PDA

View Full Version : Champion of the Gods, Round 1: Shei-Lo vs. Lolgax

Eldan
2009-12-28, 08:43 AM
The air is cold and dank, and you hear the dripping of water in the distance. You know it should be dark, but somehow, even beyond the reach of the torches, you can still see the narrow tunnels of these caves... somewhere out there, your opponent awaits you, and only one of you will ever leave these caves alive.

Map:
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/511/cavemap.jpg

Shei-Lo starts on the left, between the two torches, Lolgax on the right between the two torches.

Round 1 - FIGHT!

DracoDei
2009-12-28, 10:13 PM
LOLgax is currently dual-wielding bananas a rapier and a banana and is in the Step of the Wind Stance.

Step of the Wind lets you ignore difficult terrain and gives bonuses to attacking an opponent on such terrain.

Shyftir
2009-12-29, 01:54 AM
Shei-Lo is in Flashing Frenzy stance and using a guisarme.

Initiative roll: [roll0]

Flashing Frenzy is somewhat like Flurry of Blows, allowing one extra attack at full BAB.

DracoDei
2009-12-29, 09:06 AM
EDIT: Initiative of 19 was rolled in the dice thread.

LOLgax moves South down the 15 foot stretch of corridor to the square just before the bend in the corridor (assuming I couldn't move directly to the South West from that square so what I am about to do will work still work to block the corridor, if not, then move everything 1 square north).

He then eats his banana with incrediable speed and drops the peel in the square that contains the bend in the corridor. (right-most column, lowest square that is not solid rock in that column).

The banana peel has an AC of 9 and 2 hitpoints, but is not CONSIDERED damaged by anything other than Acid, Cold (which it takes half damage from), Electricity, or Fire. If anyone other than you enters that square they are subject to a trip attempt (this is specifically NOT an attack of opportunity). They do not get an attack of opportunity either on you or the banana peel. In lew of a touch attack by the banana peel (which can't move under its own power), the target is required to make a Will Save with a DC of 11 + your Wisdom modifer. If they fail, they step on the peel. For purposes of this Trip attempt the peel counts as a medium sized creature with a strength modifier equal to your Charisma or Wisdom modifier (whichever is higher), and the defender ALSO counts as medium sized for this purpose (regardless of actual size) and MUST oppose the trip attempt with Dexterity, NOT Strength. Stablity bonuses apply as usual. If the defender is tripped the peel vanishes, otherwise the defender is immune to further trip attempts by that particular banana peel for one round. The peel can not itself be tripped. A character who succeeds on their will save to avoid a trip attempt may pick up that particular banana peel and put in a safe place (such as shoving it through their belt) as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity provided they don't leave the square before they do so. The peel loses all special properties as soon as it is picked up (except that it still vanishes at the end of combat).

If two or more "active" banana peels end up laying in the same square, then the last ones to enter the square disappear.

If you do not have a banana with you to use for the peel, then activating this maneuver is a supernatural ability, however even something that would surpress a supernatural ability can not make the banana peel disappear or stop functioning prematurely.
(Thanks to zerombr for the basic idea of including banana slips.)

Shyftir
2009-12-31, 12:36 AM
Shei-lo steps around the corner looking for his enemy. Seeing a light up ahead and no opponent, he moves toward the light.

Full move action to the square directly southwest of the fire in the central chamber.

So if I poke the banana peel, cartoon trash collector style, can I pick it up and move it as an attack action. LoL.

DracoDei
2009-12-31, 07:11 PM
LOLgax grins inanely and makes funny faces, barely able to keep himself from giggling as his inner mirth surges, renewing his spirit. (Regaining maneuver).

Discussion of above, unsuccessfully spoilered question is below.

Your spoiler tags didn't work for some reason. I will leave that descision up to whoever is running the tournament in the end, but it actually sounds pretty reasonable... if it was a peircing weapon, which I don't think it is. In any case, some sort of an additional penalty to hit it just right to keep something designed to make BIG holes not just rip out the side... but maybe not.

Shyftir
2009-12-31, 09:21 PM
Shei-Lo continues to stand in the lit room peering down corridors trying to find some clue to his opponents whereabouts.

Holding Action basically.

(My computer is on the fritz so my posting is going to be highly irregular for a couple days.)

DracoDei
2010-01-01, 11:43 AM
LOLgax moves north to the wall and one square west, then drops another bannana peel (this one mystically appearing in his hand) at the choke-point on the west end of the room with the two torches that he started in.

Shyftir
2010-01-01, 06:27 PM
"I had heard you were insane not a coward, swordsage! Show yourself!" Shei-Lo bellowed into the darkness. He preferred a stand up fight and wondered where his opponent was. His understanding of a tournament involved actual fighting not this standing around. He continues to stare out into the darkness careful not to look to long at the fire lest he ruin his night vision.

