PDA

View Full Version : Divine Eldritch Knight + some Musing

Leon
2009-12-26, 06:04 AM
Is there a class that fits or should i petition the DMs to see if we can change it to suit.

Currently the PC is Archivist 5/ Barbarian 2 w/ 2 unchosen levels

Have been thinking about the drag of getting 3 levels of Wizard as to facilitate entry into the Geomancer PrC but i'd hate to lose the divine progression given the new DM has provided a source of all divine spells to advance from. (7 Levels and i was allowed 1 non cleric spell to learn... Huzzar for the New DM)

On that line, how would dropping the Arcane out of the Geomancer class go?
its primarily the Drift that im interested in for character reasons (the PC started as a Human, was reincarnated as a Half elf, became a Werewolf and in now back to being a Human and has suffered a number of magical related incidents relating to various happenings) the Levels of Barb are the legacy that the Wolf left (along with the temperamental attitude - went from LN to CN w/CE tendancies)
I can see the Drift being a slow decesnt back to the primal nature now that he can access Druidic magic much easier.

Optimystik
2009-12-26, 06:16 AM
By "Divine Eldritch Knight" do you mean a PrC that grants full (or near full) Divine casting along with full BAB? If that's the case, you can get that with any Divine PrC by using Divine Power.

As far as getting it "naturally," Ordained Champion has full BAB and only loses one caster level (just like EK) but only lasts 5 levels long. Sacred Fist gives full BAB and 10/10 casting (if your DM allows text to trump table) but might not fit your concept.

Leon
2009-12-26, 07:03 AM
By "Divine Eldritch Knight" do you mean a PrC that grants full (or near full) Divine casting along with full BAB? If that's the case, you can get that with any Divine PrC by using Divine Power.

As far as getting it "naturally," Ordained Champion has full BAB and only loses one caster level (just like EK) but only lasts 5 levels long. Sacred Fist gives full BAB and 10/10 casting (if your DM allows text to trump table) but might not fit your concept.

I'd Prefer naturally as while i do have the spell its not a all day solution.
I cant recall the Ordained Champion aside from it being war themed and needing domains (which i don't have))

I do like the Sacred Fist but i think it is a lil out of reach for this current PC (monk levels are a bit out of reach due to current Aline and the feats are somewhat off too unless i waited till much higher level)

ex cathedra
2009-12-26, 07:56 AM
If you have Five Nations, Bone Knight is fantastic. 9/10 Casting and only 7/10 BAB, but the class abilities are sickeningly good.

I rather happen to like Ordained Champion, as well.

Finally, there's the Ruby Knight Vindicator in ToB.

Darrin
2009-12-26, 10:49 AM
Knight of the Raven (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) may be pretty close to what you're looking for. Full BAB, 9/10 casting.

The only other Full BAB + Full CL PrCs I can think of are Sacred Fist (CDiv) and Windwalker (Faiths & Pantheons).

Eldariel
2009-12-26, 08:38 PM
Fist of Raziel [BoED] is also 9/10 casting & full BAB.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-26, 08:51 PM
Finally, there's the Ruby Knight Vindicator in ToB.

Plus, this has the bonus of letting you burn Turn attempts for Swift actions, if you have 'em to spare.

Leon
2009-12-26, 11:33 PM
Funny what you find when you go looking...
I started a thread just like this a lil while ago with basically the same results

So aside from the flurry of suggestions for PrCs (most while good i cant enter for varying reasons due to preq's)
What do people think of stripping the arcane out of geomancer to leave the core spell spell progression and Drift

UserClone
2009-12-27, 12:11 AM
Well, Leon. It matters more what your DM thinks of that idea.

Now you know, and knowing's half the battle.:smallwink:

Leon
2009-12-27, 12:35 AM
and i wont know for a while since he is on holidays

Thurbane
2009-12-27, 01:18 AM
Knight of the Raven (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) may be pretty close to what you're looking for. Full BAB, 9/10 casting.

The only other Full BAB + Full CL PrCs I can think of are Sacred Fist (CDiv) and Windwalker (Faiths & Pantheons).
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102447) may be useful.

ex cathedra
2009-12-27, 02:12 AM
Windwalker, Knight of the Raven, Ruby Knight Vindicator, and Ordained Champion are all very powerful and have Full BAB.

Fist of Raziel, Prestige Paladin, Sacred Fist, and Bone Knight all have their uses, but weren't included in the top list for various reasons. Prestige Paladin, Battle Blessing, and Ruby Knight Vindicator work very well together, and Bone Knight is perfect aside from the 3/4 BAB. Fist of Raziel, in my opinion, puts too much focus into single smites. Sacred Fist is popularly used in combination with Ur-Priest and Duskblade.

Leon
2009-12-27, 06:38 AM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102447) may be useful.

That thread was, i now have a idea on what a KotR is rather than just a name people keep suggesting

Thurbane
2009-12-27, 08:43 AM
That thread was, i now have a idea on what a KotR is rather than just a name people keep suggesting
Knight of the Raven (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5657589&postcount=11)

Leon
2009-12-27, 10:06 AM
Knight of the Raven (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5657589&postcount=11)

Yep, already saved for future reference

looks good apart from the "any good" alignment... my PC is on the lower side of CN most of the time

is the raven ability a pet or what?

Eldariel
2009-12-27, 10:19 AM

The Raven is sort of a familiar/AC. Closer to Familiar, really. It has few more combat abilities than standard Familiars, but it follows some of the same rules as Familiar (HP = half yours, your HD); otherwise it's a standard Celestial Raven.

And honestly, for non-Goods, Bone Knight [5 Nations] is a very good option. Of course, refluffing works too.

Thurbane
2009-12-27, 10:45 AM
The Raven is sort of a familiar/AC. Closer to Familiar, really. It has few more combat abilities than standard Familiars, but it follows some of the same rules as Familiar (HP = half yours, your HD); otherwise it's a standard Celestial Raven.
Also, if it dies, you get a replacement automatically next dawn, without penalty.

Darrin
2009-12-27, 11:20 AM

More of an annoyance or a monster snack 1/day. Could also work as a Benalish Hero, trap finder, poison tester, etc. It doesn't get your skill ranks like a normal familiar, but can aid another if need be.

ericgrau
2009-12-27, 11:54 AM
I'd Prefer naturally as while i do have the spell [divine power] its not a all day solution.

Which is exactly why a straight-up divine eldritch knight would be difficult to balance. You no longer have a scaling drawback to mitigate. You just overwhelm the drawback at a certain level and get better and better after that. You eventually become strictly better than a pure cleric, at least in melee. Cleric synergizes too well with melee to give it gish treatment.

But I could see a homebrew houserule or feat or PrC that would allow paladin casting to stack with cleric casting. Each level you pick full BAB and half casting OR 3/4 BAB and full casting.

Aldizog
2009-12-27, 12:54 PM
But I could see a homebrew houserule or feat or PrC that would allow paladin casting to stack with cleric casting. Each level you pick full BAB and half casting OR 3/4 BAB and full casting.
Prestige Paladin is Full BAB and half casting (cleric list, plus paladin-only spells at their level), plus Paladin abilities.
Clr4/Ftr1/Pal15 has BAB +19, casts as a 12th-level cleric, turns undead as a 19th-level cleric, and has the paladin abilities (wth Lay on Hands and Special Mount as if an 18th-level paladin).
I don't see why you'd have a PrC give 3/4 BAB and full casting, when that's what you gain for taking more levels in cleric.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-27, 09:25 PM
Prestige Paladin is Full BAB and half casting (cleric list, plus paladin-only spells at their level), plus Paladin abilities.
Clr4/Ftr1/Pal15 has BAB +19, casts as a 12th-level cleric, turns undead as a 19th-level cleric, and has the paladin abilities (wth Lay on Hands and Special Mount as if an 18th-level paladin).
I don't see why you'd have a PrC give 3/4 BAB and full casting, when that's what you gain for taking more levels in cleric.if you go this way, Serenity(Dragon Mag, bases Paladin abilities off Wis instead of Cha) is great. Battle Blessing is godlike, but at that point you're basically making the IotSV cry.

UserClone
2009-12-27, 09:49 PM
In the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, you can find a Cleric variant called (IIRC) Holy Warrior, in which you give up all access to domains, your extra domain slots, and domain powers for full BAB and a d10 HD.

Copied from my accidental necrothreadomancy in the other linked thread.

Pluto
2009-12-28, 10:55 PM
Sanctified Mind from Lords of Madness is 6 levels long.
It gives 6/6 BA, 5/6 casting, a Wisdom-based smite, some nifty defenses that I can't remember at the moment (the ability to reduce Mind Control effects, turning the Dazed effect into just a Slowed effect, some other things).

Abjurant Champion lists a Divine conversion in its Adaptions section, if you pay attention to that sort of thing.

Hexer from Masters of the Wild gives full casting and 10/10 BA.
It requires some sort of vaguely monstrous race and Lightning Bolt as a Divine Spell (via Extra Spell, Customize Domain or some other zany hijinks... Greater Anyspell might work). The class is kind of ridiculous (on top of the extraordinarily powerful base, it gives a Curse that put's the Hexblade's to shame and gives you 5 spells known from the Sorcerer spell list).

Hospitaler in Complete Divine is 7/10 casting (Fighter feats at the other 3 levels) with full BA. Not typically the best choice, but it can work out fairly well.

Eldritch Knight could just be switched over to a Divine class. It loses so much from straight Cleric that it could probably use a boost if it's supposed to be balanced with straightclassing the Cleric (it loses one important save, a caster level, HP, Turning and Domain advancement in exchange for 2.5 BA in a Divine Power-casting class).

edit:
And Geomancer without the Arcane casting?
I don't remember the exact benefits of Drift, but doesn't it offer things like extraordinary flight and burrow speeds, 6-ish natural weapons, spell resistance and the like? I'd require it to lose at least one caster level, possibly two.