PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Dwarfiest Human

Thurbane
2009-12-28, 08:18 PM
Hey all, I'm floating a character concept of a Human raised by Dwarves (a little like Carrot), and I'm wondering how Dwarf-like a Human can be.

I'm looking at a melee type, so I'm thinking Fighter 2/Stone Blessed 3/Dwarf Paragon 3/Dwarven Defender X

This is meant to be a flavorful character, not necessarily mechanically optimized (yes, I know Fighter and Dwarven Defender aren't optimal). Any suggestions? Feats? Gear?

I'm thinking the True Believer (Moraddin) feat to use the Shield of the Resolute and Axe of Ancestral Virtue...

SurlySeraph
2009-12-28, 08:20 PM
Paladin levels or a wand to get the Silverbeard spell (you grow a MAGIC BEARD that gives you +2 AC and a bonus to Diplomacy checks vs. dwarfs) might make sense. Or just pay for Permanencied Silverbeard.

As for gear, a Belt of Dwarvenkind, hammer, axe, and alcoholic beverage are all crucial.

Asheram
2009-12-28, 08:23 PM
First of all, you ought to try and get the concept pass a DM, since Dwarven defender is a Dwarven Only class...

But I agree with you, the concept is somewhat awesome... If I were a DM, I'd love to make an exception for you with the race.

Tavar
2009-12-28, 08:23 PM
Well, Deepstone Sentinel is pretty much a better version of the Dwarven Defender, though it is ToB and thus not everyone's cup of tea.

Edit: Stoneblessed 3 allows you to take certain Race only feats and classes as if you were a member of that race. The race that you can use it for depends on a choice, though this would obviously be a Dwarf one.

Thurbane
2009-12-28, 08:27 PM
First of all, you ought to try and get the concept pass a DM, since Dwarven defender is a Dwarven Only class...

But I agree with you, the concept is somewhat awesome... If I were a DM, I'd love to make an exception for you with the race.
As Tavar points out, the 3rd level of Stoneblessed allows you to count as a Dwarf for pretty much everything, including Dwarf-only feats and PrCs.

Slayn82
2009-12-28, 08:33 PM
So, Carrot Ironfounderson of Ankh - Morpok?

Tavar
2009-12-28, 08:37 PM
Considering that he's mentioned in the first post, yes.

Grumman
2009-12-28, 08:59 PM
I'd suggest Knight over Fighter, just so you can show a proper dwarven disregard for the hundreds of pounds of equipment you are carrying.

Also, I'd suggest two levels of Deepwarden, if the DM allows the CON to AC bonus to avoid the Max DEX of your armour.

herrhauptmann
2009-12-28, 09:40 PM
If you're going to take 'true believer' I'd suggest shifting into Pious Templar as well.
You've already got one of the primary requirements for the PrC, in exchange you get limited casting, but at a rate faster than paladin or ranger. (Pretty sure it's paladin spells, but cleric is good too).

But before that, yeah, definitely take Deepwarden 2. Take more levels of deepwarden if you're feeling like it, but those 2 are pretty much essential.
Beyond that, deeprift defender. It's like dwarven defender, but is specialized for tunnel fighting. (I'd actually go half ogre deeprift, you're morelikely to be fighting in cramped conditions as an ogre than a dwarf or human, I know you want ogre, but that's my opinion there). I think it's unapproachable east.

Aldizog
2009-12-28, 11:26 PM
Dwarven Defender actually has "Dwarven" in the class name and so is dwarfier than Deepstone Sentinel or Deepwarden or Deeprift Defender. Thus, for maximum dwarfiness, Dwarven Defender wins. Dwarf Paragon is also a solid choice.

See if you can retrain to get the dwarven substitution levels for Fighter, as well as the racial feats from RoS.

mshady
2009-12-29, 04:30 AM
Well I would not worry so much about the build, but the character. A human who never cuts his hair or shaves, and is perhaps short for a human male and thus not much taller than an actual dwarf. Figure a stocky, fire plug build?

Pretty much, he looks like a dwarf but actually is a human. Hello identity crisis and some good commentary on what dwarves really think of humans and why. A good concept to explore. I even run a dwarf campaign and might have an opening down the line for ya with that concept.

MShady

Soranar
2009-12-29, 04:50 AM
I'd go Battlesmith

should fit nicely with your idea + you get to make your own magic gear