PDA

View Full Version : Booze!

Setra
2009-12-26, 04:19 PM
So this year is gonna be the first new years I can drink legally, so naturally I'm going to stockpile up on drinks.

What does the playground recommend?

Pyrian
2009-12-26, 04:33 PM
Blackberry Mead (http://honeywoodwinery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=101). :smallcool:

Corlindale
2009-12-26, 05:52 PM
White Russians are great, and tend to taste well even for alcohol-"novices". But be careful, they are deceptively potent:smallwink:

Irish Coffee is another favourite of mine, good if you're already a coffee-drinker. Just make sure you never get drunk entirely on Irish Coffee - I made that mistake one night, and I didn't sleep for hours:smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-26, 06:04 PM
Seconding Pyrian on mead.

I recommend Piraten Blut and Vikinger Blut if you've got a sweet tooth.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-12-26, 06:07 PM
I gave a friend of mine beer, wine, and an assortment of spirits. He recoiled in disgust. I gave him Bailey's Irish Cream with milk, and he observed that it tasted like lollies.

loopy
2009-12-26, 06:07 PM
Everyone needs to get trashed on Jager Bombs at least once in their life. :smallamused:

One shot of Jagermeister dropped into a cup of redbull. Then scull. Repeat until the bottle is gone. :smallbiggrin:

Lioness
2009-12-26, 06:10 PM
I gave a friend of mine beer, wine, and an assortment of spirits. He recoiled in disgust. I gave him Bailey's Irish Cream with milk, and he observed that it tasted like lollies.

Bailey's is good. I'm not legally allowed to drink it yet, but when I am, it's what I'll be drinking.

golentan
2009-12-26, 06:29 PM
I like hard ciders, personally. Especially if you mull them.

Darius Midnite
2009-12-26, 06:32 PM
Fine whiskey, my friend, there is nothing better. Though Gin & Tonic is also a swell drink. :smallwink:

Lord Herman
2009-12-26, 06:37 PM
Indeed. My favourite whiskeys are Irish, but Scotch is fine too. I drink it straight, with a drop of water to bring out the flavour. My advice is to always drink whiskey from a proper glass, not from a shot glass or, gods forbid, directly from the bottle. You need to be able to smell the whiskey to fully appreciate it.

Darius Midnite
2009-12-26, 06:43 PM
True. I myself enjoy the more smokey scotchs. Also when drinking scotch I use cooled stones instead of ice cubes so that it doesn't get watered down.

Kaelaroth
2009-12-26, 06:49 PM
What's that?

Oh, yes!

It's Pimm's o'clock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimms)! :smallwink:

I don't know what country you're in, so I can't be of more help (I tend to like brands of drink, rather than catch-all boozes).

The Extinguisher
2009-12-26, 06:53 PM
I've been enjoying white rum far to much then I should*

*this is a lie because you can never have too much rum

zql
2009-12-26, 06:55 PM
Since you northerners are in winter I must recommend tequila. Otherwise, mi second favorite drink: caipirinha! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha) But I don't ussually prepare it when it's cold.

KuReshtin
2009-12-26, 07:33 PM
I drink it straight, with a drop of water to bring out the flavour.

By definition, that would render it not 'straight', however, it is mostly the preferred way to enjoy a whisky.

My advice is to always drink whiskey from a proper glass, not from a shot glass or, gods forbid, directly from the bottle. You need to be able to smell the whiskey to fully appreciate it.

This is very true. One should NEVER drink shots of whisky (it's a dram, not a shot), and one should NEVER drink it straight from the bottle.

thorgrim29
2009-12-26, 07:34 PM
Beer, lots of it. For stronger beginner stuff Bayleys with chocolate milk is pretty much the mildest thing, followed by non doubled rum and cokes, vodka orange, southern comfort sprites et al.

To get feel warm I recommend Chartreuse.

And Jagerbombs are pure evil, drink your Jager straight (and properly chilled) or with 1/3 Goldshlagger added

Froogleyboy
2009-12-26, 08:08 PM
Baileys mmm creamy are pretty good, I like martinis. Oh, and Eggnog!

golentan
2009-12-26, 08:09 PM
Baileys mmm creamy are pretty good, I like martinis. Oh, and Eggnog!

Aren't you a minor?

Swordgleam
2009-12-26, 08:15 PM
Try a mudslide. I believe they're similar to white russians. I don't drink much, and I still find them tasty - so does everyone else I know.

As for beer, Blue Moon is great. Anything belgian is usually pretty good.

The Demented One
2009-12-26, 08:18 PM
Limoncello. It's like drinking the distilled essence of desert and wonderful.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-26, 08:19 PM
Aren't you a minor?

Yup, I'm 15

Krade
2009-12-26, 08:55 PM
I feel like some kind of blubbering fool now that so many people have said that you should never drink whiskey from a bottle... Oh well, feeling like a blubbering fool never stopped me from doing anything before:smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2009-12-26, 09:03 PM
Cream and rum. Yum!

Why are Jagerbombs the urine of a demon? Because you will drink a bunch of them and become nicely sauced and merry: but at the end of the night when you're ready to cash out, the stimulation will still be going strong and you will remain awake, foregoing the mercy of being unconscious during the pain that starting to sober up brings. There's a good reason you're meant to sleep through that agony.

Just don't get out of control with anything, because the sense-memory of the first drink that made you throw up will stay with you the rest of your life.

truemane
2009-12-26, 09:12 PM
Just don't get out of control with anything, because the sense-memory of the first drink that made you throw up will stay with you the rest of your life.

True story. To this day I can't abide even the merest smell of rum. I don't drink anyway, and usually a wee bit of Scotch ("Just to be sociable" as my mum used to say) is what I have on the twice or thrice-yearly occasions when I do imbibe, but still, one BAD night back in uni and I've been turned off of rum forever.

raitalin
2009-12-26, 09:17 PM
Agreed, Jagerbombs are a trap. One of only two times I've blacked out was from drinking Jagerbombs, and the other time was due to a whole fifth of Jack Daniels.

Personally, I keep it fairly simple. Spiced Rum (Sailor Jerry FTW) and Coke, or Jack Daniels and Root beer (tastes like Brachs root beer barrels!). As I get older though, I generally stick to beer, as I feel better the next day. You can find many interesting suggestions for beer in my Beer! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135781) thread

thorgrim29
2009-12-26, 09:27 PM
Weirdly enough, I never stopped drinking what made me hurl the first time, tough that's probably because I mix a lot of stuff in an evening.

opheliagonemad
2009-12-26, 10:51 PM
Try a little bit of everything. If you can get the tiny, tiny single shot bottles, they're a good place to try something and see if it's worth spending money on a larger bottle--it sucks to spend $30 bucks on, say, a bottle of ginger vodka only to discover that you think the stuff is foul. Especially for liqueurs, but even for things like whiskey or tequilas or rums. That's how I discovered my love of flavored vodkas.

I have to second the recommendation of chartreuse. It can be a bit of an acquired taste as it's an odd mix of a lot of flavors, mainly herbal/sweet, but after 5 years of spending Fat Tuesday marching the French Quarter with a bunch of miscreants who dress in mainly green and take shots of the stuff (and eat chartreuse chocolates), I have found myself actually really enjoying it. And I find new flavors in it every time I drink it (other than just burn-y and herbal).

Finally--if you are going to drink, it's worth actually spending money on decent booze. Sure, there are some things that are cheap, tasty, and potent, but for a lot of alcoholic beverages (ie vodka, my favorite vice), spending a little bit more is worth it. Especially as cheap vodka tastes a bit like hairspray to me. Not to mention that it does give you some sort of controlling mechanism on your drinking because getting blacked-out toasted will cost a lot more. Especially once you develop a tolerance. If you do develop one, that is-I still haven't, even after a decade.

Oh and my other tried and true method of finding new drinks is letting a bartender experiment or suggest things--on a slow night only, and make sure you tip them very, very well for their trouble.

SDF
2009-12-26, 11:24 PM
I'm a big believer in top shelf Scotch. A gentleman's drink. Glenlivet, or my favorite Oban. Runs around $100 a bottle.

On the cheap, vodka and tonic, long islands, rum and coke, all very good. If you live near a vineyard, wine tastings are well worth it to find what you like.

Coidzor
2009-12-26, 11:52 PM
You need to be able to smell the whiskey to fully appreciate it.

