PDA

View Full Version : Elan is 1337

JonahFalcon
2009-12-29, 11:47 AM
W0W, 3lAN k1CX azz Wit 1337! pwnage!!1!11!

Ancalagon
2009-12-29, 11:53 AM
Please come back when you are sober again and regained the ability to type. ;)

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 12:25 PM
In that he spells like someone that routinely says "1337" you'd be right.

Ancalagon
2009-12-29, 12:29 PM
I think Elan is just uneducated instead of "trying to be cool".

Silverraptor
2009-12-29, 12:47 PM
This kind of ruined the joke in the comic for me.:smallannoyed:

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 01:01 PM
This kind of ruined the joke in the comic for me.:smallannoyed:

Yeah, how would a D&D character even KNOW that not holding down shift when you type an exclamation mark results in a "1"??!!11!

Silverraptor
2009-12-29, 01:02 PM
Yeah, how would a D&D character even KNOW that not holding down shift when you type an exclamation mark results in a "1"??!!11!

Meh. It was funny at the time. Not anymore though.:smallsigh:

JonahFalcon
2009-12-29, 01:47 PM
He does the common grammatical mistakes you see from kids online (ie. confusing your with you're.)

Antacid
2009-12-29, 02:03 PM
Elan is such a looser. :smallbiggrin:

Neopolis
2009-12-29, 02:04 PM
Elan is such a looser. :smallbiggrin:
I wonder if his parents where like that to?

Silverraptor
2009-12-29, 03:08 PM
I wonder if his parents where like that to?

They gave birth to Nale as well. What do you think?:smallamused:

B.I.T.T.
2009-12-29, 03:16 PM
Weird...I didn't even notice the "1" in with the exclamation points.

Clearly though, Elan is someone of such complete and utter genius he has no time to bother with minor spelling errors and wheter he is using the correct spelling. Was it not once said by Mark Twain, himself, who said that he didn't trust a many who only knows one way to spell a word?

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 03:31 PM
Chaucer's spelling was pretty off too. I think you're on to something.

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-29, 03:56 PM
Well, at least he spells better than some people.

His text is actually readable.

Elan is such a looser.:smallbiggrin:

Well, you did see him on the big giant worm.
Oh! You meant 'a loser'!

:smalltongue:

Random832
2009-12-29, 04:06 PM

Nale can't even compose a 25-word message, so...

Silverraptor
2009-12-29, 04:22 PM
Nale can't even compose a 25-word message, so...

Exactly!:smalltongue:

Spiky
2009-12-30, 01:55 AM

They? She'll kick your *** for that.

Manicotti
2009-12-30, 02:14 AM
[Sindragosa1337]: Th1s 1s a gr34t day 1n h15t0ry

[Killzone男aeden]: Hey you should probably get that fixed by the way

[Sindragosa1337]: wh4t?

[Killzone男aeden]: Whatever it is about your keyboard that's making you sound like a retard

[Killzone男aeden]: By confusing Arabic numerals with the effing Roman alphabet.

[Sindragosa1337]: its called 1337

[Killzone男aeden]: What a coincidence

[Killzone男aeden]: One thousand, three hundred thirty-seven is the exact number of dumbass script kiddies I crushed into oblivion yesterday.

Reference (http://www.cwsargeras.com/2009/03/scourge-chat-log-2.html)

factotum
2009-12-30, 02:16 AM
Surely if Elan were that old he'd have seen World #1 destroyed? In which case--he survived the Snarl and is thus clearly immortal!! :smallamused:

raitalin
2009-12-30, 03:13 PM
So this definitively places Elan's INT at, what, 6? 8?

martinkou
2009-12-30, 03:28 PM

Totally reasonable if said D&D character comes from a CRPG, and he's a playable character.

Daefos
2009-12-30, 04:02 PM
I think Elan is just uneducated instead of "trying to be cool".

