PDA

View Full Version : Male DM with all Female Player Group [Any]

Volos
2009-12-27, 01:09 AM
I'm more then likely going to be DMing a group of four women gamers within the next few months, and I'm wondering what I should do to prepare for this? As far as I can tell, the ladies I am going to game with are going to be more focused on drama and story then simple hack and slash, which is honestly why I'm so excited to run an all female group. My questions are these; Female gamers, what sort of experiences have you had with male DMs that you didn't like, what did you like? Male DMs, what sort of experiences have you had with female gamers, should I take any special conciderations beforehand in either gameplay style or storyline? And everyone else, what do you think of an all female group of gamers? An impossible myth or a singular occurance of pure chance? Oh and for background information, my wife is one of the players. Two of the other ladies are good friends with each other and my wife. The fourth party member is an agreeable aquaintance with everyone.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-27, 01:21 AM
I'm more then likely going to be DMing a group of four women gamers within the next few months, and I'm wondering what I should do to prepare for this? As far as I can tell, the ladies I am going to game with are going to be more focused on drama and story then simple hack and slash, which is honestly why I'm so excited to run an all female group. My questions are these; Female gamers, what sort of experiences have you had with male DMs that you didn't like, what did you like? Male DMs, what sort of experiences have you had with female gamers, should I take any special conciderations beforehand in either gameplay style or storyline? And everyone else, what do you think of an all female group of gamers? An impossible myth or a singular occurance of pure chance? Oh and for background information, my wife is one of the players. Two of the other ladies are good friends with each other and my wife. The fourth party member is an agreeable aquaintance with everyone.

Well broski, here's the dizzle. I'm currently DMing a group that consists of all girls, plus one fairly effeminate bisexual guy. So, for our purposes here, all girls. What I did to prepare was, basically, to ask them what they wanted. Like, what things they wanted in the campaign, style-wise: Did they want high fantasy? Steampunk? What have you. Other than that? Not really much.

There ARE a few things you have to take into account. For one, you've got to figure out what gender the characters are. Don't automatically assume they're all girls. Second off, it becomes more important to figure out just how NPCs will react to female adventurers - do they regard them as equal? Are the girls to be tormented each time they enter a pub? Do they get circumstance bonuses dealing with lecherous men? Food for thought.

More to come as I remember my process.

Volos
2009-12-27, 01:26 AM
You've made some good points. I was thinking of running a sexual campain, from the Book of Erotic Fantasy (Open Game Licence). The girls are all for it, and I've run that kind of campain before so it won't be much of a problem for me.

Drekk
2009-12-27, 01:47 AM
A friend and I ran two NPC's for a DM who ran an all-female game some years back. In his world, men were extremely rare and coveted and women ruled the world Amazonia fashion...I'm sure you can see where this is going. It was a little over the top, but the women gamers liked it, so w/e. I had to build for one session, according to the DM, a male specimen that the ladies had to defend, even though they hate my guts. So I RP'ed a lecherous Dwarf with just enough DR and hp to weather any stinging slap without blinking, and my buddy a foppish Elf whose Use Rope ranks were obnoxiously high. :smallwink:

So if you're looking to do humor with the BoEF, then go for. But if I were running for all-women and they wanted solid RP, I'd like to see a group of priestesses, personally. Clerics, Druids, Paladins, Shujengas, and so forth...Have them come up with in-depth philosophies and backstories...And have an entire session dedicated to them getting together rather than just throwing them together. I'm doing this gestalt lvl1 for a pair of male gamers; as in half their gestalt is a divine class, and I'm pretty excited about the RP opportunity. Though they're slight hack n' slashers, I think I can get them to RP more with this setup.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-27, 02:09 AM
You've made some good points. I was thinking of running a sexual campain, from the Book of Erotic Fantasy (Open Game Licence). The girls are all for it, and I've run that kind of campain before so it won't be much of a problem for me.

X_x Go search up some of my old threads. I specifically forbade my players from using it. You may find some information in there.