+1 to that. That's part of the reason why we love bourbon so much despite not really having the mouth for it yet.

The aromatic qualities are just... exquisite.

We like a nice hard cider for ourselves when drinking in company, finding it preferable to most beers and of a comparable nature, packaging, and role in social drinking. We haven't had mulled hard cider before, but it seems like it'd be a nice treat to try. For that matter, mulled wine probably wouldn't be too bad either.

Elderberry, Blackberry, and Plum wines are our favorite fruit-based beverages though. Especially plum wine, though that might just be because a plum wine was the first wine we had that we could stand...

White Russians are great, and we always love Kahlua for something to sip on with a little bit of cream or milk, but that might be our status as lactophiles speaking.

A word of caution with galliano, absinthe, and other bitters and italian-related concoctions, several of them have enough of an anise flavor to them as to be able to numb the tongue if they're used more than their proportion or allowed to linger on a tongue unused to them.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-27, 12:42 AM

I disagree. Or at least, that didn't happen with me. Mostly because the very first time I threw up from alcohol, I didn't remember it in the morning, and the only reason I know is because my friends are terrible people and have camera phones.

I still drink vodka all the time, by the way.

reorith
2009-12-27, 12:50 AM
Everyone needs to get trashed on Jager Bombs at least once in their life. :smallamused:

One shot of Jagermeister dropped into a cup of redbull. Then scull. Repeat until the bottle is gone. :smallbiggrin:

i did that in barcelona... good times. i can't return to spain until after 12/03/12 as a result of some stuff i did that night.

Trog
2009-12-27, 01:03 AM
Try everything... but not all at once. :smalltongue:

First of all I'd say try beer. There's a huge variety out there and every guy of age who drinks should know what kinds they like and do not like. Try something different each time and see what appeals to you. If you can develop a range of beers you like from the more typical to the rare you can be set for any social situation (Not everyone out there drinks microbrews). At the very least establish a few kinds you do not like and you'll be on your way to narrowing it down.

As for the harder stuff go easy on it first of all, as mixed drinks pack a more potent punch in a smaller package than your typical beer, usually. The classic mixed drinks are worth exploring. There's a good reason they've stood the test of time while drink with trendy names that appeal to young college frat types tend to come and go. When drinking these it's best not to switch to beer at any time during the night and to go slow and to make sure to order a water with each drink. Finish them both before you order another round and you should slow your consumption enough to last out for a long night. Keep refilling your glass like it's beer and you're likely to be in trouble.

Wine is complicated enough that it will take a long time to work your way through the different kinds to find what you like but isn't usually something young drinkers get much of so maybe keep it in mind for after you've worked your way through the hard stuff?

Just remember, above all, to drink in moderation and, if you aren't going to (many young drinkers do not at first), at least make sure you don't do it too often. The last thing you need is to succumb to alcoholism at a young age. *insert "The More You Know" banner here*

Ninja Chocobo
2009-12-27, 02:06 AM
Finally--if you are going to drink, it's worth actually spending money on decent booze.

If you find you enjoy beer, and then try home brewing it, it's a good way to replace money spent with time spent. Most of my batches are ~$1AUD/longneck, which is about $2 cheaper than cheap beer. It's worth it!

Coidzor
2009-12-27, 02:48 AM
If you find you enjoy beer, and then try home brewing it, it's a good way to replace money spent with time spent. Most of my batches are ~$1AUD/longneck, which is about $2 cheaper than cheap beer. It's worth it!

It is a hobby that we've been quite interested in for some time.

How long have you been doing it?

Lorn
2009-12-27, 07:45 AM
Time for some of my input...

White Russians are always good.

Black Russians are alright as well - basically replace milk/cream/half and half with coke. Tends to mix a lot better.

Rum and coke is fairly easy to get into. Try both white and dark rums.

Vodka and coke is wrong and does not mix properly.

Jaegerbombs... wait for a while after you start drinking before you try these. Seriously. Got my mate into them and ended up having to literally carry him through Newcastle... and he's 6'4 and built like a tank. Only try them with a few good friends around :p

Beers... most of what I like is some of the local stuff. However, if you can, I highly advise you try Innis and Gunn - it's oak aged beer and absolutely amazing.

Ales in general are good.

