PDA

View Full Version : How can I hit AC 60? (melee CharOp)

rockdeworld
2009-12-27, 10:04 PM
I'm building a mostly-core gestalt tripper at level 15, and find myself in short supply of attack bonus. For an upcoming battle, I need to be able to consistently hit AC 52 (prone).

I've got the following so far:
Classes:
RHD // LA
RHD // LA
RHD // LA
RHD // LA
RHD // LA
RHD // RHD
Wolf Totem Barbarian // Ranger
Wolf Totem Barbarian // Horizon Walker - Underground Terrain
Warrior (Good Reflex) // Horizon Walker - Desert Terrain
Warrior // Horizon Walker - Hills Terrain
Rogue // Horizon Walker - Plains Terrain
Rogue // Horizon Walker - Forest Terrain
Rogue // Horizon Walker - Shifting Terrain
Rogue // Horizon Walker - Cavernous Terrain
Rogue // Horizon Walker - Fiery Terrain

Point Buy:
Str - 16, Dex - 18, Con - 14, Int - 12, Wis - 12, Cha - 8
Racial bonuses:
Str +18, Dex -2, Con +10, Int +2, Wis +6, Cha +2

Feats:
Flaw: Combat Reflexes
Flaw: Power Attack
1st: Endurance
3rd: Diehard
6th: Hold the Line
9th: Knockdown
Warrior Bonus: Shock Trooper
Warrior Bonus: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)
12th: Leap Attack
15th: Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain)

Attack Bonus w/ +5 Spiked Chain: +34 (13 BAB + 15 Str + 5 Enhancement + 2 Rage + 1 WF - 2 Size)

My question is: how do I pump my attack bonus from 34 to the necessary ~50?

Edit: I also just found Person_Man's guide to optimizing to-hit. Which of those works best here?

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-27, 10:07 PM
Uh. To start with: All those RHDs? If they aren't Outsider or Dragon then chuck 'em. If they are Outsider or Dragon: Seriously consider replacing them with Duskblade, because True Strike will help. Alternatively: Spend the 4,000 GP to add continuous True Strike to your sword.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-27, 10:07 PM
Gestalt with sorcerer. Use Wraithstrike.

Soranar
2009-12-27, 10:16 PM
My question is: how do I pump my attack bonus from 34 to the necessary ~50?

humm, you character is already made so we can't exactly help you with the build

nevermind how confusing it is with the whole gesthalt thing

your weapon is already +5 so that leaves you with very little options

-potions: heroism , greater heroism (+2 or +4)
-hire a bard to come and sing for you (even a low level merc with inspirations can give you a few more BAB)
-you have rogue levels, did you take any skills in UMD? (a lot of things let you use true strike)
-are you sure you should be fighting something with an AC that high?

right now your total attack bonus is 34 so you would still hit on a 18+, not great but I've seen worse

-what's your ennemy exactly? maybe there are specific buffs you can take against them

rockdeworld
2009-12-27, 10:20 PM
what's your ennemy exactly? maybe there are specific buffs you can take against them
It's a druid. In the Gestalt Warrior arena.

Uh. To start with: All those RHDs? If they aren't Outsider or Dragon then chuck 'em. If they are Outsider or Dragon: Seriously consider replacing them with Duskblade, because True Strike will help. Alternatively: Spend the 4,000 GP to add continuous True Strike to your sword.
You can do that?

Gestalt with sorcerer. Use Wraithstrike.
Can't - no spellcasting allowed.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-27, 10:21 PM
How much rebuilding can we do? Because hitting AB +58 isn't hard, but with your build it is. Any reason why you aren't going Touch Attacks/Bull Rush/Flatfooted against this guy, whatever it is?

Also what books do you have, and how much cash can you spend.

Tavar
2009-12-27, 10:23 PM
What race are you using?

rockdeworld
2009-12-27, 10:33 PM
How much rebuilding can we do? Because hitting AB +58 isn't hard, but with your build it is. Any reason why you aren't going Touch Attacks/Bull Rush/Flatfooted against this guy, whatever it is?

Also what books do you have, and how much cash can you spend.
Any rebuilding would be fine, this is what I came up with on my own. Making them prone and flat-footed only reduces that AC by 6.

I only have access to the DMG and whatever's on the internet, and 200k wealth.

What race are you using?
Treant, for the Huge reach.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-27, 10:41 PM
For one side of the Gestalt, Orc Barbarian 20. Snag a +5 weapon, +6 item, +1 Tome, starting with 22 Str, and put all of your levelups into Str. That gives you Str while raging of 42, meaning just from weapon, BAB, and Str, you have an AB of 41. Charge, keeping him tripped, and any method of making Touch Attacks, and you should be hitting on a 1, not to mention things like Race can be much further optimized. Off the top of my head, one of the Chaotic variant Paladins, Smite Evil, and Succubus makes for an awesome image.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-12-27, 10:46 PM
Warblade with <gem> Nightmare Blade and <gem> Razor maneuvers. Resolve attacks as either touch attacks or use a Concentration check in place of your attack roll.

In fact, go ahead and do that as a Swordsage, because then you can use Setting Sun to make sure that he doesn't hit you... and even if he hits you, he actually hits himself, then you get to hit him back for having hit himself.

rockdeworld
2009-12-27, 11:15 PM
For one side of the Gestalt, Orc Barbarian 20. Snag a +5 weapon, +6 item, +1 Tome, starting with 22 Str, and put all of your levelups into Str. That gives you Str while raging of 42, meaning just from weapon, BAB, and Str, you have an AB of 41. Charge, keeping him tripped, and any method of making Touch Attacks, and you should be hitting on a 1, not to mention things like Race can be much further optimized. Off the top of my head, one of the Chaotic variant Paladins, Smite Evil, and Succubus makes for an awesome image.
It's level 15, not 20.
I would have...
22+6+1+3=32 Str, Rage 38
TAB 15+9 14 (Str)+5 (wep)=29 34
That's lower than equal to what I have now.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-27, 11:23 PM
No spellcasting, level 15, AC 60, Core? What's the Touch AC?

Anyways, your best bet is finding a source of Poylmorph so you can avoid wasting levels on RHD, grab a race with a massive Cha boost, and use Smite while Raging. I'd recommend getting Polymorph from a wand, UMD round 1, and then trying to beat him down. Alternatively, snag a winged race, fly away, and rain arrows on his head. Just make sure you have more arrows than he has healing and wait for the 20s.

Tavar
2009-12-27, 11:24 PM
32 str is +11, and 38 is +14, so your math is a bit off. Is everyone limited to just Core, or only you?

tyckspoon
2009-12-27, 11:37 PM
I'm building a mostly-core gestalt tripper at level 15, and find myself in short supply of attack bonus. For an upcoming battle, I need to be able to consistently hit AC 52 (prone).

How core, and how tight is the restriction on spellcasting? If you can go to SRD material, psionics has your answer- you can get the Psionic Weapon-> Deep Impact feat line or get into Pyrokineticist and use the Fire Lash without ever actually being able to manifest a power (it would be nice to be able to use Psychic Warrior for the bonus feats, but I don't think there's a way you can do that without picking up a power or two.) You just need a power point reserve, which you can get via feat or by selecting a naturally psionic race. Half-Giant is probably the best for your purposes.

If that isn't allowable, or you decide it's not worth giving up being a Treant, you probably have to turn to magic item effects. I believe there's a weapon property (possibly named weapon?) that lets you make a touch attack 3 times/day. If your damage output is good enough that should be enough.. some kind soul will probably come along and remeber what it's actually called for me.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-12-28, 12:06 AM
How core, and how tight is the restriction on spellcasting? If you can go to SRD material, psionics has your answer- you can get the Psionic Weapon-> Deep Impact feat line or get into Pyrokineticist and use the Fire Lash without ever actually being able to manifest a power (it would be nice to be able to use Psychic Warrior for the bonus feats, but I don't think there's a way you can do that without picking up a power or two.) You just need a power point reserve, which you can get via feat or by selecting a naturally psionic race. Half-Giant is probably the best for your purposes.

If that isn't allowable, or you decide it's not worth giving up being a Treant, you probably have to turn to magic item effects. I believe there's a weapon property (possibly named weapon?) that lets you make a touch attack 3 times/day. If your damage output is good enough that should be enough.. some kind soul will probably come along and remeber what it's actually called for me.

You can also blow a Feat to get a Power point Reserve without picking up any powers. That would qualify you for both Deep Impact and Pyrokeneticist.

However, if you're going up against a dr00d, don't go with the Pyrokeneticist. Resist Elements would make him immune to you.

rockdeworld
2009-12-28, 12:14 AM
32 str is +11, and 38 is +14, so your math is a bit off. Is everyone limited to just Core, or only you?
Just me - and "mostly core" translates to "whatever I can find on the internet."

No psionics and no spellcasting for anyone.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-12-28, 12:57 AM
Just me - and "mostly core" translates to "whatever I can find on the internet."

What about UMD abuse?

rockdeworld
2009-12-28, 01:28 AM
Not allowed.

I'm thinking Animal Devotion: Ape Fury for +2 to hit; and Law Devotion for +7 to hit.

deuxhero
2009-12-28, 01:39 AM

So SRD plus this list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0)? (the last page has some more listed)

Warblade+Manuvers likely has some stuff you can use.

rockdeworld
2009-12-28, 02:10 AM
That's a nice list. Thanks for the help everyone - I think I know what to go with now. I invite you all to watch the Arena (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121363) matches if you wish :smallsmile:

Also: Somehow, the Tarrasque's doesn't seem as tough anymore.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-28, 02:34 AM
Improved Sunder, destroy his items. There's no way his attack bonus is high enough to beat you, plus if you stay Treant you'll deal double damage to objects. Find out which items grant the highest AC bonuses and destroy those first, plus anything they may be able to use against you to win. After that it should be easy.

Ravingdork
2009-12-28, 02:57 AM
How do you hit AC 60? Magic missile. :smalltongue: