PDA

View Full Version : The "Voidmage", a destructive arcane base class [3.5 PEACH]

Veeda Vidlak
2009-12-26, 08:08 PM
Base Class: Voidmage

Deep underground in the heart of Eturia lays the reclusive and vicious organization that calls themselves the Order of the Void. The existence of this small group is unknown to any of the surface powers and is dismissed by the self-serving races of the underdark because the Order never flaunts its power. In reality, the Order of the void is led by immensely powerful spellcasters known as Voidmages. These destructive arcane casters dream of turning the surface world to dust and annihilating all sentient life so their enigmatic leader Dalek can replace it with beings of his own creation for the Order to rule.

Abilities: A Voidmage’s power is based in the relentless study of dangerous arcane secrets so intelligence is the most important statistic for them, determining all spellcasting capabilities as well as the enhanced damage class feature. Dexterity is also useful for the various rays and touch attacks a Voidmage possesses. Charisma can be used for a few of the class skills (notably bluff) a Voidmage may need to persuade others to assist them when they would normally be averse to helping such a person. Constitution is as useful as always.

Races: Any race is acceptable to the Voidmages provided they are supremely loyal to Dalek. Humans make up the bulk of the Voidmages, although sociopathic elves, half-elves, and gnomes are also not uncommon. Some underdark races such as drow and duergar are also members.

Alignment: A long-term goal of bringing about the apocalypse places the vast majority of Voidmages deep in the evil side of the alignment spectrum and many of these are chaotic to boot. It is not impossible to find a nonevil Voidmage, although the best of them are neutral. A nonevil Voidmage may be a true neutral with the belief that starting the world again would be the best plan of achieving a strong, balanced society.

Requirements
Race: Any
Alignment: any nongood/nonlawful
Special: Must be a member of the Order of the Void

Hit Die: d6
Skill Points/level: 2

Level| Base Attack Bonus| Fort Save| Ref Save| Will Save| Special
1st| +0| +0| +0| +2| Spells, armored mage (light)
2nd| +1| +0| +0| +3| Initiative of the Void
3rd| +1| +1| +1| +3| Deadly touch 1/encounter, Advanced Learning
4th| +2| +1| +1| +4| Void blast +1d6
5th| +2| +1| +1| +4| Enhanced fire and lightning
6th| +3| +2| +2| +5| Enhanced damage
7th| +3| +2| +2| +5| Advanced learning, Apprentice of the Void
8th| +4| +2| +2| +6| Void blast +2d6
9th| +4| +3| +3| +6| Bonus Feat
10th| +5| +3| +3| +7| Enhanced acid and sonic, devastating Touch 2/encounter
11th| +5| +3| +3| +7| Advanced learning
12th| +6| +4| +4| +8| Void blast +3d6, enhanced damage x2
13th| +6| +4| +4| +8| Deconstruction
14th| +7| +4| +4| +9| Adept of the Void
15th| +7| +5| +5| +9| Enhanced Disintegration, advanced learning
16th| +8| +5| +5| +10| Void blast +4d6
17th| +8| +5| +5| +10| Destructive touch 3/encounter
18th| +9| +6| +6| +11| Eradicate the Soul, enhanced damage x3
19th| +9| +6| +6| +11| Bonus Feat, advanced learning
20th| +10| +6| +6| +12| Master of the Void, void blast +5d6

Class Skills: spellcraft, knowledge (all), decipher script, intimidate, profession, concentration
Abilities

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Void Mage gains proficiency with simple weapons, light armor, and light shields.

Spells: A Voidmage casts arcane spells spontaneously off of a predetermined list. A Voidmage casts like a sorcerer except he uses Intelligence as his casting stat instead of charisma.

Armored Mage (Ex): A Voidmage may cast spells in light armor without having to deal with arcane spell failure.

Initiate of the Void (Su): at second level a Voidmage begins developing resistances to the effects of purely destructive magic. He gains a +2 bonus on saves against energy drain, death effects, and negative energy effects.

Advanced Learning (Ex): At third level and every fourth level thereafter a Voidmage may choose an evocation spell from the sorcerer/wizard list and add it to his spells known list.

Deadly Touch (Su): at 3rd level a Voidmage may once per encounter touch an enemy and deal 1d8 damage per caster level (Fort half DC 10 +1/2 Voidmage level + Int modifier). Anyone reduced to 0 hp by this is disintegrated.