Guinness is an acquired taste for most people.

Ciders I've gone off. However, avoid Strongbow and anything that comes in a plastic bottle.

Absinthe is awesome. However, do NOT drink it straight. Prepare it properly. Guides can be found on Wikihow; the method that involves fire gives a slightly different drink and is impressive as hell when you make it, and the method that does not tends to feel quite watery, if that makes sense. Also - straight, it can be between 50 and 70 percent. Diluted, it's closer to 20 percent.

Vodkas... I'm not hugely into. However, Thunder toffee vodka is pretty good. Seriously, though, most vodkas are best used as a mixer. Just not with coke.

Finally, mead. This stuff is awesome. DO NOT try Lindisfarne mead, as it is not in fact mead. Moniack is very, very good however. Best drunk from a huge drinking horn passed around between a bunch of friends for toasts.

And wine is a classic. Each to their own as far as that goes, I'll drink most of it but it kills me in the morning.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-12-27, 07:51 AM
It is a hobby that we've been quite interested in for some time.

How long have you been doing it?

I've been doing it for about six months or so, now. But it's kind of been put on hold because what with me not being an alcoholic (mostly) any more I kinda build up a stockpile.

It requires a pretty substantial initial investment, and it can be quite disappointing when things don't go as planned, but the elation when you get a brew just right and the immediate urge to give it to everyone you know (and a few folk you don't) to taste it more than makes up for it.

Not to mention it's cheap and fun.

Although I can't help but think that my progress into the hobby would have been somewhat hindered if there wasn't a friendly knowledgeable all-purpose home brewing store within walking distance of my house.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-27, 09:47 AM
Red wine, of course.

It's the best drank over all. Happy, classic and hot.

Kneenibble
2009-12-27, 10:06 PM
Quaestio.

Why does the can say to serve Guinness very cold? Is this simply catering to popular taste on the manufacturer's part? I ask because all the instincts of mye wel-used tonge drive me to take a dark beer so much closer to room temperature than that.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-12-27, 10:13 PM
Have what I'm having. Straight vodka and jager bombs, all night long.

NEW YEARS PARTY AT MY PLACE

Kneenibble
2009-12-27, 10:37 PM
Have what I'm having. Straight vodka and jager bombs, all night long.

NEW YEARS PARTY AT MY PLACE

May I come? I'll hold your hair back at 3 am, baby.

Riffington
2009-12-27, 10:56 PM
Quaestio.

Why does the can say to serve Guinness very cold? Is this simply catering to popular taste on the manufacturer's part? I ask because all the instincts of mye wel-used tonge drive me to take a dark beer so much closer to room temperature than that.

There are two reasons.
The first is, as you say, catering to popular taste.
The second is that closer to room temperature, you'll notice that Guinness in a can is better than a bottle, but not nearly so good as a draught. At colder temperatures, you won't notice so easily.

Warpfire
2009-12-28, 03:37 AM
Tequila. Lots and lots of it.

At a distant second, beer. Mostly the imported stuff. Guinness is very good. As for American beer...its not all bad, but most of it I'd only drink if I didn't plan on stopping to appreciate the taste. But Blue Moon is good.

Also vodka rocks.

Jager bombs are very popular on Jersey Shore. I really don't think there's anything else to say there.

And hey, where's self-righteous anti-alcohol guy? There's always one for these kind of threads.

skywalker
2009-12-28, 04:38 AM
Try a mudslide. I believe they're similar to white russians. I don't drink much, and I still find them tasty - so does everyone else I know.

Kahlua (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahl%C3%BAa), Bailey's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baileys_Irish_Cream), vodka, and cream/milk. Tastes like chocolate milk, IMO. You won't know you're getting drunk. Other things that are good for this: any of those flavored Smirnoffs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smirnoff) or Bacardis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacardi).

As for beer, Blue Moon is great. Anything belgian is usually pretty good.

Oh dear. You'll be sad to learn that Blue Moon is in fact manufactured by Coors, and is therefore not Belgian, altho it is "Belgian style."

I feel like some kind of blubbering fool now that so many people have said that you should never drink whiskey from a bottle... Oh well, feeling like a blubbering fool never stopped me from doing anything before:smallbiggrin:

I drink Jack out of the bottle for the sheer hillbilly charm of it.

Agreed, Jagerbombs are a trap. One of only two times I've blacked out was from drinking Jagerbombs, and the other time was due to a whole fifth of Jack Daniels.

I'm glad you're still alive...

Jack Daniels and Root beer (tastes like Brachs root beer barrels!).

This is called a Davy Crockett. Don't use crappy root beer, it insults the Jack. Otherwise? Delicious. One thing that might actually better is scotch and root beer. This is much smoother because it lacks the kick of the Jack. Really more a question of mood than of "one's better than the other."

I'm curious how this advice:

Black Russians are alright as well - basically replace milk/cream/half and half with coke. Tends to mix a lot better.

is supposed to mix with this:

Hm?

Yes. Seconded.

Jager bombs are very popular on Jersey Shore. I really don't think there's anything else to say there.

I tried and tried to find something, to no avail.

And hey, where's self-righteous anti-alcohol guy? There's always one for these kind of threads.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

Scotch is delicious, my drink of choice, and, contrary to popular belief, does not require you to be an experienced drinker to enjoy it. You do, however, need to be an experienced drinker to enjoy a lot of it.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-28, 02:44 PM
Cider is always good. As long as it comes from a glass bottle or a tap that doesn't say Strongbow. You can taste the chemicals too much. I got a bottle of strawberry & lime cider for Christmas, and it was lovely.

If people are warning you about Jaegerbombs, I feel you should be forewarned about Vodka-Red Bull as well. Mixing a massive depressant with a massive stimulant is a terrible, terrible idea. And it doesn't even taste nice.

I disagree with peoples love for White Russians, but that is most likely just me.

Basically, each time you plan to drink, try something different. You'll quickly learn what you like and dislike, and can refine your choices from there.

Lorn
2009-12-28, 02:49 PM
I'm curious how this advice:

is supposed to mix with this:
Vodka, coke and nothing else tends to mix very, very poorly.

Black Russians, however, have a coffee liquer in, which tends to make the vodka mix a bit better in my experience - though I always add the coke last which may have something to do with this. It also means that in the event that the vodka does not mix properly and instead just floats at the top, then the rest of the drink is not just coke and does in fact have some alcohol in there...

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-29, 06:04 AM
There are people who soil their black russians with coke? :smallyuk:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-12-30, 05:21 AM

Don't make that kinda offer if you ain't prepared to deliver, sweet thing.

Shadow of the Sun
2009-12-30, 05:40 AM
Scotch. I stick too Scotch, drunk completely neat, at room temperature. In fact, I've already had three glasses of it today. I enjoy the nice smoky taste, but I think I need drink more scotch to get used to the 'burning' after-effect. I love the smell, and the taste is quite nice once you get used too it.

KuReshtin
2009-12-30, 05:54 AM
Scotch. I stick too Scotch, drunk completely neat, at room temperature. In fact, I've already had three glasses of it today. I enjoy the nice smoky taste, but I think I need drink more scotch to get used to the 'burning' after-effect. I love the smell, and the taste is quite nice once you get used too it.

If you like'em smoky, then Ardbeg is the one for you. It has been described as trying to drink the scrapings from the inside of a chimney.

Moofaa
2010-01-03, 03:12 AM

And hey, where's self-righteous anti-alcohol guy? There's always one for these kind of threads.

29 (nearly 30!) and I still haven't touched alcohol.

Everyone gives me wierd looks when I am unable to participate in alcohol-related comraderie-building discussions. I don't know anything about all the silly names to these drinks and what the differences are.

Normally I just tell them the smell makes me nauseous , which is true and less of a conversation downer than mentioning alcoholism and depression don't mix well and I already have one of those conditions.

Phae Nymna
2010-01-03, 03:22 AM
From my bartender experience, as little as it may seem, Gordon's is the bestest gin around when it comes to not tasting like nail varnish remover.

Also, Ramos Gin Fizz and the traditional Sazerac are two of the finest drinks ever invented. Geaux New Orleans.

Juhn
2010-01-03, 03:25 AM
I seem to like rum well enough, also in "and coke" and "cooler" forms.

(At least, if the empty cooler right next to me is any indication)

Warpfire
2010-01-03, 04:31 AM
29 (nearly 30!) and I still haven't touched alcohol.

