PDA

View Full Version : Automate (Enchantment Buff - PEACH)

Lysander
2009-12-29, 06:00 PM
Automate
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One willing humanoid creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

A willing subject's personality is suppressed, allowing their mind to run with cold mechanical efficiency. Their charisma is temporarily reduced to 1. In exchange the subject cannot be affected by any other mind-affecting effects for the duration of the Automate spell. This can suppress the effects of other spells, but does not dispel or block them. While automated a subject has free will, they merely pursue their objectives in an emotionless robotic manner.

brujon
2009-12-29, 06:59 PM
I would say it's too open-ended... Cold mechanical efficiency means: that they are going to be more effective at it; that they are going to ignore all other tasks; they are going to attempt to ignore/neutralize all annoyances?

I would give it some disadvantages such as, if something/someone is disrupting the task at hand, you roll as for confusion, IE: Do nothing, attack, etc...

Also, make it so that the person is unable to use social skills while under the effect of the spell.

As is, the spell is too powerful. Immunity to mind-affecting for 1 round/level with the only drawback being 1 charisma(dump stat for almost everyone), with no cap, and at lvl 1?

Temotei
2009-12-29, 07:54 PM
Automate
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One willing humanoid creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

A willing subject's personality is suppressed, allowing their mind to run with cold mechanical efficiency. Their charisma is temporarily reduced to 1. In exchange the subject cannot be affected by any other mind-affecting effects for the duration of the Automate spell. This can suppress the effects of other spells, but does not dispel or block them. While automated a subject has free will, they merely pursue their objectives in an emotionless robotic manner.

When I think of automated things, I think automatic (big surprise) machines. Things that are set to do a specific thing. Maybe you could make it so the character affected may only perform one task, such as attacking a particular creature, defending someone, or going on healing duty. As is, it's too powerful for a first level spell. Then raise the spell level.

robotrobot2
2009-12-30, 08:20 AM
First off, increase the charisma penalty to -2. You always have to use even numbers to make sure the penalty to skill checks and the like is always -1. I would also suggest adding another drawback, such as a -1 morale penalty on attack rolls and saving throws. As is, this spell is infringing on the power level of mind blank, and uses a much lower spell slot. Making a permanent item of this spell would be ridiculously useful for every class, except maybe sorceror, bard and paladin.

DracoDei
2009-12-30, 09:22 AM
RobotRobot2: It is true that making ability score penalties and bonuses even numbers is generally a good idea. Like many other design principles, there are exceptions.

Doesn't happen to be relevent in this case though, since it doesn't reduce your charisma BY 1, it reduces it TO 1. It still very well MIGHT be overpowered, but the short duration helps a lot (including by increasing the cost of the magic item you mentioned).

nxwtypx
2009-12-30, 12:17 PM
I'd rename it to Automaton; and my spin on it is:

Give a +2 enhancement bonus to int, and a -4 enhancement penalty to wis and cha, not driving anything below 1. Give the recipient a +1 insight bonus to any attack roll against the same enemy or use of the same skill as done in a previous round. Let this bonus increase by one for each repetition, to a maximum of half of the caster's level.

If that seems a bit much, perhaps bolster it to a 2nd level spell then?