PDA

View Full Version : So who fliped the whole moniter to read the message?

Haggis
2009-12-29, 01:34 AM
*raises hand*

On the downside I heard something fall over and now I can't find it.

Eldrys
2009-12-29, 01:41 AM
Who here read the whole message upside-down :smallamused:?

Comet
2009-12-29, 01:52 AM
I flipped myself. No need to move that precious hardware when you have a perfectly functional body at your disposal :smalltongue:

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-29, 01:53 AM
...Uh, I just read it normally? Didn't need to move my head or my monitor to read that.

Silverraptor
2009-12-29, 02:00 AM

I did. It was, sadly, kind of easy. Not too difficult to understand it.

Hurkyl
2009-12-29, 02:00 AM
What's fun is writing upside-down. :smallamused:

I've found sideways the hardest to read/write, though. Still doable, but nowhere near as easy.

Souhiro
2009-12-29, 02:03 AM
I asked Master Chuck to teach me how to flip down the world, and after paying him high tributes, he told me the secret.

factotum
2009-12-29, 02:25 AM
Just read it upside down myself--it's not that hard to do. Certainly a lot easier than standing on your head or flipping your monitor upside down!

Killer Angel
2009-12-29, 02:51 AM
*raises hand*

:smalleek:
I fear you'll be alone in this madness.
...but, who knows? we're more than 40k on the forum, so maybe you'll find another one. :smallbiggrin:

Watcher
2009-12-29, 03:01 AM
I flipped me around, personally (and a large portion of The Playground, it seems).

recluso
2009-12-29, 04:13 AM
I rotated the picture.

Initially I rotated neither myself nor my monitor - Due to that I was a bit in 'guess the word'-mode and read 'soresirer' [sic] as 'sorcerer'. Only after reading the forum I wanted to see it myself.

In order to be able to browse the archive really fast I always save the GIF files locally (renamed to a number - 0696.gif).

Opening the GIF file offline and rotating it by 180 degrees finally revealed how badly elan messed up.

Starscream
2009-12-29, 04:27 AM
...I just looked at it.

Sorry, I guess I'm boring.

If you prefer I can say that I fired my laptop out of a spaceship traveling at the speed of light, causing it to be moving even faster, which bent the light around it 180 degrees and made it briefly visible to me before causality was violated and the laptop ruptured the spacetime continuum, fell through a wormhole created as a result, landed in the distant past, and the image of Elan holding a stick inspired a passing caveman to pick up a bone like in 2001 a Space Odyssey and start hitting things with it, kick-starting the whole of human civilization.

Je dit Viola
2009-12-29, 04:35 AM
I also just read it, without changing anything.

I've learned to read upside-down words (especially misspelled upside-down words) from having little brothers.

Although, I was thinking about flipping the image on the monitor. I've been wanting to do that for a while, because it annoys one of my brothers.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-29, 05:39 AM
I think I've always been able to read upside down, and have a tendancy to read words backwards if the word seems unfamiliar or made up. The Mirror of Erised held no suprises for me!

But since I'm reading this on my netbook, flipping the monitor was simple. I liked Elan's use of the numeral 1 in place of the third exclamation point. :smallbiggrin:

On a similar note, is there any way to rotate the text of a document 90 degrees? I love my little netbook, but it would be easier to read the text I were able to hold it sideways while I lie in bed...

Tass
2009-12-29, 05:43 AM
I'm in the "just read it" camp too. I have no trouble rotating text in my head.

Its annoying as hell when spoilers are printed in plain view upside down or mirrored, since it is not actually harder to read.

Asta Kask
2009-12-29, 05:58 AM
I flipped me around, personally (and a large portion of The Playground, it seems).

You flipped a large portion of the Playground? :smallsmile:

I read it by flipping the text in my head. I actually had more trouble with Elan's... idiosyncratic spelling than anything else.

Setra
2009-12-29, 06:14 AM
I put it in paint and flipped the image.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-29, 06:20 AM
I just thought backwards.

Spirited Charge
2009-12-29, 09:27 AM
Cool trick:

Just press down and hold the keyboard buttons
Control-Alt-Down (arrow key)

It flips the screen upsidown. It's a little bit strange though, 'cause it also makes your motions with the mouse backwards too. You can also turn it left or right by doing the same thing with the corrisponding arrow keys.

To fix, just do it again with the up arrow key.

maxon
2009-12-29, 09:37 AM
Teaching is part of my profession - reading upside down is part of the training. :smallwink:

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-12-29, 09:44 AM

I read it upside down without any trouble. In fact, it didn't even occur to me to turn either the screen or myself -- it's easy to read.

Then again, I've been driving my friends and relations crazy with my ability to read pretty much anything upside down since I was a kid, so that might explain it also .... :smallwink:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-29, 09:48 AM
Cool trick:

It flips the screen upsidown. It's a little bit strange though, 'cause it also makes your motions with the mouse backwards too. You can also turn it left or right by doing the same thing with the corrisponding arrow keys.

I can't seem to get it to work on laptops though, so that might not work on them at all. (Or mine just suck).

Nerdanel
2009-12-29, 09:56 AM
I just read it. I can read upside-down or mirrored text just fine, except I do it much slower than text that's in the normal orientation.

By the way, It's funny that Elan actually put a one in the middle of his exclamation marks, even though he wasn't typing.

Meg
2009-12-29, 10:10 AM
I did! I was using my brother's laptop, though, so that was actually pretty easy.

Kieran Cage
2009-12-29, 10:36 AM
I looked over O-Chul's shoulder as he was reading it, and the picture naturally righted itself for his convenience.

Obviously I wasn't TOO close to him, as I am still alive to tell the tale.

ScottishDragon
2009-12-29, 10:44 AM
I am one of the few to have the ability to read upside-down.

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 11:16 AM
I read it upside-down. I got good at that from sharing books with classmates growing up. I read through the entire Lord of the Rings "co-op" when I was 12. :smallbiggrin:

I did flip my laptop for my roommate though, who had not acquired said skill.

Cool trick:

Hey, neat!

I can't seem to get it to work on laptops though, so that might not work on them at all. (Or mine just suck).

It worked on mine. Are you using Firefox 3.5?

Gift Jeraff
2009-12-29, 11:23 AM
I turned my phone upside down. :smallbiggrin:

Somewhere
2009-12-29, 12:12 PM
I turn my head/bend my neck sideways and read it vertically/sideways. (such that what is 'up' is to my 'right') (thus end up reading up to down, right to left)

Hann
2009-12-29, 12:38 PM
I actually read it upside-down the first few times reading the comic, but just before I came to the forum I flipped my laptop to read it normally. Looks like I fall in both camps. :smallbiggrin:

eggynack
2009-12-29, 12:42 PM
I was using a laptop and wanted to know what all of Elans' jokes were so I just flipped it.

bluewind95
2009-12-29, 12:48 PM
I can read and write upside down as easily as I can read and write normally. So I had no problem reading Elan's message.

The grammar and spelling of it is enough to make teachers in the world cry. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2009-12-29, 01:02 PM
I just read it - no flipping anything. It's not exactly hard, just slows down the reading process a bit.

Cool trick:

Hm, doesn't seem to work for me. :smallconfused:

Zevox

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 01:11 PM
Maybe it's a Windows XP thing - I tried it on my Vista laptop and no-go, but it works on this one.

bluewind95
2009-12-29, 01:25 PM
Maybe it's a Windows XP thing - I tried it on my Vista laptop and no-go, but it works on this one.

I think it's a graphics card thing. I just found and enabled the option on my graphic card. Maybe it just is on by default on XP. But Vista still can do it, if the graphics card allows it.

Ronan
2009-12-29, 02:07 PM
I uhhh... saved the file, like I always do, and flipped it 180º with photoshop :smallbiggrin:. Much easier:smallcool:

Neopolis
2009-12-29, 02:08 PM
I put it in paint and flipped the image.
Yep, same here. The nerd way.:smallwink:

Haven
2009-12-29, 02:09 PM
I did, but I was reading it on my cellphone. XD

Zevox
2009-12-29, 02:14 PM
Windows XP is what I have, though.