DracoDei
2010-01-03, 12:09 AM
LOLgax considers this, but isn't QUITE crazy enough to respond immediately.

Pausing to renew his mirth again, he then 5' steps east, then shouts out:

"Very well by me! Call out a Rikket, and I shall give you a TEE! Give me a Fish and I shall give you back a Goat! Word for word, and note for note! But you must agree to do the same for me!"

((Basically I just agreed to play "Marco Polo" to speed things up. With EITHER of us able to shout for a response at any time.))

Shyftir
2010-01-05, 03:41 PM
"Or you could just come out and fight me, you pitiful excuse for a warrior! Stop slinking in the shadows like a recently beaten cur."

Shei-Lo had no patience for a madman's games. He merely wanted to fight the foolish swordsage not run around in the dark with no good light source. He hoped the insults would eventually draw out the trickster.

Sorry, but Shei-Lo just wouldn't run around in the dark playing Marco Polo with a madman. Its just not in his personality. I think the situation would be hilarious, but both tactically and role-playing-wise it's not a good decision.
In short, no stand up warrior with any brain plays the game of a crazy trickster. especially in the dark.

"Nope, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent." /impression.

Oh, yeah and sorry for the posting delay, I lost track of the thread for a couple days.

DracoDei
2010-01-09, 03:01 PM
((OOC: I got distracted too.))

LOLgax advances to the west and a bit north, so that he is standing with a patch of fungus (difficult terrain) just to his south and exits from the "room" to his north and west. He drops a banana peel to his west since he THINKS that is where Shei-Lo's two comments came from. ((OOC: If you want to fast forward about 4 more rounds until I come into sight, I can do that easily.))
EDIT: To also save time, here are my Move Silently roll for this round, and a Listen roll for if Shei-Lo moves this turn.
Move Silently (with a -5 since I am using a move action to move more than 15 feet): 5

Listen: 7

((OOC: Comments on LOLgax's actions.))
LOLgax is actually acting very rationally here and ISN'T trying to hide. He is just advancing very slowly (but not as slowly as he could... I am only hitting the choke-points, not every square, like some players would do) while making it hard to get at him without crossing at least one banana-peel. Basically comes down to "he is crazy, not stupid" although Shei-Lo is probably not the most likely personality type to get that.

((OOC: To speed things up, here are my actions for the next few rounds if you accept that. Open only if you accept OOC.))
Next round:Regain Maneuvers.
2nd round: Drop peel to north.
3rd Round: Regain maneuvers.
4th round: Move west 10 feet, south 15, and then you need to make a reflex save VS Unlucky Raincloud if you are within sight(3d6 electrical damage, Reflex DC 15 halves), or he will drop a banana peel at the 3 way choke-point(assuming it wouldn't be possible to just step around it... I am unclear on the movement rules, if it would, and he would be dropping a peel, he will move 5' north, and drop the peel to his south instead).
Conditional 5th round: If he dropped a banana peel last round, and hasn't seen you, he will Regain Maneuvers.

Shyftir
2010-01-09, 05:52 PM
Shei-Lo wasn't sure where the strange man was and continued to check each hallway in quick succession, hoping to spot the other man before he could get close. (He failed his Listen somehow...)

He moved slightly (10 ft.) to the east trying to peer down tunnels with a different angle.

ooc:
He isn't in view for your Unlucky Storm by shear chance but he's not in the best position he could have been in because he has not heard you yet. Also you can ignore my move silently roll he wouldn't be moving silently unless he had heard you. Your actions including fifth round are all fine. Shei-lo is now in the square directly southeast of the large fire.

DracoDei
2010-01-09, 07:10 PM
((OOC: So... I now take my 6th round by the count in the spoilers above (or do I need to do another Move Silently roll in there somewhere?))

Shyftir
2010-01-10, 02:16 AM
Just take your turn. Since I'm actively looking for you you won't get a surprise round by being sneaky if you move into view. But if you wanna slide up near the corner of the hall and try to get the drop on me by hiding around the corner, you'll need to roll your various kinds of stealthy-ness.

DracoDei
2010-01-10, 11:19 PM
LOLgax moves east (10 feet?) until Shei-Lo is in view then calls forth a little black raincloud above Shei-Lo's head which strikes him with a small bolt of lightning for 7 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7668617&postcount=43) damage, reflex DC 15 for half.

Shyftir
2010-01-11, 11:30 PM
Leaping away from the tiny storm, Shei-lo takes only a small amount of damage. Finally able to confront his enemy directly Shei-lo blurs into action moving quickly into range and and thrusting his guisarme at the swordsage.

