PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep yourself from going insane over packages?

Gamerlord
2009-12-26, 03:14 PM
How do you manage to deal with those online orders that take foooooooooooreeeeeveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr(At least in your mind), and avoid going insane? It always happens to me, I order a new game, and I go crazy as it takes week after week to come. I always check the website shipping tracker, hoping that it has shipped, constantly hitting the refresher button over and over and over again!

I just ordered some games from amazon, and I already am going a little crazy. :smalleek:

Solaris
2009-12-26, 03:22 PM
Other hobbies. I find my packages arrive too soon.

Setra
2009-12-26, 03:29 PM
I just forget about them until they arrive... Thanks for reminding me I have some on the way :smallmad::smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2009-12-26, 03:29 PM
Go insane; that way when you go insane you'll go insane insane which cancels out to normal.

Gamerlord
2009-12-26, 03:34 PM
I just forget about them until they arrive... Thanks for reminding me I have some on the way :smallmad::smalltongue:

But I CAN'T forget about them, I have tried, their friggin demo icons are on my desktop!

Solaris
2009-12-26, 03:52 PM
But I CAN'T forget about them, I have tried, their friggin demo icons are on my desktop!

Delete the icons.
Or even better, don't go on the computer. Muwahahaa.

Gamerlord
2009-12-26, 03:54 PM
Delete the icons.
Or even better, don't go on the computer. Muwahahaa.

Must....use...computer.....

Even if I did delete the icons, the internet keeps drawing me to websites relating to the video games!

Ozreth
2009-12-26, 04:02 PM
I never order games (or most other things) online, why would you? Why pay and wait a week when you could drive to the store and have them upon payment (maybe for a few extra bucks). Its worth it.

Out of curiosity, what games did you order?

Gamerlord
2009-12-26, 04:03 PM
I never order games (or most other things) online, why would you? Why pay and wait a week when you could drive to the store and have them upon payment (maybe for a few extra bucks). Its worth it.

Out of curiosity, what games did you order?
Because I am a cheap little demon, I like cheap amazon stuff.

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga
Star Wars Jedi Knight:Jedi Academy

Swordgleam
2009-12-26, 04:06 PM
As soon as I do something I'm excited about that will take time to come through, I try to forget about it. This goes the same for online orders, school stuff I think I did well on, and job applications. That way, it's always exciting when you finally get what you were hoping for (or, in the case of job apps, by the time they reject you, you don't care anymore).

Pyrian
2009-12-26, 04:31 PM
These days, I mostly buy games on Steam. :smallcool: Download takes a bit, sure, but compared to driving to the store, finding and buying the game, bringing it home, installing it, and then installing the patches, I find Steam is actually (A) sometimes outright faster and (B) sure as heck takes a lot less of my time.

Bouregard
2009-12-26, 05:52 PM
As I order most things straight from the USA (German laws& really cheap dollar > 16€ delivery fees) it usually takes up to 3 weeks... So yes I have to wait, but no I don't snap because usually I order it weeks in advance. So when i actually want to play it it's right in front of me waiting to be installed.

PersonMan
2009-12-26, 06:37 PM
As I order most things straight from the USA (German laws& really cheap dollar > 16€ delivery fees) it usually takes up to 3 weeks... So yes I have to wait, but no I don't snap because usually I order it weeks in advance. So when i actually want to play it it's right in front of me waiting to be installed.

...But how do you know what to order? Do you keep a calendar with the dates of when you'll want to play games on it?

I second the whole "Forget about the orders" thing, which is pretty easy for me.

Gamerlord
2009-12-26, 07:00 PM
I second the whole "Forget about the orders" thing, which is pretty easy for me.

It isn't for me :smalleek: .

valadil
2009-12-26, 10:25 PM

You save more than a few bucks. I haven't spent more than $20 on a video game and $4 on a book or CD in the last year. There are very few games that I want to play so desperately that I couldn't wait 6 months to save 40 bucks.

When stuff is ordered I don't freak out because nothing I do will bring the package closer to delivery. I might care more if I could affect it. Of course I'm patient to begin with (as demonstrated by waiting till 6 months after a games out) so another couple weeks isn't that big of a deal.

Gamerlord
2009-12-27, 06:47 AM
You save more than a few bucks. I haven't spent more than $20 on a video game and $4 on a book or CD in the last year. There are very few games that I want to play so desperately that I couldn't wait 6 months to save 40 bucks.

Seconded, on amazon a 4e core book costs $23 IIRC, in a book store it cost $35. Also,I have no patience whatsoever.

2009-12-27, 07:04 AM
. Also,I have no patience whatsoever.

so maybe fix that?
learn good distractions, vary your hobbies, meditate, stand on your head, get some exercise, sleep a lot. it really helps.

if that doesnt work try hating video games by remembering that they arent going to be that great. theyre probably all unoriginal uninspired crap hyped up by whores(and i mean no disrespect to those unfortunate enough to end up in the sex industry with this word.) calling themselves journalists employed by soulless corporations who have forgotten that theyre supposed to be making art and doing good for their customers. there. does that kill your enthusiasm? also remember that if theyre PC titles the DRM is probably quite nasty and may (or may not) kill your computer. day 1 DLC too. and maybe a sequel with a story they had already written, assuming there even is a story, and the EXACT same engine that they could have easily included in the original game but are going to make you pay full price for-AGAIN. okay if that doesnt break you of it i dont know what will.
now excuse me i have to go shoot at skeletons with a shotgun for (as far as i can tell) no reason. does my chracter have some sort of grudge against the undead or is shooting them just as fun in real life as it is on a computer screen? both? who knows.