Void Blast (Su): at 4th level a Voidmage may fire a blast of destructive energy up to medium range (100 ft +10 ft/lvl) that deals 1d6 damage in a 30 ft radius. Anyone who is reduced to 0 hp from this attack is disintegrated. This damage increases by another 1d6 every 4 levels.

Enhanced Magic (Su): At 5th level a Voidmage gains increased strength when using spells and abilities with the fire or lightning descriptor. These spells deal an additional 1 damage per caster level, are cast at caster level +2, and have their save DCs increased by 1. At 10th level these same bonuses are applied to spells and abilities with the acid or sonic descriptor. At 15th level these bonuses apply to spells and abilities that reduce the target to ash.

Enhanced Damage (Su): At 6th level a Voidmage’s spells and abilities deal an extra point of damage for each point of Intelligence bonus the Voidmage possesses (assuming they deal damage in the first place). At 12th level they deal 2x the intelligence bonus and at 18th level they deal 3 times the intelligence bonus.

Apprentice of the Void (Su): at 7th level a Voidmage’s resistances become immunities. He becomes immune to energy drain, death effects, and negative energy damage. An undead Void Mage may still be healed by negative energy if it chooses to.

Bonus Feats: at 9th level and again at 19th level a Voidmage gains a bonus feat. The feat must be a metamagic feat, spell focus feat, spell penetration feat, or an item creation feat.

Devastating Touch (Su): At 10th level a Voidmage’s deadly touch improves and deals 2d6 damage per caster level. Additionally, he may use the ability 2/encounter. The ability is only usable once per round because it empties a portion of the destructive energies a Voidmage possesses.

Deconstruction (Su): At 13th level a Voidmage may ignore any SR or magical immunity of a construct when using a spell or ability that reduces the target to ash.

Adept of the Void (Su): at 14th level a Voidmage continues to accumulate immunities to destructive forces and becomes immune to any effect that causes disintegration, including damage.

Destructive Touch (Su): At 17th level a Voidmage’s devastating touch improves. If the target fails the fortitude save he is instantly disintegrated. On a successful save the target’s hp is reduced by half. Additionally he may use the ability 3/encounter. It is still only usable once per round

Eradicate the Soul (Su): At 18th level a Voidmage gains the ability to attempt to destroy the soul of any enemy he disintegrates. If an enemy is reduced to ash by one of the Voidmage’s spells or abilities it must succeed on a fortitude save (DC is the same as whatever disintegrated it) or the soul is destroyed along with the body. If this happens the target cannot be revived by any means short of divine intervention.

Master of the Void (Su): At 20th level a Voidmage achieves the apex of his abilities and becomes immune to the effects of a sphere of annihilation. In addition, a Voidmage may form a destructive sphere similar to a sphere of annihilation 1/day as a standard action that lasts up to 1 round per 2 caster levels. The Voidmage has total control over the sphere and it cannot be controlled by anybody except the Voidmage. It works like sphere of ultimatte destruction except it is surrounded by a vortex that pulls targets in from 30 feet (reflex DC 10+1/2 character level+ INT negates, +10 DC for flying creatures). Gargantuan or larger creatures are immune to the vortex. If the sphere touches a creature it must make a fortitude save (DC same as the vortex) or be disintegrated. The sphere can move up to 50 feet per round.

Spells per day

1st: 5/3
2nd: 5/4
3rd: 6/5
4th: 6/6/3
5th: 6/6/4
6th: 6/6/5/3
7th: 6/6/6/4
8th: 6/6/6/5/3
9th: 6/6/6/6/4
10th: 6/6/6/6/5/3
11th: 6/6/6/6/6/4
12th: 6/6/6/6/6/5/3
13th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/4
14th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/5/3
15th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/4
16th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/5/3
17th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/4
18th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/5/3
19th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/4
20th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/5

Spells known

0th: acid splash, electric jolt, sonic snap, touch of fatigue
1st: chill touch, corrosive grasp, ebon eyes, erase, grease, hail of stone, inflict light wounds, lesser orb of acid, lesser orb of electricity, lesser orb of fire, lesser orb of sound, mage armor, protection from law, raging flame, ray of enfeeblement

