling on it, so it's just to satisfy my curiosity.

Eldariel
2009-12-26, 07:15 AM
Well, by RAW you'd just basically make an extra attack each time you Initiate a Strike with a Splitting Weapon. Strictly speaking, I don't think any bonuses from the Strike would apply.

Stats seem quite straight-forward: As an Archer, you don't need that much Con so Dex > Str > Int (since you're a Warblade) > Con > Wis > Cha seems like the way to go. I'd definitely chat with the DM to modify Warblade a bit so the various Int-derived abilities work with bows (by RAW only some of them do) and that you could pick up some Archery-feats as bonus feats from the bonus feat slots. Those would help a lot

Yeah, White Raven is good; Order Forged From Chaos is another maneuver I particularly like in addition to White Raven Tactics. Overall, stuff that aids your allies is nice. You may want to consider Iron Heart for some parries (Wall of Blades, Scorpion Parry) you could use with an Elvencraft Bow, and Iron Heart Surge/Focus/Endurance. Diamond Mind also has Time Stands Still (incredible with bows) and Tiger Claw has Dancing/Raging Mongoose (fine with bows) so something to consider.

Other than that, +1 Seeking Force Splitting Bow to go with PBS/Rapid Shot/Precise Shot, Weapon Mastery: Piercing if available and Go To Town.