PDA

View Full Version : So...this is the red circle everyone goes on about?

Somebloke
2009-12-27, 04:39 PM
My girlfiriend (got bless the woman and her willingness to play L4D2 for hours with me) bought me Dragon Age: Origins for Christmas.

Finally sat down to play it today...only to get a red circle (all 4 ring 'parts') on my xbox.

So of course I removed my AV cord and plugged it back in. Then switched to the spare one I got when I got my xbox, as per offical microsoft instructions.

Nada.

So this means that I have to take it back to the store where (Hopefully) they will honour a warranty on a second hand xbox console.

I just want to say....

****!:smallfurious:

Somebloke
2009-12-27, 04:40 PM
....and to top it off, I posted in the wrong forum. Brilliant.

Hat-Trick
2009-12-27, 04:40 PM
Welcome to Microsoft, friend.

World Eater
2009-12-27, 04:51 PM
It's the Red Ring of Death you're talking about, yeah?
That's only 3/4 of the circle being red.
Still have fun with your problem.

oxybe
2009-12-27, 04:52 PM
Welcome to Microsoft, friend.

hardly a microsoft only thing though. sony's first gen hardware (not just systems, first gen anything) is famous for this.

heck, my roommate's PS3 needed to be sent in sometimes this summer. it happens.

at this point i've come to accept it as part of gaming life. thankfully my custom built PC rig is working fine with nary a hiccup :smallbiggrin:

term1nally s1ck
2009-12-27, 05:12 PM
All 4 is the AV cable. could be either it not bein plugged in properly or a problem with the AV port on the xbox.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-27, 05:16 PM
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/red-ring-of-death.jpg

Although the lights are in the wrong position. The lower-right one out while all the others are on equals death.

Somebloke
2009-12-29, 05:41 PM
Wow. So microsoft's solution is to hand out a brand-new 'refurbished' xbox to replace my second hand console.

I am really not complaining.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-29, 05:47 PM
you should be. They sucked and you did everything normal and sensible like and it didn't work like it should have done. how'd you think people would start acting if the car you bought last week suddenly started locking up when you put it into 5th gear on the motorway?

Random832
2009-12-29, 05:48 PM

Although the lights are in the wrong position. The lower-right one out while all the others are on equals death.

Are you sure? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xbox_360_Error_codes.png says it's upper right. It also says it stays the same regardless of how the console is positioned

But assuming that is the case, it would be the lower right if the xbox "thinks" it's on its side but is actually upright - or if a picture originally taken of it on its side is photoshopped to show it upright.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-29, 05:49 PM
how'd you think people would start acting if the car you bought last week suddenly started locking up when you put it into 5th gear on the motorway?

Where I live? They'd act very dead. Since they'd start a 10+ car pile up with each additional vehicle going 70+.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-29, 05:52 PM
Where I live? They'd act very dead. Since they'd start a 10+ car pile up with each additional vehicle going 70+.

and that would be a bad thing that would not be allowed. However when your OS goes kaflooey its ok because its high technology and weird ju-ju magic that occassionally breaks itself rather than a poorly put together piece of kit that you paid for in good faith.

ps. I've been in a high speed crash, it was horrible, scarey and taking a friend of mine to hospital in an ambulence wasn't fun, I don't mean to devalue nasty things just that when you pay for an OS you should be able to rely on it when you don't use it for anything beyound what it should be designed for.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-29, 06:56 PM
This guy had a problem with an AV cable, on a secondhand XBox. He got the problem fixed and his XBox prettied-up. My experience with Microsoft, as a casual user of Windows, has been nothing but satisfactory. How much of this anger is yours and how much is absorbed from the groupthink of the internet?

Arakune
2009-12-29, 07:00 PM
hardly a microsoft only thing though. sony's first gen hardware (not just systems, first gen anything) is famous for this.

at this point i've come to accept it as part of gaming life. thankfully my custom built PC rig is working fine with nary a hiccup :smallbiggrin:

Microsoft admited the Xbox360 have lots of problems. The sourse is from sankakucomplex.com (NSFW on many parts) but the actual article also have links to more trust worth sites.