Fhaolan
2009-12-27, 02:20 AM

One warning. Adult games, while fun in their own way, sometimes reveal things about the *players* that you may wish you didn't know afterwards. :smallsmile:

Seriously though, I've been in this situation as the male DM with all female players, and in the reverse situation with being one of a group of all male players with a female DM. The same issues cropped up in both versions. The gender issues are all what you make of them. If none of you make it an issue, then it won't be an issue. However, some of the players may *want* to make it an issue and be aggressively belligerent IC (but not OOC). This may be just blowing off steam, or looking for ways to explore those feelings in a 'safe' environment, but it's possible for it to get out-of-hand and for RL feelings to get hurt. I've only got a couple of pieces of advice for these kinds of things:

Make sure *everyone* is on board for whatever game is about to happen. It seems like you've already started that process, but in addition, I'd recommend everyone making up their characters together, and have the players have a lot of input into the game itself. Possibly more input than your used to being given. For example, have the players make up details about one of the character's home town, and actually start the game there.

Let the players know they can be free to just make stuff up on the fly and you'll try to go with it as DM. This can backfire *a lot* so be absolutely upfront about it. The point of this is so that everyone understands that if the game goes somewhere that they begin to feel uncomfortable about, they themselves can make the call for sending it in a different direction. They don't have to wait for you as DM to notice that there is a problem, they can have some amount of control themselves.

Don't ever get into one-ups-manship. It's frustrating from all sides and never proves anything. If it's looking like someone is trying to make a point, let them make the point, and then move on. Don't try to prove them wrong, just accept that they feel strongly on that point and those feelings are likely based on some actual experience they had.

Now, I'm not giving this advice because you're male and they're female. I'm giving this advice because your post implies to me that you're concerned that there may be a 'culture gap' between you as DM and your players. In this specific case the culture gap is between genders, but it could just as easily been different religions or other cultural factors. The point of these suggestions is so that the players feel that your personal culture isn't 'overriding' theirs in-game, that they are contributing value and that you are never at any point dismissive of their viewpoints.

Swordgleam
2009-12-27, 02:25 AM
I'm a girl gamer, and the girl DMs I've known (besides myself) have been more evil than the guy DMs. So don't be surprised if the girl gamers are more devious than the guys you've encountered.

I once ran the same mini-campaign for a group of three guys, and a group of three girls. The guys' characters met, then were off on their first mission. The girls' characters met, and spent the next hour hitting on each other.

Just remember that girls are people and you've DMed for people before, and you'll do fine.

Coidzor
2009-12-27, 02:54 AM

:smalleek: Dear Lord No.*proceeds to gibbering* *gibber, gibber*

The yaoi... and the rape... oh dear lord the yaoi rape...*gibber, gibber, gibber*

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-27, 03:18 AM
I am subscribing to this thread in the expectation that you will... elaborate... on this post.

While I've never been in a situation similar to this (all-girl groups, yes; explicitly sexual as well, no) I think Fhaolan's advice should be heeded.

The Tygre
2009-12-27, 03:30 AM

Wolfgang, mah cousin!

Lioness
2009-12-27, 03:32 AM
As the only girl in a group of guys, I don't mind a little bit of sexuality. It adds a lighthearted feel. I think if I was in a group with all girls, I'd be even more okay with it. Most girls aren't embarrassed around each other with things like that.
If my current DM suggested using the BEF though, I'm not sure I would. It's just a little too awkward with the current guys in my group. One is an ex-BF, and another is a current. The other guys are hormone-charged males.

So maybe just check with them at regular periods whether it's getting too awkward.

I'm about to start DMing an all guys group as well, and I honestly have no idea what I will or wont include. The campaign doesn't call for anything sexual, but if one of them decides to visit a woman of negotiable affection overnight, I'm not going to hide it. In fact, I'll probably ask if he wants to make a perform check, and laugh if he fails :smalltongue:
No, not really. But I wont go nice.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-27, 03:40 AM
I'm about to start DMing an all guys group as well, and I honestly have no idea what I will or wont include. The campaign doesn't call for anything sexual, but if one of them decides to visit a woman of negotiable affection overnight, I'm not going to hide it. In fact, I'll probably ask if he wants to make a perform check, and laugh if he fails :smalltongue:
No, not really. But I wont go nice.
Oh, I'd say ham it up - particularly if the fellow is being a lech.

For me, RPing sexual situations has always been a weak point of mine. They don't usually come up in D&D (except for this one player...) but I give it the ol' college try whenever they do.

...in fact, my poor acting may have something to do with the dearth of such situations in my games :smalltongue:

Ernir
2009-12-27, 03:42 AM
I suggest you ask the girls what kind of a campaign they want. Girls come from all corners of the Stormwind plane, just like boys do. Really :smalltongue:

(Oh, and if a sexy RP is what you all want to do, by all means go for it. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with it, it just makes lots of people uncomfortable.)

I am subscribing to this thread in the expectation that you will... elaborate... on this post.
Grand idea. :smallbiggrin:

Lioness
2009-12-27, 03:43 AM
Oh, I'd say ham it up - particularly if the fellow is being a lech.

Unfortunately our resident lech is away for this campaign...overseas holiday.

Otherwise I'd be in no doubt about doing it.

But the other guys are all nice.

Optimystik
2009-12-27, 03:47 AM
If they're on board for BoEF go nuts; I have to say I'd be somewhat surprised if none of them feel the slightest bit uncomfortable with a sexual game, but you're all adults.

Well broski, here's the dizzle. I'm currently DMing a group that consists of all girls, plus one fairly effeminate bisexual guy. So, for our purposes here, all girls.

Broski, here's the dizzle: There's worlds of difference between women and bisexual men, even the effeminate ones. Mind being a little less cavalier in future?

Maelstrom
2009-12-27, 04:57 AM
...but if one of them decides to visit a woman of negotiable affection overnight, I'm not going to hide it. In fact, I'll probably ask if he wants to make a perform check, and laugh if he fails :smalltongue:

See here, as a player I would ask that GM would roll a perform check for the "negotiable affection" or withhold partial payment...

;)

Triaxx
2009-12-27, 05:17 AM
Maelstrom: So, you want to RP GTA?

Wolfgang: Unless this is their first session, and since they're letting you use the BoEF, it's obviously not, then female players are no different than their male counterparts. Perhaps a tad more inclined to hear you out before throwing their dice at you, but that's about it.

Seriously, I've never had a problem and never played any different than the guys and it's worked out fine. Interestingly though, I've never had one of my female players respond to 'The merchant wishes to barter' with 'Roll for Initiative.'

Zaydos
2009-12-27, 06:09 AM
Interestingly though, I've never had one of my female players respond to 'The merchant wishes to barter' with 'Roll for Initiative.'

I've never had anyone do that. But I've had a female player whose answer to you come upon a town was "let's burn it." She's the only player I've ever had whose response to most stimuli was "let's kill it." Then again she burbed louder than anyone else we knew so... Yeah the other girls I played with wouldn't... except the one that's response to seeing another PC that had just helped fight a common enemy was "I shoot it with splinterbolt."

Honestly I haven't noticed it matters. But I'm pretty oblivious anyway.

DabblerWizard
2009-12-27, 11:08 AM
When I DMd a campaign post-college, a majority of my players were female. 3 to 2 female to male, plus me. I was friends or friendly acquaintances with all of the players.

The girls in the group didn't have any unique expectations or gender-based requirements just because they were female OOC. The guys enjoyed roleplay as much as the girls, and it came to be understood that no one wanted a heavily sexually explicit game. Everyone also played characters that had the same gender as the player who created them.

It wouldn't have been a problem if players had wanted to play opposite sexed characters. We're a rather open minded group overall.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-27, 11:18 AM
Broski, here's the dizzle: There's worlds of difference between women and bisexual men, even the effeminate ones. Mind being a little less cavalier in future?

Oh, I just KNEW I was going to catch hell for that.

Excuse me whilst I PM you.

Rhiannon87
2009-12-27, 11:26 AM
I'd say treat it the same way you would a game of all guys or mixed men and women... just, you know, pitch a game idea and ask for characters? I really don't see why this is an issue at all. My group is mixed male/female, we have two male DMs and me all running campaigns, and we treat everyone pretty much the same. We're a heavy roleplay group where relationships are important, but we don't really focus on it... the most that happens is one character making a comment about going off to check out the new brothel run by dopplegangers or me saying that my character is hauling her boyfriend off to the nearest inn for some alone time, but we sure as hell aren't busting out BoEF. You can have plenty of quality roleplay, even with romantic relationships, without it having to be explicitly sexual.

Now, if that's actively what they want, then go for it... it just seemed like from some of the posts that the assumption was "girl players = must do sexy game", which I certainly hope is an incorrect assumption.

Grommen
2009-12-27, 11:47 AM

DOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!

Na you'll be ok. I would not play this any different than a normal campaign, till you find out what the individual players are looking to get out of this. Then taylor your game to it.

My groups are kinda like the Ocean, a little blue. Any women that show up, and that has never been many, well...Their rather blue too, so we all get along. I don't think it's a male vs female thing I think it's about getting a group of at least like minded people together to play.

Aldizog
2009-12-27, 01:01 PM
A friend and I ran two NPC's for a DM who ran an all-female game some years back. In his world, men were extremely rare and coveted and women ruled the world Amazonia fashion...I'm sure you can see where this is going. It was a little over the top, but the women gamers liked it, so w/e. I had to build for one session, according to the DM, a male specimen that the ladies had to defend, even though they hate my guts.
Tell me you've seen "Hell Comes to Frogtown."

Deepblue706
2009-12-27, 03:51 PM
A PbP game I'm running is slowly being overrun by women.

What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. Don't be a gnocchi and presume women belong to an exclusive club and require "special attention" or any of that nonsense.

Yes, I did just call you a gnocchi.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-12-27, 04:13 PM

Bad. Idea.

Try running a political scene game, where the players challenges are less about actual combat and more about finding which political skeletons are where and who is about to exhume them for their advantage.

Also, Horror works very well. You can run a good Horror game with little hack n slash and heavy on the drama and creepy. Trying to find out what is going on with x, knowing that direct combat with the Big Bad isn't going to work, and trying to figure out what to do to survive.

I would also *highly* suggest reading some of the Swords and Sorceresses anthologies edited by M.Z.Bradley. Every story written about female protagonists, mostly by female authors, in a high-fantasy setting. Heck, Mercedes Lackey got her start there, with what eventually became the first couple chapters of Oathbound.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-27, 04:18 PM
Bad. Idea.
Why would you say this? His players are all for this kind of campaign - it's not like he said "Hello ladies. Roll up some whores, we're playin' Pimps 'n Prostitutes" or something :smalltongue:

archon_huskie
2009-12-27, 04:50 PM
Sociologically speaking, gender is a role that people play. Gender specifically is an expected role that society applies to a person based on their physical sex. Not everyone follows what society expects them to do, especially when society is making generalized assumptions.

God that sounded like something I'd write for a essay!

Avoid reasoning like "The players will want X rather than Y because they are girls." Rather remember that your goal is to run a game that your players enjoy. Be open to feedback (When are we going to get to combat?) and be willing to adapt.

Also don't do anything that would embarass your wife.

Coidzor
2009-12-27, 05:00 PM
Why would you say this? His players are all for this kind of campaign - it's not like he said "Hello ladies. Roll up some whores, we're playin' Pimps 'n Prostitutes" or something :smalltongue:

Well, whether or not they suggested it or are all for it in theory does not really do much to countermand the whole idea that BoEF sex games are just a bad idea in general and/or in and of themselves.

This is a fairly commonly held belief, after all, almost to the point of being a cultural taboo.

Yes, I did just call you a gnocchi.

We are intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :smallamused:

Thurbane
2009-12-27, 05:13 PM
Wait, there are female players now?

Amphetryon
2009-12-27, 05:33 PM
Just remember that girls are people and you've DMed for people before, and you'll do fine.THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE TO REMEMBER. ahem.

Kaun
2009-12-27, 05:37 PM
As far as I can tell, the ladies I am going to game with are going to be more focused on drama and story then simple hack and slash, which is honestly why I'm so excited to run an all female group.

Have you double checked this because some of the lasses i have DM'ed and played with over the years were the most hack and slash driven players i have ever played with.

One of them was convinced if she couldnt solve a problem with a sword point or fire then she simply needed a bigger sword or more fire!

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-27, 05:56 PM
One of them was convinced if she couldnt solve a problem with a sword point or fire then she simply needed a bigger sword or more fire!
Did you ever suggest she invest in a gigantic flaming sword? :smalltongue:

RandomNPC
2009-12-27, 08:49 PM
^Huzzah on the giant flaming sword idea.

i have to seccond (third? fourth?) the idea that they are just people, and require game like all other people. I've only had a few girl gamers, but they game just like everyone else.

