PDA

View Full Version : Meetup The Ottawa Meetup ?

Voldecanter
2009-12-27, 11:06 PM
Hello all , and especially those that live in Canada . I have noticed recently quite a few Giant ITP meetups , but found that they happen either across the pond or in the states . Since most Canadians live close to the border , let's try to have a meetup in Toronto !:smallbiggrin: Great Chance for Networking , Fun and making great new friends .

Just Gauging interest as of yet , don't know how well this will go over .

Some General Suggestions :

Meetup in Toronto (But All Welcome)
If Desired/ If Preferred Meetup in a Public Place

If Parental Permission is an Issue ; It may be better to wait until you are older enough / Or ask them to come with you ? (They can stare at you while in the corner the entire night making sure you're all right , if you/they so wish)

Have a Great time , (Entertainment/Drinks/Ect. Ect.)

Date : Undetermined as of yet
Place : Somewhere In Toronto
General Location : Toronto, Canada

Lifeson
2009-12-27, 11:40 PM
I'm in. I've wanted to see how many GitP'ers there are in Ottawa and the surrounding area for a while now. :smallcool:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-12-27, 11:42 PM
I suppose I'll have to make a Western-Canadian Meetup sometime in the next few years, or something.

Voldecanter
2009-12-27, 11:42 PM
Have any suggestions for what we can do to keep us occupied ?

Edit : Your Welcome to come if we get it off the ground Lord Fullbladder , but if distance and money is an issue , don't worry about it .

Pika...
2009-12-27, 11:53 PM
Edit : Your Welcome to come if we get it off the ground Lord Fullbladder , but if distance and money is an issue , don't worry about it .

Hey, if distance or money was not an issue I would be there all the way from Florida. :smallamused:

kentma57
2009-12-27, 11:56 PM
Rideau Curling Club
Rue 715 Cooper Street
Ottawa Ontario

May 21-23 May

CanGames (http://www.cangames.ca/) I go most years and I wouldn't mind giving them some extra support this year.

EDIT: hmm... their website seems to be emptier that it used to be... I wonder if it's under construction or something. Well the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanGames) page is still good.

Voldecanter
2009-12-28, 12:02 AM
That actually sounds really fun , and cool .

Pika...
2009-12-28, 12:07 AM
Rideau Curling Club
Rue 715 Cooper Street
Ottawa Ontario

May 21-23 May

CanGames (http://www.cangames.ca/) I go most years and I wouldn't mind giving them some extra support this year.

EDIT: hmm... their website seems to be emptier that it used to be... I wonder if it's under construction or something. Well the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanGames) page is still good.

Maybe renting a room or getting a booth would be a good idea?

Maybe if you can do the above for a year or two successfully perhaps the Giant himself could make a visit?

Pika...
2009-12-28, 12:15 AM
A Booth to hold all the awesomeness of The Playground ? We might crash the Servers in the Matrix .

I'm not against anyone renting a room , but I already live downtown ottawa , so I don't have to worry about getting any additional accommodations

But can you be trusted?

You might be one of those strange old men trying to lure us innocents into your dwellings.

Oh wait, you're Canadian. Sorry, forgot that you are all a bit strange up there. :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2009-12-28, 12:21 AM
LoL.

Sorry, I meant to say renting a room at the convention for a GitP event/presentation/discussion/etc. What were you thinking?

And yeah, we get a lot of you down here for the Disney parks. At least your girls are cute. :smallbiggrin:

kentma57
2009-12-28, 12:24 AM
lol I wasn't offering my place to anyone lol , my place is to small to house large amounts of houseguests for a weekend . Although , I guess yes we are all a bit strange . :smallbiggrin:

We're not strange, everyone else is just wierd.
I've got evidence! My chain-mail suit and my arms collection prove it!

Pika...
2009-12-28, 12:30 AM
We're not strange, everyone else is just wierd.
I've got evidence! My chain-mail suit and my arms collection prove it!

Got a Jaffa suit? O.O

Boo
2009-12-28, 12:31 AM
What would be interesting is if we were to have two separate meet-ups at both ends of Canada, then connect via webcam/satellite so we could converse with one another.

Obviously, both ends would need to be conducted at the same time for this to work.

kentma57
2009-12-28, 12:32 AM
Got a Jaffa suit? O.O

Not yet, I'm in the middle of building a new suit of galvanized steel combat grade mail(also maille, often given as chain mail or chain maille or chainmaille)*.

*Stolen from wiki... because I can. :smallbiggrin:

Voldecanter
2009-12-28, 12:33 AM
What would be interesting is if we were to have two separate meet-ups at both ends of Canada, then connect via webcam/satellite so we could converse with one another.

Obviously, both ends would need to be conducted at the same time for this to work.

:smallbiggrin: ....One Step at a time my friend , one step at a time .

The Extinguisher
2009-12-28, 01:27 AM
I suppose I'll have to make a Western-Canadian Meetup sometime in the next few years, or something.

This needs to happen. Because Ottawa is just sooo far away from me.

Zocelot
2009-12-28, 10:10 AM

I think it would be even cooler if we managed to do this with both meetups at different times.

On topic though. I'd love to go, but Ottawa is pretty far away for me. I'll wait until the next Ontario meetup and hope it's one closer to Toronto.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-28, 12:53 PM
This needs to happen. Because Ottawa is just sooo far away from me.

Yeah. I vote that if there is a meetup, it's in Manitoba, possibly Winnipeg. It's near the middle of the country, after all.

Worira
2009-12-28, 01:06 PM
It's also pretty much the farthest away from the most people you could manage without moving north.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-28, 02:41 PM
Yeah. I vote that if there is a meetup, it's in Manitoba, possibly Winnipeg. It's near the middle of the country, after all.

This seems good. It's only about a days drive for me, from Alberta, so I can't imagine it's too far away for those in Ontario.

Kneenibble
2009-12-28, 08:24 PM
Just be warned, if this affair goes down in Winnipeg, I will have to come, and nobody wants that.

That's what she said.

Yiuel
2009-12-28, 08:46 PM
This seems good. It's only about a days drive for me, from Alberta, so I can't imagine it's too far away for those in Ontario.

Have you ever crossed Northwestern Ontario by car? I did it once, and it was a painful experience, even though I have been raised to do hours and hours of travelling by car (went many times from North Bay to Myrtle Beach (SC), and did twice Montreal-Vancouver and Montreal-Miami). Even two whole weeks in trains in Japan seemed less tiring.

(As a sidenote on-topic, I live in Montreal, but I could perhaps find a way to go to Ottawa.)

Flickerdart
2009-12-28, 08:50 PM
Toronto > Ottawa. I'm not sure I'll be able to travel out there anyway, because I'm cheap and also don't own a car. But we should definitely have one in Toronto.

truemane
2009-12-28, 08:53 PM
The only fair way to do it is to see where most people live. Take a vote, as it were. Or at least find out where most people can go to. Even though it's the middle of the country, I can't imagine that Winnepeg is the most convenient for the most people.

But I could be wrong. It's happened that one time before.

And in any case, if there is a vote, mark me down for one Toronto. I MIGHT be able to make it as far as Ottawa. But no farther.

Alteran
2009-12-28, 08:56 PM
We had a Canada in the Playground thread a while ago, and I believe most people who posted there were from Toronto. Winnipeg had the second-most people.

As an underage resident of Toronto, I may or may not be able to attend a meetup here. I could possibly convince my parents to let me meet people that I know from the internet, but I certainly couldn't convince them to drive me to another city to do that.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-28, 09:04 PM
Honestly, I could probably do Toronto, assuming the meetup is sometime between may-july.

B-Man
2009-12-28, 09:12 PM
I would love to attend a Canadian meet up but it may never happen for me now that I'm in Halifax. Although, if there were a meet in, say, Toronto in August I may be able to attend (as I am in the process of trying to collect funds to move back to the Niagara Region). I love Halifax, but it's just not home for me.

Mythestopheles
2009-12-28, 09:35 PM
I live in Alberta, so it would be a bit of a stretch for me to go to Ottowa, though I would go for a meet up in general. Sounds fun!

Voldecanter
2009-12-28, 09:51 PM
*FacePalm* Why does Canada have to be soo big again?

2009-12-28, 10:36 PM
To contain our awesomeness.

Yiuel
2009-12-28, 10:48 PM

The problem isn't much being big. The problem is being big, mostly empty except in cities far away from each other, and having no convenient cheap transportation between them.

(Reason why I want to leave Canada despite it not being that bad a country.)

Zocelot
2009-12-28, 10:54 PM
To contain Toronto's awesomeness.

Fixed for you.

2009-12-28, 10:58 PM
Like Hell you did.

EleventhHour
2009-12-28, 11:00 PM
Fixed for you.

You broke it. Bad, Z.

Flickerdart
2009-12-29, 05:58 PM
Looks like we're having one in Toronto and one in Winnipeg, then?

Mythestopheles
2009-12-29, 07:46 PM

It's a conspiracy I tell you, if I just ignore it, it will go away.
*Hides in a box*
*Peeks out*
Is it over?

The Extinguisher
2009-12-29, 08:25 PM
Looks like we're having one in Toronto and one in Winnipeg, then?

If we're doing two we should do two so close together.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-29, 08:44 PM
We had a Canada in the Playground thread a while ago, and I believe most people who posted there were from Toronto. Winnipeg had the second-most people.

As an underage resident of Toronto, I may or may not be able to attend a meetup here. I could possibly convince my parents to let me meet people that I know from the internet, but I certainly couldn't convince them to drive me to another city to do that.

Same case for me, though I live in Winnipeg. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2009-12-29, 09:08 PM
If we're doing two we should do two so close together.
Well, these ARE the two places with the most people.

Mythestopheles
2009-12-29, 09:49 PM

Yeah, I have the same issue as well.

Ponce
2009-12-30, 02:39 AM
I'm living in Ottawa and would love to come if it is being hosted there!

If it is held in Toronto, well, there's no way I'm driving all the way out to that stinking garbage heap fine city.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-30, 02:47 AM
I guess living in the Prairies have conditioned me to long drives, because I'd honestly consider the drive between Ottawa and Toronto a short little excursion. I've driven more than that for food before.

You crazy Ontarians.

Ponce
2009-12-30, 03:01 AM
I guess living in the Prairies have conditioned me to long drives, because I'd honestly consider the drive between Ottawa and Toronto a short little excursion. I've driven more than that for food before.

You crazy Ontarians.

Some of us don't live in a province where you can fall asleep at the wheel for six hours and wake up still on the road. Just saying.

Yiuel
2009-12-30, 09:54 AM
Some of us don't live in a province where you can fall asleep at the wheel for six hours and wake up still on the road. Just saying.

Ever been to Longlac? Yeah, a small village in the middle of nowhere on the 11. I'd say that there are such roads even in Ontario.

I'd like to see a meeting in Montreal.

Flickerdart
2009-12-30, 10:45 AM
I'm living in Ottawa and would love to come if it is being hosted there!

If it is held in Toronto, well, there's no way I'm driving all the way out to that stinking garbage heap fine city.
No no, that strike ended quite a while ago.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-30, 10:47 AM

Canada's so weird sometimes.

onthetown
2009-12-30, 06:49 PM
An Atlantic Canada one might be nice. I think IlexGarodan and I are the only Playgrounders from Prince Edward Island, but there's gotta be more from the Maritimes!

Lifeson
2010-01-03, 11:06 PM
Although I think it would be nice for every Canadian to have a meet up , I think Ellardin intended for the Meetup to be Organized for Ottawa , So You guys who live in or near Ottawa give a Shout OUt .

Flickerdart
2010-01-03, 11:12 PM
Huh, looks like a round-trip with Greyhound goes for about a hundred bucks. That's a bit steep for my student's pocket. Anyone know of a cheaper transit? I'm not even sure if trains go from Toronto to Ottawa, as Canada's train system in general is severely lacking.

Lifeson
2010-01-03, 11:54 PM
Canada was made on the train system , and a Train from Ottawa to Toronto is 79 Dollars , How could you not know that the Train system was built with the Nation's Capital in Mind ? Not to mention students get a discount or something , so enjoy .

mikej
2010-01-04, 10:10 AM
I'll be up for it, Toronto sounds pretty good, or something else in Ontario. I live in Niagara Falls and it's a quick bus ride up to Toronto. That's how I go to Anime North/Fan Expo each year.

btw, Fan Expo would be an awesome place to meet up.

Fostire
2010-01-07, 05:46 PM
If it's in Winnipeg I will almost certainly attend, unless it's on August.

If it's in Ottawa, probably not. I'd really love to go, but time/money/other complications lower the chances of that happening.

Fostire
2010-01-07, 06:56 PM
Since it is being Organized for the City of Ottawa area ,I think that it's happening in Ottawa . I don't want to organize a meetup in a city that is too far away , also one that is fairly unfamiliar to me .

Oh I know. Just throwing it out there in case the plan changes.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-07, 07:09 PM
We should probably make a new thread for the party at Fullbladder's house Western Canada Meetup :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2010-01-07, 10:36 PM
btw, Fan Expo would be an awesome place to meet up.
That is an awesome idea and should totally be done.

Minstrel Cowboy
2010-01-17, 01:25 PM
I love the Idea because I live in Ottawa. But There isn't too many nice meet up spots. Maybe Peitri Island would work. but other then the. "where the heck would we put it part" it's a splendid Idea.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-01-17, 02:11 PM
I bet 5 dollars (canadian) that I can convince my parents to give you a ride, Flick, if there's a meetup.

Count me in, btw.

Also, Alteran, are you the one I used to see on Bathurst, somewhere between Dundas and Queen all the time? And always thought "he looks familiar, I swear I saw a pic of him somewhere on GitP..."

Flickerdart
2010-01-17, 02:53 PM
I bet 5 dollars (canadian) that I can convince my parents to give you a ride, Flick, if there's a meetup.

Count me in, btw.

Also, Alteran, are you the one I used to see on Bathurst, somewhere between Dundas and Queen all the time? And always thought "he looks familiar, I swear I saw a pic of him somewhere on GitP..."
Five bucks? You're on. :smallbiggrin:

Alteran
2010-01-17, 03:01 PM

Probably not, I'm very rarely in that area.

Unless somebody has created, in my image, a lifelike clockwork simulacrum of brass and steel...

OH NOES! :smalleek:

Flickerdart
2010-01-17, 03:05 PM
Obviously, the three of us must band together and defeat it handily. Within its mangled ruin, we will surely find some clue as to the identities of those responsible.

Voldecanter
2010-01-17, 03:30 PM
I love the Idea because I live in Ottawa. But There isn't too many nice meet up spots. Maybe Peitri Island would work. but other then the. "where the heck would we put it part" it's a splendid Idea.

That's Great ! But there are lots of events/Places of Interest where Good GiantITP peoples can meet , and depending upon the time in which the meetup takes place , then we can re-located properly . For Example if it happens in the WInter there is Winter Fest and Canal Events , If it happens in Spring then it can be around blues-fest /Tulip festival .

And if it doesn't happen around the time of an Event than there are always interesting Places/Pubs to meet . Someone Did Suggest the RPG Thing going in late spring which also sounds good .

Flickerdart
2010-01-17, 06:31 PM
Heh, tulip festival. I've been to one of those, and it didn't strike me as especially exciting. Also, some of us are underage, so unless the Quebec side of Ottawa (Hull, was it?) follows their drinking laws, pubs are not gonna work out so well.
I would prefer if this happened between late April and August, mainly because outside that timespan, my classes are much more numerous. I might be able to get away with a 4-day weekend during the summer but I don't yet know.

Voldecanter
2010-01-17, 07:34 PM
But absorbing in culture is exciting ! and yes you are right about the underage comment , however , if parents of those people don't feel comfortable with their children meeting people from the internetz then as post 1 suggested they should wait , so depending on the age group , yes we would have to accommodate .

Aramil Liadon
2010-01-17, 09:38 PM
I may be a total unknown, but if nobody objects...

I would be all for a meetup in Ottawa. There are plenty of things to do in town.

Zocelot
2010-01-17, 09:54 PM
I like the idea of a FanExpo meetup. I think it will get more people, because then they're not "just" going for the Giantitp meetup, they also get to go to FanExpo.

Voldecanter
2010-01-17, 10:39 PM
Yea that's true the Rpg Convention might be a good starting point for a GiantITP meetup . There is a link in one of the very first posts to it ,if anyone is interested in checking up on it .

Flickerdart
2010-01-17, 11:13 PM
I like the idea of a FanExpo meetup. I think it will get more people, because then they're not "just" going for the Giantitp meetup, they also get to go to FanExpo.
Let the Ottawa guys have their fun. FanExpo meetup should be another, separate thing.

mikej
2010-01-21, 04:05 PM
Soo yes, no, maybe on the FanExpo idea?

There's a room for tabletop RPG's and it's divided throughout the day from 4e - 3e.

Voldecanter
2010-01-21, 04:07 PM
Soo yes, no, maybe on the FanExpo idea?

There's a room for tabletop RPG's and it's divided throughout the day from 4e - 3e.

Nothing Definite has been decided yet , but if that is what the majority of the people coming want to do then who am I to say Nah , I'll make a list of possible peoples coming and possible things , that people have suggested doing .

mikej
2010-01-21, 04:12 PM
That's a good idea.

It should be a very good experience regardless.

Thorcrest
2010-01-21, 06:05 PM
Hi Ellardin, I'm sitting next to you and have already told you I'd go, but I will post it on the forum for random pointlessness... other than maybe telling all of you Playgrounders!