PDA

View Full Version : How did Elan know about the ghost paladins?

Lorenzo
2009-12-28, 09:44 PM
None of the order were present for the ghost battle. Did I miss something?

Shale
2009-12-28, 09:45 PM
O-Chul was there, and had a chance to brief the Order on everything he saw.

Gift Jeraff
2009-12-28, 09:45 PM
Hinjo told Durkon.

Conuly
2009-12-28, 09:46 PM
He bought the book.

Partof1
2009-12-28, 10:27 PM
Elan knows everything about stories. The paladins were a part of the story.

Turkish Delight
2009-12-28, 10:55 PM
Hinjo mentioned to Durkon the Paladins were there as reinforcements. It stands to reason he explained off-panel to Durkon and Elan just what that means in practice.

zql
2009-12-29, 12:39 AM
He bought the book.

Maybe he got an arrangement (http://www.giantitp.com/Shop.html)with the Giant.
:smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2009-12-29, 11:06 AM
I'm guessing they were briefed after the fact. Hinjo has stated that he doesn't want to deal in lies and misdirection like his uncle. Now that the ghost martyrs are no longer there, he might as well tell them about it. Especially if they thought the other members of the Order of the Scribble might have wanted to know what happened to Soon.

Ancalagon
2009-12-29, 11:34 AM
Actually, I think it's a mistake that Elan knows about how nice Soon was. It's the reaction you'd expect by Elan if he had met and talked to Soon.

It's not an important glitch. We should get over it.

the_tick_rules
2009-12-29, 11:42 AM
I'm assuming since Haley said he was human back then Elan was refering to just Soon. He said ghost-paladin, no plural. Elan was well aware he shuffled off the mortal coil.

Ancalagon
2009-12-29, 11:56 AM
I'm assuming since Haley said he was human back then Elan was refering to just Soon. He said ghost-paladin, no plural. Elan was well aware he shuffled off the mortal coil.

Elan first talked about a "ghost-paladin", then Haley corrected him that he was a "normal human, back then", when Elan babbled about the "human-ghost". That was the joke in that panel. ;)

Asta Kask
2009-12-29, 12:08 PM
Actually, I think it's a mistake that Elan knows about how nice Soon was. It's the reaction you'd expect by Elan if he had met and talked to Soon.

I think Elan assumes that everyone is nice. It is Elan, after all.

Ancalagon
2009-12-29, 12:31 PM
I think Elan assumes that everyone is nice. It is Elan, after all.

His remark is still somewhat... strange given that he does not know Soon.

Your explanation is possible but I still think the more likely scenario is a mistake by the Giant OR that he just wanted to make that joke and ignored the fact Elan would not be able to make that remark.
I liked that joke so, no matter what it is, it's fine with me.

bluewind95
2009-12-29, 01:06 PM
Elan would know that Soon defended the gate, no? Therefore he's on their side. And a paladin. Plus, he probably heard stories. He can very easily think Soon is a nice guy.

veti
2009-12-29, 03:29 PM
Elan would know that Soon defended the gate, no? Therefore he's on their side. And a paladin. Plus, he probably heard stories. He can very easily think Soon is a nice guy.

Nah, Elan doesn't think (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0231.html) paladins are automatically nice. And O-Chul didn't see Soon being 'nice' (comforting the dying Miko), because he was flying through the air at the time on his way to becoming Mr Stiffly.

I think the only way to explain this one away involves Elan having read that part of the book. It's a bardic special ability.

Asta Kask
2009-12-29, 03:32 PM
Nah, Elan doesn't think (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0231.html) paladins are automatically nice.

But that was after he had had extra evidence. If he assumes that they're nice until proven otherwise, then the argument still stands.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-01-02, 11:45 AM
Bards have good lore checks, and the fall of Azure City was months ago so news probably spread about the battle, so Elan could have found it via a bardic knowledge check. :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-06, 10:01 PM
There's also the fact that what Soon et al did was REALLY COOL, Elan might like Soon because he did cool things.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-06, 10:27 PM
Bards have good lore checks, and the fall of Azure City was months ago so news probably spread about the battle, so Elan could have found it via a bardic knowledge check. :smalltongue:
Hinjo and Durkon are discussing Soon's ghost in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html), right in front of Elan. He likely heard enough then to get a basic understandering of what happened.