PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely... I think not! [4E]

Duos Greanleef
2009-12-29, 12:41 AM
What are some of the most unlikely combinations of race and class that work fantstically well, when in (rp) reality they should not?
And while you're at it, what are your experiences with said unlikely characters?
I'm going to participate in a 1-off tomorrow and needed a character to build.
:tongue:
Thanks Playground!

Saintjebus
2009-12-29, 12:46 AM
Halfling Sword and Board Fighter. Shouldn't work, but it does. Pick all "push", "slide" and "knock prone" powers. Bounce between enemies like a pinball machine.:smallbiggrin:

Draz74
2009-12-29, 01:07 AM
Isn't the classic 4e answer to this question "Half-Elf Infernolock"?

loopy
2009-12-29, 01:10 AM
Isn't the classic 4e answer to this question "Half-Elf Infernolock"?

Pfft, his pact is powered by the ANGST caused by his nature, OUTCAST from both cultures, man! You just don't understand what he's going through! God, I'll be in my room listening to some Faerun Burns Red. :smallfrown:

Swordgleam
2009-12-29, 01:18 AM
Dwarf rogue works surprisingly well. I'd think a tiefling cleric or paladin would be a lot of fun, though I haven't seen either combo in play myself. Dragonborn caster - the bonus to cha helps with several caster classes.

Pramxnim
2009-12-29, 03:34 AM
Tiefling Cleric works quite well, actually ^^ I built one for a one-shot Christmas game, and gave him the feat from Dragon 381 that allowed him to turn into a Demon 1/day (replacing Infernal Wrath). It's quite funny how a Cleric of Moradin suddenly transforms into a nightmarish incarnation of hell to rip apart his enemies. It helps that the cleric player got very lucky and ended up with most of the killing blows that session. He was then dubbed "Killstealer" :)

Guinea Anubis
2009-12-29, 07:26 AM
Half-Orc rogue works well.

tbarrie
2009-12-29, 08:51 AM
Dwarves' two stat bonuses are perfect for a Druid.

sonofzeal
2009-12-29, 08:52 AM
They're pretty solid Druids in 3.5, too.

Blackfang108
2009-12-29, 09:13 AM
Halfling Bravura Warlord. It does help that some feat support's there, but there's just something rediculous about the concept.

(I've played one, and it was fun as heck.)

DabblerWizard
2009-12-29, 11:03 AM
How about Eladrin Bard?

Saintjebus
2009-12-29, 11:12 AM
Halfling (almost anything except rogue) always seemed a little out of place - especially melee classes:

Halfling Barbarian anyone?

TheEmerged
2009-12-29, 11:20 AM
Half-Orc rogue works well.

O_o
I'll take your "works well" and raise it a "looks like it was *intended* to work well", especially for the Brutal Scoundrel build.

Tiki Snakes
2009-12-29, 11:21 AM
Dwarf rogue works surprisingly well.

Sneak attacking with a craghammer for the win. (Tunnel Fighter Feat, I believe, lets you trade a dice of sneak attack for the ability to use any one handed hammer or axe to attack. Of course, if you've taken this, then you're obviously going to take the dwarven weapon thingy that gives you proficiency in all hammers and axes, and a damage bonus to boot. :) )

Stompy
2009-12-29, 12:10 PM
My vote is for the Tiefling Paladin.

I played one once. He started with the best mental stats ever (INT 15/WIS 14/ CHA 18), and took nothing but CHA-based powers. Not the best character power-wise I ran, but it was fun.

His name was Irony. :smallbiggrin:

HealthKit
2009-12-29, 12:18 PM
Halfling (almost anything except rogue) always seemed a little out of place - especially melee classes:

Halfling Barbarian anyone?

:belkar: You rang?

Draz74
2009-12-29, 12:24 PM
How about Eladrin Bard?

Doesn't seem unlikely fluff-wise at all.

Tengu_temp
2009-12-29, 12:39 PM
Goliath Warlock. The combination does not compute at a fluff level at all, but the race has a bonus to consitution and a powerful defensive ability, and constitution-based infernal/star warlocks are okay tanks.

Saintjebus
2009-12-29, 01:03 PM
:belkar: You rang?

Quite so. I had forgotten about Belkar(I think of him as a ranger, so....yeah.)

Aron Times
2009-12-29, 01:12 PM
Halfling Stormwarden with Scimitar Dance works really well. Just start with 16 strength and 18 dexterity and pump both stats each time you are able to. Halfling rangers can dual-wield scimitars in 4e.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-29, 01:30 PM
Surprisingly Tiefling make awful infernal warlocks. And eladrin great rogues (Dex bonus, teleport, extra skill). The idea of a eladring picking locks and sneak attacking is strange to me. Eladrin should be opposite to a rogue, due to their noble nature, although according to rules they make overwhelming rogues!

Mando Knight
2009-12-29, 01:42 PM
Dragonborn caster - the bonus to cha helps with several caster classes.

Ah, that's kinda in the fluff that they're likely spellcasters. After all, they've got magic in their blood. What other race matches up perfectly with the Dragon Magic Sorcerer?