I think it's a graphics card thing. I just found and enabled the option on my graphic card. Maybe it just is on by default on XP. But Vista still can do it, if the graphics card allows it.
Hm - where would you find these graphics card options?

Zevox

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 02:22 PM
Hm - where would you find these graphics card options?

Zevox

Right-click your desktop, choose "Graphics Properties." It might vary if you have an actual graphics card though, my work laptop (which I'm on right now, despite being home) has the standard Intel chipset.

JonahFalcon
2009-12-29, 02:37 PM
I used the Infinite Probability Drive and flipped the universe over to read it.

Hurkyl
2009-12-29, 02:42 PM
I used the Infinite Probability Drive and flipped the universe over to read it.
Wait... wouldn't that have flipped you over too?

Nimrod's Son
2009-12-29, 11:50 PM
I'm genuinely surprised that so many people couldn't read it just by looking at it.

Kurien
2009-12-30, 12:23 AM
I've never learned to read things that are upside down, or mirrored. :smallfrown:
Some people can, others can't.
Instead I simply rotated my head/body so that I was looking at it approximately sideways. Much easier to read that way.

Spiky
2009-12-30, 01:53 AM
Would not have predicted 45 posts on such a topic.

I didn't want to strain my eyes, or flip anything. So I engineered a mirror, pulley, and IR system to automatically show me my screen in any of the four directions at the press of a button.

Scarlet Knight
2009-12-30, 01:06 PM
I just did the 'dog listening to a strange sound' head tilt...

Almaseti
2009-12-30, 01:09 PM
I read it on a laptop, so I flipped the whole computer a quarter turn, and twisted my neck the rest of the way.

Trixie
2009-12-30, 01:11 PM
I am one of the few to have the ability to read upside-down.

And you caught all the misspellings Elan made while doing so? Or did your brain automatically correct most of them for you? :smallconfused:

mockingbyrd7
2009-12-30, 02:47 PM
I tried to read it upside-down, but I was stumped when I came to the word "epic" scribbled on the side, so I turned myself upside-down for 15 seconds. :smallbiggrin:

Lissou
2009-12-30, 03:04 PM
I read upside-down easily, it comes from years of doing crosswords and the like and not wanting everyone to know I was cheating...

So I didn't move my laptop (or head) at all, didn't need to.

Alysar
2009-12-30, 03:11 PM
I just read it upside down.

When I was a kid, I would read Encyclopedia Brown books, and read the solutions without using a mirror.

When you can do that, upsidedown is easy.

Osmin
2009-12-30, 05:06 PM
My computer is a laptop, and flipping it was easy.

Demented
2009-12-30, 05:18 PM
I flipped my head, but it didn't get much easier to read.

Soresirer? Is that an overworked bull?

Dvandemon
2009-12-31, 01:56 AM
Cool trick:

:smalleek::smallcool: Wow. That was fun:smallsmile: I just read it normally

Spirited Charge
2010-01-01, 12:37 PM
It worked on mine. Are you using Firefox 3.5?

This trick has nothing to do with the internet. If it does work on your computer, then it should work on everything else too, whether that be Word, Excell, or even when you have nothing up.

Allan Surgite
2010-01-01, 12:47 PM
I can't seem to get it to work on laptops.
This seems to be indicative of the truth.

Also; I turned my head 120 degrees to read it :X

IsaacTheHungry
2010-01-01, 09:39 PM
It took me a few minutes to figure out what you were talking about, i had to take a second look at the comic.

I read it fine the first time and didn't even realize it was written upside down until you pointed it out :smallcool:

Lissou
2010-01-01, 10:22 PM
I did, but I was reading it on my cellphone. XD

Wait...
I have had a hard time reading it on my computer since the text size changed at the beginning of this book.
And you could read it on a cellphone?
Tell me it was zoomed in, at least.

Jigsaw Forte
2010-01-01, 10:34 PM
Wait...
I have had a hard time reading it on my computer since the text size changed at the beginning of this book.
And you could read it on a cellphone?
Tell me it was zoomed in, at least.

Believe it or not, OotS is legible on a smartphone, if only barely.

That text in the sand was also much larger than normal, too.

Raenir Salazar
2010-01-02, 05:37 PM
I saved the picture and flipped it using a paint program.