PDA

View Full Version : Making a language: Sefirric

Zom B
2009-12-30, 10:45 AM
Chubarek alt ailen!

Oh, I'm sorry, let me say that in English: Hello and greetings!

I've undertaken the project of creating a language, which I have called Sefirric. I have a long list of verbs, adjectives, adverbs, nouns, pronouns, prepositions, and conjunctions but could use your help. I need some sentences that would not seem out of place in an in-game conversation. I will translate them, and if you've thought of a word I don't have, I'll make sure to say so in my reply. Furthermore, I'll go on to explain the sentence's construction. When all is said and done, I'll post the full language online so that you can include it in your games and written material for such.

So, to get things started, here is an example:

English: This should be fun.
Sefirric: Den sidon choi gura.
Pronunciation: Den sih-don choy gor-rah
Breakdown: Den (this) sidon (conjugated form of masculine verb sidoi, meaning "to be obligated") choi (infinitive form of "to be") gura (fun).
Literal: This should be fun.
New vocabulary: This, fun.

Verbs are masculine (-oi) or feminine (-ai), but not nouns. Here is the conjugation procedure on verbs:

{table=head]Suffix| Type
-o| I (masculine)
-a| I (feminine)
-ol| you (masc vernacular)
-al| you (fem vern)
-oli| you (masc respective)
-ali| you (fem resp)
-oler| you (group masc vern)
-aler| you (group fem vern)
-olieren| you (group masc resp)
-alieren| you (group fem resp)
-on| him/her/it (masc)
-an| him/her/it (fem)
-osto| we (masc)
-asta| we (fem)
-erest| they (masc)
-alest| they (fem)[/table]

NEW: The first rough draft of the Sefirric language is available at Drop.io (http://drop.io/Sefirric).

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-30, 10:59 AM
"Your money or your life!"

"Scream - scream for mercy."

"Do you have rooms available?"

"Can I kill him? Please?"

"Yield, infidel!"

That should get you started ^_^

Ichneumon
2009-12-30, 11:04 AM
"Aim your arrows at the one with the pointy ears!"

"May the power of *insert deity* compel you!"

Ashtagon
2009-12-30, 11:04 AM
Two beers, please barman. And two for my friend the barbarian.

How much is that in real money?

So you've been to Greyhawk City? You must know my Aunt Liandra.

You're very pretty for a foreigner.

I've never thought that 'impotent' means you can't have a good time.

I admire you above all for your purity of spirit and your appreciation of the arts.

dsmiles
2009-12-30, 11:11 AM
"Where is the outhouse?"

"Move along, citizen. There is nothing to see here."

Also, I would need all of the existing cusswords for my orc fighter, who only learns enough of each language to scream obscenities at his enemies. :smallwink:

arguskos
2009-12-30, 11:31 AM
"KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"

"KILL IT WITH <insert element here>!!"

Both are perennial favorites of my D&D groups.

Ichneumon
2009-12-30, 11:34 AM
"The wizard did it."

Zom B
2009-12-30, 11:34 AM
English: "Your money or your life!"
Sefirric: V'ut ilim no v'ut zist!
Pronunciation: Vuh-oot ill-lim no vuh-oot zeest
Breakdown: V'ut (I'll get to this below) ilim (money) no (or) v'ut zist (life, derived from verb zistoi, to live)!
Literal: Your money or your life!
New vocabulary: money

To say "your" in Sefirric, choose the appropriate form of "you": There's "ut", the vernacular "you", there's "m'ut", the respective "you", and then there's "uten" and "m'uten", the plural vernacular and respective, respectively. Prefixing the correct pronoun with "v'" changes it to "your".

English: "Scream - scream for mercy."
Sefirric: Irisal'e - irisal'e avo aconsa.
Pronunciation: Irr-iss-ahl-ay - irr-iss-ahl-ay ah-vo ah-cone-sa
Breakdown: Irisal'e (Irisai, meaning "to yell or scream", with -'e appended to make it a command) - irisal'e avo (for) aconsa (mercy, derived from verb aconsai, to show mercy).
Literal: Scream - scream for mercy.
New vocabulary: for (surprised me that I didn't have it, too)

English: "Do you have rooms available?"
Sefirric: Ostoli ut ycera melten?
Pronunciation: oh-stole-ee oot ee-serr-uh mel-ten
Breakdown: Ostoli (conjugated form of ostoi, to have) ut (vern. you) ycera (available or free, pronounced "ee-serr-rye", from verb ycerai, "to free") melten (plural form of melte, or room)?
Literal: Have you free rooms?
New vocabulary: None.

English: "Can I kill him? Please?"
Sefirric: Quepo E pisotai a teno? Mol?
Pronunciation: Kay-po ay pee-so-tie ah te-no? Mole?
Breakdown: Quepo (conjugated form of quepoi, meaning "to be able to") E (I, me) pisotai (infinitive form, meaning "to kill") a (to*) teno (he, him)? Mol (please, from verb moloi, meaning "to beg")?
Literal: Can I kill to him? Please?

*If performing an action to a person or object, it is "<verb> to <target>". Think like "sing to her", except it is also the rule for something like "kill to him".

English: "Yield, infidel!"
Sefirric: Quantol'e, un'credilora!
Pronunciation: Kwan-toll-ay, oon-cred-ee-lore-uh
Breakdown: Quantol'e (from verb quantoi, meaning "to surrender", although meshtoi, "to bend" may have also worked here, with -'e added to form a command), un'credilora (literally, means "non-believer", from un'-, meaning "the opposite of", and credoi, "to believe". -ilora (feminine verb) and -olero (masculine verb), meaning "one who does this action")
Literal: Surrender, non-believer!
New vocabulary: Added meshtoi, "to bend".

Zom B
2009-12-30, 12:58 PM
English: "Aim your arrows at the one with the pointy ears!"
Sefirric: Feshtal'e v'ut redelen ta li an mel nusten estana!
Pronunciation: Fesh-tahl-ay vuh-oot ray-dell-en tah lee ahn mell noo-sten ess-stah-nuh
Breakdown: Feshtal'e (feshtai, to aim) v'ut redelen (plural redel, arrow) ta (at) li (the) an (one) mel (with) nusten (plural nust, ear) estana (sharp or pointy, from estanai, "to sharpen")!
Literal: Aim your arrows at the one with sharpened ears!
New vocabulary: to aim, arrow, with, pointy, ear, to sharpen

English: "May the power of *insert deity* compel you!"
Sefirric: Quepon'e li esmer vo *deity* lanan a ut!
Pronunciation: Kay-pon-ay lee ez-mur voe *deity* lann-ann ah oot
Breakdown: Quepon'e (quepoi, "to be able to", conjugated with subject "power", with -'e to form a command) li esmer (power) vo (of) *deity* lanan (lanai, "to compel or push") a ut (to you)!
Literal: May the power of *deity* compel to you!
New vocabulary: power, to compel

English: "Two beers, please, barman. And two for my friend, the barbarian."
Sefirric: Le waleshten, mol, utykilora. Alt le avo v'e ula, li fomolero.
Pronunciation: Lay wall-lesh-ten, mole, oo-tee-kee-lore-uh. Alt lay ah-voe vuh-ay oo-lah, lee foe-moe-lerr-roe
Breakdown: Le (two) waleshten (plural walesht, "beer"), mol, utykilora (utykai, "to serve"). Alt (and) le avo (for) v'e (my, "v'-" appended on the pronoun "e", meaning "I or me") ula (friend), li fomolero (fomoi, "to enrage")
Literal: Two beers, please, server. And two for my friend, the enrager.
New vocabulary: Beer, to enrage

English: "How much is that in real money?"
Sefirric: Era chon dan ig ilim pela?
Pronunciation: Err-ruh chawn dann ig (rhyming with "pig") ill-lim pay-la
Breakdown: Era (How much) chon (choi, "to be") dan (that) ig (in) ilim (money) pela (real)?
Literal: How much is that in real money?
New vocabulary: Real.

English: "So you've been to Greyhawk City? You must know my Aunt Liandra."
Sefirric: Eissol'naso a "Greyhawk City"? Ut sidol'e aloskai a v'e ula'acha, Liandra.
Pronunciation: Ay-sole-nah-soe ah "Greyhawk City"? Oot sih-dole-lay ah-loe-sky ah vuh-ay oo-lah-ah-cha, Lee-ann-druh
Breakdown: Eissol'naso (Eissoi, "to go", with -'naso, making the verb past tense) a "Greyhawk City"? Ut sidol'e aloskai ("to know") a v'e ula'acha (aunt), Liandra.
Literal: You have gone to Greyhawk City? You will be able to know to my aunt, Liandra.
New vocabulary: to know, aunt

English: "You're very pretty for a foreigner."
Sefirric: Ut chol volo atena avo an molero.
Pronunciation: Oot chole voe-loe ah-ten-nah ah-voe ahn moe-lerr-roe
Breakdown: Ut chol (choi, "to be") volo ("much", "a lot", "very") atena (pretty) avo an molero (moi, "to come", so literally, "one who comes"*).
Literal: You are very pretty for a comer.
New vocabulary: pretty, to come

* an outsider would always be one who comes. Otherwise, they would be one who stays.

English: "I've never thought that 'impotent' means you can't have a good time."
Sefirric: E lo amera'naso se 'limuna' vinan se no ut sidol an eler bana.
Pronunciation: Ay loe ah-merr-rah-nah-soe say 'lih-moo-nuh' vih-nohn say no oot sih-doll ahn eh-lerr bah-nah
Breakdown: E lo ("no", "never") amera'naso (amerai, "to think") se (that) 'limuna' ("useless", "impotent") vinan (vinai, "to mean") se no ut sidol (sidoi, "to be able to") an eler ("time", "experience") bana ("pleasant").
Literal: I never thought that 'impotent' means that you can not have a pleasant experience.
New vocabulary: impotent, to mean, pleasant

English: "I admire you above all for your purity of spirit and your appreciation of the arts."
Sefirric: E ameno a ut ludan fortu avo v'ut dava vo v'ut alse alt v'ut elemen vo li feralten
Pronunciation: Ay ah-meh-no ah oot loo-dann for-too ah-voe vuh-oot dah-vah voe vuh-oot all-suh alt vuh-oot ell-em-enn voe lee feh-rahll-ten
Breakdown: E ameno (amenai, "to admire") a ut ludan (ludan, "over" or "above") fortu ("everything", "all") avo v'ut dava (purity) vo v'ut alse ("spirit", "soul") alt v'ut elemen ("appreciation", from the verb "elemenai", "to appreciate") vo li feralten (plural feralt, "art", from "feraltai", "to shape" or "to form").
Literal: I admire to you over all for your purity of your spirit and your appreciation of the arts.
New vocabulary: to admire, purity, spirit, to appreciate, art

English: "Where is the outhouse?"
Sefirric: Ne chon li vale?
Pronunciation: Nay chahn lee vah-lay
Breakdown: Ne ("Where") chon (choi, "to be") li vale ("outhouse" or "restroom")?
Literal: Where is the restroom?
New vocabulary: restroom

English: "Move along, citizen. There is nothing to see here."
Sefirric: Chuvol'e, un'eissilora. Ne lo chon a dai neri.
Pronunciation: Choo-vohl-ay, oon-eh-ay-see-lore-uh. Nay loe chahn ah die neh-ree
Breakdown: Chuvol'e (chuvoi, "to move"), un'eissilora (un'eissai, "to stay"). Ne ("There") lo chon a dai (to see) neri (here).
Literal: Move, stayer. There is nothing to see here.
New vocabulary: There, here.

Also, I would need all of the existing cusswords for my orc fighter, who only learns enough of each language to scream obscenities at his enemies.
Sefirric: Sloaghum
Pronunciation: Slow-ah-ch-um (The 'ch' is as in 'loch')
Breakdown: Sloaghum (Generally considered the worst of all insults, "sloaghum" roughly translates to mean "You are a deplorable, sorry excuse for cow dung. The male half of your lineage looks like an evolutionary chart in reverse, and any of the females of your clan would have made an orc vomit in disgust.")

English: "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"
Sefirric: PISOTAL'E TEN MEL ISON!!
Pronunciation: pee-soe-tahl-ay tehn mell ih-sone
Breakdown: PISOTAL'E (pisotai, "to kill") TEN ("it") MEL ("with") ISON ("fire")!!
Literal: KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Other Elements: Umbret ("Acid"), jath ("cold"), irisalta ("sonic")
Pronunciation: Oom-brett, jahth, ir-ri-sall-tuh

English: "The wizard did it."
Sefirric: Li zhinhilora shan'naso.
Pronunciation: Lee zin-hee-ill-lore-uh shahn-nah-so
Breakdown: Li zhinhilora (zhinhai, "to cast a spell") shon'naso (shoi, "to do").
Literal: The wizard did it.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-30, 01:17 PM
"I'll scout ahead; you keep the wizard out of trouble."

"I drink only the blood of my enemies!"

"Bring forth the tavern wenches!"

"Sir, I swear, your daughter came onto me! Not the face!"

"Throw me a potion, damnit!"

"Salvation must be earned, not granted; if you truly wish to be saved, reach forth and save yourself."

"I'm going to tie you up now. Don't try to escape; I can't promise that you'll live through the attempt."

"Do you see the happy, pink-haired elf over there? With the funny smile and the patchwork clothing? Last week, she burned a tavern to the ground on accident. Ten people died. She has no idea whatsoever that it even happened. My point being, of course, that it's in our best interests to keep her happy."

Lappy9000
2009-12-30, 02:30 PM
I'm no linguist, but this all looks pretty impressive. Nice work!

Zom B
2009-12-30, 02:54 PM
English: "I'll scout ahead; you keep the wizard out of trouble."
Sefirric: E dencha'so vo li thrada vo osones; verelaler'e li zhinhilora.
Pronunciation: Ay den-chah-soe voe lee thrah-dah voe oh-soe-ness; ver-uh-lah-lerr-ay lee zin-hill-lore-uh
Breakdown: E dencha'so (denchai, "to search", with -'so, meaning "in the future") vo li thrada ("in front"; "vo li thrada" literally means "of the front") vo osones ("we" or "us"); verelaler'e (verelai, "to guard", conjugated in the plural vernacular, or "-aler".) li zhinhilora.
Literal: I will search in front of us; all of you guard the wizard.
New vocabulary: in front, to guard.

English: "I drink only the blood of my enemies!"
Sefirric: Earo menesta li faltacen vo v'e aspizen!
Pronunciation: Yah-roe meh-ness-tah lee fal(rhymes with "pal")-tuh-sen voe vuh-ay ah-spee-zen
Breakdown: Earo (earoi, "to drink", pronounced "yah-roy") menesta ("only") li faltacen (plural of faltac, "blood") vo v'e aspizen (plural of aspiz, "enemy")!
Literal: I drink only the bloods of my enemies!
New vocabulary: only, blood.

English: "Bring forth the tavern wenches!"
Sefirric: Lural'e li atenen utyka!
Pronunciation: Loo-rall-ay lee ah-ten-nen oo-tee-kah
Breakdown: Lural'e (lurai, "to show" or "to reveal") li atenen ("women") utyka ("serving", here as an adjective).
Literal: Reveal the serving women!

English: "Sir, I swear, your daughter came onto me! Not the face!"
Sefirric: Elo, E felta, v'm'ut luteni lorilan'naso a E! Lo li calta!
Pronunciation: Ah-loe, Ay fell-tuh, vuh-muh-oot loo-ten-nye lore-rill-lah-nah-soe ah ay! Loe lee cal(rhymes with "pal")-tuh
Breakdown: Elo ("Sir"), E felta (feltai, "to vow"), v'm'ut (v'- appended to a pronoun to designate ownership, and m'ut, the respective form of "you") luteni ("girl" or "daughter") lorilan'naso (lorilai, "to charm") a e ("to me")! Lo ("no", "not", "never") li calta ("face")!
Literal: Sir, I vow, your girl charmed to me! Not the face!
New vocabulary: Sir/Madam, face.

English: "Throw me a potion, damnit!"
Sefirric: Sintal'e a E an mes, banal'e!
Pronunciation: Sin-tahl-ay ah ay ahn mace, bah-nall-ay
Breakdown: Sintal'e (sintai, "to throw") a e an mes (potion, from "mesai", "to brew"), banal'e (banai, "to damn")!
Literal: Throw to me a potion; damn it!
New vocabulary: to brew, potion, to damn.

English: "Salvation must be earned, not granted; if you truly wish to be saved, reach forth and save yourself."
Sefirric: Rec sidon'e choi salinilado, lo ueldilado; et ut saronal a choi recolido, belol'e alt recol'e a ut.
Pronunciation: Rake sih-don-ay choy sall-lin-nih-lah-doe, loe well-deal-lah-doe; eht oot sah-roe-nall ah choy ray-koe-lee-doe, beh-loll-ay alt reh-kole-ay ah oot
Breakdown: Rec ("Salvation") sidon'e (sidoi, "to be obligated") choi salinilado (salinai, "to earn"*), lo ueldilado (ueldai ("well-die"), "to give"*); et (if) ut saronal (saronai, "to wish") a choi recolido (recoi, "to save"*), belol'e (beloi, "to reach out" or "to stretch") alt recol'e (again, recoi, "to save") a ut.
Literal: Salvation should be earned, not given; if you wish to be saved, reach out and save to you.
New vocabulary: to save, salvation, to earn, to reach out

*-olido (masculine), -ilado (feminine): When added to a verb, means the recipient of an action or the state of the action. For instance aneirolido means loved, although this form should not be confused with the past tense of the word 'love.' Instead it means 'Beloved' or 'Loved one.' 'Salinilado' means 'earned,' as in 'It must be earned.'

English: "I'm going to tie you up now. Don't try to escape; I can't promise that you'll live through the attempt."
Sefirric: E errapo'so a ut. Lo pilol'e a alacerai; Lo E felta'so se zistal'so ora li pilo.
Pronunciation: Ay err-rah-poe-soe ah oot. Loe pee-lole-ay ah ah-lah-serr-rye; Loe ay fell-tah-soe say zee-stahl-soe orr-ruh lee pee-loe
Breakdown: E errapo'so (errapoi, "to bind") a ut. Lo pilol'e (piloi, "to try") a alacerai ("to escape"); Lo E felta'so (feltai, "to vow") se zistal'so (zistai, "to live") ora ("through") li pilo ("try" or "attempt").
Literal: I will bind to you. Try not to escape; I cannot vow that you will live through the try.
New vocabulary: to bind, to escape, through.

English: "Do you see the happy, pink-haired elf over there? With the funny smile and the patchwork clothing? Last week, she burned a tavern to the ground on accident. Ten people died. She has no idea whatsoever that it even happened. My point being, of course, that it's in our best interests to keep her happy." (You hate me, don't you?)
Sefirric: Dal ut li cafa elf mel lepol vo sora ne? Mel li ehin coresta alt li per un'naicholido? Velta pe'cyr, teni isonan'naso an ear a li un fer culapilado. Anti aloeren espisolieren'naso. Teni no aloskan se ten sheron'naso. V'e than, ten luran, se ten chon ig ostros pakelen telora a seyfai teni cafa.
Pronunciation: Dahl oot lee kah-fuh elf mell lay-poll voe sore-uh nay? Mell lee eh-heen kore-rest-ah alt lee perr oon-nah-ee-cho-lee-doe? Vell-tuh pay-sear, teh-nee eye-son-nahn-nah-so ahn ee-yar ah lee oon ferr koo-lah-pee-lah-doe. Ahn-tee ahl-loe-err-ren es-spee-sole-ee-err-en-nah-soe. Teh-nee no ah-loe-skahn say ten sheh-rohn-nah-soe. Vuh-ay thohn, ten loo-rahn, say ten chahn ig oh-stroes pah-kell-ehn teh-lore-uh ah say-fye teh-nee kah-fah.
Breakdown: :smallfrown:
Literal: See you the happy elf with hair of pink there? With the smile peculiar and the clothing healed? Last seven-days, she burned a tavern to the ground by error. Ten people died. She knows not that it happened. My punch*, it shows, that it is in our interests best to keep her happy.
New vocabulary: happy, hair, pink, smile, peculiar, clothing, week, tavern, ground, to err, people, to happen, to interest, best.

