PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever use this item?

Radiun
2009-12-28, 03:47 PM
And if so, how and why?

Snidely Whiplash
NE intelligent whip
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 14
Ego 20(I think)
Can talk
10 ranks in Bluff and Knowledge (Local)
Special purpose: slaying constructs, is very vocal and forceful on the subject, but doesn't wish to fight anything else.

+1 Keen, Merciful, Throwing, Returning, Collision, Eager, Skillful Whip
Collision: +5 damage
Eager: Draw as a free action
Thrown 10 feet and returns to the square it was thrown from
Skillful: All can use it without feat
Stats
Damage (S/M): 1d2/1d3 +6 (+1 weapon, collision) +1d6 (Merciful) subdual slashing
Threat Range: 19-20 / X2

Whips deal no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher.

Honestly the only use I can see for it is to hold it up to my upper lip and have it bluff for me while laughing in a very vaudevillian way.

Aron Times
2009-12-28, 03:51 PM
As whips are suboptimal, no. :smallsmile:

taltamir
2009-12-28, 03:52 PM
its an EVIL and SENTIENT whip (that sucks as a weapon)... it is not an item... it is an enemy to kill for XP.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-28, 03:53 PM
...It can't even damage constructs.

N...no.

mabriss lethe
2009-12-28, 03:57 PM
I'd give it the ability to cast explosive runes and animate rope. And then use them to blow up train tracks and take random hostages.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 03:57 PM
Em, sell it? By RAW, that there is a massively valuable item.

taltamir
2009-12-28, 04:01 PM
its got an ego 20... and it refuses to fight non constructs, it wants to fight constructs all the time (Very vocal), and it cannot actually HARM a construct...

it is beyond useless.. anyone possessing it will be literally possessed by the whip due to ego contests, and force to their death via making them fight a construct with a weapon that cannot harm one.

Sinfire Titan
2009-12-28, 04:50 PM
Any Artificer with half a brain would put that to use immediately after obtaining it.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-28, 05:00 PM
no. it's neutral evil. I'm neutral good. although I'm sometiems true neutral.

Radiun
2009-12-28, 05:22 PM
no. it's neutral evil. I'm neutral good. although I'm sometimes true neutral.

Alignment discussion time!

An alignment like neutral good doesn't mean true neutral people aren't good. The only difference is the willingness to butt into other people's business with little provocation or invitation.

(In other words, most people, even good people, are TN. They may be willing to do extraordinary things for strangers, but it isn't a overly common occurrence.)

And that's the train of thought that lead all my campaign worlds to descend into neutrality

taltamir
2009-12-28, 05:23 PM
that doesn't mean you will use an evil, sentient item that can control your mind

Radiun
2009-12-28, 05:27 PM
that doesn't mean you will use an evil, sentient item that can control your mind

It sure as heck does

I likely wouldn't have any method of knowing it is evil, and it could always use it's +12 bluff skill on my little ol' self.

taltamir
2009-12-28, 05:28 PM
detect evil is an at will ability for many classes... level 0 spell for others. You would be a fool not to cast it at a sentient item.

the whole mind control issue is a biggie even if it is of the same alignment as you.

ericgrau
2009-12-28, 05:30 PM
Whips can't damage constructs, so no. It sounds like a cursed item, since you can't even throw it away :smalltongue:.

Radiun
2009-12-28, 05:36 PM
detect evil is an at will ability for many classes... level 0 spell for others.

Level 1 spell for clerics only (core only because I don't want to fish through every classes' spell list)
at will for paladin/splatbook's alignment-centric class

A level 12 wizard cannot detect evil (after that limited wish could)

Detecting evil isn't that universal

Signmaker
2009-12-28, 05:43 PM
Yes. It would take work, though. Most likely via duskblade whippomancy.

taltamir
2009-12-28, 05:44 PM
ok, sorry. Level 1 cleric, at will paladin...

you don't have anyone with divine casting in the party? even if not... before using a sentient item that can mind control you, you should go to a local temple and pay the level 1 cleric there some of your pocket change to cast it for you.

Radiun
2009-12-28, 05:45 PM
Yes. It would take work, though. Most likely via duskblade whippomancy.

Or a high level warlock (Hideous Blast and Vitriolic Blow, though that would have nearly noting to do with the whip)

Radiun
2009-12-28, 05:46 PM
ok, sorry. Level 1 cleric, at will paladin...

you don't have anyone with divine casting in the party? even if not... before using a sentient item that can mind control you, you should go to a local temple and pay the level 1 cleric there some of your pocket change to cast it for you.

Druid

and why would the whip randomly announce its presence?

taltamir
2009-12-28, 05:48 PM
Druid

and why would the whip randomly announce its presence?

announce? it mind controls the person making him:
1. Act evil
2. unwilling to fight anything but constructs
3. Very insistent on fighting constructs, with a whip.

And that happens the moment the character picks it up... anyone would immediately notice that the person has been taken over and could easily conclude it was the whip...

Asheram
2009-12-28, 06:17 PM
W...wait... Merciful? Doesn't it already Do subdual as it is a whip?
Throwing? Returing?

What kind of lunatic Made this weapon

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-28, 06:27 PM
announce? it mind controls the person making him:
1. Act evil
2. unwilling to fight anything but constructs
3. Very insistent on fighting constructs, with a whip.
Sounds like something you pick up with tongs and get the BBEG to hold. Put me down for a dozen.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-28, 06:29 PM
Interrogate for Knowledge (local). Disenchant for massive money. Study for information on the arcane workings of intelligent items.

taltamir
2009-12-28, 06:30 PM
Sounds like something you pick up with tongs and get the BBEG to hold. Put me down for a dozen.

lol... it is the ULTIMATE DEBUFF!
pick it up with tongs, throw it at the BBEG... on a successful touch attack he loses...

Heck, this is even better than casting tenser transformation on an enemy (I wish you could :))

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-28, 06:33 PM
I'd take Ancestral Relic and sacrifice the whip to convert its full value into a useful item of my choosing.

deuxhero
2009-12-28, 06:39 PM
Play an artificer, smash for XP.

Stegyre
2009-12-28, 06:41 PM
Any Artificer with half a brain and five levels would put that to use immediately after obtaining it.
Fixed for you. +1 (+2 if counting the preceding post).

taltamir
2009-12-28, 06:52 PM
is it me, or does that item have an obscenely high XP value?
I think it is worth multiclassing into artificer just to learn to disenchant that sucker.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 02:31 AM
its got an ego 20... and it refuses to fight non constructs, it wants to fight constructs all the time (Very vocal), and it cannot actually HARM a construct...

it is beyond useless.. anyone possessing it will be literally possessed by the whip due to ego contests, and force to their death via making them fight a construct with a weapon that cannot harm one.

Oh, I would use it. As a gift to show the pacifistic nature of me and my construct friends.

Wield it? Oh, hells no.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 02:34 AM
Level 1 spell for clerics only (core only because I don't want to fish through every classes' spell list)
at will for paladin/splatbook's alignment-centric class

A level 12 wizard cannot detect evil (after that limited wish could)

Detecting evil isn't that universal

No, but they can do things such as detect magic and identify items. Anyone who has been on the bad side of cursed items is going to use a little paranoia in determining what it is before using it.

Besides, it's a whip. The immediate response to a magical whip will likely be "sell it for loot", not, "oooh, I specialize in whips, gimmie".

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-30, 02:43 AM
Sure. If nothing else I'd get my hands on a scroll of polymorph any object, and a helm of opposite alignment, turn it Good, then see if I could use psychic reformation (or mindrape) to change its abilities around.

Otherwise, sell it (yeah, good luck on that) or disenchant it via an artificer cohort, or sacrifice it after taking the Ancestral Weapon feat, as has been mentioned.

If nothing else, I could Diplomance it into subservience. With dominate person. Or better yet, use mind seed, and find some way to alter its abilities.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-30, 02:45 AM
Sure. If nothing else I'd get my hands on a scroll of polymorph any object, and a helm of opposite alignment, turn it Good, then see if I could use psychic reformation (or mindrape) to change its abilities around.