Gamerlord
2009-12-27, 07:13 AM
They are old games, no DRM or DLC whatsoever :smallsmile: .

Also, yeah, I REALLY hate the fact that the reviewing business is so corrupt :smallfurious: .

Setra
2009-12-27, 07:22 AM
So, are they in yet? :smalltongue:

JGoldenberg
2009-12-27, 07:23 AM
I know exactly how you feel, I've been waiting for my Zelda Replica Ocarina for a week now, estimated delivery 1-3 weeks. I will snap if it gets near 2!

Setra
2009-12-27, 07:26 AM
I find that there are two solutions to most of Lifes problems. In this case, both

1. Molotov Cocktail, you'll be on fire and not have time to think about the packages.

2. Sleep deprivation, you'll be too tired to think about the packages, especially once the hallucinations start.

:smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2009-12-27, 07:27 AM

They won't be till early next month.

Coidzor
2009-12-27, 01:15 PM
I read lets plays myself. The more comedic the better.

Gamerlord
2009-12-27, 01:28 PM
I read lets plays myself. The more comedic the better.

I read boatmurdered twice, and a bunch of other lets play, I am running out of lets plays to read that are interesting!

I have also:
Read the entire OOTS archive
Decided to see if sluggy freelance is any good
Read all of irregular webcomic

Coidzor
2009-12-27, 01:41 PM
Decided to see if sluggy freelance is any good

The answer, of course, being Yes.

Have you gone through Girl Genius yet?

Have you tried watching DBZ Abridged or another abridged fan-pardoy series?

This sequence should entertain you unless you've seen it before. And even then there's a possibility it should still entertain you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fJQIrlAm8)

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-27, 04:30 PM
I just don't buy stuff on the internet...

Gamerlord
2009-12-27, 05:43 PM
The answer, of course, being Yes.

Have you gone through Girl Genius yet?

Have you tried watching DBZ Abridged or another abridged fan-pardoy series?

This sequence should entertain you unless you've seen it before. And even then there's a possibility it should still entertain you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fJQIrlAm8)

What is Girl Genius?

And I have heard of the abridged series, what would you rate them (i.e R, PG-13?) Cause I don't want to put on something rated-R on my computer when my younger sisters are still around. Does it have a subtitle option?

Trixie
2009-12-27, 06:06 PM
For OP - simply. Move to country where ordering online is not an option.

Like this one. :smallsigh:

These days, I mostly buy games on Steam. :smallcool: Download takes a bit, sure, but compared to driving to the store, finding and buying the game, bringing it home, installing it, and then installing the patches, I find Steam is actually (A) sometimes outright faster and (B) sure as heck takes a lot less of my time.

And when the company goes under/is hacked/ddosed/blocked, you'll find all your money suddenly evaporated.

Plus, there are a lot of reasons to dislike their "licence" thing going on.

Pyrian
2009-12-27, 06:19 PM
And when the company goes under/is hacked/ddosed/blocked, you'll find all your money suddenly evaporated.Maybe, but probably not, and no more likely than any other game in my collection. I can still play Adventure, but not on the Atari I got it for!

Gamerlord
2009-12-27, 06:23 PM
For OP - simply. Move to country where ordering online is not an option.

Like this one. :smallsigh:

Sorry, but I like the USA. :smallannoyed:

Coidzor
2009-12-27, 06:45 PM
What is Girl Genius?

And I have heard of the abridged series, what would you rate them (i.e R, PG-13?) Cause I don't want to put on something rated-R on my computer when my younger sisters are still around. Does it have a subtitle option?

Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk)Genius (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/) Start (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104)

Roughly PG-13 with occasional bursts of being the internet. youtubery and such. (http://www.tfsabridged.com/)

Felixaar
2009-12-28, 04:42 AM
And here I thought this was going to be a thread about compensation.

Solaris
2009-12-28, 05:51 AM

... I admit, I was kinda hoping you'd be repeating this post every time someone else posted.

I'm waiting on a massive hoard of minis for Warhammer. Most of them are sitting in the battalion mail room right now... and if they're not, I'm going postal on the mailman. I still won't be able to pick 'em up for three weeks (I told the mail guy to hold my packages until I get back). I know the feeling.

Setra
2009-12-28, 08:45 AM
I hope my game comes in today.. I just beat the one I've been playing..

Well time to go distract myself til the mail comes in.

Gamerlord
2009-12-28, 02:13 PM
I have:
*Done a 100-piece puzzle that was rather simple THRICE.
*A bunch of not-too-important things.

Quincunx
2009-12-28, 02:35 PM
[Period of 65% off sale][Period covered by gift certificate]

Note the lack of overlap. Methinks I'll go sit in the Impatient-pants Corner as well.
Mainly because those sales were destined to be sewn into pants.

Gamerlord
2009-12-28, 04:24 PM
Hooray, according to amazon,one of the video games should be coming within 7 days!

Gamerlord
2009-12-30, 11:46 AM
ONE OF THEM CAME! IT CAME! IT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Should be enough to distract me till the next game comes!