Everyone gives me wierd looks when I am unable to participate in alcohol-related comraderie-building discussions. I don't know anything about all the silly names to these drinks and what the differences are.

Normally I just tell them the smell makes me nauseous , which is true and less of a conversation downer than mentioning alcoholism and depression don't mix well and I already have one of those conditions.

Pfft, not nearly self-righteous, or even really anti alcohol. Next time try, "You guys are messed up because you NEED alcohol to have a good time" or "Alcohol is a POISON and you're all POISONING yourselves!!!"

Alcoholism isn't really that likely if you're smart about it unless you're somehow predisposed. Though depression might do that, I wouldn't know. But hey, to each his own and if you feel safer that way then whatever.

Me, I have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism and I drink. But I'm stupid, so...

Don Julio Anejo
2010-01-03, 06:06 AM
Pfft, not nearly self-righteous, or even really anti alcohol. Next time try, "You guys are messed up because you NEED alcohol to have a good time" or "Alcohol is a POISON and you're all POISONING yourselves!!!"

Alcoholism isn't really that likely if you're smart about it unless you're somehow predisposed. Though depression might do that, I wouldn't know. But hey, to each his own and if you feel safer that way then whatever.

Me, I have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism and I drink. But I'm stupid, so...
It's not so much a genetic predisposition as a cognitive one. There is a genetic factor, yes, but it simply means your chances of developing alcoholism are slightly higher than the general population if a parent has it and all other factors are unchanged, not that you necessarily will develop it or even you can develop it.

Drinking is related to depression in that if you drink as a cure for depression, it's unhealthy and can cause alcoholism. Unhealthy means you drink when there's no social reason to do so, you do so to improve your mood/forget about problems/etc and you do so regularly enough (a few times a year is perfectly fine but a few times a week is pushing it). There's also the part where alcoholism by itself could lead to depression, but it's a different story and not related to here.

Moofaa, my point is that you're safe if you only drink with friends, even though you have depression?. Just don't drink to forget/to be happy/to calm down.

Setra
2010-01-03, 07:48 AM
Ya know.. despite being the one who started this thread.. I've been sick all throughout New Years and haven't really been able to eat or drink normally, let alone the alcohol I wanted to..

Alas :smallsigh:

Ninja Chocobo
2010-01-03, 08:00 AM
Though depression might do that, I wouldn't know.

I was depressed on New Year's Eve.
I spent eleven hours drunk.

Lioness
2010-01-03, 08:06 AM
I'm not old enough to drink yet.

Despite this, my count is

About 6 sips of champagne.
3 NYE 2009
1 NYE 2008
1 NYE 2007
2 Some other random night, when mum tried to feed me some

1 sip of Baileys

And that's all.

I like the Baileys. I like it a lot.

starwoof
2010-01-03, 08:13 AM
I'm actually drunk now, so pardon my spelling.

Mead is good.

Mike's Hard is good if you're into bitch beer.

Alaskan Amber is the local favorite, Alaskan Winter tastes like the northwest.

Irish carbombs are the bomb, seriously.

Try tequila once, and decide for yourself. I hate it.

My mom showed up at a news years eve party I was at. Not cool...

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 08:40 AM
Time for some of my input...

White Russians are always good.

Rum and coke is fairly easy to get into. Try both white and dark rums.

Jaegerbombs... wait for a while after you start drinking before you try these. Seriously. Got my mate into them and ended up having to literally carry him through Newcastle... and he's 6'4 and built like a tank. Only try them with a few good friends around :p

Beers... most of what I like is some of the local stuff. However, if you can, I highly advise you try Innis and Gunn - it's oak aged beer and absolutely amazing.

Ales in general are good.

Guinness is an acquired taste for most people.

Ciders I've gone off. However, avoid Strongbow and anything that comes in a plastic bottle.

Absinthe is awesome. However, do NOT drink it straight. Prepare it properly. Guides can be found on Wikihow; the method that involves fire gives a slightly different drink and is impressive as hell when you make it, and the method that does not tends to feel quite watery, if that makes sense. Also - straight, it can be between 50 and 70 percent. Diluted, it's closer to 20 percent.

Vodkas... I'm not hugely into. However, Thunder toffee vodka is pretty good. Seriously, though, most vodkas are best used as a mixer. Just not with coke.

Finally, mead. This stuff is awesome. DO NOT try Lindisfarne mead, as it is not in fact mead. Moniack is very, very good however. Best drunk from a huge drinking horn passed around between a bunch of friends for toasts.

And wine is a classic. Each to their own as far as that goes, I'll drink most of it but it kills me in the morning.
Aside from the beer and ale(don't like them)
This post wins the thread. Seriously.
Except that wine doesn't kill me in the morning.

Also, getting drunk on jaegermeister can get people to swear it off, and tremendously reduce their drinking.

And just gotta mention, even though it's already in Lorn's post: mead. is. awesome.

I pity the fool who hasn't tasted it.

onthetown
2010-01-03, 08:43 AM
Smirnoff coolers. My boyfriend is constantly at me about how they're "sissy" drinks, but I can't get enough of them. :smallbiggrin: They come in flavours like green apple and other really juicy ones... They sort of taste like juice with pop.

Lately I've been drinking other vodka coolers since the liquor store I've been going to apparently doesn't stock Smirnoff... Vex is the one I've got in the fridge now, it tastes like strawberry pop.

Wine is good. Beer is an acquired taste (one I haven't acquired yet), or so I'm told.

starwoof
2010-01-03, 08:45 AM
Apparently my birthday gift to my best friend is to drink an entire bottle of some wine called Night Train. Apparently it causes 2 day hangovers.

I only agreed because I've known him FOREVER and I get to quote Doomguy as much as I want. Here comes the night train! Choo choo cha! Boogie!

Smirnoff coolers. My boyfriend is constantly at me about how they're "sissy" drinks, but I can't get enough of them. :smallbiggrin: They come in flavours like green apple and other really juicy ones... They sort of taste like juice with pop.

Just because its a sissy drink doesn't mean it isn't delicious.

RS14
2010-01-03, 05:07 PM
Apparently my birthday gift to my best friend is to drink an entire bottle of some wine called Night Train. Apparently it causes 2 day hangovers.

It's crummy wine. (http://www.bumwine.com/nighttrain.html)

Note that the entire bottle is potentially lethal, depending on your weight, speed of consumption, speed of metabolization, and water/kg in your body. If you're an average male, you can expect "only" blackouts, vomiting, etc. Stay safe.

(Also, I'm assuming that this is a 750mL bottle; it may be smaller or larger, which will change these expectations.)

Warpfire
2010-01-03, 11:19 PM

I only agreed because I've known him FOREVER and I get to quote Doomguy as much as I want. Here comes the night train! Choo choo cha! Boogie!

If I were you I would punch my friend in the face and never talk to him again for even suggesting such a thing. Night Train is the greatest atrocity man has ever inflicted on his fellows. I may be exaggerating slightly

starwoof
2010-01-03, 11:23 PM
Well I'm fairly large and I have a strong stomach so I think I won't be TOO bad. I also intend to drink it really slow and share as much as I can behind his back. I will be careful.

celticbushido
2010-01-04, 01:54 AM
If I were you I would punch my friend in the face and never talk to him again for even suggesting such a thing. Night Train is the greatest atrocity man has ever inflicted on his fellows. I may be exaggerating slightly

Respectfully disagree, that honor goes to Sisco, seriously Dateline did a special about it, they called it "liquid crack". Which I've never had crack, but I imagine it'd be something like Sisco, it's pretty terrible.

As for good liquors, I'm a Scotch/Irish Whiskey kinda guy. I suggest Jameson's Irish whiskey, served in a chilled glass, or The Dimple Pinch Scotch, served the same way. Both are reasonably priced, and quality. For me these are both night cap sort of drinks, that I'll have one of before going to bed. Leaves you with a nice warm comfy feeling.

Beer is another story altogether, while it is an acquired taste (personally couldn't stand it at first) if you do learn to enjoy it, it's something really special. Today I love beer, all kinds of beer. Imports, ales, lagers, stouts, ciders really anything will do. Some of my personal favorites are: Guinness, Killian's Irish Red, Dundee's Honey Brown, Sam Adam's seasonal Octoberfest, Miller Lite, Red Stripe, Hornsby Draught Cider, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Stella Artois, and the list could continue.

