PDA

View Full Version : Force & Objects >.>

Narmy
2009-12-28, 11:56 PM
Would there be any problems with allowing magic missile and all other magic missile like spells, perhaps force spells in general to affect objects?

What would be the problem? lol

deuxhero
2009-12-29, 12:01 AM
Force is alreddy the best damage type, does it need to be beter?

That said, allowing it to hit The Darkness...

Saintjebus
2009-12-29, 12:01 AM
If darkness can be considered an object, that would let you attack the darkness!!!! And it would be an auto-hit!!!!!!

Edit: NINJA'ED! And here I thought I was so clever.....

Narmy
2009-12-29, 12:05 AM
Well, considering that it's all jokes thus far. I see no real negatives against allowing it. lol.

Saintjebus
2009-12-29, 12:11 AM
sorry, I couldn't help myself.

On topic: I don't see any problem with it- in fact, I don't see anywhere that those spells can't affect objects- just remember that objects have hardness, hitpoints, etc. For example:

The Darkness has a hardness of 10 and 20 HP. If my magic missile does 2d4 damage(6), nothing happens- I haven't bypassed it's hardness. If I level up some more, and maximize my magic missile at 5d4, my damage is 20. The shadow takes 10 damage. (10 damage goes to destroying the hardness, and 10 hits the HP)

I believe that if I then attacked it with my next attack and did 7 damage, it would then have 3 HP left, but I can't remember if hardness disappears after you do damage to it.

Glimbur
2009-12-29, 12:19 AM
Nope, hardness happens on every attack. And on each missile, as it turns out.

Grumman
2009-12-29, 12:19 AM
Would there be any problems with allowing magic missile and all other magic missile like spells, perhaps force spells in general to affect objects?

What would be the problem? lol
I was under the impression that this is a problem that exists only for magic missile and not other force spells, and is a problem of targetting, not damage. For some reason you can only get a "missile lock" on a creature, not on his sword or on a door.

Saintjebus
2009-12-29, 12:22 AM
Nope, hardness happens on every attack. And on each missile, as it turns out.

Ah. I was so wrong...... The Darkness wins.

Anyway: I was not aware that magic missile would not work against objects. The example I gave was partially from a game- except replace "The Darkness" with "a door".

Narmy
2009-12-29, 12:24 AM
Well, I'm not making it a house rule for all of my games.

All magic missle, and force spells can and DO affect objects.

Meaning that if my magic missile can affect the ogre, it can affect the rock behind him. Which then leads to the rock landing on his fat head.

Any who.

This entire idea was inspired by the concept of using a magic missile to set off an avalanche

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-29, 12:26 AM
Ah. I was so wrong...... The Darkness wins.

Anyway: I was not aware that magic missile would not work against objects. The example I gave was partially from a game- except replace "The Darkness" with "a door".

Well, I do believe that the target for magic missile limits it to creatures, which would make it illegal to target a door, unless it were Animated, per animate object.

Saintjebus
2009-12-29, 12:31 AM
You are absolutely correct-- I never noticed that before....

*slinks into the darkness*