PDA

View Full Version : Druid/Wizard? Does such a thing exist?

dyslexicfaser
2009-12-29, 06:44 PM
As the title suggests, I want to make a druid/wizard double threat-type character, because as incompatible as those classes are, I feel I need them both to make a credible electricity/air-based PC.

Is there one of those combination classes (like Eldritch Disciple, or Rage Mage, or whatever) for that pair? I'd like to get at least 7th level wizard casting and 9th level druid casting by the end of it while still taking 3 levels of Stormlord, so I don't get blown around by my own storms.

Thoughts?

mostlyharmful
2009-12-29, 06:48 PM
Arcane Hierophant. might want to google it.

Jack_Simth
2009-12-29, 06:49 PM
There is, actually.

1) Mystic Theurge: Will work, but isn't quite what you want (although it helps for leading in to...)
2) Arcane Hierophant (Races of the Wild)

The reason you want Mystic Theurge as a lead in? Arcane Hierophant has a BAB requirement of +4; the Wizard-3/Druid-3 classic entry won't work (BAB of +3), so you'll need two levels of MT to get the extra BAB. Plus, you know, using both means that you can cast as a Wiz-17/Druid-17 at level 20...

Draz74
2009-12-29, 06:50 PM
As the title suggests, I want to make a druid/wizard double threat-type character, because as incompatible as those classes are, I feel I need them both to make a credible electricity/air-based PC.

Is there one of those combination classes (like Eldritch Disciple, or Rage Mage, or whatever) for that pair? I'd like to get at least 7th level wizard casting and 9th level druid casting by the end of it while still taking 3 levels of Stormlord, so I don't get blown around by my own storms.

Thoughts?

Well, I think there is one specifically for this combination -- it even combines your Animal Companion and Familiar -- but I can't remember its name at the moment. Someone else will have to respond.

However, wouldn't plain old Mystic Theurge work as well? If all you care about from your Druid side is spellcasting, not Wild Shape and so forth ...

EDIT: very ninja'd! :smalltongue:

Swiftest
2009-12-29, 06:50 PM
Races of the Wild has the Arcane Heirophant prestige class, which makes the combination you've mentioned plausible. Levels in Arcane Heirophant count toward both your arcane and divine spellcasting, and they also stack with druid for wild shape, etc. You can even combine your familiar and animal companion somewhat and do some nifty things with spell origins related to animals -- it's quite good, but arguably still not better than maxing out casting levels in one class or the other, at least not until you can have epic spellcasting in both.

Edit: super ninja'ed, man I'm a slow typer today....

Tyndmyr
2009-12-29, 06:51 PM
Search for my old dual class progression thread. I don't think it's hit the month mark, but I believe it lists them all, and there was one specifically designed for druid/arcane, IIRC.

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-29, 07:03 PM
Ninja'd! Double-Ninja'd! Triple-Ninja'd! Multi-Ninja'd! Bwahahahahah!

...Ahem.

Bibliomancer
2009-12-29, 07:09 PM
An alternative question is does this combination work thematically, and I believe that the answer is yes. Your character would probably end up being a scientist who is reverent of the nature that s/he studies. With lightning.

Thus, you are as analytical as a wizard but as respectful as a druid and as intelligent as a wizard but as wise as a druid, always attempting to understand and harness the natural world without damaging it. With lightning.

You'll have to find your own explanation for the "with lightning" part of your character.

Eldariel
2009-12-29, 07:10 PM
There is, actually.

1) Mystic Theurge: Will work, but isn't quite what you want (although it helps for leading in to...)
2) Arcane Hierophant (Races of the Wild)

The reason you want Mystic Theurge as a lead in? Arcane Hierophant has a BAB requirement of +4; the Wizard-3/Druid-3 classic entry won't work (BAB of +3), so you'll need two levels of MT to get the extra BAB. Plus, you know, using both means that you can cast as a Wiz-17/Druid-17 at level 20...

There's this wonderful thing called Fractional BAB by which Wizard 3/Druid 3 enters just fine. Of course, then there's the stupid clause regarding Wildshape which by RAW means you don't get it unless you had it while entering. Ah well, you can just tell WoTC go ef them self and pick it up anyways.

Leon
2009-12-29, 07:51 PM
Or do without it, AH is more about the Super pet rather than being a animal all day

Kroy
2009-12-29, 08:54 PM
There's this wonderful thing called Fractional BAB by which Wizard 3/Druid 3 enters just fine. Of course, then there's the stupid clause regarding Wildshape which by RAW means you don't get it unless you had it while entering. Ah well, you can just tell WoTC go ef them self and pick it up anyways.

Wait what? 2.25 + 1.5 = 3.75 =/= 4

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-29, 09:20 PM
There's this wonderful thing called Fractional BAB by which Wizard 3/Druid 3 enters just fine.Actually, it doesn't. .75x3+.5x3=3.75, rounds down. However, in that case, MT only needs 1 level to allow you entry.

Eldariel
2009-12-29, 10:02 PM
Hey, I fail math. Cool. Somehow I added extra .5 to the deal. Ah well, yeah, at least it's easier to enter via. MT that way.