PDA

View Full Version : Concert Etiquette

Phae Nymna
2009-12-27, 03:42 PM
Of all things strange and exclusive, music top the list.

Moreso, the fanatical followings of different groups can be puzzling and intimidating. Which brings me to th crux of the problem:

I have absolutely no idea how to behave at a concert with the purpose of having fun. No idea. At all.

This is pertinent to my agenda, as tonight I will be at a Lady Gaga concert that be rolling through town.

Additionally, throw in YOUR favorite concert stories.
Please.

DraPrime
2009-12-27, 03:48 PM
Of all things strange and exclusive, music top the list.

Moreso, the fanatical followings of different groups can be puzzling and intimidating. Which brings me to th crux of the problem:

I have absolutely no idea how to behave at a concert with the purpose of having fun. No idea. At all.

This is pertinent to my agenda, as tonight I will be at a Lady Gaga concert that be rolling through town.

Additionally, throw in YOUR favorite concert stories.
Please.

Well this really depends on the genre of music that's gonna be played.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-27, 04:27 PM
Well this really depends on the genre of music that's gonna be played.
Lady GaGa.

If your concert is anything like a Rihanna concert I went to once (haven't been to any other pop music ones) there will be three groups of people there. Screaming teenage fangirls (grr :smallfurious:), people who are there but don't want to be (e.g. boyfriends of screaming teenage fangirls) and people who are there because they like the singer. The last group will be split into two categories - the first one will sit down and watch the concert and the second one will dance. I'm guessing you want to be in the very last group.

So.. act the same way as if you were in a nightclub but do mind how you dance with girls because most are probably sober.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-27, 04:40 PM
Oh yay, sitting down is acceptable! I'm not really the dancing type, though some of my friends are for sure.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-27, 04:55 PM
Don't be these guys, and you should be okay.

http://questionablecontent.net/comics/16.png

Depending on the genre, number three is alright, but only if other people are doing it (and Lady Gaga doesn't seem like the right genre for that)

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-27, 05:11 PM
When it comes to concert etiquette, experience has taught me that starting a mosh pit is always the correct answer. Always.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-27, 07:20 PM
Hopefully tine words of wisdom will serve me well. I am off to Electric Gaga Land!

Decoy Lockbox
2009-12-27, 08:31 PM
When it comes to concert etiquette, experience has taught me that starting a mosh pit is always the correct answer. Always.

Somehow I doubt moshing would be appreciated at a Lady Gaga concert. Heck, I've been to a few metal shows where moshing would have been inappropriate. At a Therion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI) concert, the majority of the crowd were sweater-wearing intellectual types who would likely snap in half at the faintest sight of moshery. Great music though.

Subnormality presents "The 16 people you see at a rock show" (http://www.viruscomix.com/page438.html)

valadil
2009-12-27, 08:50 PM
Heck, I've been to a few metal shows where moshing would have been inappropriate.

Metal is surprisingly un-moshy. I think punk is where the mosh happens. The most moshable concerts I've seen have been Flogging Molly and The Offspring (back before they were filthy rich).

Anyway, if you wanna mosh it's easy to find the pit. If you don't, avoid it. Standing near the edge is kinda fun, but asking for trouble. The front row usually has the most obnoxious fans. If you're going to be irritated by squealing fan girls, ignore the front row.

Feel free to sit, but don't expect the people in front of you to sit too. Since you're seeing Lady Gaga, I'm guessing the crowd will be young, so other people probably won't be sitting.

Not really etiquette, but I highly recommend wearing a hoodie. Concerts are warm, and a hooded sweatshirt tied around the waist eliminates the need to check your coat.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-28, 12:32 AM
I danced, I sat, I jumped, I screamed, I sang along...

I AM A MONSTER

Boo
2009-12-28, 12:35 AM
KILL THE MONSTER!

...as politely as possible.

Kneenibble
2009-12-28, 12:43 AM
I move that we debrief the Admirability!

(Little do they know, our hero doesn't wear briefs!)

So the concert etiquette was pretty laissez-faire, then? How is that fabulous strumpet live?

DraPrime
2009-12-28, 12:44 AM
Metal is surprisingly un-moshy. I think punk is where the mosh happens. The most moshable concerts I've seen have been Flogging Molly and The Offspring (back before they were filthy rich).

What's this silly blasphemy?

Otogi
2009-12-28, 12:50 AM
This can also help a bunch. (http://www.cracked.com/article_17523_7-obnoxious-*******s-who-show-up-at-every-concert.html) Avoid these people at all cost.

Xyk
2009-12-28, 01:11 AM
Dude, Flogging Molly was perfect for moshing. That was the most fun I ever had at a concert.

