PDA

View Full Version : The Myrmidon [3.5 Base Class, WIP, PEACH]

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 07:11 PM
I find myself dissapointed by ToB as a fix for melee-types. Indeed, I also find myself dissapointed by... well, everything. ToB has the flavor all wrong: if I want to play a fighter, I don't want to play a guy who calls out "FLAMING MONGOOSE STRIKE!" whenever he attacks. I want to play a soldier, a hardened warrior, a soldier, a man who kills people, perhaps with finesse, but not with pseudo-magical abilities. But at the other end of the spectrum, I don't want to play a character who just full attacks round after round. Thus, my goal with the Myrmidon: give the fighters options, but keep the feel of the fighter. I'll be going for a TWFer/sword and board type of character: perhaps I'll later make a variant that focuses on THFing.

I have the general idea all hammered out, but for now it feels very... sloppy. So, any critiques/advice you could give would be much appreciated. Specifically, on when you get the abilities and ability names... it's a work in progress. I'll update later with some cool Myrmidon offhand weapons.
Anyhow, without further ado...

The Myrmidon: or, what I think the fighter should've been: or, a ton of bonus feats and random abilites thrown on a full-BAB class.http://vandel.dk/magic/black/Black%20Knight.jpg

The Myrmidon is, first and foremost, a soldier. He specializes in fighting a bunch of people, and killing them, while not being killed himself. He's strong, skilled, and blunt, using techniques that are simple and effective: a pragmatist with a sword.

Adventures: Don't expect to find a Myrmidon climbing a tower to defeat an evil mage, or going spelunking in a black dragon lair, unless circumstances have forced him there. A Myrmidon is found in a village militia, a captain of the guard, a master of arms: he is a soldier at heart. Still, killing things is killing things, so it wouldn't take much to bring a Myrmidon into a party of adventurers: indeed, eventually he might even hone his skills to slay more exotic opponents.

Alignment: The Myrmidon is generally neutral, with a slight bent towards lawfulness to explain a likely military background, but a Myrmidon may be of any alignment. Any man may fight.

Races: Any race with a military could create a Myrmidon. Humans especially, and dwarves, though orcs respect their ability to fight, and elves respect their skill and finesse. Other races, like gnomes and halflings, generally do not become Myrmidons.

Abilities: All of the physical skills are equally important to a Myrmidon. Unlike most melee classes, strength is not supremely vital, as the Myrmidon has other sources of damage than brute force: it is still nonetheless important. Dexterity helps a couple of his abilities and raises his AC, while constitution also helps. Intelligence aids several of his class abilities, as well.

HD: d12.

Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Ride, Profession (Any), Spot, Swim, Tumble, UMD.

Skill Points per Level: 4+Int Modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Focus Points, Canny Swordsman

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Focus Points

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Focus Points

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Focus Points

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Focus Points

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Dual Weapon Fighter

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Opportunist

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Gotcha!, Offhand Defense +1

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Offhand Expertise

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Deft Hands

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Dual Strike, Offhand Defense +2

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Quicker Two Weapon Fighting

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Eat Your Heart Out, Abjurant Champion!

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|Offhand Defense +3, Tactics

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|Martial Artist

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|In the Face

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Offhand Defense +4, Stunning Kick

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Lash Out Like The Octopus Who Plays the Drums

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Strongarm

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Nova, Offhand Defense +5[/table]

Canny Swordsman (ex): When attacking a flat-footed opponent, the myrmidon gets a bonus to damage equal to his Myrmidon class levels+ his intelligence modifier.

Feats: All feats gained as class features by the myrmidon are gained regarless of whether or not he qualifies for them.

Focus Points: The Myrmidon gains 3 focus points every level until level 5, which must be spent on the abilities below. Each focus point buys one ability. Abilities in each area of focus must be bought in order.
In addition, at every odd level after 5, the Myrmidon gains one more focus point to be spent as he pleases.

Guile:
Guile I: The Myrmidon gains Combat Expertise as a bonus feat.
Guile II: The Myrmidon gains Improved Disarm as a bonus feat. In addition, whenever the myrmidon successfully disarms an opponent, they provoke an attack of opportunity from him.
Guile III: The Myrmidon gains Improved Feint as a bonus feat.
Guile IV: The Myrmidon gains Improved Trip as a bonus feat.
Guile V: The Myrmidon gains Dodge and Mobility as bonus feats. Dodge now is a general bonus to AC, that applies to all attackers.
Guile VI: The Myrmidon gains Spring Attack as a bonus feat.
Guile VII: The Myrmidon gains Whirlwind Attack asa bonus feat.
Guile VIII+: Every Guile point spent beyond the 7th gives him a +1 bonus to AC from dodge.

Force:
Force I: The Myrmidon gains Power Attack as a bonus feat. In addition, the Myrmidon qualifies for feats as a fighter of his level.
Force II: The Myrmidon gains Great Cleave as a bonus feat.
Force III: The Myrmidon gains Improved Sunder as a bonus feat. In addition, whenever he successfully destroys an object held by another person, they provoke an attack of opportunity from him.
Force IV: The Myrmidon gains Improved Bull Rush as a bonus feat. A successful bull rush deals 1d8 nonlethal damage to an opponent. In addition, if the opponent's movement from the bull rush is halted by a wall or obstacle, they take damage equal to 1d6+2x the Myrmidon's strength modifier for each 5 feet of movement the obstacle halted them.
Force V: The Myrmidon gains Improved Overrun as a bonus feat, and does not provoke an opportunity during his overrun attempt. In addition, any opponent knocked prone by an overrun attempt from the Myrmidon provokes an attack of opportunity from him.
Force VI+: Each point spent beyond the 5th in force gives the Myrmidon a bonus feat from the weapon focus/weapon specialization line, or shield or armor focus/specialization line.

Pugilism:
Pugilism I: The Myrmidon gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.
Pugilism II: The Myrmidon gains Improved Grapple as a bonus feat.
Pugilism III: The Myrmidon gains Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat.
Pugilism IV: The Myrmidon gains Snatch Arrows as a bonus feat.
Pugilism V: The Myrmidon gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, usable a number of times per day equal to his intelligence modifier, and with an intelligence based DC (instead of wisdom).
Pugilism VI+: Each point in Pugilism beyond the 5th gives you one extra use of stunning fist per day, as well as +1 to the DC.

Dual-Weapon Fighter: The Myrmidon gains Two-Weapon Fighting as a bonus feat, and can make iterative attacks based on BAB with his offhand weapon normally. In addition, making a shield bash with a shield halves the shield bonus gained (rounded down), rather than negating it entirely as normal.

Opportunist: The Myrmidon gains a number of additional attacks of opportunity per round equal to his dexterity modifier+ his intelligence modifier. This does not stack with combat reflexes.

Gotcha!: Whenever a Myrmidon makes an attack of opportunity against an opponent, they are considered flat-footed for that attack.

Offhand Defense: Whenever the Myrmidon is wielding a weapon or shield in their offhand, they gain a +1 shield bonus to AC. This increases every 3 levels, up to +5 at level 20.

Offhand Expertise: Whenever the Myrmidon successfully strikes an opponent with his right-hand weapon and is wielding something in his offhand, he may expend an attack of opportunity to make an attack against that opponent with his offhand weapon. This does not reduce the shield bonus to AC at all, if that weapon happens to be a shield.

Deft Hands: A Myrmidon with a weapon in his offhand gains +4 to feint and disarm attempts, and if that weapon happens to be a shield, +4 to overrun and bull rush attempts as well.

Dual Striking: On an Attack of Opportunity, the Myrmidon attacks with both his main hand and offhand weapon.

Quicker Two Weapon Fighting: The Myrmidon, when attacking with a standard action, may attack with both his main hand and offhand weapon. He may not use both this ability and Offhand Expertise in the same round.

Eat Your Heart Out, Abjurant Champion!: The Myrmidon can, by pressing his shield against an opponent's, control their own shield.
A Myrmidon next to an opponent within one size category of himself and has a shield bonus may use this ability as a move action.
He makes an opposed strength check. If successful, both the Myrmidon and his opponent both lose their shield bonuses to AC. The enemy the Myrmidon used this on is also considered flat-footed, and if they move, even with a 5-foot step, it provokes an attack of opportunity.

