PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Problems with Encounters

tgva8889
2009-12-29, 11:33 PM
Hello all. I'm DMing a campaign, and I'm having a little trouble.

We're using minimal extra content, only adding the PHB2, MIC, and the Dragon-oriented books (Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, and Dragon Magic) due to the campaign setting. My party consists of a Dragonborn Knight, a Gnome Beguiler, an Elf Sorcerer, and a Human Cleric. The problem is the Beguiler class is giving me a few troubles designing encounters; every encounter I can think of either results in almost all the Beguiler's spells becoming completely useless due or a really easy fight because the enemy monsters are made to completely suck, for lack of a better term. Because the Beguiler is entirely designed around "Save or Suck" spells, it becomes difficult to design an encounter where I feel the party is actually in some amount of danger. While it's good every now and again for the party to have an easy fight, I do want them to feel like they are mortal rather than invincible.

Can anyone help me? I'm sure it's a problem with the way I'm thinking about encounters and not the characters themselves.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-29, 11:37 PM
What do the Sorcerer, and Cleric cast primarily?

Your best bet is probably more enemies. The Beguiler's primary Save-or-X spells only target one opponent, so they'll be able to either take out one at a time(wasting slots)or switch to using spells like Haste and Legion of Sentinels.

jmbrown
2009-12-29, 11:41 PM
Beguiler can't hit what he can't see. You haven't told us what level your party is but there are a lot of sneaky but deadly monsters like chokers that can effectively sneak up on anyone not specifically trained in spotting/listening. Use terrain features like obstructions to give monsters total concealment and have them make readied actions to hit the first person that comes into view. You can also toss in traps or terrain hazards like rock slides and pitfalls.

If all else fails then combat spellcasters with other spellcasters. A covey of hags, an ogre mage, a rakshasa, a typical outsider, etc.

tgva8889
2009-12-29, 11:50 PM
What do the Sorcerer, and Cleric cast primarily?

The cleric is primarily a healbot, and the Sorcerer pretty much defaults to Fire spells. In fact, I think besides Magic Missile every single one of his spells is Fire elemental.

The party is level 6 currently. They are also currently traveling with a bard who only really buffs. She has a few illusions, but those should be rather small in comparison to other problems.

sonofzeal
2009-12-29, 11:52 PM
Beguilers are almost entirely useless against constructs and undead. Use some constructs and undead. Better yet, use mixed encounters where there's a few targets for the Beguiler but some others he can't touch. A Necromancer with skeletal minions, or a squad of footsoldiers travelling with a Golem or Warforged Titan.

Darius Rae
2009-12-29, 11:57 PM
Drow Beguiler... give him a taste of his own medicine with a dash of spell resistance. And for dessert, have the drow umd some necromancy spells

AslanCross
2009-12-30, 01:12 AM
Beguilers are almost entirely useless against constructs and undead. Use some constructs and undead. Better yet, use mixed encounters where there's a few targets for the Beguiler but some others he can't touch. A Necromancer with skeletal minions, or a squad of footsoldiers travelling with a Golem or Warforged Titan.

Yeah, this looks good. Having more enemies, specifically ones that are immune to mind-affecting, is a pretty good idea. That way the party's efforts will be divided. The beguiler can nail the ones that are affected, while the other party members hold off the immune guys and hack them to pieces.