*as in, a bullet point.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-30, 02:57 PM
I don't hate you. That paragraph comes up at every tavern my party stays at, since I'm playing a DID/Schizo (yes, both) elf wizard with a penchant for violent rages fuelled by paranoid delusions.

Zom B
2009-12-30, 03:00 PM
My attempt to be funny, that's all. I'll probably go back and provide a breakdown on that one when I can.

All right, going to be away from the thread for probably overnight. Try not to swamp me with translations, although you wouldn't believe the additions I've made to the vocabulary just today.

Zom B
2009-12-30, 03:27 PM
English: "I'm no linguist, but this all looks pretty impressive. Nice work!"
Sefirric: E lo choi an...

Oh.

Thanks!

Ashtagon
2009-12-30, 03:33 PM
The etymology of foreigner (one who comes) tells me that the people who speak this language are a conquered race, as they are literally people who *come* to their homeland. If they were a conquering people, the etymology would be quite different.

I'm wondering what the word for a house-guest would be. That would be a more obvious example of a word that would use "one-who-comes" as the derivation.

It's interesting how subtle things arise from obscure points of language.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-30, 03:46 PM
Have I got the hang of this bloody langauge yet!

And:

What do you mean I said sea instead of see?

Siosilvar
2009-12-30, 03:54 PM
"Don't Panic"

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-30, 04:39 PM
"Don't Panic"

"...it's only a huge red dragon!"

Siosilvar
2009-12-30, 04:44 PM
"...it's only a huge red dragon!"

I was thinking more along the lines of "Know where your towel is!"

Telonius
2009-12-30, 05:02 PM
"I'd like to make passionate love to your daughter/wife/mule."

(If the players encounter an NPC with a wicked sense of humor and a high bluff check, he should tell them the words for this when they ask him how to say anything).

Siosilvar
2009-12-30, 05:27 PM
Which reminds me...

"I will not buy this record; it is scratched."
"My hovercraft is full of eels."
"Do you want to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?"
"My nipples explode with delight!"

Athaniar
2009-12-30, 05:40 PM
Ooh, conlang. Impressive. How about...

"Why so serious?"

"May the Force be with you."

"All your base are belong to us."

ScIaDrd
2009-12-30, 06:09 PM
You, sir or madam are smply awesome. Even though your language sounds like the union of Goa´uld and..um, Spanish?:smallbiggrin:it´s just awesome.
Have an internet for this brilliance, nay, 10 internets! and can you please translate this for me? ,This is the work of a great sage, indeed!' and , Would you like to be paid in gold and gems, or fine wine?, or perhaps wenches, O Great one? ´( or skillful artisan,whatever.)

Demented
2009-12-30, 06:38 PM
In an effort to trip you up:

"He lived his life making a living."

"Forsooth, for fate do we move forward."

"We go to the barbarian lands; we shall meet the barbarians head-on!"

"That one's got a sharp, compelling wit."

"Your vanity is in vain. It is a shame you are such a disgrace."

"My butler is twice the waiter your servant is."

"I am building a miniature outhouse in the public bathroom, next to the baths."

"Love is a many splendored thing."
"I love this lovely party."
"Your love of skiing is as hazardous as a mother's love is boundless."
"I'll say this as lovingly as I can: You have a face only a mother could love."

"Try not to escape, if you can help it."

"A beer is not brewed."

"Madam, I'm Adam."

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-30, 07:06 PM
Let's see:

"EPIC FAIL!"

"You must gather your party before venturing forth."

"I might need to dumb down my puns."

"God help us all."

"Hey, I've got a cool idea for a character. He's a rebel CG drow who wields two scimitars..."

"Not another shameless Drizzt rip-of. We must kill it. Kill it with fire."

"We told you if you brought 12 Drizzt rip-ofs to the table we would hang, draw and quater you. I only wish we had access to speak with dead."

Fortuna
2009-12-30, 08:52 PM
Heck, this is impressive. I spent about half an hour writing up a Cthulhic antiphon, but that pales in comparison (the antiphon is on another computer that I don't have access to at the moment, unfortunately).

How about these?

"What is the time?"

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

"We're out of time."

"Run. Don't look back, just run."

And, for the heck of it...

"I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."

"I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist."

"Look, I'm a doctor, not an escalator."

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic."

"I'm a doctor, not an engineer."

"I'm a doctor, not a coal miner."

"I'm a doctor, not a botanist."

"I'm a doctor, not an historian."

"I'm a doctor, not a decorator."

"I'm a doctor, not a bartender."

"I'm a doctor, not a voyeur."

"I'm a doctor, not a performer."

"I'm a doctor, not a counterinsurgent."

"I'm a doctor, not a database."

"I'm a doctor, not a peeping Tom."

"I'm a doctor, not a battery."

"I'm a doctor, not a dragon-slayer."

"I'm a doctor, not a zoo-keeper."

"I'm a doctor, not a nightlight."

Right. That should get you very very bored of doctors, very very quickly.

Lappy9000
2009-12-30, 10:07 PM
English: "I'm no linguist, but this all looks pretty impressive. Nice work!"
Sefirric: E lo choi an...

Oh. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Zom B
2009-12-31, 09:18 AM
All right, since there are so many of these, and I'm really not interested in words for modern or futuristic things (keeping this to a medieval fantasy scope for now), I'm discarding some of these phrases ("My hovercraft is full of eels"). Also, there's a lot you guys posted that I'll be getting to.

I'll also be posting on the original post a quick quide to the conjugation of the verbs for those of you who want to follow along at home.

English: Have I got the hang of this bloody langauge yet!
Sefirric: Osto E li tod vo den uthalido le'elo!
Pronunciation: Oh-stoe ay lee tahd voe den oo-thall-lee-doe lay-ell-loh
Breakdown: Osto (ostoi, "to have") E li tod (comprehension) vo den ("this") uthalido (cursed) le'elo (language)
Literal: Have I the comprehension of this cursed language!
New vocabulary: to comprehend

English: What do you mean I said sea instead of see?
Sefirric: Se vinal ut se E rostra'naso 'saek' ig brach vo 'dai'?
Pronunciation: Say vin-nahl oot say ay roe-strah-nah-soe say-eek ig brak voe dah-ee
Breakdown: Se ("what" or "that") vinal (vinai, "to mean")ut se E rostra'naso (rostrai, "to say") 'saek' ("sea", "ocean") ig brach vo (in place of) 'dai' ("to see")?
Literal: What mean you that I said 'sea' in place of 'see'?
New vocabulary: to place

English: Don't Panic
Sefirric: Lo Dyerai
Pronunciation: Loe dye-err-rye
Breakdown: Lo ("no") Dyerai ("to panic")
Literal: No Panicking
New vocabulary: to panic

English: It's only a huge red dragon!
Sefirric: Ten chon menesta an volo brea taral vo pina!
Pronunciation: Ten chahn meh-neh-stuh ahn voe-loe bray-uh tah-rahl voe pee-nuh
Breakdown: Ten ("it") chon (choi, "to be") menesta ("only") an volo ("very", "much", "a lot") brea ("large") taral ("dragon") vo pina ("red")!
Literal: It is only a very large dragon of red!
New vocabulary: red

English: Know where your towel is!
Sefirric: Aloskal'e ne chon v'ut rogra!
Pronunciation: Ah-loe-skall-ay nay chahn vuh-oot roe-grah
Breakdown: Aloskal'e (aloskai, "to know") ne ("where", "there") chon v'ut rogra (towel)!
Literal: Know where is your towel!
New vocabulary: towel

English: I'd like to make passionate love to your daughter/wife/mule.
Sefirric: E nharo'so a yamai mel volo zist mel v'ut luteni/ateni/pencha.
Pronunciation: Ay nah-roe-soe ah yah-mye mell voe-loe zeest mell vuh-oot loo-ten-nye/ah-ten-nye/pen-chah
Breakdown: E nharo'so (nharoi, "to like") a yamai ("to make love") mel ("with") volo zist ("life", "vigor") mel v'ut luteni/ateni/pench.
Literal: I will like to make love with much vigor with your daughter/wife/mule.
New vocabulary: to make love, mule

Eldan
2009-12-31, 10:47 AM
It is, indeed, impressive.

"We don't want your kind here, stranger."

"No magic allowed."

"Prepare to die!"

"Which way to the Forest of a Thousand Deaths?"

"Aaargh! My eyes!"

"The gods have mercy on your soul."

Zom B
2009-12-31, 11:33 AM
Let me knock out these easy ones and then come back for those humdingers.

English: "We don't want your kind here, stranger."
Sefirric: Osones lo tirosto v'ut bisti neri, molero.
Pronunciation: Oh-soe-ness loe tear-roe-stoe vuh-oot bee-stee neh-rye, moe-lerr-roe
Breakdown: Osones ("we") lo tirosto (tiroi, "to want") v'ut bisti ("type", "kind") neri ("here"), molero (moi, "to come")
Literal: We no want your kind here, comer.
New vocabulary: type

English: "No magic allowed."
Sefirric: Lo esposto zinhen.
Pronunciation: Loe ess-spoe-stoe zin-nen
Breakdown: Lo esposto (espoi, "to allow") zinhen (plural of zinh, "spell")
Literal: We no allow zpells.
Alternately: Lo zinhai ("No spellcasting") (Loe zen-hye)
New vocabulary: none.

English: "Prepare to die!"
Sefirric: Dunsal'e a espisoi!
Pronunciation: Doon-sall-ay ah ess-spee-soy
Breakdown: Dunsal'e (dunsai, "to prepare") a espisoi ("to die")!
Literal: Prepare to die!

English: "Which way to the Forest of a Thousand Deaths?"
Sefirric: Se eiss a li Madu vo Anun Espisoten?
Pronunciation: Say eh-ees ah lee mah-doo voe ah-noon ess-pee-soe-ten
Breakdown: Se ("what", "which", "that") eiss ("way") a li Madu ("Forest") vo Anun ("One Thousand") Espisoten (espisot, "death")?
Literal: What way to the Forest of A Thousand Deaths?
New vocabulary: way, forest

English: "Aaargh! My eyes!"
Sefirric: Aaargh! V'e atefen!
Pronunciation: Aaargh! Vuh-ay ah-teph-fen
Breakdown: Aaargh! V'e atefen (plural atef, "eye")
Literal: Aaargh! My eyes!
New vocabulary: eyes

English: "The gods have mercy on your soul."
Sefirric: Li esmen aconsalest a v'ut alse.
Pronunciation: Lee esz-men ah-cone-sah-lest ah vuh-oot all-suh
Breakdown: Li esmen ("gods") aconsalest (aconsai, "to show mercy") a v'ut alse ("spirit", "soul")
Literal: The gods show mercy to your soul.

Zom B
2009-12-31, 11:52 AM
Since the numbers have started to pop up in a few translations, I thought I'd post the Sefirric numbers:

{table]0| lo
1| an
2| le
3| um
4| chel
5| ahp
6| orik
7| pe
8| eler
9| maka
10| anti
20| leti
30| umeti
40| cheleti
50| ahpeti
60| oriketi
70| peti
80| elereti
90| makati
100| aninos
200| leinos
300| umnos
400| chelnos
500| ahpnos
600| oriknos
700| penos
800| elernos
900| makanos
1000| anun
2000| lenun
3000| umenun
4000| chelnun
5000| ahpnun
6000| oriknun
7000| penun
8000| elernun
9000| makanun
10000| anri
20000| leri
30000| umri
40000| chelri
50000| ahpri
60000| orikri
70000| peri
80000| eleri
90000| makari
100000| anow[/table]

The numbers could easily keep going up. To express a number in Sefirric, you simply start from the first position and work your way to the last. For instance, 4,362 would be pronounced "chelnun alt umnos alt oriketi alt le", literally meaning "four thousand and three hundred and sixty and two".

Silverscale
2010-01-01, 07:48 PM
This is an interesting project I can't wait to see how it turns out.

"No! Don't touch that. Oh, that's gonna hurt."

Zom B
2010-01-04, 09:01 AM
English: "No! Don't touch that. Oh, that's gonna hurt."
Sefirric: Lo! Lo minol'e dan. Oh, dan chon'so lostrai.
Pronunciation: Loe! Loe meh-nole-ay dahn. Oh, dahn chahn-soe loe-strye
Breakdown: Lo! Lo minol'e (minoi, "to touch") dan ("that", as in "that object"). Oh, dan chon'so (choi, "to be") lostrai ("to hurt"*)
Literal: No! No touch that. Oh, that will hurt.

* Lostrai means "to hurt", as in "to ache". Naichoi (pron. nah-ee-choy) means "to hurt", as in "to inflict pain".

Now, to the backlog:

English: "Do you want to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?"
Sefirric: Tirol ut a moi a v'e lestra alt laroi?
Pronunciation: Tear-rall oot ah moy ah vuh-ay less-trah alt lah-roy
Breakdown: Tirol (tiroi, "to want") ut a moi ("to come") a v'e lestra ("place") alt ("and") laroi ("to make love (vulgar)").
Literal: Want you to come to my place and f***?
New vocabulary: Place.
Notes: This is the best approximation I can think of for this. Jostrai would mean "to bounce", so while you could say "Tirol ut a moi a v'e lestra alt jostrai?", it would not mean what you intend here.

English: "My nipples explode with delight!"
Sefirric: V'e manishten kolalest mel alem!
Pronunciation: Vuh-ay mah-neesh-ten koe-lah-lest mell ah-lem
Breakdown: V'e manishten (manisht, "nipple") kolalest (kolai, "to explode") mel alem ("pleasure", "delight")!
Literal: My nipples explode with pleasure!
New vocabulary: Nipple, to explode, to please, pleasure.

English: "Why so serious?"
Sefirric: Carra chol choi met kelma?
Pronunciation: Car-ruh chohl choy meht kell-mah
Breakdown: Carra ("Why") chol choi met ("so") kelma ("serious")?
Literal: Why are you being so serious?
New vocabulary: So, serious.

English: "May the Force gods be with you."
Sefirric: Queperest li esmen choi mel ut.
Pronunciation: Kay-perr-est lee esz-men choy mell oot.
Breakdown: Queperest (quepoi, "to be able to") li esmen choi mel ut.
Literal: May the gods be with you.

English: "All your base are belong to us."
Sefirric: Fortu v'ut chranis cherest canarai a osones.
Pronunciation: For-too vuh-oot kran-niss chehr-rest kah-nah-rye ah oh-soe-ness
Breakdown: Fortu ("All") v'ut chranis ("base") cherest (choi, "to be") canarai ("to belong") a osones.
Literal: All your base are belong to us.
New vocabulary: Base, to belong.
Note: In keeping with the spirit of the meme, I did not correct the sentence structure when I translated it. If I had, it would have been "Fortu vo v'ut chranisen canaralest a osones", or "All of your bases belong to us."

English: "This is the work of a great sage, indeed!"
Sefirric: Den chon li isul vo an ufeta aloskilado, lostiag!
Pronunciation: Den chahn lee ih-sool voe ahn oo-fay-tah ah-loe-skee-lah-doe, loe-stee-ahg
Breakdown: Den chon li isul ("work", from isulai, "to work") vo an ufeta ("great") aloskilado (aloskai, "to know"), lostiag (combination of lo, "no", and stiag, "lie", from stiagoi, "to lie")!
Literal: This is the work of a great knower, no lie!
New vocabulary: lostiag*

*used similarly to the biblical "verily"

English: "Would you like to be paid in gold and gems, or fine wine? Or perhaps wenches, O Great one?"
Sefirric: Narol ut a iundai oron ig loil alt atonen, no sona odeni? No achin atenen, Li Ufeta An?"
Pronunciation: Nah-roll oot ah eye-oon-dye oh-rone ig loe-eel alt ah-tone-nen, no soe-nah oh-den-nye? No ah-sheen ah-ten-nen, lee oo-fay-tah ahn
Breakdown: Narol (naroi, "to want") ut a iundai ("to receive") oron ("payment", from oronai, "to pay") ig loil ("gold", pronounced low-wheel) alt atonen (aton, "jewel"), no ("or", "nor") sona ("well-made") odeni ("wine")? No achin ("maybe", "perhaps") atenen (ateni, "woman"), Li Ufeta ("great") An ("one")?
Literal: Want you to receive payment in gold and jewels, or well-made wine? Or perhaps women, Great One?
New vocabulary: Gold, jewel, well-made, wine.

More to follow.

Silverscale
2010-01-04, 06:00 PM
Perhaps a good next step would be to put up a list of vocabulary that you already have...so far the only thing we have in table form, are the numbers and a verb conjugation chart.

"She sells sea shells by the sea shore."

Dust
2010-01-04, 06:26 PM
The Sefirric language continues to prove its superiority.

"The alchemist wept like an newborn."

Fortuna
2010-01-04, 06:44 PM
"Make my day, punk."

"STFU NOOB"

"That second one should be interesting..."

Zom B
2010-01-05, 08:21 AM
Perhaps a good next step would be to put up a list of vocabulary that you already have...so far the only thing we have in table form, are the numbers and a verb conjugation chart.

Done.

Drop.io/Sefirric (http://drop.io/Sefirric). Will update fairly regularly.

Zom B
2010-01-05, 09:04 AM
English: "She sells sea shells by the sea shore."
Sefirric: Teni danon luasken vo li saek fer li fernast vo li saek.
Pronunciation: Teh-nee dah-noan loo-ah-sken voe lee sake ferr lee ferr-nahst voe lee sake.
Breakdown: Teni ("She") danon (danoi, "to sell") luasken ("shells") vo li saek ("sea", "ocean") fer ("by") li fernast ("shore") vo li saek.
Literal: She sells shells of the sea by the shore of the sea.
New vocabulary: shell, shore.

English: "The alchemist wept like an newborn."
Sefirric: Li owisilora yodan'naso aste an keula lutena.
Pronunciation: Lee oh-wee-sill-lore-uh yoe-dahn-nah-soe ah-stay ahn kay-ool-ah loo-ten-nah
Breakdown: Li owisilora (owisai, "to combine") yodan'naso (yodai, "to cry") aste ("like", "similar to") an keula ("new") lutena ("child", "girl").
Literal: The combiner cried like a new child.
New vocabulary: to combine, like, new

English: "Make my day, punk."
You know, translating idioms and sayings is always difficult. "Make my day" would be nonsensical to a non-English speaker. I can probably work out an approximation in Sefirric, but it would probably be likewise nonsensical to you. For instance, in English you might say, "I smell a rat." While you can translate this into, say, Spanish, they would think that you literally smell a rat, unless they were familiar with English colloquialisms. In Spanish, the phrase equates to "Hay moros en la costa," or "There are moors on the coast," which in turn makes no sense to English speakers not familiar with Spanish.

By the way, I did take high school Spanish, and as has been noted, the experience has carried over into Sefirric. But I'm happy with that.

English: "STFU NOOB"
Sefirric: Ashal'e ut alt alemal'e a E, ahma.
Pronunciation: Ah-shahl-ay oot alt ah-lem-all-ay ah ay, ah-mah
Breakdown: Ashal'e (ashai, "to silence") ut alt alemal'e ("to please", "to make happy") a E, ahma ("novice").
Literal: Silence yourself and make me happy, novice.
Note: This is the "mean" way of telling someone to be quiet: that their silencing themselves would make you happy.
New vocabulary: to silence, novice

English: "That second one should be interesting..."
Sefirric: Li le'ki sidon choi pakela...
Pronunciation: Lee leh-kye sid-done choy pah-kay-lah
Breakdown: Li le'ki sidon (sidoi, "to be obligated to") choi ("to be") pakela ("interesting")...
Literal: The second should be interesting...
New vocabulary: interesting, -'ki suffix to turn a number into its ordinal form.

dsmiles
2010-01-06, 08:21 AM
[B]Sefirric: Sloaghum
Breakdown: Sloaghum (Generally considered the worst of all insults, "sloaghum" roughly translates to mean "You are a deplorable, sorry excuse for cow dung. The male half of your lineage looks like an evolutionary chart in reverse, and any of the females of your clan would have made an orc vomit in disgust.")

Thanks for that.

Demented
2010-01-06, 09:00 AM
English: "That second one should be interesting..."
Sefirric: Li le sidon choi pakela...
Breakdown: Li le sidon (sidoi, "to be obligated to") choi ("to be") pakela ("interesting")...
Literal: The second should be interesting...
New vocabulary: interesting

"The two" = "The second"? No ordinal numbers?

Sereg
2010-01-07, 07:49 AM
I happen to be very fond of conlangs and therefore appreciate what you are doing here. However, conlangs, like many other things suffer with pronunciation guides. Using ordinary Roman letters is misleading and the IPA alphabet is difficult to type, display and print and is not well known. I came up with a possible solution of using capital and small Roman letters to represent different sounds in pronunciation guides with a table explaining what each “symbol” meant. Dashes would represent syllable breaks and repeating a vowel indicates that it is more drawn out than normal. (Therefore, “Noooooooo!” won’t be pronounced “New!”) I’ve given an example below. You are welcome to use this and/or translate anything I’ve written in this post.

{table=head]Symbol|IPA Symbol|Name of Sound|Examples
a|æ|short open front|lad, cat, ran
A|eɪ|short mid to close front|day, pain, fame
b|oʊ|short close back|no, tow
B|b|lenis bilabial plosive|but, web
c|tʃʰ, tʃ|fortis post-alveolar affricate|chair, teach, nature
d|ʒ|lenis post-alveolar fricative|pleasure, beige
D|d|lenis alveolar plosive|do, odd
e|ɛ|short mid front|bed
E|I, iː|long close front|city, see, me
f|θ|fortis dental fricative|thing, teeth
F|f|fortis labio-dental fricative|fool, enough, leaf
g|ʊ| short close back|put, wood
G|ɡ|lenis velar plosive|go, get, beg
h|uː|long close back|soon, through
H|h, ɦ|glottal fricative|ham
i|ɨ, ɪ|short close front|sit
I|aɪ|open front unrounded|my, wise, eye
j|ɔː|long mid back|law, caught
J|dʒ|lenis post-alveolar affricate|gin, joy, edge
k|kʰ, k|fortis velar plosive|cat, kill, skin, queen, thick
L|l, ɫ|alveolar latteral|left, bell
m|ɑː|long open back|father
M|m|bilabial nasal|man, ham
n|ŋ|velar nasal|singer, ring, finger
N|n|alveolar nasal|no, tin
o|ɒ|short open back|not, wasp
p|pʰ, p|fortis bilabial plosive|spin, tip
q|aʊ|open to close front to back|now
Q|ɔɪ|open-mid to close back to front unrounded|boy, loiter
r|x|velar fricative|ugh, loch (in Scottish)
R|ɹʷ, ɹ, ɾ|alveolar or post-alveolar approximant|run, very, berry
s|s|fortis alveolar fricative|see, city, pass
t|ð|lenis dental fricative|this, breathe, father
T|tʰ, t, ɾ, ʔ|fortis alveolar plosive|two, sting, bet
u|ə|short mid central|run, enough
v|v|lenis labio-dental fricative|voice, have
w|hw|glottal to velar fricative to approximant|what
W|w|velar approximant|we
x|ʃ|fortis post-alveolar fricative|she, sure, emotion, leash
y|ɜ, ə| close mid-front unrounded|bird, winner
Y|j|palatal approximant|yes
z|z|lenis alveolar fricative|zoo, rose
[/table]

Notes: Bolded IPA symbols are Pan-English IPA symbols. Bolded parts of the examples indicate the sound referenced. This is highly biased towards my own dialect of South African English but should be easily adaptable, especially as there are plenty of symbols thus far unused. For tonal languages, additional symbols such as @#^<>* etc. could be used. Finally and most importantly, I am neither a linguist, phonologist nor a phonetics expert. This is just based on the little that I’ve picked up on if I’ve understood correctly and therefore may be easily improved by someone more familiar with the subject.

Therefore under this example: Mee-RE HaD u LiT-TiL LaM, whz FLEs Woz wIT az sNb aND ev-RE weR taT Mee-RE weNT tu LaM whz xgR Th Gb. iT Fh-LbD HyR Th skhL whN DA wic whz u-GANsT tu RhLz. iT MAD tu ciL-DRiN LmF aND pLA Th sE u LaM aT skhL.

Is how you would indicate the pronunciation of: Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow and every where that Mary went the lamb was sure to go. It followed her to school one day which was against the rules. It made the children laugh and play to see a lamb at school.

Zom B
2010-01-07, 08:33 AM
"The two" = "The second"? No ordinal numbers?

Probably should. I had intended that saying "The <number>" would change it to "<number>-th", but that means you can't say a sentence like "The two is out of place in your equation," without it coming out as "The second is out of place in your equation." So yeah, we'll need another way to do that.

The alternate pronunciation guide looks both useful and intimidating. Then again, people opening up the language I've posted probably feel the same way. I think the best solution for now would be to go back through my posts and add a Pronunciation: section, and then replace them with the chart posted here.

EDIT: Added a quick pronunciation guide to the examples posted here and changed the ordinal number thing.

Fortuna
2010-01-07, 04:52 PM
"I do not want to talk to you no more, you so-called Arthur king."