2nd: acid arrow, blindness/deafness, combust, darkness, darkvision, decomposition, earthbind, inflict moderate wounds, protection from arrows, ray of weakness, resist energy, scorching ray, seeking ray, shatter, see invisibility, sonic weapon, summon swarm

3rd: acid breath, deeper darkvision, dispel magic, fireball, inflict serious wounds, junglerazer, lightning bolt, magic circle against law, protection from energy, ray of exhaustion, resonating bolt, rust ray, shatterfloor, sound lance, unluck

4th: black tentacles, corporeal instability, crushing despair, enervation, inflict critical wounds, metal melt, orb of acid, orb of electricity, orb of fire, orb of sound, shout, wall of chaos, wood rot

5th: blight, cacophonic burst, cloudkill, death throes, dismissal, insect plague, miasma of entropy, moonbow, teleport, waves of fatigue

6th: acid storm, antilife shell, banishment, chain lightning, disintegrate, energy immunity, greater dispel magic, harm, ray of entropy

7th: delayed blast fireball, destruction, earthquake, energy ebb, fire storm, greater shout, greater teleport, sword of darkness, waves of exhaustion

8th: avascular mass, blackfire, bombardment, cloak of chaos, flensing, horrid wilting, lightning ring

9th: black blade of disaster, detonate, disjunction, energy drain, maw of chaos, meteor swarm, sphere of ultimate destruction

Raiki
2009-12-26, 09:19 PM
A few comments.

1) I like the deadly touch ability, but the 1/day limit seems a bit too restrictive to me. It's already a full caster, giving an HP damaging ability a few times per day won't drastically harm game balance. I'd say make it "Int Mod times per day" and call it a night.

2) You might want to clarify the advanced learning feature, otherwise everyone is just going to use it to snag alter self/polymorph, et cetera.

3) Eradicate the soul seems a bit harsh. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any other spell/ability/creature that just completely denies a chance to ressurect by any means. Even if you just changed it to "The subject, having failed the second save, may not be raised or ressurected by any means short of divine intervention." then at least it would become a plot hook instead of a save-or-roll-new-character ability. This is compounded by the fact that it seems more likely that a Voidmage would be a BBEG and the destroyed soul would belong to a PC.

4) On the whole, I like it. I know that most of the people on these boards abhor direct damage spells/casters, but I think it's interesting and flavorful. Good job.

~Raiki~

Flickerdart
2009-12-26, 09:28 PM
Any reason why you arbitrarily forbid Voidmages from picking up Cold spells with Advanced Learning?

Edit: On further examination, you don't give them any Cold spells at all. They don't seem to favour Fire especially, so it can't be a Robert Frost joke...

Zeta Kai
2009-12-26, 09:31 PM
That capstone is a bit... specific.

I'd suggest something more generally useful, like immunity to "instant death effects, including disintegrate, destruction, ruin, wail of the banshee, spheres of annihilation, etc."

Baron Corm
2009-12-26, 09:35 PM
I think the Deadly Touch and Void Blast abilities are a little unnecessary. Might as well make them spells. Unless they tie in to the rest of your class in some way. Since you did absolutely nothing with the flavor of the name "voidmage", perhaps create some sort of unique power source (i.e., "The Void") which uses Void Blast to fuel it, and grants bonuses or something. Without that this is pretty much just a better warmage.

Veeda Vidlak
2009-12-26, 09:41 PM
A few comments.

1) I like the deadly touch ability, but the 1/day limit seems a bit too restrictive to me. It's already a full caster, giving an HP damaging ability a few times per day won't drastically harm game balance. I'd say make it "Int Mod times per day" and call it a night.

2) You might want to clarify the advanced learning feature, otherwise everyone is just going to use it to snag alter self/polymorph, et cetera.

3) Eradicate the soul seems a bit harsh. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any other spell/ability/creature that just completely denies a chance to ressurect by any means. Even if you just changed it to "The subject, having failed the second save, may not be raised or ressurected by any means short of divine intervention." then at least it would become a plot hook instead of a save-or-roll-new-character ability. This is compounded by the fact that it seems more likely that a Voidmage would be a BBEG and the destroyed soul would belong to a PC.

4) On the whole, I like it. I know that most of the people on these boards abhor direct damage spells/casters, but I think it's interesting and flavorful. Good job.