There's a difference? :smallamused:

Lissou
2009-12-30, 04:19 PM

Speaking of which, it took me years before I understood why some people typed 1s in the middle of exclamation marks (on my keyboard, "!" is in the bottom right corner (and doesn't require shift). "1" (which does require shift) is over "&" in the top left corner. Typing one for the other is pretty much impossible.)
I thought it was some kind of meme due to "!" and "1" looking kinda similar.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-30, 04:36 PM
Since my mental profanity filter won't let me read the first post, I'll just make a joke about Elan more likely being in his twenties.

Surely if Elan were that old he'd have seen World #1 destroyed? In which case--he survived the Snarl and is thus clearly immortal!! :smallamused:

Aw, damnit! :smallfrown:

Because OotS doesn't have a fourth wall, even remotely?

JonahFalcon
2010-01-01, 12:39 PM
It was funnier when Belkar spoke MMOspeak.

:belkar: Hey, can I get a buff in case we go back to pwning their doods? kthx

hobbitkniver
2010-01-01, 03:11 PM
So this definitively places Elan's INT at, what, 6? 8?

I think below 9 means you can't talk in complete sentences.

Daefos
2010-01-03, 08:14 PM

Given that 10 is the average, I think you're a bit off the mark.

Police_palace
2010-01-08, 09:04 AM
Given that 10 is the average, I think you're a bit off the mark.
No. No, he's not.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 09:14 AM
Because OotS doesn't have a fourth wall, even remotely?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sarcasm

JonahFalcon
2010-01-08, 06:38 PM
Oh, Elan has intelligence (able to tell if it's raining).

It's his WISDOM that's in question (getting out of the rain).

Ancalagon
2010-01-09, 10:27 AM
I doubt that theory. He has neither Int nor Wis. In fact, I'd even estimate he has more Wis than Int.
He's not "getting" things but sometimes he just knows something is wrong or not a good idea and sometimes he knows what IS the right thing to do.

That sounds more like Wis than like Int. While both scores are probably quite low (surely below average and I'm not talking about 9!), it's still safe to assume that Wis > Int.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-10, 03:07 AM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sarcasm

As much as I loathe to respond to comments that happend awhile ago, since this thread floated back up...

This is the internet. Yeah, I can totally hear your tone of voice. It's not like there are EVER idiots on the internet.
See what I did there?

Ancalagon
2010-01-10, 04:28 AM
This is the internet. Yeah, I can totally hear your tone of voice. It's not like there are EVER idiots on the internet.
See what I did there?

See? Sometimes it even works without any voice at all and stuff.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-11, 09:07 PM
See? Sometimes it even works without any voice at all and stuff.

Except sometimes isn't allways.

shannoby
2010-01-12, 08:27 AM
as much as i would like to say elan has low intellect, he cannot possibly have less than a 10 of int to cast spells, bards casting is ruled by charisma, but any caster must have at least a 10 of int to be able to cast period... hence he isn't as dumb as we want to make him out to be

hamishspence
2010-01-12, 08:29 AM
any caster must have at least a 10 of int to be able to cast period...

Citation needed.

Daefos
2010-01-12, 09:16 AM
as much as i would like to say elan has low intellect, he cannot possibly have less than a 10 of int to cast spells, bards casting is ruled by charisma, but any caster must have at least a 10 of int to be able to cast period... hence he isn't as dumb as we want to make him out to be

Um, no. Bards cast spells based of Charisma, and that's all they need. Elan could have an Int and Wis of 3, and still be able to cast spells.

Gitman00
2010-01-12, 11:05 AM

No, that's only in some DnD-based CRPGs. (I think the original Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, among others).

There's nothing in the RAW about this. I did, however, read an estimate that, based on average die rolls vs. average intelligence quotient and standard deviations for each, each point of INT works out to about 5 IQ points, if we equate the average IQ of 100 to an average INT of 10 (rounded down from the mean die roll of 10.5).