Otherwise, sell it (yeah, good luck on that) or disenchant it via an artificer cohort, or sacrifice it after taking the Ancestral Weapon feat, as has been mentioned.

If nothing else, I could Diplomance it into subservience. With dominate person. Or better yet, use mind seed, and find some way to alter its abilities.

*I do believe that Dominate person only functions on humanoids. Just saying.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-30, 02:48 AM
*I do believe that Dominate person only functions on humanoids. Just saying.Hence the polymorph any object.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-30, 02:49 AM
Hence the polymorph any object.

Seems rather convoluted. I'd rather just be an artificer, and break it for craft XP.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-30, 02:50 AM
Seems rather convoluted. I'd rather just be an artificer, and break it for craft XP.Sometimes that's just not an option.

Like, say, if you are any other class maybe?

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-30, 02:56 AM
Sometimes that's just not an option.

Like, say, if you are any other class maybe?

Using a Scroll of PaO isn't too much better. You're looking at relatively high skill checks unless it's on your class list. Which, again, doesn't amount to a lot of classes.

Narazil
2009-12-30, 03:24 AM
Hence the polymorph any object.
So you want to turn the whip into a human, give it a magical helm to flip its morals around, Dominate it, then change its talents and abilities, and then turn in back into a whip (or something useful instead)?

Man, I love D&D.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 03:53 AM
So you want to turn the whip into a human, give it a magical helm to flip its morals around, Dominate it, then change its talents and abilities, and then turn in back into a whip (or something useful instead)?

Man, I love D&D.

Ah, magic...is there anything it CAN'T solve?

Narazil
2009-12-30, 03:54 AM
Ah, magic...is there anything it CAN'T solve?
Real life hunger, starvation and political feuds?

Optimystik
2009-12-30, 03:58 AM

http://attrice.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/buzzkill.jpg

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 04:34 AM

Oh hell, if we had D&D magic available in real life, I'd have "Solved" all those problems long ago.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-30, 04:40 AM
Oh hell, if we had D&D magic available in real life, I'd have "Solved" all those problems long ago.

This may be relevant. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0696.html)

Killer Angel
2009-12-30, 04:49 AM
What kind of lunatic Made this weapon

The one that wrote all that nice manuals of golem. What better way to protect your constructs?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 04:53 AM
This may be relevant. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0696.html)

The last part confuses me.

Yrcrazypa
2009-12-30, 08:02 AM
V's raven was telling him that it is a bad thing to kill your friends because they disagree with you just because you can.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 09:52 AM
V's raven was telling him that it is a bad thing to kill your friends because they disagree with you just because you can.

Still not making any sense.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-30, 10:00 AM
Still not making any sense.

you see Tyndmyr, when you kill somebody somebody else related to them will then want to kill you. they will then go out advnturing get to level 30 and utterly annihilate you.

Radiun
2009-12-30, 10:08 AM
you see Tyndmyr, when you kill somebody somebody else related to them will then want to kill you. they will then go out advnturing get to level 30 and utterly annihilate you.

You're thinking with small explosions

Big explosions will take care of all their relatives / witnesses

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 10:55 AM
Right. The larger the explosion, the greater number of problems solved.

Obviously, with a sufficiently large explosion, ALL possible problems can be solved.

Gamerlord
2009-12-30, 10:57 AM
I doubt I would use it, it is NE, cares only about construct-slaying, going to end up being a prob eventually.

Killer Angel
2009-12-30, 11:09 AM

...and that's the reason for someone created Familicide. :smallwink:

Longcat
2009-12-30, 11:11 AM
You know what this weapon lacks? It should be a legacy weapon. Usable only by Truenamers...

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-30, 11:19 AM
You know what this weapon lacks? It should be a legacy weapon. Usable only by Truenamers...Only if it gives you the 'bonus' of not being able to use your Truenaming skill. Ever again.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 11:21 AM
You know what this weapon lacks? It should be a legacy weapon. Usable only by Truenamers...

Now, now, that just isn't fair to non-truenamers. Would you withhold such power from them?

If it's a legacy truenaming weapon, it should clearly allow non-truenamers to cash in their levels for Truenamer ones.