But kuddos on the BoEF, don't take it to far on day one though.

taltamir
2009-12-27, 08:54 PM
1. I have never had a gaming group that did not have at least one girl. usually more than one... although, my current one recently lost its girl, so we are all male now :(
2. I have never noticed the girls gamers to like anything different... to begin with, they are gamer girls, not exactly the stereotypical girls...
3. It has been suggested that you ask them what they want, this sounds like a good idea.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-12-27, 08:56 PM
I've gamed with lots of different women over the years, and I'm running a campaign that is 1/3 female at the moment. In my experience, female gamers cover the same spectrum as males. Some of them want pure hack 'n' slash, some want a more social game, some want a balanced game, one that I played with basically wanted to spend the whole campaign shopping. Another one derided the males for spending the whole campaign shopping (this was a 3.5 game) for magic items with their WBL.

Best thing to do is get to know all your players before running a game, to assess their needs and desires for the game. The behavior of female gamers as a whole is less important than the behavior of the particular female gamers for whom you are going to be DM'ing..

Hawk7915
2009-12-27, 09:44 PM
My playgroup had two female gamers in it for a while. In terms of playstyle it was the opposite of what one might expect: one of them (my roommate) was actually probably the most bloodthirsty, combat-driven player I've ever seen. She infamously, after three hours of intrigue and exposition, zoned out and then said aloud "whatever, I stab him" without knowing the context of the situation (we were surrounded by 100 guards and trying to do things peacefully)...yeah, that nearly got her killed.

One thing that was true for both of the girls I gamed with (and this obviously may not generalize to all female gamers everywhere forever) is that they both liked shorter "TV episode" campaign sessions. If we went for more than 2 hours they got bored, starting drinking/talking/playing on their computer/texting and gave up on the game. So if you normally play marathon 4+ hour sessions, you might want to talk to your group first.

Triaxx
2009-12-27, 10:32 PM
Yes, well, I have players who think that bartering involves: You offer me stuff, and I kill you and take what you offered and anything else your body yields.

Or that the merchants life is their most valuable bargaining chip.

Lyth
2009-12-28, 06:06 PM
Usually, we don't want special treatment...in fact, most of get fed up with those who insist that we should. Treat us like you would any of your male players, and you'll be fine. There's no need to tip-toe around certain issues - single us out if the plot demands it, not because the player behind the character is "special" In one campaign where I was the only female in a party of 8 guys, I cornered the DM because he told me after a session that he had changed the plot line last minute, thinking I'd be too offended to have the villain hold my cleric for ransom in exchange for the MacGuffin.

All in all, we're the same as you - some of us like hack and slash, some of us like pure roleplay, some of us are into the sexual stuff, some of us are a mixture of all the above and more - the only difference between you and me is that I'll probably kill the guy sitting next to me if he tries to sneak his hand into my box of chocolate covered pretzels once a month.

BloodyAngel
2009-12-28, 06:45 PM
My standard group consists of three girls and one boy. On the one hand, women ARE different than men and it's nice that you're trying harder to appeal to them. On the other hand, we're not aliens. Ask them what kind of game they want to play, and run it like you would for a group of male friends who said the same. The best way to avoid any uncomfortable problems in a game with sexual themes is to limit yourself to harmless flirting and let the girls be the ones to guide that part along.

My group is more open-minded than most would be, I'm sure. One of the girls is my fiance's ex-girlfriend, though we're all good friends. We're all pretty unrestrained, as well as giant pervs. Don't forget to make yourself known if they make YOU uncomfortable too. I know you're a guy and all, but it could happen.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must return to playing my elven cleric of sharess. :smallwink:

Volos
2009-12-28, 09:17 PM

While I've never been in a situation similar to this (all-girl groups, yes; explicitly sexual as well, no) I think Fhaolan's advice should be heeded.

My current campain is more disturbing then anything I could have ever expected to be running past, present, or future. My girlfriend's Uncle is playing a pansexual Goliath Barbarian 7 / Bear Warrior 1 who likes to rage in bear form when having his nightly orgies (which he pays full price and tips heavily for). His son is playing a extremely straight Human Rogue 8 who has his waterskin full of booze instead of water, fails every Fort save, and is currently cheating and lieing to his Aristocrat girlfriend. (She doesn't know he is a rogue or that he is sleeping with other women) My girlfriend's aunt is playing a Elf Sorceror 8 who is always smoking weed, no matter what the situation. Rest at the Inn? Smoke break. Giant dragon ripping a portal to the plane of shadow? Smoke break. Character at -5 HP? Smoke break! My girlfriend is playing an Avarial Bard 8 who combinds Perform String Instruments, Singing, Dance, and Sexual to do some crazy sort of pole dance, where the Goliath is her bodyguard just incase anyone in the audience gets a little too interested. Basically the party's main ways of handling challenges is 'set it on fire', '**** it', 'set it on fire again', 'pulverize it', then '**** it again'. Rinse, repeat.

Rhiannon87
2009-12-28, 09:39 PM
One thing that was true for both of the girls I gamed with (and this obviously may not generalize to all female gamers everywhere forever) is that they both liked shorter "TV episode" campaign sessions. If we went for more than 2 hours they got bored, starting drinking/talking/playing on their computer/texting and gave up on the game. So if you normally play marathon 4+ hour sessions, you might want to talk to your group first.

Heh, see, I'm the opposite-- I'm the one who's up for 12-hour D&D all-nighters. Majority of my group is good with 4 - 6 hours, and one of the guys (one of the rotating DMs, sadly) tends to get burned out bad after 4 or 5 hours.

My current campain is more disturbing then anything I could have ever expected to be running past, present, or future. My girlfriend's Uncle is playing a pansexual Goliath Barbarian 7 / Bear Warrior 1 who likes to rage in bear form when having his nightly orgies (which he pays full price and tips heavily for). His son is playing a extremely straight Human Rogue 8 who has his waterskin full of booze instead of water, fails every Fort save, and is currently cheating and lieing to his Aristocrat girlfriend. (She doesn't know he is a rogue or that he is sleeping with other women) My girlfriend's aunt is playing a Elf Sorceror 8 who is always smoking weed, no matter what the situation. Rest at the Inn? Smoke break. Giant dragon ripping a portal to the plane of shadow? Smoke break. Character at -5 HP? Smoke break! My girlfriend is playing an Avarial Bard 8 who combinds Perform String Instruments, Singing, Dance, and Sexual to do some crazy sort of pole dance, where the Goliath is her bodyguard just incase anyone in the audience gets a little too interested. Basically the party's main ways of handling challenges is 'set it on fire', '**** it', 'set it on fire again', 'pulverize it', then '**** it again'. Rinse, repeat.

Well then. Carry on with your sexy-themed all-girl game, my good sir, if that is indeed what your players want. You seem to have that area quite well covered.

Man, and I thought my game with the pansexual drunk cleric, the bi sorceress and her obnoxious bard boyfriend, and the burning sexual tension between the Holy Liberator and the Paladin was weird. >.<

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-28, 09:55 PM
Man, and I thought my game with the pansexual drunk cleric, the bi sorceress and her obnoxious bard boyfriend, and the burning sexual tension between the Holy Liberator and the Paladin was weird. >.<

Finding something weirder doesn't make it less weird. :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2009-12-28, 10:55 PM
One thing to remember is it's nice to have important female NPCs who shirk the normal gender roles. For example, the marine captain is a female. Maybe the bishop is a female. Put men in non-stereotypical roles too. It shouldn't be 100% of the time, but try to make about half of your badass melee types and powerful leaders female (rather than the usual male) while making sure that not all evil seducer-types are witches (some can be warlocks) and not all prostitutes are female.

Really, all DMs should try to mix it up like this regardless of the number of women in their group. After all, we're all decent, modern people who hate sexism right? But in a male group you can forget and it won't necessarily bother anybody. With women in the group, it is more appreciated to buck the usual stereotypes.

BloodyAngel
2009-12-29, 04:15 PM
Making everything gender-equal? That depends on the group as well. Two of the girls in my group, one of them being myself, get mildly annoyed if a supposedly sexist society is played as anything but. In a homebrew game where everything's made up, it's more than fine, but antagonists need conflict. As an example... a character of a female friend of mine was a woman from a very sexist country who wanted to be a knight... and had to disguise herself as a man to do it. She would have been quite miffed if the DM had said "Nah, scrap that idea... girls can totally be knights". Some people like to play the disadvantaged or the underdog. It's why Drizz't Du' Mary Sue has so many clones. Some people LIKE being socially disadvantaged. Not everyone though, so see what kinds of characters they come up with. Check their character's backgrounds, if any... that's usually a good clue.

I'd suggest rather that places run the range of sexism. Some are male-dominated, some female-dominated, and some are more neutral. What's more, as I'm weird and like to mess with expectations, I'd avoid making the nicest seeming ones actually nice. Perhaps the "gender neutral" place is a militaristic dictatorship dead set on expansionism, and the gender neutral tendencies is because the people in power don't see a reason to exclude half their population from the army. Or different organizations can be flavored differently. Perhaps the church of a powerful goddess are very sexist towards men by tradition, and only women can gain high rank... but as a result, this means that it's common for noble families to send their daughters to the church and their sons are left behind to play politics... leading to a male-dominated aristocracy butting heads with a female-dominated church. Make the setting deep and interesting enough, and as long as everyone is into it... you should be fine.

The best suggestion is still just to talk to your players and find out what they want in your game. Us crazy women aren't that hard to run for, really. Let us know how it does too... I'm quite curious.

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-29, 04:30 PM

This is going to be how I start my next game. Considering there is only one girl in that group, this should be hilarious.

I think a lot of people are assuming the OP hasn't asked what kind of games his players want...he's made it clear that they're on board for BoEF (why, I'm not sure, as it doesn't actually add anything worthwhile to the game and mostly just features nude shots of unattractive men and women in compromising positions and sub-par feats/prcs/skills. I mean really, did we need Perform (Sexual Acts)? It seems like the most unnecessary splatbook ever created. On the flipside, that skill = BEST BARD EVER. I wonder if I could pull that off with a dervish...), so it seems likely he knows what kind of game they're looking for and what type of players they are.

Beyond that, the gender of your gamers is completely irrelevant. What your gamers want to play is what you should give them. Just because they have boobs or a nutsack doesn't mean you need special advice for dealing with them.

tribble
2009-12-29, 04:42 PM
keep us posted on this, I will be following with chocolate caramel popcorn I bought off the boy scouts.

MMM... Popcorn.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-29, 05:09 PM
I would agree with the previous advice to avoid the BoEF. This isn't because it's an all female group....it's because it's a terrible book. Seriously, it manages to be as un-fun, boring, and messily put together as possible. There might be some redeeming aspect of it I've missed, but I didn't see anything worth building a campaign around.

Lioness
2009-12-29, 05:12 PM
I agree somewhat with BloodyAngel. As a female player, I'd be annoyed if suddenly girls were allowed to do everything guys were. It wasn't how it worked in a medieval-type society.

Despite this, if it were being played realistically, I'd be at home in the kitchen rather than being a wizard, killing things.

The society our DM has got has been pretty gender-neutral. Most female characters have tended to be diplomats, ship captains, or other non-fighting NPCs, but there are some that fight. Still, he warns me that if I go into a tavern by myself, I must just attract unwelcome attention.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-29, 05:28 PM
Slightly off-topic: in my game I have one player that is upset that the world is so heteronormative. Specifically when "he" (the PC) makes a pass at anything that moves, it is only the women who respond favorably.
On one hand, I expect medieval fantasy worlds to be, at least superficially, heteronormative - any homosexuals (or other "unattractive" sexualities) are going to be outside the mainstream. On the other hand, I don't have many homosexual (or bi-, for that matter) NPCs running around... but that's mainly because sexuality is not prominent in my campaigns, period.

On the gripping hand, I do have a relatively gender-neutral approach to NPCs - "planned" NPCs are often consciously drafted against gender stereotype for either their class (e.g. Female Fighters) or their role (e.g. Melee, as opposed to ranged, Female Warriors). I do stick on traditional gender lines for more spontaneous characters - mook fighters are almost always male, as are most people in charge of "manly" jobs. Females cast out-of-role are usually highlighted as being unusual in this respect - not overtly, but more covertly.

I'm pretty happy with my system, of course, but I do worry about becoming stale (too many cliches) and not listening to my players' desires.
Anyhoo, just some thinking-out-loud.

Shademan
2009-12-29, 06:54 PM

*all teary eyed*
I salute you and I congratukate you.

tribble
2009-12-29, 11:38 PM
Slightly off-topic: in my game I have one player that is upset that the world is so heteronormative. Specifically when "he" (the PC) makes a pass at anything that moves, it is only the women who respond favorably.

Anyhoo, just some thinking-out-loud.

The Real World tends to be "heteronormative". If you meet a completely new person, odds are, they're straight, and straight people are never going to have a positive response to homosexual flirtation. the best he can hope for is "sorry, I'm straight."

Grumman
2009-12-29, 11:54 PM
Clearly the solution is to make the women respond unfavourably as well. There, problem solved!

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-30, 12:02 AM
Clearly the solution is to make the women respond unfavourably as well. There, problem solved!
Well, to be fair the only women "he" hits on are whores... and since he's a Tiefling, most do respond unfavorably.

Lycan 01
2009-12-30, 03:47 AM
I've got two two girls in my group, and they're also two of my best players. One of them is my girlfriend, the other is a friend of ours. In regards to mature content... My girlfriend has a tendancy to rape things. With her male anthro-wolf shifter. It horrified the party at first, but now its a running gag. They had to beg her not to rape the first dragon they killed...

I've actually got a bit of a trap laid for my players if they ever try to dabble in mature content.

Basically, there will be a flirtatious barmaid, and anybody who plays their cards right will be invited upstairs to join her for some fun. I'll then proceed to start passing notes with the player in question, asking them to make various rolls and asking questions like "Did you take your armor off? Are you drinking? Are you on top or bottom? Are you willing to let her tie you up?"

I won't bother to mention she's a Doppleganger assassin until they're Helpless and she performs a Coup De Grace on them. :smallbiggrin: What do ya'll think? Good idea, or too terrible of a trick or content?

Of course, while that is a funny idea and it would be a terrible twist to throw at my players... I'm not sure if my players are comfortable with such content yet. I'd hate for them to start wigging out because of the notes or something... Plus, they might get pissed off at me for such a mean trick. But man, I want to see their reaction when the hot barmaid shifts into a freaky looking creature and pulls a knife from under the mattress while grinning insanely. :smalltongue:

Then again, I've been disturbed by other players in another group once, since one player decided he wanted to do the nasty with a nun before he died in a zombie outbreak. :smalleek:

dsmiles
2009-12-30, 08:59 AM
You may manage to get more participation out of the females in an all-female group than I got in a mixed-gender group. The two females I had in my group tended to sit back and talk about their gender-neutral-anime-dolls, until it was their turn. Then everybody would stop and stare until we got a slightly embarrassed, "Oh, is it my turn again?"

Lost Demiurge
2009-12-30, 09:39 AM
Eh, just run it like you would a regular game. Adapt to their playstyles, try different things, and figure out what they like through trial and error.

One of my most hackn'slashy players is a woman. So's one of my best plotters and planners. People are people, regardless of what's under the hood.

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-30, 10:30 AM
One of my most hackn'slashy players is a woman.

Same here. I'm actually struggling to keep her from disliking the game I'm running because I'm a little more RP-oriented. Meanwhile, her big, tough, I'm-all-macho boyfriend keeps sidetracking us to talk to people and inspire them with the joyous words of Pelor or trying to club the party necromancer in the head.

Another_Poet
2009-12-30, 10:55 AM
The Real World tends to be "heteronormative". If you meet a completely new person, odds are, they're straight, and straight people are never going to have a positive response to homosexual flirtation. the best he can hope for is "sorry, I'm straight."

I dunno. I'm a heterosexual male, and the few times I've been hit on my homosexual males I felt mildly flattered.

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-30, 11:27 AM
I dunno. I'm a heterosexual male, and the few times I've been hit on my homosexual males I felt mildly flattered.

Yes, but presumably not flattered enough to say "Sweet, let's go bang."

jiriku
2009-12-30, 11:29 AM
My experiences with female gamers is that they're typically less interested in roleplay and more into rolling dice and hack'n'slash, but that may be colored by the fact that most of the female gamers I know are more casual players who were drawn into the hobby because their boyfriends or husbands were serious gamers. But people tend to vary a lot, so YMMV.