PDA

View Full Version : How about this for a haste houserule

Akisa
2009-12-30, 02:40 AM
I was wondering if giving Haste an extra move action so melee can move and full attack. But if they give up move action for the round they can choose to add an extra attack at their full BAB.

Optimystik
2009-12-30, 03:23 AM
Seems all right to me. Casters still get Phantom Steed after all.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-30, 03:35 AM
Or an extra standard that can only be used for physical actions. Something along the lines of haste speeding up your body, not your mind.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-30, 06:23 AM
I'm sorry, but this is a violation of the spirit of 3E, & I cannot allow it. You should always remember one of the cardinal rules of 3E design:

NON-CASTERS CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.
:smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2009-12-30, 08:00 AM
I still use the old version of haste, you know, the one that ages the recipient.

Noble Savant
2009-12-30, 08:12 AM
In other words, elves can use haste and everyone else can go to hell? Ah 2e, Speciesism/Racism at it's best.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-30, 08:25 AM
In other words, elves can use haste and everyone else can go to hell? Ah 2e, Speciesism/Racism at it's best.

Hey, Elves in 3E can still play with that fire, while everyone else gets burned faster. Except Elans & Warforged, which can age all day without a care.

Optimystik
2009-12-30, 08:35 AM
NON-CASTERS CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.
:smallbiggrin:

Well, they kind of still can't, given that they need a caster to get the spell/make the boots/make the potion for them and all.

@ dsmiles: How many games is age even relevant anyway? I'd love to meet the player that actually stopped and said "I don't think the bonus to AC and reflex is worth it, I've already dropped 5 years off my maximum age!" To paraphrase Belkar, dying of old age is for NPCs anyway.

Also, this might be relevant: The Evolution of Haste (http://d21-gaming.com/blog/2006/10/26/evolution-of-the-haste-spell/)

dsmiles
2009-12-30, 08:39 AM
@Optimystik:

I run an age-relevant campaign that spans generations of characters. Down-time in my campaigns isn't necessarily a couple of days or a few weeks. It could be a few months or even a year. Adventurers deserve time on the white beaches of the tropics too!

Oslecamo
2009-12-30, 08:49 AM
I run an age-relevant campaign that spans generations of characters. Down-time in my campaigns isn't necessarily a couple of days or a few weeks. It could be a few months or even a year. Adventurers deserve time on the white beaches of the tropics too!

You mean that in your campaigns the whole world isn't composed of cold logic fanatics that work all day long for a single unified purpose whitout caring for their own feelings and needs? BLASPHEMY!:smalltongue:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-30, 08:50 AM
The Evolution of Haste (http://d21-gaming.com/blog/2006/10/26/evolution-of-the-haste-spell/)

In any case, we can see the general trend of the later editions to lock down the spell casting characters to the role of “combat support.” No more parties will ever be composed of only wizards like they were back in the day.

No, of course not; we have to get erudite, artificer, and archivist in the party too.

dsmiles
2009-12-30, 08:54 AM
Hey, Elves in 3E can still play with that fire, while everyone else gets burned faster. Except Elans & Warforged, which can age all day without a care.

and the undead...don't forget the undead...:smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2009-12-30, 08:57 AM

Don't know 'bout dsmiles, but in 2nd ed., I always used the "one year loss" related to the lifespan of the race. It accelerates the metabolism, so you losed the equivalent of one-human-year for your race.

Another_Poet
2009-12-30, 10:58 AM
The extra move action is fine.

Longcat
2009-12-30, 11:08 AM
Extra move action is fine, as long as you clarify that 2 move action=/=1 standard action, e.g. casters shouldn't be able to cast additional spells per round due to haste.

Otherwise, you might as well use 3.0 haste.

ericgrau
2009-12-30, 11:10 AM
Giving casters leap spring attack spell might be a problem. Rule that if you take 2 move actions you can't split it with a standard.

Akisa
2009-12-31, 02:46 PM
Giving casters leap attack spell might be a problem. Rule that if you take 2 move actions you can't split it with a standard.

It does give casters leap attack, it gives a psuedo spring attack.

Draz74
2009-12-31, 02:51 PM

Don't forget Dragons. Dragons who Haste themselves repeatedly at the end of every peaceful, noncombatant day, just to make themselves more powerful via aging. Those silly Elans and Warforged and Undead? They're just unaffected by magical aging, rather than aided by it ...

Blackfang108
2009-12-31, 02:56 PM
Don't forget Dragons. Dragons who Haste themselves repeatedly at the end of every peaceful, noncombatant day, just to make themselves more powerful via aging. Those silly Elans and Warforged and Undead? They're just unaffected by magical aging, rather than aided by it ...

Elans and Warforged still have aging categories, just no maximum age.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-31, 03:07 PM
What about 4e?

Haste (Wizard Utility 7)
Encounter
Area Burst 3
Target: All allies in burst
Effect: Targeted allies gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex defense until the beginning of your next turn.

taltamir
2009-12-31, 03:35 PM
Seems all right to me. Casters still get Phantom Steed after all.

unless they specialize and ban conjuration :)
(that was a joke)

@OP, I think this allows waaaay too much move in one round. especially considering how low the combat bonuses are, I just don't see it matching...

Why not make it so that, while under the effect of haste, a "full attack" is a standard action. and you can perform a "full attack +", which is a full attack + 1 extra attack which takes your entire hasted round.
Same result

EDIT: actually, to avoid confusion and have the same exact results... leave the full attack as is (what I suggested calling full attack +), create a new attack called "hasted attack". which is a standard action and performs as many attacks as a full attack.

Draz74
2009-12-31, 04:12 PM
What about 4e?

Haste (Wizard Utility 7)
Encounter
Area Burst 3
Target: All allies in burst
Effect: Targeted allies gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex defense until the beginning of your next turn.

Is this real? And is it Minor Action or Standard Action? Because if that's Standard Action ... wow, that seems rather underpowered.

taltamir
2009-12-31, 04:14 PM
Is this real? And is it Minor Action or Standard Action? Because if that's Standard Action ... wow, that seems rather underpowered.

WOTC realized that breaking time, and the action economy in general, is not a good thing for balance...
underpowering such spells is important...

haste in 3e is CL allies for CL rounds doing a constant boost to each... so its power is CL*CL*Constant. It gets stronger exponentially. And it is really really strong to begin with.
the effect of 1 extra attack DOUBLES the strength of any attack before level 6

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 04:24 PM
So...be a druid.

Age yourself to venerable via haste.

Use any of the methods to get a new, happy, young body.

Repeat until your mental stats are high enough. Wherever that is.

Live in animal form, and enjoy being the bear god.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-31, 04:43 PM

I made it up, though I forgot to include a bonus to speed. Maybe +2 squares.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-31, 04:59 PM

Ah, you forget the side effect of magical aging: The need to make a Fortitude save or die.

Eat that, Mr. -2 Con!

Draz74
2009-12-31, 06:11 PM
Ah, you forget the side effect of magical aging: The need to make a Fortitude save or die.

Eat that, Mr. -2 Con!

'Twas a System Shock roll, actually ... since AD&D had a different funky saves system ...

"Eat that, Mr. -Con!" is still a valid retort, of course.

Prime32
2009-12-31, 06:35 PM
Why not make it so that, while under the effect of haste, a "full attack" is a standard action.Or just do this all the time. Your monks will cry slightly less often.

Heck, DDO lets you move between attacks in a full attack (a la dervish dance), you just take a penalty while doing so.

Matthew
2010-01-05, 04:21 PM
Or just do this all the time. Your monks will cry slightly less often.

Indeed. Still, this sounds like a reasonable house-rule for haste.