Wine, I'm not as well versed in, I like some red's and some white's but I couldn't name any that are really exceptional. Red wine should always be consumed with caution, it'll sneak up on you and leave you with a pounding headache.

I'd also like to hitch my wagon to the Mead love train. Nectar of the god's I always buy myself a bottle or two at the Renaissance Festival in Missouri since you can't legally buy mead in Arkansas where I live.

Finally drink in moderation, and don't drive drunk. I managed a bar for 5 years and I've seen first hand more than once the horrors of drunk driving. if you've going to a bar have a DD, or make sure you've got extra cash for a cab.

Cheers!

charl
2010-01-05, 03:11 AM
I was in Germany over the new year and I drank a lot (like... a bottle a day) of kräuterlikör. There's a lot of good ones that are much better than Jägermeister. If you can get a hold of some (which seems to be pretty hard outside of Germany) I would suggest trying different brands. I recall Würzelpeter being my favourite.

Lucky
2010-01-05, 03:59 AM
Smirnoff Coolers are a brilliant "starter drink," if you will. They don't have a strong taste, and a lot of them taste quite good, and they have about as much alocohol as a beer does. I honestly could not recommend anything higher for someone just beginning to drink.

Rettu Skcollob
2010-01-05, 04:24 AM

Ha-ha! After the night I have no hangover at all, and apparently the worst I did that I can't remember was try to chat up some girl and sing selections from various pieces of musical theatre.

raitalin
2010-01-05, 04:39 AM
Dundee's makes a 12 bottle "craft pack" that's a great deal (12.50 at Walmart). All the beer is at least decent and if you're new to the game its a great way to learn what type of beer you enjoy, as it contains a porter, a wheat, a pale ale, an IPA, a brown ale and a boch.

Dexam
2010-01-06, 01:47 AM
Here's my two coppers worth of advice to inexperienced drinkers - most of which has probably already been mentioned, but ye gets what ye pays for :smallwink:

Beers and ales: can be an acquired taste, but often worth it. Sample a variety of different kinds, and believe me when I say there are a lot out there. If you're sampling different beers in one outing, start with the lighter coloured beers first (such as wheat beers or pale ales) and move on to the darker beers. The darker beers often have stronger flavours which can overpower the lighter ones.

Wines and ports: if you can afford it, go on a winery tasting tour. You'll get to sample a variety of different wines from a variety of wineries, and it can be well worth it to discover what type of wine you like. The winery staff will generally guide you through a tasting, but the rule of thumb is start with whites, then rosé, then reds, finally ports and liquer or fortified wines. And remember to have dry wines before sweet wines. Also pay attention to temperature - some wines are meant to be consumed chilled, others at room temperature, and it will make a difference!

Scotch and whiskey: drinking it at "room temperature" is for those where room temperature isn't often somewhere between 30-40ºC :smalltongue: Generally I drink it in a chilled glass. Naturally, your mileage may vary.

General advice: drink responsibly! Pace yourself, and space alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic ones. Never, ever drink and drive.

Specific advice for my fellow Western Australians:
I, too, am on the mead love train. There are two meaderies in Western Australia - Bartholomews Meadery (http://www.bartholomewsmeadery.com.au/) near Denmark (but available in some Perth liquor stores); and Blackwood Meadery (http://www.margaretriver.com/accom_result1/blackwood-meadery/) between Augusta and Margaret River (phone/fax or cellar door sales only). Blackwood do blackberry liquer mead and boysenberry liquer meads that are totally divine! And while you're down the Margaret River way, pick up some Happs 'Pale Gold' (http://www.happs.com.au/pages/paleGold.html) (also godlike) and Woody Nook 'Nooky Delight' (http://www.woodynook.com.au/Departments/Wines/Port.aspx) (quite possibly the best port I've ever tasted).

Kneenibble
2010-01-06, 01:55 AM
Ha-ha! After the night I have no hangover at all, and apparently the worst I did that I can't remember was try to chat up some girl and sing selections from various pieces of musical theatre.

Oh, so it's like that now. :smallsigh: :smallannoyed: :smallfurious: :smallfrown: :bawling:

(Edit: Good... it sounded like hangover soup. I woke up fine this year, too. :smallsmile:)