PDA

View Full Version : Trial Run: Valrea

Rizban
2009-12-28, 08:35 PM
Official Map:Will update this image as you explore, so check this post often.
http://mornproductions.com/NED_Trials/Valrea/map.png

Valrea finds herself in a 50'x50' room of with smooth stone walls and floors. This chamber is brightly lit by lamps built snugly into the wall. There are doors east and south.

Koretsu
2009-12-28, 09:46 PM
Valrea looks about the room, breathing in and out slowly. She's been waiting for this.

Valrea examines the room, taking note of things such as the height of the ceiling, the number and type of light sources, any unusual odors, and the color and type of stone along the walls. She places a hand on the stone wall, testing the temperature, and seeing if she can discern her depth underground.

She takes time to examine anything else she might see in the room. If possible, she extinguishes the lamps along the wall (I assume they're either lanterns or torches. Once all the lights are out, she looks around the room again (Darkvision 60) to see if there are any other sources of light, perhaps coming through the doorways to the south and east.

She then goes to both doors, noting their design and material, and listening carefully and examining each door in turn for signs of what might be on the other side, as well as testing the door for traps of some sort.

Relevant dicings Spoilered so I don't see the results - If you have another method you want to use, let me know

Knowledge: Dungeoneering [roll0]
Search (the room) [roll1]
Listen (east door) [roll2]
Search (east door) [roll3]
Listen (south door) [roll4]
Search (south door) [roll5]
Note: Stonecunning grants me an automatic search check if I come within 10 feet of a secret door in the stone, and a +2 to the search relating to stone (not reflected in the skill rolls above).

Posting my sheet here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=175668) for ease of reference.

Rizban
2009-12-28, 09:58 PM
The ceiling of this room is about 15 feet high. Odd lamps are placed in each corner of the room and the center of each wall. Easily extinguished, no more light is visible in the room, not even from the cracks around the doors.

Valrea can't tell how deep she is underground. Either there is no surface far above her, or... any other option is too terrible to even think.

Both doors are identical, wood bound with sturdy steel and of exceptional quality. Where the handle would normally by found are instead three finger sized holes. There appears to be no obvious way to open either door.

Valrea hears nothing at either door.

Searching the doors reveals that inside each finger hole is a button, as well as small slits from which a blade would emerge. Obviously, one of the buttons unlocks the door, while the other two will leave Valrea nursing a stub where her finger used to be. She also notes that there is no way to effectively disable the finger trap without also jamming the lock, forcing her to break down the door to proceed beyond it. She is unable to ascertain which hole contains the button to open the door and assumes the correct hole will be different at each door.

Koretsu
2009-12-28, 10:02 PM
How wide are these finger holes? I'm assuming I could fit another object of similar size into the hole. Would the haft of my throwing axes qualify?

EDIT: Gonna be stepping out for the evening here in a little bit, so don't wait up for me. :smallredface:

Rizban
2009-12-28, 10:24 PM
They are about an inch across. The haft of a throwing axe would just barely fit inside.

Koretsu
2009-12-29, 05:42 AM
Valrea heads to the eastern door, pulls a throwing axe from her belt, and inserts the haft into the middle hole.

If that does not open the door, and there are no further surprises, she'll try the bottom-most hole, possibly with a new axe, depending on the damage the trap does to the haft. (Hardness 5, 2 HP)

Rizban
2009-12-29, 11:55 AM
A loud SHINK! emanates from the hole. Valrea pulls back her axe, leaving a piece of the haft behind.\

((That one throwing axe now has a -1 to attack rolls due to being less balanced but can still be used. Further chops will provide cumulative -1 penalties, up to -5, after which the axe will be unusable.))

Koretsu
2009-12-29, 03:23 PM
Oof. =/ I was hoping the thickness of the wood would let it stand up to a little punishment. Ah well. As I said, I'll push the bottom-most hole, this time with an arrow, instead (I'm assuming the ten-foot pole won't fit in these little holes, but if that's not the case, by all means, let me know so I don't go destroying my weapons further.

If the bottom-most hole does not work, and again, assuming there are no further surprises, I'll push the top-most hole, again with either the 10-foot pole, or the now broken arrow.

Rizban
2009-12-29, 03:29 PM
Valrea hears a soft click as the door unlocks.

Koretsu
2009-12-29, 03:44 PM
Valrea pulls a piece of chalk from her belt, and makes a mark on the door, drawing a dwarven rune next to the bottom hole. She then pulls the door open a crack, and both looks and listens through it. If she sees no sign of activity, she'll slip through, keeping as low and quiet as possible, but pausing to examine the door in profile view for any clue as to it's workings, or if the same button on the other side might not work as hoped.

Dicings
Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide (If applicable): [roll1]
Knowledge: Dungeoneering (If applicable): [roll2]

Hi-ho, hi-ho... It's off to work I go. Back in eightish hours.

Rizban
2009-12-29, 03:47 PM
A razor sharp blade that Valrea failed to find slices up out of the floor beneath her feet as the door opens.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

The blade slices into her legs. Valrea takes 7 damage.

Koretsu
2009-12-30, 12:24 AM
Not just traps, but double traps? :smalleek:

Can Val slip out the door without the trap going off again, or is she back where she was a post ago? If so, then still following the actions outlined in the previous post.

HP Remaining: 6

Rizban
2009-12-30, 03:28 AM
((Lucky for you, it's a manual reset trap. It hasn't reset, so you should be safe... at least from that trap.
Also, whenever I describe a new room or hall or something, I'll put it on the map in the first post. Check it often. I won't mention the map again past this point. If it doesn't look updated, try opening the link to the image itself and refreshing it.))

The side view of the door reveals nothing beyond two large deadbolts which retracted into the door when the correct button was pressed.

The hallway beyond the door runs south for 30 feet before turning east. Even from here, you can see another identical door just around the corner.

Koretsu
2009-12-30, 05:20 AM
Cursing her own stupidity and nursing the gash in her leg, Val looks for a way to disable the blade trap. She makes careful note of the workings of the trap. In particular, she's looking both for ways to disarm and simply bypass the it. Once she's gleaned all possible information she can from it, Val draws another rune near the trap with the chalk.

With that done, she slips down the hallway, quietly as possible, still looking for signs of light or sound in the darkness. When she reaches the door, she decided to take the cautious route, and takes twenty on a search check. Again, any traps she finds, she is looking not just for ways to disable said trap, but to bypass it.

Relevant dicings
Move Silently: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: (Take 20)
Knowledge: Dungeoneering: [roll2]

HP Remaining: 6

Rizban
2009-12-30, 02:50 PM
You notice that the blade trap on the first door is reset by closing the door but that opening the door from the hallway is safe as the blade only swings inside of the room.

At the second door, you discover that another nasty trap is connected to this door. Should you open this door, a massive stone block will swing down from out of the ceiling, potentially crushing an unwary victim against the wall.

Fortunately, the hallway itself was not trapped.