Admiral, good job, acting naturally is the right thing to do. Go with the flow, bro.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-28, 01:21 AM
I move that we debrief the Admirability!

(Little do they know, our hero doesn't wear briefs!)

So the concert etiquette was pretty laissez-faire, then? How is that fabulous strumpet live?

She was sex.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-28, 01:27 AM
It looks like its not needed, but next time you need to go to a concert and you do not know how to behave, look no further than the Concert Etiquette Rap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytiDEan_WKc)*

*Shadow apologizes if that YouTube video is the wrong song - he cannot use sound right now, so he could not verify it.

Faulty
2009-12-28, 03:31 AM
On stands perfectly still in the middle of the room, holding a beer, and standing passively at the stage. Bobbing your head or tapping your foot to the beat is acceptable but not encouraged.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-28, 03:37 AM
I was going to mosh at Dropkick Murphys, despite being probably half the size and half as drunk as most people there, but I went with some friends, so we hung around near the bar and the bottleneck out of the 18+ area. This is perfectly acceptable, because you can still dance, sing, scream and drink while also engaging in the hilarious act of people watching. We made so many "friends" that night.

Anyway, the point is, don't be a jerk, and you'll find most concerts to be pretty much do what you want. This is mostly for punk concerts, but I imagine dancy-pop concerts to be the same attitude (but with probably less people smoking)

skywalker
2009-12-28, 03:38 AM
Somehow I doubt moshing would be appreciated at a Lady Gaga concert. Heck, I've been to a few metal shows where moshing would have been inappropriate. At a Therion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI) concert, the majority of the crowd were sweater-wearing intellectual types who would likely snap in half at the faintest sight of moshery. Great music though.

Subnormality presents "The 16 people you see at a rock show" (http://www.viruscomix.com/page438.html)

Great link.

In response to your previous paragraph, does the fact that half the crowd is averse to moshing make moshing inappropriate? Because I would think that one does not preclude the other. I am never, never surprised at a pit/mosh/whatever at any concert, unless it's a classical/jazz/whatever concert. I mean, they can be unexpected, but really, you're at a concert. It can happen. I tend to just go with the flow, altho as I've gotten older (yeah, 21, I'm ancient), I've become more and more likely to sit down since I find I can enjoy the music just as well that way. Alas.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-28, 06:46 AM
The last concert I remember going to was Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour. That doesn't sound right. Surely I've been to something since then...:smallconfused:

Exeson
2009-12-28, 09:48 AM
Proper metal is not really moshing music. Punk, harder rock, metalcore, dubstep-esque etc are moshing music. Although having said that the best pits I have been in were at Punk Ska concerts.

But yes, it very much depends on the concert. If you are not sure just stand for a bit and see what other people do, even within the same genre different bands have different ways of doing things.

Also, not matter what or where: Always pick someone up! Always!

valadil
2009-12-28, 10:08 AM
What's this silly blasphemy?

That's just what I've seen at the concerts I've been to. Maybe they were anomolies? I saw Slayer open for Marylin Manson and I didn't get shoved once. When I saw Offspring I got tripped and pushed under the mosh pit. That kinda sucked.

My sample size is low and the concerts I've been to have all been around Boston. Maybe it's different elsewhere?

Moff Chumley
2009-12-28, 11:57 AM
I saw TV On The Radio. Wasn't a full-blown mosh, but it definitely leaned in that direction. That was easily the best concert I've ever seen... :smallcool:

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-28, 12:29 PM
depends on the show

i've been to shows where i've not cared about other people in a very "punk rock" way, and done some damage without any regret or remorse... hey, sometimes a crowd of people just have to be walked on ok?

i've also been to shows where i've happily sat on a church pew and listened quietly and happily

Syka
2009-12-28, 01:05 PM
While I love being in the Pit (I did so at a festival type deal, that had bands like Lacuna Coil, Rob Zombie, etc as well as for Blind Guardian), I think I prefer the balcony seating (which is what I did for Offspring).

Don't get me wrong- there is NOTHING like being in the Pit. It's incredibly fun and you can get away with just about anything from dancing to moshing to whatever the heck. You literally feel the pulse of the crowd. What I preferred about the balcony is actually getting to enjoy the show and the music and STILL rock out. Pl

Funniest moment:
J: *looks down at the Pit at the Offspring concert* Wow...most these kids haven't been alive as long as Offsprings been around. *laughter from all of us ensues*

The next day:
Me: *checks Wiki*...omg, Oz? Guess what?
Oz: What?
Me: Only A and J were alive before Offspring began...the rest of us are younger, too. *lolz ensue as I text this info to J*

Also, Offspring, despite being about 20 years older than Sum 41, still kicked their butts. :smallbiggrin:

I need to see Lacuna Coil and Zombie live again, too. *sigh* I miss concerts.

ETA: Seeing a kid hop onto stage with The Offspring and get body checked by a security guy who beelined it across the stage (this dude was FAST) was pretty priceless, too. No one I was with saw where the guard had come from. He wasn't there and then...he was. *snicker*

Pyrian
2009-12-28, 01:31 PM
Also, Offspring, despite being about 20 years older than Sum 41, still kicked their butts. :smallbiggrin:A couple decades of practice pays off. :smallcool:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-12-29, 12:28 AM
Great link.

In response to your previous paragraph, does the fact that half the crowd is averse to moshing make moshing inappropriate? Because I would think that one does not preclude the other. I am never, never surprised at a pit/mosh/whatever at any concert, unless it's a classical/jazz/whatever concert. I mean, they can be unexpected, but really, you're at a concert. It can happen. I tend to just go with the flow, altho as I've gotten older (yeah, 21, I'm ancient), I've become more and more likely to sit down since I find I can enjoy the music just as well that way. Alas.

I think the rule is that 2 people slamming into each other is stupid, and three is the minimum size for a mosh. So in your question regarding 50% mosh disprovable, if there were at least 6 people at the concert, moshing is approved. Else, not approved.

I'm 22 myself, and I'm starting to find that I enjoy listening to the music more than moshing. But if the song gets really crazy, or is about moshing, then mosh I shall.

Proper metal is not really moshing music. Punk, harder rock, metalcore, dubstep-esque etc are moshing music. Although having said that the best pits I have been in were at Punk Ska concerts.

But yes, it very much depends on the concert. If you are not sure just stand for a bit and see what other people do, even within the same genre different bands have different ways of doing things.

Also, not matter what or where: Always pick someone up! Always!

I havn't listened to all that much dubstep, but I can't imagine people moshing to it. Do you have any good examples of moshable dubstep?

The Extinguisher
2009-12-29, 02:38 AM
I havn't listened to all that much dubstep, but I can't imagine people moshing to it. Do you have any good examples of moshable dubstep?

People mosh to anything. I've seen people moshing to ballads before.

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-29, 11:20 AM
should be noted - the definition of a "mosh pit" varies from genre to genre as well

on an unrelated note: i think the lamest thing in the world is when one person is DESPERATE to "get the pit started" but just won't take the hint that no one else is interested... they just end up looking like a jerk running round shoving people. Not cool. Sometimes people just wanna rock out without being pushed in the back every 10 seconds by the same. Of course the reverse of that is, if EVERYONE is chucking themselves about, don't be a whinge bag if you get knocked into. Don't like it? go stand at the back captain buzzkill

on a further unrelated note: pick your timing right and novelty costumes can be a winner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiUVQbiZy2w&feature=related
and because botch had brilliant dance floor rules:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azXZheuZkfg&feature=PlayList&p=CC2D2FF5DC77F24D&index=0&ftm=18
at times its also acceptable to treat your audience as a play thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

when punk rock goes right... its SO right

Catch
2009-12-29, 12:58 PM
Since the subject of moshing has grabbed the lion's share of the conversation, this is as good occasion as any to mention a little pit etiquette (especially getting thrown around like ragdoll isn't your thing.)

Basically, a mosh pit is an uncontrolled game of bumper cars, sans the protective vehicles. Plus, you're not supposed to drive when you're drunk.

If a pit opens up around you, step to the side to escape. Pushing toward the stage is usually difficult, considering how people value their proximity to the band, and heading back means it'll be even harder to get to where you were.

When you're on the edge of a pit, it't common for people to get thrown into you. Push them back in (don't be gentle), but if the person seems like they're trying to get out, let them pass. It's easy to tell who "belongs" in a pit and who's been trapped. Gentlemen, you form the "walls" of the pit so the ladies in the crowd aren't bowled over by the clumsy trajectory of some belligerent. Take a strong stance, and be prepared to intercept anyone who might be hurtling your way.

Also, if someone falls near you, immediately help them up. Most shows are dark and moshers aren't paying attention to their feet, so someone who is knocked down should be hauled to their feet right away - it's easiest to grab them from under the shoulders and pull up. Make sure they're all right, and don't shove anyone back into the crowd who doesn't look like they want to go.

It follows with helping people up that if anyone should drop something (shoes, glasses, keys) and you see the item, grab it before some idiot crushes it and hold it up over your head, so the owner can see it. Glasses are ejected (and lost) pretty commonly, and if they skitter near you, try and keep the people around you from stepping on them before you can pick 'em up. I've lost mine several times at a show, and it's a huge relief when someone finds your glasses instead of grinding them underfoot.