PDA

View Full Version : Princess Bride Characters

BobVosh
2009-12-26, 04:45 AM
How would you stat them?

Westley I see as a rogue, swashbuckler with better stats than most others. Obviously using daring outlaw.
Inigo Montoya seems like a straight fighter/duelist
Fezzik seems like a halfogre X and into warhulk
Prince Humperdinck should be rangertype, but he never uses bows or two weapon fighting. Is there a class that does tracking as well?

Curious what class would best fit them.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-12-26, 04:49 AM
I shall await the posts in this thread eagerly.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-26, 04:55 AM
Prince Humperdinck should be rangertype, but he never uses bows or two weapon fighting. Is there a class that does tracking as well?

An expert with the track feat?
A rogue with the track feat?

BobVosh
2009-12-26, 04:56 AM
An expert with the track feat?
A rogue with the track feat?

If it is just going to use the track feat I bet aristocrat would be the best.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-26, 04:59 AM
If it is just going to use the track feat I bet aristocrat would be the best.

He seemed rather versed in poison lore. That would suggest Knowledge (Nature) and Heal. I'll stick with expert.

Kesnit
2009-12-26, 07:08 AM
Count Rugan: Swashbuckler and the torturer PrC from BoVD.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-26, 11:50 AM
He seemed rather versed in poison lore. That would suggest Knowledge (Nature) and Heal. I'll stick with expert.

Aristocrats get all Knowledge skills, but not Heal. I'm sure he'd have a couple levels of Aristocrat at least.

Vezzini - probably a straight Rogue with maxed Int and Knowledge(useless trivia).

Buttercup - definitely Commoner 1. Probably Int 10 and 4 ranks in Ride, 2 in Profession(farm girl), 1 in Handle Animal and 1 in Swim. Poor Wisdom and high Charisma.

Westley - the Dread Pirate prestige class seems like an obvious choice :smallamused:

Mongoose87
2009-12-26, 01:26 PM
It's too bad Duelist is so awful, because it suits Inigo Montoya so well.

Sebastian
2009-12-26, 03:04 PM
Inigo is a ranger, with favored enemy: six fingered men. :smallbiggrin:

Longcat
2009-12-26, 03:10 PM
Inigo is definitely a Warblade, given his flamboyant style and shouting out maneuvers like "Bonetti's Defense" or "Capo Ferro".

ocdscale
2009-12-26, 03:12 PM
Inigo is definitely a Warblade, given his flamboyant style and shouting out maneuvers like "Bonetti's Defense" or "Capo Ferro".

I find Thibault cancels out Capo Ferro.

tribble
2009-12-26, 03:15 PM

unless the enemy has-a studied his Agrippa!
Which I have!

Saintjebus
2009-12-26, 03:15 PM
Inigo Montoya definitely has Diehard. You can't tell me he wasn't in the negatives by the time his battle was done.

Knaight
2009-12-26, 03:18 PM
Most definitely. And he needs Iron Heart Surge. Verbal component: "You killed my father; prepare to die!" Even if it doesn't technically need a verbal component...

Grynning
2009-12-26, 03:27 PM
Funny enough, after re-watching the film the other night I was inspired to make the characters in 4th edition. I only got Inigo (Rogue) and Westley (Warlord) done. I'm at work atm but I'll post them in here later.
Vezzini, Humperdink and probably Buttercup would be NPC's in 4th ed. Fezzik is going to be hard, since there's no good unarmed, strength based builds yet.

Shpadoinkle
2009-12-26, 03:47 PM

That's what I was thinking, although he may have a few levels of swordsage as well. Same goes for The Man in Black.

Fezzik would be a half-giant with a couple levels of unarmed swordsage. He relied both on his enormous strength as well as technique (the book goes into more detail about this).

Vizzini would probably be a beguiler or something similar. No he never cast any spells, but he was brilliant and knew how to manipulate people.

Miracle Max would fit as an artificer who specialized in making various healing items.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-26, 04:05 PM
I suspet Vizzini has a level in bard, even though he has (what I think to be) poor charisma. That would cover the "Knowledge(Useless information)". Either that or he has ranks in bluff, as he made up all sorts of stuff. Australia isn't filled with criminals, after all.

I would think of Miracle Max as an adept with an extremely high wisdom, who is in one of the older age categories. Then again, I've never actually read the thing on Artificers. He took the brew potion feat, and can put the potions into the form of chocolates.

Swordgleam
2009-12-26, 04:22 PM
Miracle Max would either be a Wizard or an Artificer with a lot of rituals - one assumes not all his miracles require potions.

I like the idea of Wesley as a warlord. He does seem able to buff his allies and help them do things they couldn't otherwise accomplish, and warlords can be pretty good in melee combat as well.

Draz74
2009-12-26, 05:15 PM
I can't see Westley as a Warlord. Too dexterous, too good at fighting. I could definitely see a Warlord multiclass, though. Maybe on an Artful Dodger Rogue.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-26, 10:47 PM
Australia isn't filled with criminals, after all.

Australia was once used as a prison colony by the British Empire in the late 18th to early 19th centuries. Although there were also other colonists as well as various indigenous peoples there.

UserClone
2009-12-27, 12:02 AM

unless the enemy has-a studied his Agrippa!
Which I have!

I frickin' love you guys. :smallsmile:

Grynning
2009-12-27, 12:24 AM
I can't see Westley as a Warlord. Too dexterous, too good at fighting. I could definitely see a Warlord multiclass, though. Maybe on an Artful Dodger Rogue.

I houseruled his stats, because most movie characters have far better stats than D&D characters would. I actually took the Ranger multiclass because it was the best way to get Perception trained . Anyways, here's my Westley Warlord:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Westley, level 8
Human, Warlord
Commanding Presence: Resourceful Presence
Background: Occupation - Mariner (Acrobatics class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 14.

AC: 20 Fort: 21 Reflex: 19 Will: 20
HP: 66 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +12, Acrobatics +11, Endurance +11, Athletics +13, Intimidate +12, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Bluff +9, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +9, Insight +7, Nature +7, Religion +9, Stealth +8, Streetwise +9, Thievery +8

FEATS
Human: Toughness
Level 1: Action Surge
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
Level 4: Warrior of the Wild
Level 6: Jack of All Trades
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Rousing Assault
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Viper's Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Nimble Footwork
Warlord daily 1: Lead the Attack
Warlord utility 2: Adaptive Stratagem
Warlord encounter 3: Bloody Ending
Warlord daily 5: Villain's Nightmare
Warlord utility 6: Inspiring Reaction
Warlord encounter 7: Wild Runner Strike

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Rapier
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Not perfect, but it would work I think

Geddoe
2009-12-27, 12:24 AM
Inigo - Warblade
Fezzik - Fighter/Reaping Mauler with SUA
Wesley - Paragon(yeah, the epic template) Human Rogue - fights better than swordsmen, outwrestles giants, is smart, charming, perceptive, tough and just generally better than everybody at everything

Sewblon
2009-12-27, 12:40 AM
Wesley - Paragon(yeah, the epic template) Human Rogue - fights better than swordsmen, outwrestles giants, is smart, charming, perceptive, tough and just generally better than everybody at everything Except killing six-fingered men, and his spot and listen checks can't be as supercharged as his other abilities since a giant rat, and Humperdink's men all ambushed him.

Thurbane
2009-12-27, 12:53 AM
Wesley - Paragon(yeah, the epic template) Human Rogue - fights better than swordsmen, outwrestles giants, is smart, charming, perceptive, tough and just generally better than everybody at everythingBetter at everything than a Rogue? Sounds like Factotum. :smalltongue:

Swordgleam
2009-12-27, 02:39 AM
TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +12, Acrobatics +11, Endurance +11, Athletics +13, Intimidate +12, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Bluff +9, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +9, Insight +7, Nature +7, Religion +9, Stealth +8, Streetwise +9, Thievery +8

I'd definitely have Bluff instead of Perception trained, but otherwise this looks great. I mean, how could he not have Bluff trained? "To the pain."

Grynning
2009-12-27, 04:21 AM
I'd definitely have Bluff instead of Perception trained, but otherwise this looks great. I mean, how could he not have Bluff trained? "To the pain."

That was totally an intimidate check, IMO. Hence his intimidate score.

Geddoe
2009-12-27, 04:41 AM
Except killing six-fingered men, and his spot and listen checks can't be as supercharged as his other abilities since a giant rat, and Humperdink's men all ambushed him.

