PDA

View Full Version : Favorite times you've been mentioned?

Pocketa
2009-12-26, 03:12 PM
Seems sorta like a strange thread title, sorry.

But what's you're favorite time you've ever been mentioned?

Mine is a toss-up between a book dedication to me, being mentioned in a speech as a restorer in the faith in the youth of today, or having a 3oh!3 song written/dedicated to me.

Jimorian
2009-12-26, 03:38 PM
Dedication in a novel. And while my published story didn't make it into "Year's Best Science Fiction", the editor mentioned my name favorably in his summary of the anthology it was in.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-26, 03:42 PM
Um... wow... thanks for reminding me that I'm insignificant enough that I've never actually been 'mentioned', except maybe in casual conversation.:smalltongue:

Solaris
2009-12-26, 03:56 PM
The quote is in my siggie. Oh yes.

Setra
2009-12-26, 03:59 PM
I've had a couple girlfriends who I just liked hearing them say my name, that's probably about it :smalltongue:

Swordgleam
2009-12-26, 04:08 PM
There was a review of Azagar's Book of Rituals where the reviewer quoted four rituals that were his favourites. I got excited when I noticed the first one was mine, and then my jaw nearly dropped when I realized the third was mine, as well. That was really exciting, since that book is the first time anything of mine has been published (I wrote 9 rituals out of the ~300).

Tirian
2009-12-26, 04:37 PM
I once egosurfed on Wikipedia and found that someone created an article for a game that I had invented in college. Unfortunately, it got deleted for not being sufficiently notable, but that was a good charge all the same.

golentan
2009-12-26, 04:39 PM
"To this day, nobody knows what the radar phenomena dubbed 'pixies' were."

13_CBS
2009-12-26, 04:58 PM
I think most of us have yet to enjoy the pleasure of being significant. I certainly haven't. :smallfrown:

Corlindale
2009-12-26, 05:50 PM
The Credits section in the Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword manual, for being on the Fall from Heaven mod team.

(Because of a text formatting error, it sort of looks like I'm mentioned under "lead singers", which is just an added bonus:smallsmile:)

Darius Midnite
2009-12-26, 06:36 PM
Well aside from constantly being compared with Johnny Depp in conversation, I played in a school musical not long ago with such a fantastic performance that even to this day people still salute me.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-26, 07:32 PM
I don't think this really compares to Pocky's, but I get a pretty big ego boost out of producing/mixing people's music...

KuReshtin
2009-12-26, 07:45 PM
I was once quoted by Gregg Easterbrook, who writes the TMQ (Tuesday Morning Quarterback) on ESPN's website. He usually has a 'Reader Animadversion' section where the readers get to contribute, and he once asked people to submit the descriptions of the Football Gods, and he included one of my Gods in his list (well, actually two, but one was more of an oversight).

Christian Olsson of Largs, Scotland -- who says he is the only Swedish-born American-rules football player in Scotland -- proposes Nortia, goddess of quarterbacks. "She is depicted as a vain young woman always with a mirror close at hand," Olsson writes. "Nortia is popular because of her beauty, and does not like to admit she depends on her brother Bardok, god of offensive lines. Bardok is a forgotten god with few followers."
And no, I don't have any qualms about posting my name on here.
Searching for the quote, I found that it'd been qouted as the favourite entry of the list of proposed Football Gods by some blogger as well. I'm well proud of that. Even if it was more than five years ago, and I just now found it.:smallcool:

The Extinguisher
2009-12-26, 07:57 PM
I do remember my junior high drama teacher singing my praises to his students when I dropped in there once. That's about it.

Oh yeah, also I think my friend is going to write a song about me for his band. Which isn't a big deal, because his band is literally about one person in particular.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-26, 08:29 PM
My teacher once told her class to ask me for help when writing narratives, that's about it

Dragonrider
2009-12-26, 08:32 PM
While it's not published yet, my mum's best friend says that I will be mentioned in the finale of her (not insignificant) trilogy, slated to come out 2010, because I flew to her house and entertained her handful of a two-year-old for three weeks while she finished the first draft. I won't tell you what the novel is (nyah :smallbiggrin:) but it's the kind that you might not have heard of, but if you have, I wouldn't be surprised.

Pyrian
2009-12-26, 08:38 PM
...Bardok, god of offensive lines.That deity sounds SO much better out of context. :smallbiggrin:

Trog
2009-12-27, 12:47 AM
*stopped while walking the halls of my youngest son's school by some kid*

Kid: Hey! Are you *my son's name*'s dad?

Me: Yes. :smallconfused:

Kid: I thought so. You're cool. *walks away*

That still makes me giggle. :smallbiggrin:

Phae Nymna
2009-12-27, 12:59 AM
Every kid grade 2-6 (at my school) knows me as "Horton" from a school production of Seussical.

Also, a surprising number (at least 30) of people have stopped me in the street (total strangers) and have said, "Oh my god, were you Horton? You were great!" or, "Excuse me, did you play Horton? My son or daughter loved your performance!"

Despite my general aversion to young children, this makes me really happy.

Also, singing at a cocktail party / auction which serves as my school's largest fundraising event, to be later thanked by the administration along with the other singers at a school assembly as well as a letter from the head of school.

Kjata
2009-12-27, 02:43 AM
having a 3oh!3 song written/dedicated to me.

What? Which one?

rayne_dragon
2009-12-27, 03:02 AM
I'm not sure if this counts, but I have a walkthrough for Eschalon Book I poted on gamefaqs and numerous other sites. Other than that, I'm fairly anonymous - and prefer it that way.

Felixaar
2009-12-27, 04:53 AM
While it's not published yet, my mum's best friend says that I will be mentioned in the finale of her (not insignificant) trilogy, slated to come out 2010, because I flew to her house and entertained her handful of a two-year-old for three weeks while she finished the first draft. I won't tell you what the novel is (nyah :smallbiggrin:) but it's the kind that you might not have heard of, but if you have, I wouldn't be surprised.

Ooooh, so cryptic! If I didn't already know, I'd hound for for the answer.

That's right, kiddos. I know the goods and the bidding starts at ten grand.

And as for me? Well, there was a two page article on me in the company newsletter, I was once in the paper for being a random traveller, and people often warn Australians who join the playground to look out for me in case of glomping.

Oh, and my cameo in one of DR's novels. That was glorious :smallbiggrin:

In general I just love it when people mention me outside of my own initiative - it's nice to know people occasionally think of me.

Lioness
2009-12-27, 05:28 AM
I had a newspaper journalist ring me up and interview me about dancing, and then publish an article in the newspaper, in which she twisted my words completely.

bosssmiley
2009-12-27, 10:08 AM
@^: Yeah, they do that.

I was once the subject of an injoke/easter egg in an RPG book.

Lupy
2009-12-27, 01:21 PM
A friend used me as an example to explain how LG people and TN people can be friends. :smallbiggrin:

Krade
2009-12-27, 01:23 PM
Favorite time I've been mentioned... that would probably be from these boards on the last SE Trogland Meet-up thread after the meet-up was over. It always makes me smile when someone remembers me enough to post something specifically about me...

*coughmonstermanualcharadescough* (http://www.youtube.com/user/maskedllama#p/u/4/0mvz0yG1MXc)

Edit: If you think it looks like I'm crying, then you're not far from the mark. Everyday I thank any diety that might listen for not giving Indurain that particular monster for his charade. That would have been... uncomfortable. For EVERYONE (except, maybe Indurain).

ghost_warlock
2009-12-27, 01:40 PM
When I went to prom my junior year of high school one of the seniors gave a speech likening each of the attending juniors to a character from a movie. I was Hannibal Lecter.

Otherwise, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5657610) is pretty boss. :smallredface:

Quincunx
2009-12-27, 02:55 PM
My neato necro gnomie girl's been immortalized in a quest line in EverQuest and coming back to find that, after a year of being offline, was just strange. Much better just to watch Minta-isms filtering into the general populace without their being conscious of it--most of the time. :smallbiggrin:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/Quincunx_GitP/Screenies/dauredhelmintad.jpg

Eldan
2009-12-27, 03:01 PM
Well, the only time I can remember was in the upgrade for "Desire and the Dead", the Planewalker fan adventure... I was mentioned as an "artist" for doing a quick and horrible sketch of a monster, and as a playtester for running the beta with my group.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-27, 03:28 PM
Oh, and a friend and I are on our FOURTH attempt to make a webcomic successfully.

1. Toucan Alchemy - It was really bad. REALLY bad.
2. Time Warp Jubilee - Better. It had Nikola Tesla in a time machine.
3. Untitled - Not title, involved Syd Barrett in a time machine.

We had a bit of notoriety for Toucan Alchemy, and we put the first dregs of TWJ on the Arts & Crafts forum.

Now, #4 is so far untitled, but our most thought out and complex work so far. In our pair, he writes and I illustrate, this time by hand. Not to give to much away, but, our two largest plot elements are Zombies & Zeppelins.

When we get it off the ground (lol, zeppelin jokez) it will be posted in the Arts & Crafts forum for sure.

Rutskarn
2009-12-27, 09:56 PM
I'm due a mention in the acknowledgments of one upcoming novel. All the times my site has been linked off of Twenty Sided are gratifying, as well as random quotations and sigg'd lines on this site.

starwoof
2009-12-27, 10:00 PM
I've won several school awards over the years for being an excellent visual communicator. All of those times were pretty neat.

Also once I was mentioned a few times in the "playgrounder's you appreciate" thread from a few years back. Those were neat too.

Otherwise I'm not especially significant.:smalltongue:

Lioness
2009-12-28, 03:20 AM
Oh, yeah. And my boyfriend promised that if he ever gets his novel(s) published, he's gonna mention me. I pretty much read his entire first draft, the day after he typed each bit.

Tawmis
2009-12-28, 11:33 AM
Toss up. Either when we were mentioned in an interview on the Bioware website (http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?forum=41&topic=444854) (we had previously been interviewed by Bioware) or the small mention in the Machinima for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/Machinima-Dummies-Computer-Tech/dp/0470096918) book.

EDIT - Oh! Or for the appearance WAY back in the day (this one just jogged in my memory!) - in the SIERRA INTERACTION magazine as Larry Laffer. (For that I am NOT posting a picture!) :smalltongue:

Viera Champion
2009-12-28, 11:45 AM
Um... wow... thanks for reminding me that I'm insignificant enough that I've never actually been 'mentioned', except maybe in casual conversation.:smalltongue:

Oooo! Can I sig this.

Tawmis
2009-12-28, 12:04 PM
Oooo! Can I sig this.

At least then he would have been mentioned! :smallbiggrin:

Adlan
2009-12-28, 12:11 PM
Being published by Gamesworkshop is probably the most public one.

But favourite, probably my notoriety on ZombieSquad as an Archer.

Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I"m not sure I'd [mess] with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Ikialev
2009-12-28, 12:24 PM
I was mentioned in the "this book couldn't be written without help from:" part of book. ^^

Extra_Crispy
2009-12-29, 05:30 AM
Lets see, think these count. Way back in 8th grade I was pictured and named in the local newspaper. We were having a renaissance festival and during the play I played the dragon, the picture had me being stabbed by the hero and me clawing him. I had to be the dragon I was just under 6 foot tall, much bigger than anyone else.

I was in the newspaper and on the T.V. News when I had my car accident. And 2 months after it there was a specail about surviving burns on the local public station in which me and my father were shown and I talked some.

BisectedBrioche
2009-12-29, 06:06 AM
Once I managed to get a hint printed in the games magazine CUBE before it's publisher went defunct.

loopy
2009-12-29, 06:14 AM
Back when I worked for Good Game, I got quite a kick out of seeing my name in the credits every week. :smallsmile:

skywalker
2009-12-29, 06:52 AM
Can't remember any times I've been mentioned. Which is kinda a shame, really. I think there were some really good ones in there somewhere.

Maybe later I will remember better.