DSCrankshaw
2009-12-29, 02:43 PM
Sneak attacking with a craghammer for the win. (Tunnel Fighter Feat, I believe, lets you trade a dice of sneak attack for the ability to use any one handed hammer or axe to attack. Of course, if you've taken this, then you're obviously going to take the dwarven weapon thingy that gives you proficiency in all hammers and axes, and a damage bonus to boot. :) )

They also get Dwarf Trapsmith, which makes them phenomenal skill monkeys--+4 to Perception to find traps and Thievery for all locks and traps. And while Wis and Con may not be main stats for a rogue, they're not wasted either.

It's a hard build to get right, but it can be pretty effective. My recommendation is to dump Cha, go Brutal Scoundrel and max Dex and put 13 in Str and Con (pre-racial). Pump Str and Dex each time, and you can qualify for Axe Mastery. Multiclassing fighter and taking Kenasi is probably the best bet.

Of course, the rather cheap new feat, Versatile Duelist, makes the dwarf axe rogue less appealing. You can use sneak attack with any heavy blade, and they don't even deduct a sneak attack die.

nekomata2
2009-12-29, 03:43 PM
Surprisingly Tiefling make awful infernal warlocks.

That's not entirely true. Sure they don't get a Con bonus, but they do get an Int bonus, and a bonus a fire powers that compensates for their lower Con score. Not entirely optimal, but not as bad as some other choices.

Draz74
2009-12-29, 03:46 PM
That's not entirely true. Sure they don't get a Con bonus, but they do get an Int bonus, and a bonus a fire powers that compensates for their lower Con score. Not entirely optimal, but not as bad as some other choices.

Yeah, I wonder if the guy who posted this doesn't know about the Tiefling-only fire power feat (it's PHB2, isn't it?) that saves this build from oblivion.

Swordgleam
2009-12-29, 04:22 PM
Ah, that's kinda in the fluff that they're likely spellcasters. After all, they've got magic in their blood. What other race matches up perfectly with the Dragon Magic Sorcerer?

I suppose that's true. It's just a little odd for me to think of a huge dragon-y thing choosing to use a flimsy little wand instead of some oversized melee weapon.

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-29, 06:40 PM
How about Eladrin Bard?

:confused:

Tell me you're joking.

Hal
2009-12-29, 11:02 PM
Dwarf rogue works surprisingly well. I'd think a tiefling cleric or paladin would be a lot of fun, though I haven't seen either combo in play myself. Dragonborn caster - the bonus to cha helps with several caster classes.

Actually, I've had good luck with a Dragonborn Rogue in the past. It's hard to imagine one leaping around the battlefield like an acrobat, but with good scores in both of the secondary stats, you can choose from pretty much any power you want.

Touchy
2009-12-30, 12:07 AM
Surprisingly Kobolds don't make good sorcerers, particularly dragon magic. :smallconfused:

Hopefully they will fix they make them a player race.

Swordgleam
2009-12-30, 01:40 AM
Actually, I've had good luck with a Dragonborn Rogue in the past. It's hard to imagine one leaping around the battlefield like an acrobat, but with good scores in both of the secondary stats, you can choose from pretty much any power you want.

I just about demolished half my (at the time level 2) party with a level 1 dragonborn rogue NPC. It's a surprisingly good combo.

FoE
2009-12-30, 02:21 AM
Surprisingly Tiefling make awful infernal warlocks.

That's not true. I've built a tiefling infernal pact warlock and there's actually more synergy there than you think. Infernal Rage works well with an infernal pact warlock, as does the tiefling-only feat Hellfire Blood. Plus, warlocks are not restricted to picking powers associated with their pact; it's good for an infernal warlock to have fairly high Intellegience and Charisma so they can dip into the other pacts for spare powers.

NeoVid
2009-12-30, 06:24 AM
I purposely made a Warforged Warden since I wanted to make a character that was as counterintuitive as possible, but still great mechanically.

Then I found out Warforged are made out of living wood and the entire concept was nearly wrecked by learning that Warforged+primal should be stupidly obvious.

But I can still be weird by making him into a Warforged Juggernaut and then a Reincarnated Champion.

Tengu_temp
2009-12-30, 06:58 AM
Githzerai make very good archery rangers. Have you ever seen one of these guys use a bow?

serok42
2009-12-30, 07:06 AM
Playing around with the character builder I have found that Eladrin Artificer works quite well. Especially with the Eladrin soldier feat.

dsmiles
2009-12-30, 07:42 AM

That's pronounced DOO-dad.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-30, 03:45 PM
That's pronounced DOO-dad.

Me brudder doesn't know that dwarves can't be druids.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-30, 05:59 PM
Oooo Oi!

My vote goes to Dwarf Druid. And you have to wield a greatclub shillelagh sha-la-la.

erikun
2009-12-30, 06:13 PM
Kobolds make surprisingly good melee characters. Move 5 + shift as a minor action means they have an effective movement of 6, not to mention shifting for 2 if they choose.

Githzerai have the stats for good Avengers, despite typically not worshipping any deities.

Gnomes, Halflings, and Drow all make good Paladins. You can actually run a paladin with just CHA and a little bit of WIS. Rapiers and light armor work best for the smaller races.

Dragonborn have the stat bonuses for decent Rogues.

Gensai Warlords make virtually no thematic sense - wanderers from another plane leading troups into battle? - yet are almost perfectly matched for each other.

Jack_Banzai
2009-12-30, 07:46 PM
Bullywug Assassin for the win.