~Raiki~

1. This is fine. I also think 1/encounter (increased at higher levels) would also work.

2. Yeah...The plan was for people to pick some utility (like overland flight) while the rest was damaging transmutations and evocations using the 4 energy types the Voidmages uses. I could just change this to picking any evocation then adding overland flight to the spell list.

3. I thought I had the divine clause in there... The ability is supposed to allow for divine resurrection for exactly that reason (goes to edit)

4. Thanks!

As for the other points. Cold isn't in there because, while dangerous, it isn't a destructive element as much as the others.

The capstone could be stronger, yes, but the other abilities mentioned a Voidmage is already immune to from earlier abilities. Perhaps a unique spell that can form a temporary sphere of annihilation?

Raiki
2009-12-26, 09:57 PM
The plan was for people to pick some utility

There are plenty of batman-wizards out there. Focused casters generally don't do utility. Versatility falls by the wayside while striving for mastery.

The capstone could be stronger, yes, but the other abilities mentioned a Voidmage is already immune to from earlier abilities. Perhaps a unique spell that can form a temporary sphere of annihilation?

Emphasis mine.

I like this. Making a unique spell for a unique casting class is a bit of a stretch, but making it a 1/day class ability that lasts for...say 5 rounds? I think 5 rounds of Sphere of Annihilation per day sounds like a fairly solid capstone. Honestly, 1 rd/2 caster levels probably still wouldn't be too much.

~Raiki~

Owrtho
2009-12-26, 10:18 PM

Maybe make an ability like Melchsee's (http://www.onemanga.com/Psyren/22/18-19/) Door (http://www.onemanga.com/Psyren/28/10/) (or any of the moves (http://psyren.wikia.com/wiki/Ageha_Yoshina) made using it) from Psyren (http://www.onemanga.com/Psyren/).

Owrtho

Melamoto
2009-12-27, 06:16 AM
Destructive Touch (Su): At 17th level a Voidmage’s devastating touch improves. If the target fails the fortitude save he is instantly disintegrated. On a successful save the target’s hp is reduced by half. Additionally he may use the ability 3/day.

By 1 reading of this, this ability means that any enemy who is touched twice instantly dies, whether passing the saves or not. Combine with celerity for 1-round instagib.

By the other, you still deal massive damage to any enemy, and if it's the BBEG, have fun knocking him down to under 1/8 hp in 3 rounds without any particular abuse of the ability.

Captain Alien
2009-12-27, 06:18 AM
Actually, does desintegrating a creature make it unable to be raised unless you use True Ressurrection? The spell needs a part of the body to succeed.

If it works that way, then the ability of desintegrating once per day at third level, or to do it any times you want at fourth is quite powerful.

Even if it does not prevent a creature from being raised, it has a lot of applications outside a battle, while exploring a dungeon, for instance.

I think it's a quite powerful class, especially if you compare it to the Warmage. And I like the concept too.

DragoonWraith
2009-12-27, 06:56 AM
You should use a table for your spells per day, too:
{table=head]Lv. | 0th | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th
1st | 5 | 3
2nd | 5 | 4
3rd | 6 | 5
4th | 6 | 6 | 3
5th | 6 | 6 | 4
6th | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
7th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4
8th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
9th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4
10th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
11th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4
12th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
13th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4
14th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
15th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4
16th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
17th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4
18th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
19th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4
20th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5[/table]

Using {table=head] will give that top bar with the different color, which can make things easier to read.

DracoDei
2009-12-27, 09:17 AM
Actually, does desintegrating a creature make it unable to be raised unless you use True Ressurrection? The spell needs a part of the body to succeed.

It specifically mentions that the dust is enough for Ressurrection. That still means you can't use Raise Dead which does make it problematic for an NPC to get this at 3rd level, and MAYBE even PCs if your villians tend to recur that way.

Silverraptor
2009-12-27, 10:07 AM
Veeda, this class is Awesome!:smallbiggrin:

I may will make one for my friends group.

Veeda Vidlak
2009-12-29, 08:51 AM
thanks for the input everyone. I have made the following adjustments based on the various suggestions and my own overview.

1. The deadly touch attack has been both upgraded and nerfed. On one hand it is now usable 1/encounter (more if the Voidmage is higher level). On the other it can only be used once per round as a standard action.