"I wish to sincerely offer my most humble of apologies."

"Only the worthy may pass."

"I have an attention defi- ooh, butterfly!"

"Pardon me, but is that your dragon outside? I'm afraid that our halfling just killed him."

"WHAT? You killed the bane of civilization, enemy of the righteous, scourge of worlds, etc. etc?"

"I'm afraid so. He got stuck in his throat!"

Silverscale
2010-01-07, 08:56 PM
"You Shall Not Pass!"

"Spoon!"

Sereg
2010-01-08, 08:02 AM
The alternate pronunciation guide looks both useful and intimidating. Then again, people opening up the language I've posted probably feel the same way. I think the best solution for now would be to go back through my posts and add a Pronunciation: section, and then replace them with the chart posted here.

EDIT: Added a quick pronunciation guide to the examples posted here and changed the ordinal number thing.

Thanks for the compliment, though I see that you went with a more traditional pronunciation guide. I suppose that what you said about mine being rather intimidating makes sense.

Ashtagon
2010-01-08, 09:15 AM
You could do worse than google this long essay on the topic of artifical languages called "lexical semantics". It's rather technical though, but I'd consider it required reading for anyone serious about constructed languages.

http://www.eskimo.com/~ram/lexical_semantics.html

Athaniar
2010-01-08, 02:55 PM
Challenge: translate an entire OotS comic (your choice).

zoobob9
2010-01-11, 03:46 PM
"Taste the furyof my blade, {insert race} scum!"
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
"I shall not bow to you, {name of other person}"
"My strength knows no bounds"

Thelas
2010-01-11, 07:59 PM
Translate whatever you feel like...

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.
Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.
Hear me say, devoid of trickery,
Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,
Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,
Exiles, similes, and reviles;
Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far;
One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;
Gertrude, German, wind and mind,
Scene, Melpomene, mankind.
Billet does not rhyme with ballet,
Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.
Blood and flood are not like food,
Nor is mould like should and would.
Viscous, viscount, load and broad,
Toward, to forward, to reward.
And your pronunciation's OK
When you correctly say croquet,
Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve,
Friend and fiend, alive and live.
Ivy, privy, famous; clamour
And enamour rhyme with hammer.
River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb,
Doll and roll and some and home.
Stranger does not rhyme with anger,
Neither does devour with clangour.
Souls but foul, haunt but aunt,
Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant,
Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,
And then singer, ginger, linger,
Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.
Query does not rhyme with very,
Nor does fury sound like bury.
Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth.
Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath.
Though the differences seem little,
We say actual but victual.
Refer does not rhyme with deafer.
Foeffer does, and zephyr, heifer.
Mint, pint, senate and sedate;
Dull, bull, and George ate late.
Scenic, Arabic, Pacific,
Science, conscience, scientific.
Liberty, library, heave and heaven,
Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven.
We say hallowed, but allowed,
People, leopard, towed, but vowed.
Mark the differences, moreover,
Between mover, cover, clover;
Leeches, breeches, wise, precise,
Chalice, but police and lice;
Camel, constable, unstable,
Principle, disciple, label.
Petal, panel, and canal,
Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.
Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
Tour, but our and succour, four.
Gas, alas, and Arkansas.
Sea, idea, Korea, area,
Psalm, Maria, but malaria.
Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.
Compare alien with Italian,
Dandelion and battalion.
Sally with ally, yea, ye,
Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.
Say aver, but ever, fever,
Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.
Heron, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.
Face, but preface, not efface.
Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass.
Large, but target, gin, give, verging,
Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.
Ear, but earn and wear and tear
Do not rhyme with here but ere.
Seven is right, but so is even,
Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,
Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,
Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.
Pronunciation (think of Psyche!)
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won't it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It's a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,
Housewife, verdict and indict.
Finally, which rhymes with enough,
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

Yes, I know it won't make sense in your language. You still get a bunch of new words, though.

Kallisti
2010-01-11, 08:27 PM
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust..."

"We wear the mask that grins and lies..."

"O grave, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?"

"For pony!"

"Some things in life require that special, delicate touch. For everything else, there's fire."

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Somebody once said there's no subtlety to explosions. You know what? He's dead."

"In a wonderland they lie, dreaming dreams as dreams go by, lingering in the golden gleam...life, what is it but a dream?"

"My flying ship is full of eels." I know you already rejected that one, but Python-corrupted minds want to know, and besides, you'll need words for flying and ship.

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-11, 08:38 PM
Ah, Conlang. Or for that matter, Conworlding in general. I love it. You seem to have worked very hard on it. Interesting thing was, I was thinking of posting my own language once I've gotten progress with it.

Here's something to translate:

"I think, therefore I am" (Meaning "I think, therefore I exist")

"Live and Let Live"

"Seize the Day"

And my favourite:

"Never tickle a Sleeping Dragon" :smalltongue:

Owrtho
2010-01-11, 08:51 PM
A few things

"A merciless killer‽ I prefer to think of myself as a guide... to the next life"

"How was I to know that my riping out his through that I might be afforded easier access to his internal organs for the purpose of removing his stomach followed by his kidneys and liver that I might break my fast upon them would result in the end of his being bound by mortal coils? I honestly had not a clue."

"I take affront at that remark."

"Look, I'd rather not have to kill you, but... Ah, who am I kidding? I'd live to kill you!"

"Stop touching my (insert body part)!" "What do you mean that isn't you! We're the only ones here!"

"Don't cease your vigil with this one. They've slipped out of harder places to escape from than this. And I won't be held responsible when.. Wait. Where'd they go!"

"You will not find him, but you will hardly miss the wood. It is the place where those who do not sleep, wake up at night, to kill their dead and bury them."

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Also, I'd like to see some puns and sayings. I can't ask for any specifics, as I lack the familiarity of the language to know what they would be, and they tend not to translate well between languages.

Owrtho

Nehh
2010-01-12, 01:23 AM
"You require more pylons!"

"What is the exact nature of the catastrophe?"

“THIS LOOKS SHOPPED. I CAN TELL FROM SOME OF THE PIXELS AND FROM SEEING QUITE A FEW SHOPS IN MY TIME.”

"Teal deer."

Owrtho
2010-01-12, 01:49 AM
"You must construct additional pylons!"

Fixed for you.
And while your at it:

"Spawn more Overlords!"

Owrtho

Zom B
2010-01-12, 08:49 AM
All right, it looks like what I need now (although I will still look through the phrases given here for new words) are words I don't have that you think might be necessary. If you think you have the feel of the language and want to create a Sefirric word for it, feel free.

Otherwise, I'd like to break from translating sentences and phrases for a bit.