PDA

View Full Version : [SAGA] Jedi help

DrGonzo
2009-12-29, 04:12 AM
Good people of the playground,

So I'm playing Star Wars Saga, with two other players. Since the other two are a noble, focused on social skills and a scoundrel, focused on piloting and ship building. So I get to play the Jedi (yay!). Right now we're all 4th level, and my build is:

Human

Scores: Str 10, dex 13, con 12, wis 15, int 14, cha 14

Jedi 1: starting feats
feat: force training
human: force training
talent: deflect

Jedi 2: bonus feat: Skill focus (use the force)

Jedi 3: t: block
feat: force boon

Jedi 4: bf weapon finesse (lightsabers)
scores: wis 16, dex 14

So that's how far we've gotten 'till now. I've taken Force Boon because I want to make heavy use of force powers (I'm the prime damage dealer). For the rest of the way (up to lvl 12 for now) I'm thinking:

Jedi 5: t: redirect shot

Jedi 6: f: Rapid strike
bf: Skill focus (mechanics) Be usefull out of combat!

Jedi 7: t: force intuition
spec: build lightsaber

Jedi knight 1: t: Ataru
Scores: wis 17, con 14

Jedi knight 2: force talent: improved light object
f: double attack

JK 3: Shii-Cho

JK 4: ft: improved sense surroundings

JK 5: f:??? Need advice
t: Shien
sc: wis 18, dex 15

So, what do you think? Any advice, did I do something incredibly stupid? I'm new at Saga, and open to suggestion.

Caewil
2009-12-29, 07:20 AM
It's a decent build, but Soresu is the best lightsaber form for a block/deflect focused Jedi. Redirect shot is flashy but unnecessary.

Really, what are you going for here? Damage-dealing with force powers or damage dealing with a lightsaber. Force powers are effective early on, but defenses rapidly improve to the point where they won't be hitting that often.

I would advise grabbing Telekinetic Prodigy (the force unleashed campaign guide), since it gives you the equivalent of a free move object power each time you take Force Training. You also need more Dex and Str to wield that lightsaber properly. Drop Wisdom a bit to put those points in. If you're willing to spend an extra feat, starting in soldier may also be a good idea for an extra skill and weapon + armor proficiencies.

harpy
2009-12-29, 09:05 AM
I was running games, so I was seeing it from the other side, but in general the jedi builds tended to go down two paths, either as a "force wizard" or a "lightsaber combat monster" both of which did a great deal of multiclassing of the base classes.

You seem to want to aim for lightsaber combat, though you took two force trainings, which puts you more invested as being a force wizard already.

From the GMs chair I saw the lightsaber focused player using the acrobatic strike feat over and and over again to great effect. Not only was it very useful in attacks, but it mechanically allowed the player to pull off all sorts of interesting cinematic maneuvers, since he was basically constantly tumbling.

The force wizard player ended up being a tank of sorts, being able to resist vast amounts of energy damage. When anti-vehicle weapons would get aimed at the party he'd step up, use resist energy and soak up shots that would easily kill other players.

In terms of builds the lightsaber focused player jumped into solider a lot for talents to really chew through their opponents, and the force wizard was picking up noble levels, force adept levels and other odd things to make for some really interesting effects.

DrGonzo
2009-12-29, 11:24 AM
It's a decent build, but Soresu is the best lightsaber form for a block/deflect focused Jedi. Redirect shot is flashy but unnecessary.

Really, what are you going for here? Damage-dealing with force powers or damage dealing with a lightsaber. Force powers are effective early on, but defenses rapidly improve to the point where they won't be hitting that often.

I would advise grabbing Telekinetic Prodigy (the force unleashed campaign guide), since it gives you the equivalent of a free move object power each time you take Force Training. You also need more Dex and Str to wield that lightsaber properly. Drop Wisdom a bit to put those points in. If you're willing to spend an extra feat, starting in soldier may also be a good idea for an extra skill and weapon + armor proficiencies.

Where can I find Soresu?

I want to be an all rounder, using force powers, as well as my lightsaber.

Telekinetic savant sounds good, but I need to squeeze the prereq (telekinetic savant) in somwhere..

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-29, 11:25 AM
If you're not increasing Dex, there's not much point in taking Weapon Finesse. It's just a 1 point difference from your Strength as is.

DrGonzo
2009-12-29, 12:09 PM
So better to increase str and dex at 8th and 12th level, for str 12 and dex 16?

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-29, 12:21 PM
So better to increase str and dex at 8th and 12th level, for str 12 and dex 16?

Well, that would at least make Weapon Finesse a better choice, but it really depends on what you're going for.

Talya
2009-12-29, 12:34 PM
Where can I find Soresu?

Saga Edition core rules, a talent for the Jedi Knight prestige class (under Lightsaber Form talents.)

I've currently got a dexterity/charisma focused level 8 Jedi Knight who (through a splatbook soldier talent combined with the melee defense feat) gets an Attack of Opportunity everytime someone adjacent to her tries to attack her while she uses melee defense (even at -1). She's almost impossible to hit, and gets a free attack at nearly full BAB if anyone tries to hit her. I think it pissed off my DM, though...

DrGonzo
2009-12-29, 12:49 PM
Well, that would at least make Weapon Finesse a better choice, but it really depends on what you're going for.

Well, I want to be good allround. Have some forcepowers, slash people up. Our GM isnīt really the powergamer, and since weīre all fairly new to SW saga itīs not necessary to uber optimize. But tips and tricks are always welcome, and thereīs always room to improve.

Saga Edition core rules, a talent for the Jedi Knight prestige class (under Lightsaber Form talents.)

Hmm, indeed it is.. Must.. Pay.. More.. Attention..

I've currently got a dexterity/charisma focused level 8 Jedi Knight who (through a splatbook soldier talent combined with the melee defense defeat) gets an Attack of Opportunity everytime someone adjacent to her tries to attack her while she uses melee defense (even at -1). She's almost impossible to hit, and gets a free attack at nearly full BAB if anyone tries to hit her. I think it pissed off my DM, though...

I wonīt be making friends with my GM fast if I use this, although it sounds great!

Darth Norris
2010-03-12, 01:30 PM
Hmmm...... maybe you should persuade the noble to buy your scoundrel a nice X-Wing :smalltongue:

raitalin
2010-03-12, 01:41 PM
Do you have access to the Jedi Academy Training Manual? The lightsaber techniques might satisfy your desire to use force powers while allowing you to focus on being lightsaber-oriented, making you stronger altogether.

Gamgee
2010-03-12, 01:46 PM
If you intend to use your dex for attack, at least use it for damage and take the hawk bat form called Ataru. This way you can add your dex to damage, and if using a saber with both hands you can add twice your dex modifier to your damage.

I would get rid of redirect shot, and instead take Elusive Target. This way when you get into Melee your given that extra bit of protection against any opponents firing into you and your targets. Even if they have precise shot they still take a penalty when firing at you.

If you intend to fight with your light saber this is usually one of the best talents you can take. It is right behind block, and then deflect is debatable depending on build.