Since Forrest Gump was supposed to have an IQ of about 80, we can infer that someone with an INT of 6 can still speak in complete sentences. :smallamused:

shannoby
2010-01-12, 11:13 AM
I am working under the impression Elan was created in 3.0 and up grated to 3.5 as shown in the early comics, now i have no way of posting here the 3rd edition players handbook, but its there and you don't have to trust me when i say all spell casters need a 10 of intelligence to cast spells, i understand that charisma rules over the strongest spell a bard can cast and how hard they are to resist but in 3.0 the also needed that 10 of int that's how it was, i have read the rules back and forth.
Now i am not sure if the Giant decided to ignore this D&D rule or if Elan was even able to cast in his 3.0 version, Considering we know that V made some choices that hurt him as he upgraded to 3.5( his choice to ban a school in 3.0 that in 3.5 came to have teleport in it) i am assuming when Elan was made he was made with 3.0 in mind and allocated the intelligence needed to cast his little spells...and yes bards cast from charisma i never said other wise, their casting is governed by charisma in 3.5 they dropped that needed int and they only needed cha, but again they were made in 3.0 were they not?

hamishspence
2010-01-12, 11:16 AM
now i have no way of posting here the 3rd edition players handbook, but its there and you don't have to trust me when i say all spell casters need a 10 of intelligence to cast spells, i understand that charisma rules over the strongest spell a bard can cast and how hard they are to resist but in 3.0 the also needed that 10 of int that's how it was, i have read the rules back and forth.

What page were those rules on? Because I don't recall seeing anything like that in my copy of 3.0 PHB.

Ikialev
2010-01-12, 11:26 AM
No, that's only in some DnD-based CRPGs. (I think the original Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, among others).
Only NwN. And Fallout!

shannoby
2010-01-12, 11:27 AM
What page were those rules on? Because I don't recall seeing anything like that in my copy of 3.0 PHB.

for the exact page in the 3.0 players Hand Book, you will have to wait till later tonight when i get home, but i will post it and hopefully help myself after my first post ever seems to have caught some heat.

ps i don't know how to quote yet so hopefully that looks like a quote from hamishspence

edit thanks i think i just fixed it

hamishspence
2010-01-12, 11:37 AM
To quote just click the quote button, and delete everything inside the quote tags that you don't want.

The tags should look like this:

[QUO.TE=person's name;number]various text[/QUO.TE]

(but without the full stops). If the forward slash / is left out, or the square brackets left out, it doesn't work.

EDIT: fixed- that's good.

hamishspence
2010-01-12, 12:40 PM
I've checked the book- Intelligence, Bards, and Magic- and can find nothing.

page 7: The ability that spells relate to depends on what type of spellcaster you are: Intelligence for wizards: Wisdom for clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers; or Charisma for sorcerers and bards.

page 8: If your character's ability score is 9 or lower, you can't cast spells tied to that ability.

page 9: The minimum Intelligence needed to cast a wizard spell is 10 + the spell's level.

page 10: The minimum Charisma needed to cast a bard or sorcerer spell is 10 + the spell's level.

page 27: Bards receive bonus spells for high Charisma, and to cast a spell a bard must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the level of the spell (Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth).

page 154: Preparing spells is an ardous mental task- to do so, the wizard must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 plus the spell's level.

page 155: A sorcerer or bard's high Charisma score (see Table 1-1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8) might allow him to cast a few extra spells. Members of either class must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + a spell's level to cast the spell.

but bards don't prepare spells- they cast them spontaneously.

Nothing about bards requiring Int 10 to spellcast as far as I can tell.

warrl
2010-01-12, 03:36 PM
Now i have no way of posting here the 3rd edition players handbook, but its there and you don't have to trust me when i say all spell casters need a 10 of intelligence to cast spells

Nope, they need a 10 or higher (11 for Paladins and Rangers) in the ability that their spell-casting is based on.

And the only class in the 3.0 PHB that does INT-based casting is Wizards.

The most common ability for casting to be tied to is WIS, as it applies to Clerics, Druids, Paladins, and Rangers.

Bards and Sorcerers are CHA-based casters.

Poi Sorg
2010-01-14, 08:54 PM
Friends, I think ye be fergettin tha' tha Order Of Tha Stick takes place innae world similar, but na' tha same as, D an' D 3.5. Tharfore, annae rule in Order Of Tha Stick does na' have ta' be tha same as D an' D. Elan's intelligence mus' be, tharfore, whatev'r fits tha situation at tha time. In othar words, whatev'r's funnier.
:durkon: :durkon: :durkon: :durkon: :durkon: