PDA

View Full Version : {3.5e} Halfling Monk Ideas

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-29, 11:48 AM
I know, at least here, monk bites. I get that. However, it being one of my favorite classes, my DM and I are on agreeance with me being a Halfling (Core) Monk. However, I want feats that would benefit a Halfling more than a medium-sized character. Any Takers?

And has anyone homebrewed damage for a "low blow" or a feat that does that? My DM says I can get that for free

Stompy
2009-12-29, 12:24 PM
"low blow" equals sneak attack (in my mind). See if you can't get that for free off your DM. A feat for 1d6 sneak attack damage (without it qualifying for other feats like craven) seems reasonable to me.

Also, there is a halfling monk substitution level progression in Races of the Wild. If you can you may want to check that out.

Draz74
2009-12-29, 12:26 PM
However, I want feats that would benefit a Halfling more than a medium-sized character. Any Takers?

Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk? From Races of the Wild.

Stompy
2009-12-29, 12:42 PM
Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk? From Races of the Wild.

I just looked at those. Those are great options, but both require 10 ranks of tumble each, meaning that you can't take those options until (normally) level 9 and 12. :smallfrown:

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-29, 12:51 PM
So these fall under "feats for Later"

HCL
2009-12-29, 12:57 PM
tumble is in class for monks so level 7 :)

get the halfling monk sub levels for sure, it gives you skirmish. Then go for unarmed swordsage, psychic warrior, or rogue (with at least one level of barb)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-29, 12:59 PM
tumble is in class for monks so level 7 :)

get the halfling monk sub levels for sure, it gives you skirmish. Then go for unarmed swordsage, psychic warrior, or rogue (with at least one level of barb)

You don't get a feat at level 7.

retaliation08
2009-12-29, 02:10 PM
i would consider a few levels of swordsage(you may only need 1 if you take it at the right time) to pick up the setting sun stance (3rd level) that gives you +2 attack and +4 damage on attacks vs. creatures larger than you. you could also pick up soaring raptor strike(+6d6 vs larger foes after a jump check) from the tiger claw school if you had ample maneuver slots. not only would this improve your damage output, but it would give you some nice throws (setting sun maneuvers) that aid in the way of battlefield control.

remember: initiator level = martial adept(swordsage levels) + 1/2 other class levels.

so if you dipped into swordsage at, lets say, level 9, your initiator level would be 5. 1/2 of 8 + 1. so as long as you took the necessary prereq maneuvers, you could manage to get both of the above mentioned 3rd lvl maneuvers in just one level dip at level 9 or higher.

p.s. you could take advantage of the halflings +1 to thrown weapon attack rolls and go with the master thrower (complete warrior) and bloodstorm blade (Tome of battle) prc combinations, but you would need to dip into warblade for the prereq of bloodstorm blade, which would still allow you the aforementioned tigerclaw maneuver (soaring raptor strike). to get the setting sun stance would still require a level dip in swordsage.

Pluto
2009-12-29, 04:47 PM
I don't own the book and can't remember the details of Tashalatora.
Does it work with any Psionic class or only the EPH options?
And does it have a racial requirement?

But I'd go:
Monk 2/Psychic Rogue X.
Take Tashalatora, Kung Fu Genius (or Carmendine Monk), Underfoot Combat and Confound the Bigfolk as feats.
Add the Compression Power.
Season to taste.

zagan
2009-12-29, 04:50 PM
i would consider a few levels of swordsage(you may only need 1 if you take it at the right time) to pick up the setting sun stance (3rd level) that gives you +2 attack and +4 damage on attacks vs. creatures larger than you. you could also pick up soaring raptor strike(+6d6 vs larger foes after a jump check) from the tiger claw school if you had ample maneuver slots. not only would this improve your damage output, but it would give you some nice throws (setting sun maneuvers) that aid in the way of battlefield control.

remember: initiator level = martial adept(swordsage levels) + 1/2 other class levels.

so if you dipped into swordsage at, lets say, level 9, your initiator level would be 5. 1/2 of 8 + 1. so as long as you took the necessary prereq maneuvers, you could manage to get both of the above mentioned 3rd lvl maneuvers in just one level dip at level 9 or higher.

p.s. you could take advantage of the halflings +1 to thrown weapon attack rolls and go with the master thrower (complete warrior) and bloodstorm blade (Tome of battle) prc combinations, but you would need to dip into warblade for the prereq of bloodstorm blade, which would still allow you the aforementioned tigerclaw maneuver (soaring raptor strike). to get the setting sun stance would still require a level dip in swordsage.

You can only take 1st level stance when taking the first level of any initiator class, you can choose any other maneuvre you qualify for but the first stance must be level 1. Sorry.

retaliation08
2009-12-29, 05:07 PM
does the same rule apply to the feat martial stance?

deuxhero
2009-12-29, 05:10 PM
Unarmed Swordsage + Assassin's Stance.

Draz74
2009-12-29, 05:15 PM

No. It's a "rule" (probably not even an intended one, so the DM may excuse it) that comes from the exact wording of the Maneuvers class feature of the ToB classes.

zagan
2009-12-29, 05:53 PM

No.

No. It's a "rule" (probably not even an intended one, so the DM may excuse it) that comes from the exact wording of the Maneuvers class feature of the ToB classes.

That's it exactly, it read as follow:

You begin play with knowledge of one 1st level stance from any discipline open to you.

As Draz said any reasonable DM might waived that detail.

Draz74
2009-12-29, 06:26 PM
As Draz said any reasonable DM might waived that detail.

Might, or might not. I might enforce this rule as a DM, even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't the intent, just because the ToB classes are so very "dippable." Making people take more than one level in them to get the benefits they want is still a pretty good deal.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-31, 05:42 PM
This gives a very healthy baseline

now, about prestige classes...

Here are the three that seemed most useful:

From Dragon Magazine: Acolyte of the Fist
From Draconomicon: a short dip into Initiate of Dragonic Mysteries
and From Complete Champion: Fist of the Forest

any suggestions? I dont see the advantage to Tatooed Monk in this case, and Im only in monk until 7th, in which I take the Substitution level.

Leon
2009-12-31, 08:12 PM
Improved Natural Weapon - to increases your small dice one step

Iron Fist (not sure if that's is what it is called) - exchanges your Stun blow attempts for extra damage

GrassyGnoll
2009-12-31, 09:04 PM
I'm a fan of the Weakening Touch feat from Complete Warrior. That and a two level dip in Justicar for a subdual SA and no save Str damage.

Justicar has a heavy feat requirement (Track and Skill Focus [Gather Info]) set up, but grants Improved Grapple on its second level. Plus, there's no shortage of variant feat arrays for monks for you to play around with.

Edit: Combining the Hunting Monk and Solitary Hunter (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) variant features pumps your monk with Favored Enemy, free cross classing, and takes care of that whole Track feat pre-req for Justicar. Solitary Hunting adds your considerable Favored Enemy bonuses to attack rolls. All this for the low, low price of your first bonus feat, Slow Fall and Animal Companion class features.