PDA

View Full Version : Goofy Random 3.5e Questions

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-28, 12:07 PM
I had like the ultimate "brain fart" with these, which kept me up until one in the morning wondering what in Pelor's name the answer was. And no "Rule 0" bs...

1. Drow Sign Language: If you know it, you can cast spells with it. However, lets say you lose your thumbs in a tragic Goblin accident. Can you still cast using Drow Sign Language, even though it requires 5 digits?

2. Drunken Master: In drunken master, you gain "proficiency in improvised weapons" and later you can "add your unarmed strike damage" on top of it. so how much damage would a Tauric Frost Giant/Monsterous Crab Ranger 5/Monk 5/ Drunken Master 5/Hulking Hurler 5 do if throwing a cow/house/whatever? Would this even be logical? And Hypothetically, could Shock Trooper turn "target X" into a thrown imporvised weapon?

3. Burning Things: Can fireball light 30 targets on fire if they happened to be sitting in a pool of oil? And could a flask of oil be used as a thrown weapon, followed by a candle to light some numbskull on fire?

4. Chains and other common items: What sorts of weapons can you all think of using only chains and any "utility items" usually found in a Player's bag/sack/whatever carrying vessle

more may come soon

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-28, 01:36 PM
I had like the ultimate "brain fart" with these, which kept me up until one in the morning wondering what in Pelor's name the answer was. And no "Rule 0" bs...

1. Drow Sign Language: If you know it, you can cast spells with it. However, lets say you lose your thumbs in a tragic Goblin accident. Can you still cast using Drow Sign Language, even though it requires 5 digits?

2. Drunken Master: In drunken master, you gain "proficiency in improvised weapons" and later you can "add your unarmed strike damage" on top of it. so how much damage would a Tauric Frost Giant/Monsterous Crab Ranger 5/Monk 5/ Drunken Master 5/Hulking Hurler 5 do if throwing a cow/house/whatever? Would this even be logical? And Hypothetically, could Shock Trooper turn "target X" into a thrown imporvised weapon?

3. Burning Things: Can fireball light 30 targets on fire if they happened to be sitting in a pool of oil? And could a flask of oil be used as a thrown weapon, followed by a candle to light some numbskull on fire?

4. Chains and other common items: What sorts of weapons can you all think of using only chains and any "utility items" usually found in a Player's bag/sack/whatever carrying vessle

more may come soon

1. Yes you could still cast. Due to the rules not taking into account the loss of limbs. Remember you are puddy.
2. This doesn't make any sense how is one a frost giant and a crab?
3. yes a fire ball could ignite 30 squares if they are all within range and have oil in them. and yes throwing a thing of oil and then throwing a candle is just like using alchemys fire i belive.. I think in the PHB under oil it talks about that.

4. I have no idea what you meen by this question

jmbrown
2009-12-28, 01:49 PM
1. Since when can drow cast using sign language? The rules for verbal components say you must speak vocally.

2. Improvised weapons deal damage based on their size. A hill giant can throw a rock that deals 2d6 points of damage so it's safe to assume it's a medium sized object since it deals the same damage as a medium greatsword. A cow is a large creature so assume a thrown cow, which has about the same dimensions as a boulder, deals 3d6.

You're not going to toss an entire house without causing the thing to collapse in on itself. You need to throw a dense, sturdy object unless your DM allows Comic Book Physics.

3. Fireball only ignites combustibles. Oil would catch on fire but the people standing in the oil wouldn't. They may catch on fire if they're splashed in oil and they'll certainly take additional damage from the burning liquid.

4. You can use any object as an improvised weapon provided it makes sense.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-28, 01:51 PM
1. Yes you could still cast. Due to the rules not taking into account the loss of limbs. Remember you are puddy.
2. This doesn't make any sense how is one a frost giant and a crab?
3. yes a fire ball could ignite 30 squares if they are all within range and have oil in them. and yes throwing a thing of oil and then throwing a candle is just like using alchemys fire i belive.. I think in the PHB under oil it talks about that.

4. I have no idea what you meen by this question

1. okay.
2. Tauric Template. Frost Giant from the waist up, Crab from waist down
3. Yay....Burning things
4. What sort of random weapons can be made from the random junk in a player's sack.

and I have one more.

5. Bag of Holding: My DM says that if you stick a bag of holding inside another, you crate a black hole. Is this true or not. And since a bag of holding "is a vacuum," could some rogue put it over a target's head and cut their head off?

olelia
2009-12-28, 01:57 PM
5. Bag of Holding: My DM says that if you stick a bag of holding inside another, you crate a black hole. Is this true or not. And since a bag of holding "is a vacuum," could some rogue put it over a target's head and cut their head off?

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane: The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process.

Doesn't appear to be correct. Seems to only work with portable holes and bags of holding, not just bags of holding.

ericgrau
2009-12-28, 02:06 PM
3. Yes and yes. The fireball spell description says specifically that it lights ignitable objects. See oil rules. Being on fire deals 1d6 damage per round. I'd avoid stacking multiple flasks b/c it can become abusive and b/c you can't be "more on fire".

jiriku
2009-12-28, 02:09 PM
Your DM is making stuff up. Although, DMs get to do that.

Shock Trooper wouldn't let you use a creature as a thrown weapon, but there are feats in Races of Stone called Fling Ally and Fling Enemy that do...pretty much what they advertise.