2. The enhanced magic for disintegration gained at 15th level now applies to the Voidmage's abilities like void blast as well as his spells.

3. Advanced learning may take any evocation spell and may not take a transmutation spell (damn celerity). I still fully expect people to take wind wall, contingency, howling chain, etc.

4. The capstone of the Voidmage now includes the ability to form a temporary sphere of annihilation 1/day for up to 1/2 caster level as a supernatural ability.

5. Although it wasn't my intention, this class looks like a decent warmage "fix". Feel free to reflavor the fluff so it works like that.

I'll update the original post in a few hours days (I'm literally going to Disneyworld). How does the class look now?

The Blackbird
2010-01-05, 11:08 PM
I like it, it's like improved warmage.

This looks like a class that someone intent on revenge on the world would take.

Milskidasith
2010-01-05, 11:57 PM
A sphere of annihilation as the capstone?

I really don't think giving a class an artifact as it's capstone, especially one that's as powerful as that, is reasonable. Especially since it doesn't have a listed range... if we assume medium range, anything within 300 feet of you at 20th level can die instantly with no save.

Basically... not really a great capstone, because it's actually too powerful (while yes, it is a full caster, at least most spells give some way to avoid their effects.)

Owrtho
2010-01-06, 12:23 AM
While I don't particularly see the capstone as giving the class an artifact, I would have to agree it seems somewhat overpowered. This is largely because they become immune to it. Normally, a sphere of annihilation is fairly slow, and hard to control, so having one for 10 rounds isn't that big of an issue, even if they can control where it is summoned, a reflex save could be given to make it so a target could avoid having it summoned on them.
However, due to their immunity, they could quite simply grab the sphere and use it to bludgeon their foes. In essence this would give them 10 rounds of being able to make a touch attack that automatically kills.
I'd suggest noting that while immune to the sphere's effects, they can't actually touch it (it acts insubstantial to them or possibly they innately make some kind of barrier that prevents them from contacting the spheres). This would remove the risk of them just grabbing it. I'd also suggest they only be able to control the sphere they make in the same manner as anyone else could (as I recall it involves using some form of telekinesis or a helmet). Also you should specify the range in which they can summon it and provide some kind of reflex save to avoid having it summoned on you (with you being someone the voidmage is attempting to summon the sphere in).

Owrtho

Kallisti
2010-01-06, 12:56 AM
There's already a ninth-level spell for Spheres of Annihilation. It's called Sphere of Ultimate Destruction, and it's basically flaming sphere+disintegrate.

I think even a temporary Sphere of Annihilation, using the rules for the artifact itself, is too much. After all, it grants no save and utterly annihilates a target with a touch attack.

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-06, 02:03 PM
*Looks up sphere of annihilation*

I forgot that there was no save... Ok, how about this

1. The Voidmage can control is using the DC 30 check as normal, nobody else can control the sphere that the Voidmage summons.
2. There IS a saving throw if the sphere hits, it is fortitude (reflex save or be annihilated from existence is still overpowered). The DC is 10+1/2 character level+Int modifier.
3. The Voidmage can utilize the sphere to perform an effect similar to the Umbral Blot (Epic Level Handbook) and can draw anyone within 30 feet into the sphere. A reflex save (same DC) avoids it and flying creatures add 10 to the DC. The ability lasts one round and takes a move action to activate. The Voidmage is immune to the vortex.

That is still very powerful, but it is a capstone for a full caster, so it's sort of what one would expect. Does this look fair?

Edit @ Milskidasith: Yeah, the sphere will have medium range. It winks out if it leaves this range and the effect ends.

Milskidasith
2010-01-06, 02:17 PM
*Looks up sphere of annihilation*

I forgot that there was no save... Ok, how about this

1. The Voidmage can control is using the DC 30 check as normal, nobody else can control the sphere that the Voidmage summons.
2. There IS a saving throw if the sphere hits, it is fortitude (reflex save or be annihilated from existence is still overpowered). The DC is 10+1/2 character level+Int modifier.
3. The Voidmage can utilize the sphere to perform an effect similar to the Umbral Blot (Epic Level Handbook) and can draw anyone within 30 feet into the sphere. A reflex save (same DC) avoids it and flying creatures add 10 to the DC. The ability lasts one round and takes a move action to activate. The Voidmage is immune to the vortex.

That is still very powerful, but it is a capstone for a full caster, so it's sort of what one would expect. Does this look fair?

Edit @ Milskidasith: Yeah, the sphere will have medium range. It winks out if it leaves this range and the effect ends.

It already has sphere of ultimate destruction on it's spell list. There's no reason to both ruin the artifact level power of the sphere of annihilation (with a save, it's no more than a slow moving ball of disintegrate) and then basically give it a weaker Sphere of Ultimate Destruction.

Instead, I'd make it's capstone... I dunno, something not reliant on an artifact, or a weakened version of an artifact that exists as a spell. Maybe a vortex into the void, or something, reflex save or be planeshifted.

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-06, 06:38 PM
It already has sphere of ultimate destruction on it's spell list. There's no reason to both ruin the artifact level power of the sphere of annihilation (with a save, it's no more than a slow moving ball of disintegrate) and then basically give it a weaker Sphere of Ultimate Destruction.

Instead, I'd make it's capstone... I dunno, something not reliant on an artifact, or a weakened version of an artifact that exists as a spell. Maybe a vortex into the void, or something, reflex save or be planeshifted.

That is almost exactly what I made the ability do. It now forms a vortex that pulls targets to their doom. Also, since it allows a fortitude save vs instant death it is not an artifact like true spheres of annihilation. It basically functions like sphere of ultimate destruction except it draws targets towards it. I don't think it would be asking too much to make it undispellable and increase the movement up to 50 ft as well.

Maerok
2010-01-06, 10:59 PM
Getting access to the effects of Talisman of the Sphere would be nice. And for a capstone, maybe get a pet mini-SoA? The current capstone seems a bit over the top though.

Glimbur
2010-01-06, 11:12 PM
Did you mean to limit the spell lists that Advanced Learnings could come from, or should a Voidmage be able to learn Consecrate, Helping Hand, Searing Light, Sending, Divine Power, or other weird spells?

The simplest fix would be to only let them draw Evocation spells from the Sorc/Wiz list.

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-07, 06:20 PM
Did you mean to limit the spell lists that Advanced Learnings could come from, or should a Voidmage be able to learn Consecrate, Helping Hand, Searing Light, Sending, Divine Power, or other weird spells?

The simplest fix would be to only let them draw Evocation spells from the Sorc/Wiz list.

Thanks for the nitpick. Fixed.

Kallisti
2010-01-07, 06:26 PM
Evocation only is extremely restrictive. Even a Warmage's advanced learning is a little more open-minded than that. At least give them conjuration or necromancy. Or both.

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-07, 07:52 PM
Evocation only is extremely restrictive. Even a Warmage's advanced learning is a little more open-minded than that. At least give them conjuration or necromancy. Or both.

Originally I allowed advanced learning to take transmutation spells, which I included mostly for access to some utility like overland flight. It got pointed out that everybody would pick polymorph, celerity, time stop, and other broken transmutation spells.

I want to allow some more options, but not anything over the top. I could include abjuration for something like spell turning, and necromancy would be fine, but I don't want the Voidmage to have immediate access to spells like polymorph or gate.

Also, evocation has quite a bit of decent stuff...wind wall, contingency, defenestrating sphere, wall of force, forcecage, howling chain, shatter...

Kallisti
2010-01-09, 12:55 AM
Originally I allowed advanced learning to take transmutation spells, which I included mostly for access to some utility like overland flight. It got pointed out that everybody would pick polymorph, celerity, time stop, and other broken transmutation spells.

I want to allow some more options, but not anything over the top. I could include abjuration for something like spell turning, and necromancy would be fine, but I don't want the Voidmage to have immediate access to spells like polymorph or gate.

Also, evocation has quite a bit of decent stuff...wind wall, contingency, defenestrating sphere, wall of force, forcecage, howling chain, shatter...

Despite how much evocation gets bashed on as unnecessary, I think it's a perfectly legitimate school. It's just that an evocation-only Advanced Learning seems highly restrictive, especially since this class looks like it's mechanically based off Warmage and Warmage, widely heralded as a poorer blaster than a sorcerer or wizard, has more than evocation available. If I were you, I'd definitely opt in Necromancy, and probably Conjuration.