He didn't really get a good go at Rugan in combat. The rat/guards just rolled lucky while Wesley rolled poorly and was facing the distraction of being alone with the most beautiful woman(storywise) in the world who he is meeting again and is madly in love with.

Better at everything than a Rogue? Sounds like Factotum. :smalltongue:
No, better than everybody at everything.

Sewblon
2009-12-27, 04:59 AM
He didn't really get a good go at Rugan in combat. The rat/guards just rolled lucky while Wesley rolled poorly and was facing the distraction of being alone with the most beautiful woman(storywise) in the world who he is meeting again and is madly in love with.

No, better than everybody at everything. Unlucky rolling excuses getting ambushed once, but not twice in a row. I guess we will never know how he would have fared against Rugan, but he still doesn't have the power of "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!"

raitalin
2009-12-27, 04:59 AM

No, better than everybody at everything.

Like he said, Factotum. Perhaps a Sublime Factotum with Martial Dilettante replacing Arcane Dilettante and Opportunistic Piety.

Wesley: Sublime Factotum/Dread Pirate
Inigo: Swordsage. Not the smartest guy, but an iron will and an absurd amount of fencing education.
Fezzik: Definitely half-giant Fighter, relied on strength and technique, but nowhere near as versed on a variety like Inigo.
Vezzini: Rogue, lots of Int, very little Cha or Wis, focused on social skills, though it seems like he could pick a pocket or a lock if he needed to.
Buttercup: Commoner/Aristocrat
Humperdink: Aristocrat/Expert with the track feat
Miracle Max: Adept w/ Brew Potion

EvenSeven
2009-12-27, 05:54 AM
Peter Falk is probably a bard or similar. Fred Savage is likely a commoner and probably evil (murdered by pirates is good!). :smalltongue:

Sewblon
2009-12-27, 06:41 AM
Peter Falk is probably a bard or similar. Fred Savage is likely a commoner and probably evil (murdered by pirates is good!). :smalltongue:

Fred Savage was in The Wizard, so of course he is evil.

ondonaflash
2009-12-27, 08:17 AM
Westley didn't get ambushed, at least not in the case of the rats, he knew they were there and just didn't want to alert Buttercup, who was prone to panic (According to the book).

Asgardian
2009-12-27, 08:28 AM
Im surprised no one said hulking hurler for Fezzik

Shpadoinkle
2009-12-27, 08:38 AM
Im surprised no one said hulking hurler for Fezzik

Probably because he doesn't focus on throwing huge boulders, he focuses in unarmed melee. He threw ONE rock in the movie, which wasn't even his idea, and I'm not sure that was even in the book.

sonofzeal
2009-12-27, 08:47 AM
A note on Humperdink - in the book, he's a master grappler, out-wrestles gorillas with ease. This means he has a Grapple check of something greater than +12, probably at least +20. Also, he has a menagerie of exotic animals that he collects solely for the purpose of sparring against. The Pit of Despair was at the bottom level of this zoo.

My impression, then, is that he may be a Ranger with Favoured Enemy: Animal, grapple feats, and an impressive Str score.

Sebastian
2009-12-27, 09:16 AM
A better point is that "a princess bride" character were made using FATE rather than D&D, Wesley had the Aspect "True Love" that he could trigger to climb the cliffs of insanity, defeat inigo, Fezzik and Vizzini etc., (when he was ambushed was because he was out of FATE Points.:smallbiggrin: ) Inigo had the "you killed my father!" aspect, and so on, and so forth.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-27, 11:10 AM
I love this film! Here's something I just made: :smallbiggrin:

Warning. It may bee too big, so I added an spoiler.
Warning. It may displace your screen.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6558/princessbride.jpg

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-27, 02:17 PM
the distraction of being alone with the most beautiful woman(storywise) in the world who he is meeting again and is madly in love with.

That must make for one heck of a circumstance penalty! :smallamused::smallwink:

Swordgleam
2009-12-27, 05:13 PM
A better point is that "a princess bride" character were made using FATE rather than D&D, Wesley had the Aspect "True Love" that he could trigger to climb the cliffs of insanity, defeat inigo, Fezzik and Vizzini etc., (when he was ambushed was because he was out of FATE Points.:smallbiggrin: ) Inigo had the "you killed my father!" aspect, and so on, and so forth.

I like this way of doing things. Because presumably Westley isn't always better than everyone at everything - just when there's an obstacle between him and True Love.