Also, there's a chart in the back of Complete Warrior that provides damage for improvised thrown objects based on their weight and pointyness.

ericgrau
2009-12-28, 02:13 PM

5. Not exactly. The rope trick spell description says putting extradimensional spaces inside eachother is hazardous, but the specifics are up to your DM. Only a portable hole inside a bag of holding or vis versa is spelled out specifically. I'd suggest a weaker effect to prevent mad bomber abuse since bags of holding are much cheaper than portable holes.

As for decapitating with a bag of holding, no, unless you destroy the bag of holding while doing it. It's like sticking your head through a portal; no big deal. I imagine this kind of combat tactic is going to require a lot of made up checks; talk to your DM.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-28, 02:14 PM

Shock Trooper wouldn't let you use a creature as a thrown weapon, but there are feats in Races of Stone called Fling Ally and Fling Enemy that do...pretty much what they advertise.

Also, there's a chart in the back of Complete Warrior that provides damage for improvised thrown objects based on their weight and pointyness.

so its still a bad idea to put two bags of holding inside each other...

and Thanks for the correction. Hmmmmmmmmm........Thats almost broken....

Telonius
2009-12-28, 03:27 PM
Frost Giant from the waist up, Crab from waist down
Yay....Burning things
What sort of random weapons can be made from the random junk in a player's sack.

+25 double entendre damage. :smalleek:

Darrin
2009-12-28, 08:55 PM

Show me in the description of Drow Sign Language where it says you need five digits and/or thumbs.

Reread Drunken Master, because it says no such thing. There's no text in the description that says you get proficiency with improvised weapons. It's implied, but not explicitly stated. Also, the text doesn't say add your unarmed strike damage, it says his improvised weapons deal the same damage as his unarmed strikes, plus a die type determined by his levels in Drunken Master (1d4, 1d8, or 1d12). (The PrC also doesn't advance his unarmed strike damage, so your base damage stays the same as it was when you entered the PrC).

Frost Giant is not a valid target for the Tauric template, which requires a humanoid or monstrous humanoid of small or medium size. Giant is a separate type, "humanoid-shaped" but does not have the humanoid type, and I don't think there are any giant types smaller than large size. The crab half should be fine, so long as it's medium or large size.

Assuming you have a tauric creature that is large-sized, with those classes, the damage for an improvised weapon would be the equivalent of a large-sized 5th level monk + 1d8 damage, so 2d6 + 1d8. Complete Warrior also has a table for determining the damage of an improvised weapon based on its weight, so you might want to go that route for higher damage. It would be a DM's call whether to use the damage by weight table or the damage specified by Drunken Master's text.

There aren't any explicit rules on whether or not someone covered in oil could be lit on fire. Flasks of oil can be lit and thrown as a splash weapon, and a creature can be in the same square where oil is burning (for 1d6 fire damage). But I don't imagine you'd get much argument from anyone that covering someone with oil and then lighting them on fire doesn't do at least 1d6 fire damage per round until they manage to put out the fire.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-28, 11:33 PM
Doesn't appear to be correct. Seems to only work with portable holes and bags of holding, not just bags of holding.

Well, the spell description for Rope Trick ominously notes "It is hazardous to create an extradimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one." However, Bag of Holding + Portable Hole is the only such combination that is dangerous by RAW, as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: And that's why I should read the entire thread before posting.

erikun
2009-12-28, 11:39 PM
Last I checked, verbal components (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components) were not in any specific language, so it doesn't matter how many fingers you have - you don't cast spells in Drow Sign anyways. That also means that you can't cast spells "silently" by using Down Sign as the "spoken" verbal component. Forgive me if there is some variant spellcasting rules somewhere that allows this.

Lost fingers don't seem to prevent you from using somantic components, though.

Stompy
2009-12-29, 12:02 AM
Lost fingers don't seem to prevent you from using somantic components, though.

To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). Additionally, you must concentrate to cast a spell.

Can you gesture without thumbs? (this may be spell specific; I know several hand gestures without thumbs. :smallwink:) Can you manipulate (or even retrieve) spell components without thumbs? (This seems hard to rule on without DM intervention.)

chain + 2 pickaxes = pickaxe-chuks

I'm going to throw my obscure question in here:

6. A BBEG is a idiotgaming sort of fellow, and sovereign glues a wizard's hands to a permanent wall of force. Can the wizard teleport away provided that:

If the glue is allowed to set, then attempting to separate the two bonded objects has no effect, except when universal solvent is applied to the bond.

awa
2009-12-29, 12:54 AM
also according to the rules a frost giant is to big for the tauric template its medium or small creatures only

Magnor Criol
2009-12-29, 01:15 AM
I agree with the consensus that Drow Sign Language doesn't actually let you do verbal components. I've always understood that the "verbal components" to magic weren't in any specific language, they were just Eldritch Utterances of Power (tm). Otherwise it might degenerate into wizards yelling "FIREBALL" at each other, and that just gets ugly.

2. Drunken Master: In drunken master, you gain "proficiency in improvised weapons" and later you can "add your unarmed strike damage" on top of it. so how much damage would a Tauric Frost Giant/Monsterous Crab Ranger 5/Monk 5/ Drunken Master 5/Hulking Hurler 5 do if throwing a cow/house/whatever? Would this even be logical?

You lost "logical" at "Frost Giant / Monstrous Crab" :smalltongue: