PDA

View Full Version : Consider the young children and animals on new year's eve

Ichneumon
2009-12-29, 12:04 PM
It's almost new year's eve (Happy New Year everyone:smallbiggrin:) and in many parts of the world this is celebrated by large firework specticles.

Although I wouldn't want to advocate (especially not here:smallwink:) against using fireworks entirely, I'd like to ask all of you to consider the young children and animals in your neighbourhood. The strange lights and loud noices produced by fireworks can freighten pets and very young children incredibly. New years eve can therefore understandably be a very terrifying experience for them.

Trying to calm them down might have a adverse effect for pets, as it confirms that "something" is happening, it is often better to just "show" your pet you aren't afraid or excited and that the sounds and lights are nothing special or not important. Just acting "normal" in the presence of your pet can be enough to calm him down and help him or her through this period.

Extremely young children will likely sleep the whole time, but consider them too, check on them regularly. When using fireworks, please avoid houses or places where you know young children or pets sleep.

Thanks and a happy joyful new year.

Swordgleam
2009-12-29, 04:17 PM
I used to live in a neighborhood with the sort of people this message is aimed at, and you're too late - they'll have been setting off fireworks at 3 am for at least a week already.

BizzaroStormy
2009-12-29, 04:59 PM
Is this supposed to be serious? It reeks of a joke topic. I mean, you don't see people saying this stuff on the 4th of July. Why would it matter now?

Crimmy
2009-12-29, 05:16 PM
Is this supposed to be serious? It reeks of a joke topic. I mean, you don't see people saying this stuff on the 4th of July. Why would it matter now?

So, basically, if you don't care for other's sleep on the 4th of July, you don't have to care for their sleep on any day.

Take into account that one people's rights end where other people's rights begin.

Meaning you should care for it both on 4th of July and December the 31st/January 1st.

arguskos
2009-12-29, 05:20 PM
So, basically, if you don't care for other's sleep on the 4th of July, you don't have to care for their sleep on any day.

Take into account that one people's rights end where other people's rights begin.

Meaning you should care for it both on 4th of July and December the 31st/January 1st.
And where do either of our rights begin and/or end? This is a sticky and dangerous road you are walking. Let's leave it alone.

As for the thread in general, thank you Iccy for reminding us to be decent humans. If not for you, I think many of us would probably not give it a second thought. Then again, I sleep through New Year's, so I don't think I'll be giving it a first thought! :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

GoC
2009-12-29, 05:36 PM
:smallconfused:
Where I come from fireworks are exciting and beautiful for kids and one of the most looked forward to things of the year. They're always sad when they're finally over. I'd actually encourage more...

EDIT: And no, keeping people awake has never been a problem. Strange...

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-29, 05:40 PM
Bah. Get those kids out to the roof to set off bottle rockets. As for the pets, well, give them treats and apologize later.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-29, 05:49 PM
Uhm, any place you go kids are the ones who usually like fireworks. It's the adults they piss off.

Also, when it comes to the rights of others.. I for example, hate it when some idiot decides to do construction work at 7 AM even if it's technically legal for him to do so. And that's without taking into account actual construction sites if you have to live next to them... How is this different from fireworks, especially on an occasion that calls for them (e.g. Halloween, New Year's, 4th of July)?

Crimmy
2009-12-29, 05:50 PM
And where do either of our rights begin and/or end? This is a sticky and dangerous road you are walking. Let's leave it alone.

You failed.
You missed the point entirely.

The thing is, you have the right to sleep sound and peaceful during new years eve.
Another guy has the right to light fireworks.

As far as I know, sleep is a needed metabolical process of the human body.
Lighting fireworks? I don't think it's necessary, or obligatory.

Thus, his rights to light fireworks end if somebody has a true need of sleeping.

But yeah, thanks Iccy.

Bah. Get those kids out to the roof to set off bottle rockets. As for the pets, well, give them treats and apologize later.

That's another viable road. Here in Mexico, there would be neither treats, nor apologies. That's why I care for the rights of sleeping...

arguskos
2009-12-29, 05:54 PM
You failed.
You missed the point entirely.

The thing is, you have the right to sleep sound and peaceful during new years eve.
Another guy has the right to light fireworks.

As far as I know, sleep is a needed metabolical process of the human body.
Lighting fireworks? I don't think it's necessary, or obligatory.

Thus, his rights to light fireworks end if somebody has a true need of sleeping.

But yeah, thanks Iccy.
And all that is your opinion, great woo hoo. I have a long list of ways to ignore noise, even very loud noise. If it's not illegal to light fireworks in my area, I have no right to stop them. Period. Granted, it might suck, but that's just tough, I'll deal with it.

Oh, and if you'd please refrain from insulting me, I'd appreciate that. :smallannoyed: Especially when I didn't miss the point, but mentioned that talking about rights is kinda straying into politics, which is against board regulations, and I don't want to see anyone get nicked for this discussion.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-29, 05:59 PM
well my family just sits around on new years watching movies for the most part anyway so don't worry about us .

good luck on your webcomic Ichneumon.

Phaedra
2009-12-29, 06:04 PM
It's almost new year's eve (Happy New Year everyone:smallbiggrin:) and in many parts of the world this is celebrated by large firework specticles.

Although I wouldn't want to advocate (especially not here:smallwink:) against using fireworks entirely, I'd like to ask all of you to consider the young children and animals in your neighbourhood. The strange lights and loud noices produced by fireworks can freighten pets and very young children incredibly. New years eve can therefore understandably be a very terrifying experience for them.

Trying to calm them down might have a adverse effect for pets, as it confirms that "something" is happening, it is often better to just "show" your pet you aren't afraid or excited and that the sounds and lights are nothing special or not important. Just acting "normal" in the presence of your pet can be enough to calm him down and help him or her through this period.

Extremely young children will likely sleep the whole time, but consider them too, check on them regularly. When using fireworks, please avoid houses or places where you know young children or pets sleep.

Thanks and a happy joyful new year.

Sadly I suspect the kind of people this warning needs to be given to are not the type of people who will a) be reading this forum and b) listen to a warning. Nonetheless it's a kind thought.

There's actually a by-law in my area forbidding the use of fireworks past 11:30, I believe, though I think it may not apply on New Years' Eve. In any case it seems to have had no effect whatsoever, people round here still seem to have a strange obsession with sparkles.

Tirian
2009-12-29, 06:05 PM
Not so much. Certainly, you have the right to a peaceful nights' sleep well over three hundred and fifty nights a year, but high-profile public holidays are a part of living in civilization. I'm sure we all agree that Fresh Calendar Day is a pretty lame excuse for a holiday, but there you are. Get out to where the fireworks are and party, or wake up and grumble and roll over and go back to sleep, or wear earplugs to bed. But your right to sleep is balanced against ten thousand people's rights to enjoy fireworks one of two nights of the year, and you lose that one.

Crimmy
2009-12-29, 06:25 PM
And all that is your opinion, great woo hoo. I have a long list of ways to ignore noise, even very loud noise. If it's not illegal to light fireworks in my area, I have no right to stop them. Period. Granted, it might suck, but that's just tough, I'll deal with it.

Oh, and if you'd please refrain from insulting me, I'd appreciate that. :smallannoyed: Especially when I didn't miss the point, but mentioned that talking about rights is kinda straying into politics, which is against board regulations, and I don't want to see anyone get nicked for this discussion.

You never said that talking about rights was against board regulations.
And I never insulted you.

And, as far as I know, you can complain for noise, and have the right to stop them if they're taking away your sleep hours.

You don't have to get all hot-headed over the opinion of another person.

As for the bolded and underlined part of the quote, that is insulting.

Silverraptor
2009-12-29, 06:31 PM
There is a funny story that has to deal with one of my cats on New Years on the year 2000.:smallamused:

Gamerlord
2009-12-29, 06:34 PM
Meh, never really light fireworks anyway.

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-29, 09:34 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please keep it civil in here.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-29, 09:39 PM
Fireworks on New Years? I've never lived anyplace that was warm enough for that even to be an option. If you're outside that late at night there's a good chance your dead.

Jack Squat
2009-12-29, 09:59 PM
I figure if the neighbors have a problem with it, they'll complain. If they do, I'll respect them. I also tend to follow that whole "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" line of thought. YMMV.

However, the one thing to consider for fireworks is safety. Dead grass and dried out roofs (and buildup in the gutters) are more prone this time of year, and can result in fires - which aren't really a good way to start a year. Keep a good sized fire extinguisher and a hose (if possible) handy moreso than you should on the 4th.

Anuan
2009-12-29, 10:05 PM
Ich, you've got a strange tendency of starting threads with an innocent, though odd, premise that end up spiralling into arguments and thread-locking.

It's quite uncanny.

arguskos
2009-12-30, 12:22 AM
Apologies Roland, my fingers got the best of my common sense. Twas not my intention to offend. :smallfrown:

Ichneumon
2009-12-30, 12:40 AM
Ich, you've got a strange tendency of starting threads with an innocent, though odd, premise that end up spiralling into arguments and thread-locking.

It's quite uncanny.

You tell me? :smalltongue:

I didn't expect this at all though.

ghost_warlock
2009-12-30, 01:28 AM
You never expect the Spanish Inquisition Ichneumon Thread.

Felixaar
2009-12-30, 04:53 AM
Fireworks are illegal here. Everyone sit around and mope with me :smallfrown:

Quincunx
2009-12-30, 07:42 AM
Fireworks on New Years? I've never lived anyplace that was warm enough for that even to be an option. If you're outside that late at night there's a good chance your dead.

Dear Thatguyoverther,

Wuss.

Signed, the Nordic countries.

(They go out at midnight on New Year's and light GIANT sparklers--those little stick-thin ones would get laughed out of the country--and make nifty paper bag balloons with candles inside, which horrified me annually as they drifted up into the sky above MILLIONS OF FLAMMABLE TREES.)

It's quite uncanny.

Uncanny? It's simple. Ichneumon posts a moral lecture from the point of moral superiority, as though the other members of the board are to be lectured and not conversed with. Flames ensue because, more than anything, people hate being talked down to by an equal. (For extra credit, class ((see? subtle implicit insult)), try putting that into a post report while fending off the equally implicit idea that you're being oversensitive to possibilities.)

Uhm, any place you go kids are the ones who usually like fireworks. It's the adults they piss off. . . .

Amen. Kids might curl up and clamp their hands over their ears and wish the fireworks away, but if someone's being irate about your right to set them off, it's someone old enough to think through that distinction.

Tirian
2009-12-30, 10:07 AM

You're missing out. The most beautiful fireworks display I have ever seen was a NYE celebration in the middle of a blizzard. Imagine a nice fireworks display, and then imagine adding a billion prisms between them and you. Oh. My. God.

Ichneumon
2009-12-30, 10:44 AM
Uncanny? It's simple. Ichneumon posts a moral lecture from the point of moral superiority, as though the other members of the board are to be lectured and not conversed with. Flames ensue because, more than anything, people hate being talked down to by an equal. (For extra credit, class ((see? subtle implicit insult)), try putting that into a post report while fending off the equally implicit idea that you're being oversensitive to possibilities.)

I only posted a thread in which I asked people to be considerate when lightining fireworks. I didn't tell them it is wrong or anything, just asked if people would consider the fact that pets and very small children find it frightening and help them through this difficult time. I don't think I was acting like I felt morally superior.

If this is meant more in general, although I have never hidden the fact that I strongly disagree with some people on certain subjects, I don't think I've ever belittled them or treated them without respect.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-12-30, 12:14 PM
Quincunx, whether or not I agree with you on this certain subject, I desire more than anything to grow up and be as precise and ruthless with my speech as you.

Jayabalard
2009-12-30, 12:50 PM
The thing is, you have the right to sleep sound and peaceful during new years eve.You have te right to buy some ear plugs too.

try putting that into a post report while fending off the equally implicit idea that you're being oversensitive to possibilities.)

Click Report
Type "Trolling/flaming"
???
Let the moderator who has plenty of common sense deal with it; in general, they're quite capable of picking up on why a post would have been reported even without having to read the report.

Crimmy
2009-12-30, 02:14 PM
Apologies Roland, my fingers got the best of my common sense. Twas not my intention to offend. :smallfrown:

Nor it was mine to keep it going.:smalleek:

GoC
2009-12-30, 03:24 PM
:smallfrown:
Poor you.:smallfrown:

Quincunx: Hehehe... I figured that was the case but didn't want to risk an infraction or flamewar...

Tiger Duck
2009-12-30, 05:03 PM
I too am not really a fan of large amounts of fireworks. I've sent one new years at an aunt's house in Den Haag a decade ago and I still feel unpleasant when I think back at it. It's how imagine how a war zone looks like.:smallamused:

But luckily I live in a small village so even if all the neighbours we have would light some fireworks it still wouldn't bother me.:smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2009-12-30, 05:14 PM

That's never stopped anyone around here :smalltongue:

(note: I am not condoning the breaking of laws, just pointing out that even though everywhere I've lived has "banned" fireworks, there's been no shortage of them and no effort to stop their use by police)

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-30, 05:31 PM
Fireworks are illegal here as well. I wish I still lived in Germany. We could get giant Wile E. Coyote fireworks there and set them off from the tops of buildings.

Zar Peter
2009-12-30, 05:36 PM
Fireworks are illegal here as well. I wish I still lived in Germany. We could get giant Wile E. Coyote fireworks there and set them off from the tops of buildings.

But I bet it was illegal, too. I mean, here in Vienna everything above Class 2 fireworks is forbidden but guess how many people have Class 3 and above. It's only forbidden to fire them, there's no law against selling them.

(Oh, and I have cats and kids. The cats are at their nerves end and the kids are crying because we don't buy fireworks).

Pyrian
2009-12-30, 05:48 PM
That's never stopped anyone around here :smalltongue:

(note: I am not condoning the breaking of laws, just pointing out that even though everywhere I've lived has "banned" fireworks, there's been no shortage of them and no effort to stop their use by police)They take it a little more seriously these days here in "kindling city", Southern California. :smalltongue:

Anuan
2009-12-30, 08:17 PM
Dear Thatguyoverther,

Wuss.

Signed, the Nordic countries.

(They go out at midnight on New Year's and light GIANT sparklers--those little stick-thin ones would get laughed out of the country--and make nifty paper bag balloons with candles inside, which horrified me annually as they drifted up into the sky above MILLIONS OF FLAMMABLE TREES.)

Amen. Kids might curl up and clamp their hands over their ears and wish the fireworks away, but if someone's being irate about your right to set them off, it's someone old enough to think through that distinction.

Every time. Every time you post I wish I was just a little more eloquent and as able to control my anger into little concise statements the way you do without fear of infractions/bans/similar. Every. Time.
Though my response you quoted was an attempt to do just that...
Teach me your ways, Mistress of the Line.

SDF
2009-12-30, 09:25 PM
I hate children, but love explosives! New Years is pretty great.

Most US cities have a 24 hour noise ordinance anyway. I was talking with a cop who doesn't really know where a lot of the after such and such time myths on the regulations came from. So if a guy is starting construction work on his house or in his garage at 7am you can still call the cops on him. Calling the police on New Years Eve over fireworks would probably get you laughed at or yelled at, unless they were actually illegal in your area, though.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-30, 10:08 PM
I personally find it ironic when people call cops regarding fireworks or to get a cat out of a tree and then complain that cops do a crappy job of catching drug dealers. Well, at least these people have their priorities in order...

Seriously, cops don't have infinite resources (in most places they don't even have sufficient resources to do their job). And the more they spend going after trivial stuff like fireworks on a major holiday, the less resources they have to do important stuff.

PS: this would be a good thread to mention that one of my best friends became a mountie just recently. With the red mountie suit and all!

Jack Squat
2009-12-30, 10:30 PM
They take it a little more seriously these days here in "kindling city", Southern California. :smalltongue:

You should move to a place less flammable. I know we've got a good concentration of playgrounders in ETN already, but I'm sure we could squeeze another in somewhere if you're looking for suggestions :smallwink:

Don Julio: I think your friend has deserved the nickname Dudley, if he hasn't been given it already.

Cubey
2009-12-30, 10:41 PM
Truth to be told, several thousand pets (dunno about children) DO die each New Year's Eve from stress and heart attacks caused by firework explosions. Which is why you have to, y'know, keep them inside the house. It doesn't completely eliminate the noise, but it's the best you can do.

Of course, making kids stay inside the house during friggin' New Year's Eve is impossible, so I guess they're done for.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-12-30, 11:01 PM
Yeah, okay, I can see why people would want to set of fireworks on New Year's. Only you have to go outside to do it, and STAY outside long enough to set off enough to make it worthwhile, and to watch 'em if there's enough to be worthwhile.

What I'm saying is it's ferdiggerin' cold up here.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-31, 12:15 AM
Yeah, okay, I can see why people would want to set of fireworks on New Year's. Only you have to go outside to do it, and STAY outside long enough to set off enough to make it worthwhile, and to watch 'em if there's enough to be worthwhile.

What I'm saying is it's ferdiggerin' cold up here.

I think I set of fireworks sometime in early November, because it was unusually warm.

Those will be my new years eve fireworks this is, I think.

Coidzor
2009-12-31, 12:37 AM
Huh. We didn't know small children were scared of fireworks unless they were right up near 'em or anything like that.

Never really think about small children registering fireworks or thunderstorms... Or as human, really...

SDF
2009-12-31, 12:57 AM
Truth to be told, several thousand pets (dunno about children) DO die each New Year's Eve from stress and heart attacks caused by firework explosions.

Do you have a link or any data on that? Because it sounds like complete BS to me.

Cubey
2009-12-31, 02:04 AM
Do you have a link or any data on that? Because it sounds like complete BS to me.

I had a link. It wasn't in English though. And the news portal it came from... wasn't an untrustworthy tabloid, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was wrong on this one. If it's just an old wives' tale then good enough for me.