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-29, 07:00 PM
This is why I prefer Nintendo. :P

Trixie
2009-12-29, 07:07 PM
and that would be a bad thing that would not be allowed. However when your OS goes kaflooey its ok because its high technology and weird ju-ju magic that occassionally breaks itself rather than a poorly put together piece of kit that you paid for in good faith.

Correction: you paid for 1/10 (or 1/50, actually) of the sum it would cost if enough resources were spent to fully test it in good faith.

Also, it would be on the market one (or five) years later. Take your pick.

Lappy9000
2009-12-29, 07:10 PM
This is why I prefer Nintendo. :PThis is true, in my book. Never had a single piece of Nintendo hardware that performed any less than swimmingly.

Edit: Case in Point (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-PwYuYz9k) :smallbiggrin:

RandomNPC
2009-12-29, 07:42 PM
the reason I don't buy first gen products (books an obvious exception) is they tend to not work. sony fixed the second gen PS1/2/3 issues, Xbox charged you up to three monts of your time, and nintendo dealt with any and all breakdowns calmly and quietly in comparison. Seriously, i don't think i've heard of a wii breakdown, i know they happen, but its just that rare.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-29, 07:47 PM
Correction: you paid for 1/10 (or 1/50, actually) of the sum it would cost if enough resources were spent to fully test it in good faith.

Also, it would be on the market one (or five) years later. Take your pick.
Exactly. The reason why products are bugged up sometimes, like here, is because that's a cost consumers are willing to pay. They're willing to buy sooner with the knowledge that there's risk involved, as opposed to buying later with little to no risk.

Temotei
2009-12-29, 07:49 PM
And then there are the people who didn't strap their controllers to their wrists and either broke the TV or their Wii. Definitely a system error. :smallbiggrin:

I dunno...why wouldn't you just pull over if your car broke down? It would be easy enough. Right signal...pull right (or left signal and pull left if you're not on the right side of the road)...call people.

Plus, you could just go back to fourth gear, if the transmission works from first to fourth. Just saying.

On the Xbox...yeah. It happens. My friend had it happen a few times.

Sintanan
2009-12-29, 07:57 PM
This is true, in my book. Never had a single piece of Nintendo hardware that performed any less than swimmingly.

Edit: Case in Point (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-PwYuYz9k) :smallbiggrin:

I did... once.

Small (okay whole) part of it being a family dog got tangled up in a loose cord (from prepping to swap TVs) and the dog panics, hauls *** out of there with the wii falling on the ground (~4 feet) and bouncing along in tow for ~30-40 feet before someone finally caught the beast.

It still worked with the game stuck in the drive... it was Brawl. Good times were had by all until new games came out that begged to be played. Sent in to Nintendo. Good times were had again two weeks later (the whole thing musta been replaced, 'cause there were no scratches or anything).

zoobob9
2009-12-29, 08:19 PM
my answer: LOOK FOR ANTS!!! my friend had this hapen to him, and he took apart his xbox 360 to look inside, and a colony of red ants was inside. he had the four segments too, and he had never heard of ALL four segments lit up at the same time.

Fendalus
2009-12-29, 08:32 PM
If I remember correctly, FOUR rings is a power supply problem, we had them show up on ours every time the power went out. It can also happen if something is interrupting the power flow, such as the power cord not begin fully connected or some foreign object being in the X-Box.

Three rings... It's dead Jim, call Microsoft and get it fixed.

Somebloke
2009-12-30, 12:28 PM
Mostlyharmful, I am not complaining because microsoft's response to this particular problem- that the xbox is apparently rubbish- was to build a better model and replace- at cost in my case, since my second-hand xbox was worth less than the replacement- all of the models causing trouble, within ten minutes (literally) of me reporting to the game store that I purchased it from that there was an issue.

I can fault them for building a problematic console but I cannot fault them for their solution.

Stegyre
2009-12-30, 12:37 PM
I'm in love. That was LOL hillarious. You just made my day.

LordZarth
2009-12-30, 01:54 PM
This guy had a problem with an AV cable, on a secondhand XBox. He got the problem fixed and his XBox prettied-up. My experience with Microsoft, as a casual user of Windows, has been nothing but satisfactory. How much of this anger is yours and how much is absorbed from the groupthink of the internet?

Ummmm...

SILENCE! Microsoft is awful!!! THIS GUY'S A CASE IN POINT! Look at him, BRUTALIZED by his XBox!! DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!!11 :smallwink:

Another_Poet
2009-12-30, 02:38 PM
Glad you got it fixed.

In case anyone doesn't know, there are 3 RRoD fixes that may get an XBox back from the grave. All three invalidate your warranty, so don't use them if you still have a warranty.

In order from dumbest to best:

1) The "wrap it up in towels and overheat it" method. May squeeze days or weeks out of your XBox before guaranteeing it will never work again.

2) The "open it up and change the bolts on the heat sink" method. I've gained a year of life out of a RRoD Xbox by doing this method myself and it's still going strong. It doesn't really fix the root problem - but if you're the sort who is more likely to get a dollar's worth of nuts and bolts from the hardware store than pull out a soldering iron, this is a good bet.

3) The "I'm so cool I can re-solder stuff on my Xbox method." If you can do this method you both impress and annoy me. More to the point, you can fix the actual problem and never see the RRoD again.

It is easy to google how-to's for any of these methods. Those x-clamps are a [expletive deleted] but it's not really hard overall.

Andras
2009-12-30, 03:05 PM

Yeah, there's been a bit of that going around.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ylod.html

TheSummoner
2009-12-30, 03:29 PM
I would like to take this chance to say that I still own my SNES, N64, Gamecube, and all of them still work. (Dad gave away the NES when I was too young to object... I'm still pissed at him for it.)

Oslecamo
2009-12-30, 03:51 PM
I would like to take this chance to say that I still own my SNES, N64, Gamecube, and all of them still work. (Dad gave away the NES when I was too young to object... I'm still pissed at him for it.)

This. Nintento seems to be the only gaming company that knows that people hate their systems crashing.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-30, 04:40 PM
This. Nintento seems to be the only gaming company that knows that people hate their systems crashing.

Indeed. Nintendo products are built to last. Shame about the Wii's games being terrible, though.

Oslecamo
2009-12-30, 04:43 PM
Indeed. Nintendo products are built to last. Shame about the Wii's games being terrible, though.

Don't make me beat you to death with Metroid Prime Trilogy/Super Mario Galaxy/TP/Brawl...

And hey, what do the other consoles have that I cannot get on the PC with better quality?

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-30, 04:46 PM
Don't make me beat you to death with Metroid Prime Trilogy/Super Mario Galaxy/TP/Brawl...

Well... MP 1/2, the ones I like more, are on the GCN. Galaxy is one of, if not, the only game I really like on the Wii. TP was decent, also on the Gamecube, but I really think OoT, MM, or Wind Waker were better. As for Brawl.. See Galaxy. It's more that I can name 50 terrible games for every game I like on the Wii.

I'm not saying Nintendo is a bad company. The DS still has a decent line up.

And hey, what do the other consoles have that I cannot get on the PC with better quality?

See the games you mentioned? :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2009-12-30, 05:59 PM
Well... MP 1/2, the ones I like more, are on the GCN.
Yes, but you can get all three for the price of one now, a fantastic bargain if you didn't own a GC.

Galaxy is one of, if not, the only game I really like on the Wii. TP was decent, also on the Gamecube, but I really think OoT, MM, or Wind Waker were better. As for Brawl.. See Galaxy. It's more that I can name 50 terrible games for every game I like on the Wii.

And I can name hundreds of trash games on the Xbox and PS3 as well, to just a few titles that would atract my atention.

Plus, you're not forced to buy the trash games, and the good Nintendo titles have some of the biggest replayability I've seen, with plenty of secrets to unlock. Only super open RPGs like Fallout beat them in this camp.

See the games you mentioned? :smalltongue:

Notice the "other consoles" part. I meant to say that the Wii and DS offer me gaming experiences that I cannot get on the PC, Xbox and PS3 do not.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-30, 06:34 PM
\
And I can name hundreds of trash games on the Xbox and PS3 as well, to just a few titles that would atract my atention.

Plus, you're not forced to buy the trash games, and the good Nintendo titles have some of the biggest replayability I've seen, with plenty of secrets to unlock. Only super open RPGs like Fallout beat them in this camp.

Well, no. But I don't think 4-5 games justify a 200$ system. I can't think of a Wii game aside those you mentioned that I would say was all that good.

I wasn't saying "other consoles are better then the Wii", either. I said "The Wii has a poor lineup of games."

TheSummoner
2009-12-30, 06:44 PM

I really hate it when people say that. There are just as many good games for the Wii as any other system, the problem is the Wii has 10x as much crap.

PS3, 360, Wii. All have ~ X amount of good games.

PS3 and 360 both have ~ Y amount of crap.

Wii has ~10Y amount of crap.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-30, 06:53 PM

Well, the Big N started in the gaming industry. Not video games, mind you; they made card games. But games nonetheless. They do that well.

The Big S started by making tape recorders & radios. They do that well.

The Big M started with computer software. They do that... successfully. Ahem.

So it's no surprise that Nintendo makes their game systems solid & built to last, while the others make buggy overclocked monstrosities that are on the bleeding edge of voodootronics. And nobody should be surprised when their systems act like it, & fry themselves at random.

Demented
2009-12-30, 06:58 PM
Once, someone used the list of reviews on either gamespot or IGN to make a point about consoles vs. PC. I forget what the argument was, but I briefly checked the list of reviews for trends and review scores and came away with a few brief factoids (factoids since we're relying on gamespot or ign's ability to review objectively, hah):

PC has the most games (as judged by number of reviews). Wii has the least. The other two were roughly tied.
Wii has the highest proportion of good games to bad games (as judged by score). PS3 second-best, and Xbox and PC were roughly tied at worst.
Wii has the least good games because it has the least games overall. Likewise, PC has the most good games simply because it has the most games overall.

If the PS3 and Xbox were more backwards-compatible, the list of PS2, PS1 and Xbox games would probably outnumber PC games. Likewise, if Gamecube games were included (I think the Wii can run them), the Wii would probably not come out so disadvantaged.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-30, 07:06 PM
I really hate it when people say that. There are just as many good games for the Wii as any other system, the problem is the Wii has 10x as much crap.

PS3, 360, Wii. All have ~ X amount of good games.

PS3 and 360 both have ~ Y amount of crap.

Wii has ~10Y amount of crap.

See, the issue is that, for me, and many other people, the Wii DOESN'T have as many good games as other systems. I won't deny that some of them are great, but there's not enough.

TheSummoner
2009-12-30, 08:13 PM
Once again, it does. The problem is you have trouble finding them because the gems are buried under a good deal of "casual gamer" minigame fest shovelware garbage.

Setra
2009-12-30, 08:15 PM
All Nintendo stuff works right?

Am I the only one who remembers back when you had to blow into a game 20 times to get it working, even when it was new?

Currently, out of all the new next gen consoles.. I prefer the PS2 over all of them. Barring that I try not to have one as a favorite, I don't take part in the console wars.

prufock
2009-12-30, 09:28 PM
This is true, in my book. Never had a single piece of Nintendo hardware that performed any less than swimmingly.

You never got the NES grey screen - green screen - grey screen - green screen blink? That annoyed the heck out of me.

TheSummoner
2009-12-30, 10:00 PM
Blowing on the cartrige... you only had to do that if dust got in there. Unless you're going to make a convincing arguement that "ability to get dusty if exposed to dust" is a malfunction. I'm not buying it

Mkay... I was very young back in the NES days, so I don't remember any gray screen green screen stuff, but heres the thing... To defend a current generation system's defect, you're comparing it to technology released 25 years ago.

Nintendo knows how to make a solid system... they know how to because they know how to make games that are the right combination of addicting, challenging, and at times, infuriating that leads people throw controlers and they don't want to have to replace the system every few months because some gamers have rage issues.

Setra
2009-12-30, 11:26 PM
Well as far as the Wii goes, am I the only one whose had problems with the motion sensing a lot of the time? It's not all the time but it's enough to be notable.

Blowing on the cartrige... you only had to do that if dust got in there. Unless you're going to make a convincing arguement that "ability to get dusty if exposed to dust" is a malfunction. I'm not buying it
Malfunction: Failure to Function

If it's not functioning without you having to blow in it.. plus I remember a lot of the time save data would randomly get deleted. THAT was annoying back in the day. (Time to play Dragon WarriOHMYGODWHERE'SMYSAVE?!)

taltamir
2009-12-30, 11:55 PM
All Nintendo stuff works right?

Am I the only one who remembers back when you had to blow into a game 20 times to get it working, even when it was new?

Currently, out of all the new next gen consoles.. I prefer the PS2 over all of them. Barring that I try not to have one as a favorite, I don't take part in the console wars.

oh god that used to blow... yea I remember as a kid just sitting there and blowing until my mouth hurt.

TheSummoner
2009-12-31, 12:05 AM
Or you could... ya'know, keep them away from dust... put them in one of those nice little cases that keep the dust out when you aren't using them, or even just the little sleeve thing.

As for the Wii, so long as you have your motion bar positioned right, its not really an issue... I've never had problems anyways.

prufock
2009-12-31, 12:40 AM
I was very young back in the NES days, so I don't remember any gray screen green screen stuff, but heres the thing... To defend a current generation system's defect, you're comparing it to technology released 25 years ago.

I'm not defending or comparing anything, just pointing out that Nintendo hardware is not free of bugs. The grey/green screen was due to the spring-loader; pins didn't line up properly. Top loaders didn't have that problem. The spring-loader was bad design anyway.

Another_Poet
2009-12-31, 01:23 PM
I'm not defending or comparing anything, just pointing out that Nintendo hardware is not free of bugs. The grey/green screen was due to the spring-loader; pins didn't line up properly. Top loaders didn't have that problem. The spring-loader was bad design anyway.

True, although in an age when people weren't used to consoles (and they were used to tucking their VCR under their TV on a shelf or something), a top-loader may not have caught on as well. It doesn't "fit" as nicely.

DwarvenExodus
2009-12-31, 01:30 PM
oh god that used to blow...

Pun Intended? :smalltongue:

TheSummoner
2009-12-31, 01:35 PM
True, although in an age when people weren't used to consoles (and they were used to tucking their VCR under their TV on a shelf or something), a top-loader may not have caught on as well. It doesn't "fit" as nicely.

Actually, the Famicom (Japanese NES) was a top loader. There was a bit of a stigma in America at the time involving "computer games" because absolutly every single one of them was shovelware garbage and half of them didn't even work. Nintendo changed the design of it to the front loader design... making it resemble a VCR more than anything... to avoid people associating their system with the trash that had plagued the market up to that point. It worked.

2009-12-31, 03:54 PM
oh, i had a game boy advance break once, dropped from the roof, and then it was just most of the screen (two of the corners still worked). i also had a wii break down once. there was a big middle ages style sword (im not 100% sure of the type but its heavy enough that i cant hold it with 1 hand) involved there so i just assumed it wasnt covered by any warranties. sword related incidents rarely are.

Another_Poet
2009-12-31, 08:59 PM
Actually, the Famicom (Japanese NES) was a top loader. There was a bit of a stigma in America at the time involving "computer games" because absolutly every single one of them was shovelware garbage and half of them didn't even work. Nintendo changed the design of it to the front loader design... making it resemble a VCR more than anything... to avoid people associating their system with the trash that had plagued the market up to that point. It worked.

Wow, I'm amazed they did that much market research before launching in America. I would think that level of consumer persnickitiness would be hard to unearth. I guess there's a reason they're successful.

oh, i had a game boy advance break once, dropped from the roof, and then it was just most of the screen (two of the corners still worked). i also had a wii break down once. there was a big middle ages style sword (im not 100% sure of the type but its heavy enough that i cant hold it with 1 hand) involved there so i just assumed it wasnt covered by any warranties. sword related incidents rarely are.

Haha, yeah, I think we can say that neither of those are due to shoddy product from Nintendo :)

Also as a sword geek I have to say that no sword, even a 6-foot long two-handed claymore, should be too heavy to lift with one hand. A two-hand longsword made of good metal should weigh maybe 5 pounds. A greatsword could weight slightly more. If you're over 10 pounds you're in the "a knight would rather cut off your head in front of your apprentice smiths than take this crap sword you made" territory.

So yeah, if you can lift a gallon of milk you can lift a sword. Tell your friend to get a new sword :)

Sword geekery (http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm)

TheSummoner
2010-01-01, 07:19 AM
Oh, its really quite interesting...

You see, in the early 80s, the market was flooded with tons and tons of shoddy systems and mass produced versions of the same games for them... A direct result of Atari's success and other companies trying to cash in. Lets say you wanted to play asteroids. If theres 10 different systems and each has asteroids and each looks essentially the same, how do you decide?

Atari failed thanks to games like E.T. (which was rush produced and never even finished).

Games were relatively cheap to produce and companies were convinced that people would buy anything. This led to some games being made that were no more than playable advertisements for a certain company or brand.

Porn games.

Just a few of the factors that had the American market fed up with video games, labeling them as a passing fad. The very name "Nintendo Entertainment System" wasn't just pulled out of a hat... They didn't want their system to be lumped in with video games or computer games thanks to how badly other companies had screwed things up. As I mentioned, the design for the American NES was chosen for this reason.

Nintendo also put their seal of approval on games, promising consumers that the game they were paying for actually worked... wasn't a glorified advertisement... wasn't porn...

They knew exactly what they were doing... they pulled it off amazingly and cemented their position in the video game market.

Setra
2010-01-01, 07:30 AM
Nintendo also put their seal of approval on games, promising consumers that the game they were paying for actually worked... wasn't a glorified advertisement... wasn't porn...

They knew exactly what they were doing... they pulled it off amazingly and cemented their position in the video game market.
On another note, they also limited the number of games they'd allow from any one company per year (I don't recall the exact number however). Meaning they'd actually have to work on the games they DID put out.

Geno9999
2010-01-01, 05:50 PM
How on earth did a thread about Xbox turn into a Nintendo thread?:smalleek:

Really, I mostly buy Nintendo's games because they designed the system, and they know how to make it work to the fullest potential. The problem is with a lot of third-party developers...
Exec 1: We need to make a popular game. Any ideas?
Exec 2: We could make it a Wii game. Everyone will buy that!
Exec 3: And make it a collection of minigames!
Exec 1: All we have to do is just add some controls.
Exec 2: Just make it random shaking of the Wiimote. That will make it sell even more!
Exec 3: Brilliant!

And that is how we ended up with all this junk.

And before anyone says that all Wii games has gimicky shaking of the Wiimote: FIRE EMBLEM RADIANT DAWN FTW!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem:_Radiant_Dawn)

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-02, 04:19 PM
On another note, they also limited the number of games they'd allow from any one company per year (I don't recall the exact number however). Meaning they'd actually have to work on the games they DID put out.

That was the theory, at any rate.

Nintendo was a rather evil company, back in the day.

Setra
2010-01-02, 11:32 PM
That was the theory, at any rate.

Nintendo was a rather evil company, back in the day.
It didn't just work in theory, even if a company put out the limit of bad games, they could have made them worse, and they could have made more.

I would consider it a necessary evil back then.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-02, 11:42 PM
On the refurb note: I just bought one, and it's working fine. Don't fear the refurbs. ;D

Setra
2010-01-02, 11:46 PM
On the refurb note: I just bought one, and it's working fine. Don't fear the refurbs. ;D
As someone who used to work refurbishing electronics, I would say don't fear them too... :smalltongue: Though to be fair I was refurbishing laptops, but if the people who are doing the same to consoles put the same level of work into it.. well I'd trust them too.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-03, 12:07 AM
I would consider it a necessary evil back then.

Then what would you say about the things like forceing companies to buy the number of cartridges they wanted? Or not allowing companies to make games for Nintendo's rivals?

Setra
2010-01-03, 12:44 AM
Then what would you say about the things like forceing companies to buy the number of cartridges they wanted? Or not allowing companies to make games for Nintendo's rivals?
I'd change my opinion to "necessary evil" to "evil that made them more money". I still don't find much wrong with it though.

vv That too

TheSummoner
2010-01-03, 04:11 AM

I call it good business sence. If Nintendo can throw the weight around to prevent their rival companies from having the same games, why shouldn't they?

By doing this, they assure that if someone is going to play Megaman (chosen because I love the series and games 1-7 were Nintendo exclusive), they're going to own a Nintendo. If someone who does not own a Nintendo wants to play Megaman, then they have to buy a Nintendo.

Capcom can either A) Accept it, get Nintendo's seal of approval, giving gamers confidence to buy it or B) Try their luck with a different system.

Capcom chose Nintendo and Nintendo's rivals did not have Megaman. Nintendo does better than their rivals.

Oslecamo
2010-01-03, 11:56 AM

You'll be hard pressed to find sucessfull companies wich don't do that. Business world is cruel.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-03, 01:01 PM
You'll be hard pressed to find sucessfull companies wich don't do that. Business world is cruel.

Sure I would be.

I'm just saying, from what I understand, the goverment had to break up their monopolistic practices, then that's going a little too far.

Zovc
2010-01-03, 01:10 PM
you should be. They sucked and you did everything normal and sensible like and it didn't work like it should have done. how'd you think people would start acting if the car you bought last week suddenly started locking up when you put it into 5th gear on the motorway?

This would me much more akin to your car not starting at all. If you want to add an (irrelevant) sense of danger to your (irrelevant) addition to the metaphor, you could say that your car wasn't starting whilst slowly coasting towards a giant chainsaw.

---

I have the same issue, and have been looking into fixing the box myself, but I'll probably just end up trading the system (as parts) in and upgrading my computer... which already runs DA:O better than a 'box would.

Also, microsoft has released several new versions of the 360 since their original issues with the system, they are trying to solve the problems, and theoretically (if I'm not mistaken), the problems should have been fixed in the last generation. I came across that as word of mouth, though...

Oslecamo
2010-01-03, 01:47 PM
I'm just saying, from what I understand, the goverment had to break up their monopolistic practices, then that's going a little too far.

Like everything, there's several degrees of monopolization. Nintento trusts his own quality to make his leverage on the gaming world. Microsoft trusts his huge amounts of money to make both offensive and suportive propaganda, forcibly buy people with talent from other companies and cuting on the quality department to make shiny stuff. Thus it gets the government at it's leg.

deuxhero
2010-01-03, 02:28 PM

So the way you get back at him for saying wii's games were terrible is to beat him to death with a terrible Wii game? (the other 2 are good though and FE, NMH and Punch-Out are good, too bad the Wii has little buffer between AAA and shovelware.).

shadow_archmagi
2010-01-03, 04:06 PM
I liked Brawl.

I must say, though, that Brawl wasn't a Wii game. It was a sequel to Melee in the exact same style as Melee that loses nothing for being played on a gamecube controller because it doesn't take advantage of the Wiimote in any way.

While that was exactly what I expected from Brawl and I don't think less of Brawl for it, I have noticed a lot of Wii games are like this and it irritates me. The Wiimote is a cool little gadget that has lots of potential and yet every Wii game I've ever seen tends to just do things like

"Waggle it up and down to equip a hat! Waggle it left and right to fall over! Make a twirling motion to throw fireballs" where you could very, very easily just replace the silly movements with A B and Z buttons. This is as opposed to something like Wii Bowling (Which I don't own and have never played, but I assume) where your movements actually matter.

I wish they'd make a starwars game with 1:1 controls already so I can do lightsaber fencing.

deuxhero
2010-01-03, 04:19 PM
I must say, though, that Brawl wasn't a Wii game. It was a sequel to Melee in the exact same style as Melee that loses nothing for being played on a gamecube controller because it doesn't take advantage of the Wiimote in any way.

If it was the same exact style as melee it would have been good, as it is now it's slow and hitstunless.

shadow_archmagi
2010-01-03, 04:28 PM
If it was the same exact style as melee it would have been good, as it is now it's slow and hitstunless.

It does feel a bit slower, but to be honest I didn't really find that the changes were that HUGE of a detriment.

TheSummoner
2010-01-03, 06:05 PM
Brawl was good! I'll agree it was a bit slower, but it fixed alot of things (wavedashing anyone? How about the way in Melee you could change direction while in the air... that makes alot of sence...)

Setra
2010-01-04, 03:03 AM
I prefer Brawl to Melee.

That said.. *runs away, very fast*

TheSummoner
2010-01-04, 03:13 AM
I do too... NOT THE FACE! *covers face*