Thurbane
2009-12-27, 05:19 PM
How about if they were made using FATAL? :smalltongue:

Sebastian
2009-12-27, 05:26 PM

Aahhh, curse you!!! now my brain is trying to imagine the resulting movie, Brain bleach! BRAIIIN BLEAAAAAAACH!!!

Geddoe
2009-12-27, 10:49 PM
I like this way of doing things. Because presumably Westley isn't always better than everyone at everything - just when there's an obstacle between him and True Love.

Well, we do know, from the book at least, that he is only greater than Inigo in a duel when on level ground with few obstacles. In the book, when Inigo gets in the nearby trees, he has the upperhand during there duel, it is only on level ground that Wesley absolutely crushes him.

And stop saying Dread Pirate, it is a terrible class. Just because it has the same name as his title doesn't mean he needs the class(see Miko's samurai comic strip).

Swordgleam
2009-12-27, 11:04 PM
And stop saying Dread Pirate, it is a terrible class.

It is, however, a fantastic board game.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-27, 11:33 PM
And stop saying Dread Pirate, it is a terrible class. Just because it has the same name as his title doesn't mean he needs the class(see Miko's samurai comic strip).

Right, of course. Nothing says "realism" quite like only playing only classes that are awesome. Yup, all those classes that are less than perfect, despite being perfect (fluff-wise), couldn't possibly be played. (End Sarcasm)

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-28, 02:26 AM
I was under the impression that Dread Pirate was specifically designed for this very purpose.

Zaydos
2009-12-28, 02:47 AM
My vote would be exceptionally exceptional Factotum for Wesley. He was able to excel at all things. Some homebrewed Sublime Factotum would do better though. I'd definitely not say Dread Pirate, while it has the same name the actual pirate portion of Wesley was very secondary and he doesn't dual wield or any such. Maybe Swashbuckler 3 (for Int to damage) and Factotum the rest.

Inigo is a warblade, come on his rank as a swordsman is wizard, he obviously is using Blade Magic.

Fezzik: half-ogre monk. He's big, he's strong, and he grapples. Maybe unarmed swordsage or even fighter (maybe some unarmed fighter variant, I think there was one in Dragon #310).

Humperdink: had some levels in ranger and aristocrat. Had a variant grappling based combat style (wasn't there one in a dragon magazine).

Miracle Max was an adept.

Buttercup: Commoner who took levels in Aristocrat.

Vezzini: I'm guessing rogue with knowledge (local).

Swordgleam
2009-12-28, 03:20 AM
Has anyone done anything class-wise yet with the fact that Fezzik is better at fighting groups than individuals? I don't know enough obscure 3.5 PrCs and feats to help with that.

Thurbane
2009-12-28, 04:20 AM
Has anyone done anything class-wise yet with the fact that Fezzik is better at fighting groups than individuals? I don't know enough obscure 3.5 PrCs and feats to help with that.
War Hulk does that pretty effectively.

Sewblon
2010-01-10, 04:29 AM
How about if they were made using FATAL? :smalltongue: Inigo and Westley would have hit each other in the uterus until their universe imploded. The End.

Lapak
2010-01-10, 10:11 AM
Fezzik would be a half-giant with a couple levels of unarmed swordsage. He relied both on his enormous strength as well as technique (the book goes into more detail about this).Heh. That would go some distance toward explaining something else, too; he has trouble with Westley because he hasn't fought a single opponent in so long. Clearly he swapped all his good single-target maneuvers for things that provide attacks of opportunity or movement denial against groups. :smallwink:

Kzickas
2010-01-10, 11:18 AM

Well since stats are rolled in order and classes are determined randomly, Fezznik would be a weakling barber, if you gave Inigo a sword he would trip over it, wesley would start the story already married (you roll for that too) and Buttercup would be an ugly prostitute

Mike_G
2010-01-10, 11:44 AM
I suspet Vizzini has a level in bard, even though he has (what I think to be) poor charisma. That would cover the "Knowledge(Useless information)". Either that or he has ranks in bluff, as he made up all sorts of stuff. Australia isn't filled with criminals, after all.

Well, it was started as a penal colony, so now it's just the descendants of criminals.

I'd give Wesley Swashbuckler/Factotum, since bested Fezzik at strength, bested Inigo with steel and out thought Vizzini. And he beats Humperdick with pure Bluff.

Sewblon
2010-01-10, 11:45 AM
Well since stats are rolled in order and classes are determined randomly, Fezznik would be a weakling barber, if you gave Inigo a sword he would trip over it, wesley would start the story already married (you roll for that too) and Buttercup would be an ugly prostitute More likely Westley would have been homosexual and Buttercup would be a rape victim with no concept of love.

Mike_G
2010-01-10, 11:50 AM
Can we get Inigo to seek revenge on the creators of FATAL?

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my hobby. Prepare to die."

Sewblon
2010-01-10, 11:54 AM
Can we get Inigo to seek revenge on the creators of FATAL?

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my hobby. Prepare to die."

I was thinking more along the lines of Humperdink hunting them down and breaking their necks for sport.

Mike_G
2010-01-10, 12:04 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Humperdink hunting them down and breaking their necks for sport.

I'd like to see Rugan steal as much life from them as they have from every roleplayer who has read even a page of the rulebook.

Sewblon
2010-01-10, 12:39 PM
I'd like to see Rugan steal as much life from them as they have from every roleplayer who has read even a page of the rulebook. Or we could force them to spend all eternity playing F.A.T.A.L 100% RAW, as female characters.

LegacyKing
2010-01-11, 07:19 PM
Hm, Character Concepts from the Princess Bride. I like :smallbiggrin:

Reading through this thread and hearing the back and forth (Friendly) banter of which class truly represents each character, makes me like the classless system I found about six months ago, so it's not a guessing game.

Just make the actual character to the concept and don't worry about which base class + prestige class fits. Always annoyed me that I can't be the 'actual' concept I want in a typical D&D game without shoehorning it in, and this thread proves that point. Give me Eclipse any day and I can build the character I want to actually play.

Though, I truly know what my next "surprise" d&d game will be... Princess Bride :smallwink: Hm, maybe I can convince my wife to run it...

Oh, and Fred Savage would be Level 0 in the Princess Bride (Which 24 CP should more than handle). He get's his level increase in the Wizard :smalltongue:

Longcat
2010-01-11, 07:25 PM
Or we could force them to spend all eternity playing F.A.T.A.L 100% RAW, as female characters.

With DMPCs taking advantage of the players?

Well, at least the players still get to be in the spotlight.

Thurbane
2010-01-11, 07:51 PM
Apologies for steering the thread down this course...every time I see F.A.T.E. and FATAL in writing, I momentarily get confused as to which system is which! :smalleek:

Sewblon
2010-01-11, 07:54 PM
With DMPCs taking advantage of the players?

Well, at least the players still get to be in the spotlight. No. The DMPCs take advantage of NPCs, while the players watch.

Tyrrell
2010-01-11, 09:06 PM
Buttercup - definitely Commoner 1. Probably Int 10 and 4 ranks in Ride, 2 in Profession(farm girl), 1 in Handle Animal and 1 in Swim. Poor Wisdom and high Charisma.

10 is average int I see her as an 8, not a moron but unquestionably slow on the uptake.

Draz74
2010-01-11, 10:03 PM
10 is average int I see her as an 8, not a moron but unquestionably slow on the uptake.

Movie version is somewhere in the 8-10 range. Book version is somewhere in the 5-8 range.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-12, 02:34 AM
But then she won't have enough skill points without being higher level. And I can't see any reason why she'd be any higher than level 1. She never does anything worthwhile in the whole movie except get kidnapped and complain a lot.

I.E., she's not a PC, she's an NPC who is central to the plot. If the story continued after the ending where she's rescued, then she might become a PC and probably gain a level in a PC class as a result of the escape itself, but not for the duration of the actual story.

Telonius
2010-01-12, 05:59 AM
Vizzini clearly has 2 levels of Venomsmith (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89314). :smallbiggrin:

viking vince
2010-01-12, 12:59 PM
From a 1e perspective

Miracle Max is a cleric

Buttercup is a 0 level human

Rugan is an assassin

Fezzig is a fighter

Inigo is a duelist

Westley may be a fighter, a thief, a duelist or a bandit (class from Best of Dragon)

Vizzini may be a bard or a Sage

Humperdink is tough - perhaps bandit or perhaps 0 level human

Edit*
These opinions are movie based only, as I have not actuall read the book.