Tactics: The Myrmidon gains any tactical feat which he qualifies for.

Martial Artist: As a part of a full attack action, the Myrmidon may also make one unarmed strike at his highest BAB.
In addition, he is always considered to have a weapon in either hand so long as he is not flat footed, whether he is armed or not.

Stunning Kick: The Myrmidon may use his stunning fist ability whenever he makes an unarmed strike, even in a full attack.

In the Face: The Myrmidon, when attacking with his offhand weapon, may choose to forgo all damage: if he hits, the opponent must make a reflex save vs. DC (10+1/2 Myrmidon Class Levels+Int Modifier+Dex Modifier) or be blinded for 1 round.

Lash Out Like The Octopus Who Plays the Drums: The Myrmidon may make an unarmed strike for every iterative attack he makes, based on BAB, during a full attack action.

Strongarm: The Myrmidon may treat his main hand weapon as a 2-handed weapon for purposes of damage, and his offhand weapon as one-handed for purposes of damage. In addition, the Myrmidon does not take any penalties for wielding 2 weapons, including wielding a non-light weapon on the offhand.
Tower shields can now be bashed with: they deal 1d6 base damage, or 1d8 if spiked.

Nova: When attacking with a standard action, the Myrmidon may make a full attack. When attacking with a full attack action, the Myrmidon makes 2 full attacks.

Tavar
2009-12-28, 07:18 PM
Please explain where the Warblade fails to meet any of your criteria.

Honestly, I'm asking, as it seems to fit perfectly.

arguskos
2009-12-28, 07:29 PM
Please explain where the Warblade fails to meet any of your criteria.

Honestly, I'm asking, as it seems to fit perfectly.
Is this relevant? He doesn't like it. Debating ToB isn't really important to what he's looking for, which is evaluation of the Myrmidon.

As for the Myrmidon itself, it's really just a pile of stuff. It's not really something that I am super impressed by, though some of the higher level effects are interesting.

I think that Focus Points are probably the best idea here. I love tree effects like that.

Temotei
2009-12-28, 07:36 PM
Err...pugilism's not finished.

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 07:42 PM
Is this relevant? He doesn't like it. Debating ToB isn't really important to what he's looking for, which is evaluation of the Myrmidon.
Well, it's a relevant question. And the answer is, I don't really like the flavor of the maneuvers. I'd rather go for something with general class abilities.

As for the Myrmidon itself, it's really just a pile of stuff. It's not really something that I am super impressed by, though some of the higher level effects are interesting.
I completely recognize that. That's why it's a work in progress. For now, I just wanted to get all my work down on paper, or so to speak. Any advice on how to not make it just a pile of stuff would be greatly appreciated... as I'm stumped. I don't really want to pare down any of the abilities, as I want to give a lot of options in combat.:smallredface:

I think that Focus Points are probably the best idea here. I love tree effects like that.

I was thinking of just making all the abilities based off of focus points, but that would make it tricky for the higher level abilities.

Err...pugilism's not finished.
Fixed.

Tavar
2009-12-28, 08:14 PM
By having a rather large section devoted to justifying why he wants to make the class, I though he kinda was inviting questions. Especially since they don't really address the fact that Warblade's maneuvers flavor can be summed up as "I hit things hard". Really far out there, as you can see.

My impressions of the class:
This is god-like as a 1 or 2 level dip for rogues, or anyone who needs the Dodge line.

You mention forehand weapon a couple times: this should be main hand in DnD terminology.

Tactics seems okay: now people might actually use more than 1 or 2 tactical feats.

Dual Weapon Fighter-okay, and it merges the TWF line, something that should have been done from the start. Note that the Improved Shield Bash feat pretty much negates the "In addition, making a shield bash with a shield halves the shield bonus gained (rounded down), rather than negating it entirely as normal."

Martial Artist-why not just give them Improved Unarmed Strike, instead of the "they are always armed line"? Seems more elegant, plus this way they don't provoke on every attack.

Strongarm-this is a bit confusing. I realize that the main thing is that they deal full/1.5 Str damage, but what about the attack bonus/penalties?

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 08:28 PM
This is god-like as a 1 or 2 level dip for rogues, or anyone who needs the Dodge line.
I clarified it to say intelligence modifier+ Myrmidon class levels. And you need 2 levels to grab dodge and mobility. So, it's better than a fighter dip...

You mention forehand weapon a couple times: this should be main hand in DnD terminology.
Well, that'll be a pain to edit. But... edited.

Tactics seems okay: now people might actually use more than 1 or 2 tactical feats.
Well, like I said... options.

Dual Weapon Fighter-okay, and it merges the TWF line, something that should have been done from the start. Note that the Improved Shield Bash feat pretty much negates the "In addition, making a shield bash with a shield halves the shield bonus gained (rounded down), rather than negating it entirely as normal."
Well, yes, and a class ability a few levels down also negates it.

Martial Artist-why not just give them Improved Unarmed Strike, instead of the "they are always armed line"? Seems more elegant, plus this way they don't provoke on every attack.
Several class abilities require you to be wielding a weapon in the offhand. This allows them to use an unarmed strike. Or does improved unarmed strike do that? And Pugilism I gives IUS anyways.:smallsigh:

Strongarm-this is a bit confusing. I realize that the main thing is that they deal full/1.5 Str damage, but what about the attack bonus/penalties?
Ah. Clarified and expanded.

arguskos
2009-12-28, 08:30 PM
Well, it's a relevant question. And the answer is, I don't really like the flavor of the maneuvers. I'd rather go for something with general class abilities.
I dunno, Homebrew is for making things and debating them, not entertaining angry arguments about books and stuff. Your call though. Didn't mean to chastise you or anything, but I really REALLY hate when folks attack positions first, and ignore hard work second. :smallannoyed:

I completely recognize that. That's why it's a work in progress. For now, I just wanted to get all my work down on paper, or so to speak. Any advice on how to not make it just a pile of stuff would be greatly appreciated... as I'm stumped. I don't really want to pare down any of the abilities, as I want to give a lot of options in combat.:smallredface:
Sadly, I am too. I think that building on the focus points would be best, since that's actually a mechanic that has some real promise I think.

For example, you can make tiers of Focus abilities. Each tier takes a certain amounts of points to take abilities from and has requisites. Just a random thought. That, or make more Focus trees. Maybe you can grant tactical feat-like tricks in Focus trees?

Gorgondantess
2009-12-28, 08:34 PM
For example, you can make tiers of Focus abilities. Each tier takes a certain amounts of points to take abilities from and has requisites. Just a random thought. That, or make more Focus trees. Maybe you can grant tactical feat-like tricks in Focus trees?

Hm... good idea. I'll think about it... but for now, I'm wiped. Writing this class up has been exhausting: that shall be a trial for another time.
For now, I'd like to see if I can work with what I have.

Tavar
2009-12-28, 08:53 PM
Improved Unarmed Strike already counts you as armed, yes.

You should state that Offhand defense stacks with other shield bonuses.

Now, on to whether the class actually meets it's goals, I'm going to have to say not really. Yeah, this probably brings TWF/S&B closer to THF, but that's not the key problem. The plain truth is that most combat options are pretty bad, and this doesn't make them much better. Plus, the fact that they don't get many of the feats that would help them meet prerequisites(for example, TWF) is somewhat odd.

Plus, the fact that, as written originally, you pretty much straighjackeded them in terms of class build makes me think that this would be better as a PrC as it stands.

srgonzo
2009-12-30, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking there's something missing here. I'd like to see some type of variant attack type. When I'm seeing this Myrmidon, I'm thinking of a kind of soldier who doesn't really waste time fighting when he can just kill his opponent. Perhaps attacks which directly impact ability scores might work here. In keeping with the philosophy of a feat like Sunder, a Myrmidon might elect to use an unarmed attack to break an opponent's leg, foot, ankle and seriously impact dexterity. Maybe the Myrmidon chooses to attack an artery. While it wouldn't necessarily do much HP damage at first, that would definitely create issues with an opponent's constitution. I think if there were a 'Focus Tree' which allowed for these kinds of attacks (maybe a little sneak attack damage thrown in here and there), the class would be a little more awe-inspiring.