The attack unfortunately isn't even close to harming his enemy. Shei-lo burst away from his opponent seeking better positioning. Running into the northerly tunnel a few yards, he turns around quickly to once again face his opponent.

Wow, I sure screwed up that damage roll, didn't I? Good thing it didn't hit anyway. Anyway...
I take half damage from the storm is that 3 or 4?

Shei-lo expends Uncoiled Strike to take a five-foot step AND attack as a single standard action. I failed my balance check, so if you had a reach weapon I'd provoke an AoO, but you don't.

At the time of the attack I was in the square directly between you and the fire with the flames at my back. (One square north)

As a move action, I move down the tunnel to the north stopping after a short distance and turning back to face the tunnel mouth. (Three more squares north, for a total of 4 squares movement all together.)

End of Turn

DracoDei
2010-01-13, 04:28 AM
Assuming LOS: LOLgax calls forth hidden reserves of Comedy(Sudden Recovery) recreating the cloud 6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7683782&postcount=45) Reflex DC 15 of half (the dice are hating me... even worse than they are you I think). Then 5' step EAST.

If no LOS: 5' step EAST then recover maneuvers (and we can keep that roll for the next time I use Unlucky Raincloud).

EDIT: Got my directions turned around, fixed now.

Shyftir
2010-01-13, 04:26 PM
You would not have line of site. (Assuming you are 3 squares east(right)of the fire when you attempt to use the rain cloud.)

While waiting for his enemy, Shei-Lo concentrated. thinking through his repertoire of maneuvers. (He regains the use of Uncoiled Strike.)

He then stepped slightly forward and peered into the cavern he had exited before. (Moves 1 square south, to the mouth of the northern tunnel.)

DracoDei
2010-01-14, 11:15 AM
Move on top of peel at 3 way intersection (if I am not already there, in a hurry so I can't check right now). Drop a Peel one square west of the current one (because there is no way for me to back up down that corridor so that you would have to step on a peel to get withing 10' reach of me).

Shyftir
2010-02-22, 12:54 PM
Shei-Lo moves two squares to the south and one west standing with his back to the fire.

"Come on then mad man, let us just finish this."

He reaches out with his weapon and attempts to trip his opponent.

I'm basically gonna pull the role-playing aspect out and just fight so that this can actually finish.

Okay trip attack, starts with a melee touch attack, tripping weapon so weapon bonus applies, and you don't get the attack of opportunity because of my improved trip feat. If my melee touch attack hits then we roll opposed strength checks. (you can use dex instead if you want)
If I win you are tripped and I get a free attack role. If you win you can automatically try to trip me. I can drop my weapon if your return attempt succeeds to avoid it but I wouldn't.
So rolls:

Melee touch attack: [roll0]
if that hits... (touch AC remember)
Strength plus improved trip check: [roll1]
If that succeeds you are prone (you take a -4 to AC against melee and a -4 to attack rolls) and I get a free attack due to Improved Trip.
Attack roll: [roll2]
Damage roll: [roll3]

DracoDei
2010-02-22, 07:12 PM
((Touch attack misses.... Sword-sages have pretty good touch AC.))
Backing away from his opponent((5' step east)) LOLgax reaches behind himself and pulls out an odd contraption of crossed levers, ending in a boxing glove. He triggers it in Shei-Lo's direction... and misses by a wide margin ((Natural 1 on the attack roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7944078&postcount=46))).

Shyftir
2010-02-22, 07:45 PM
Shei-Lo pursues the swordsage taking a five foot step of his own into the space with the peel. Shei-Lo's foot comes nowhere near the peel.
((dice roller thread))

The Sohei smiles he has finally gotten a good chance to attack the swordsage. He raises his guisarme above his head and strikes with one mighty thrust.
((Green Asp Strike))

Initiating full round action Green Asp Strike.
Balance check: [roll0] If that beats your AC and the attack hits you'll need to make a DC 13 Fort Save or be dazed for 3 rounds.
Attack Roll: [roll1]
Normal Damage: [roll2]
Bonus Damage: [roll3]

DracoDei
2010-02-22, 08:04 PM
EDIT Martial Lore on the Green Asp Strike: 21 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7944565&postcount=49)

Original:
LOLgax giggles at their mutual lack of ability to hit eachother, and a stalactite of modest size above Shei-Lo's head loosens and falls towards the guardian's head Brick Drop Maneuver, Ranged Touch attack, Reflavored, and no you don't get an AoO... do I need to make that explicit in the discipline description or is it understood that even ranged maneuvers don't provoke?.

Brick Drop (1d20+6) (1d20+6)[14]
Damage if a hit 2d6 (2d6)[7].

LOLgax then moves as far north (then east) as he can without provoking an AoO... so probably just a 5' step north.