PDA

View Full Version : Chaos mage?

gallagher
2009-12-30, 12:56 PM
are there any guides to making a chaos mage? i think that the class is extremely interesting and has alot of flavor... also when paired with a chaos gnome sorcerer.... lets just say that it would be kicked up a notch

Evard
2009-12-30, 01:21 PM
Is this 4e?

Nate the Snake
2009-12-30, 01:39 PM
If you are referring to the Wild Mage from Complete Arcane, then Practiced Spellcaster is a must to offset the -3 caster level from wild magic.

Since you're working with a sorcerer base, the Anarchic Bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium gives you bonus chaos-themed spells known (one for each level, like a domain) for the relatively low cost of losing access to [Law] spells. Also, chaos gnomes have +1 LA, which casters in general and spontaneous casters in particular don't like, so LA buyoff would be worth looking into.

Complete Divine has metamagic feats that make spells [Good] or [Evil] for +1 spell level; it's not too much of a stretch to homebrew a [Chaos] version (if an official one doesn't already exist) to take advantage of the chaos gnome's bonus to casting such spells. Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook) can give you access to the Chaos domain power for another caster level increase.

Speaking of the Chaos domain, Complete Champion lets sorcerers gain access to a domain as an ACF, domain power and all, but the domain spells automatically count against your spells known.

Other than that, I don't think there's an official guide for Wild Mages. Things like Incantatrix get all the attention.

Mongoose87
2009-12-30, 01:41 PM
It's a really fun class. There's nothing like having a huge build-up to your climactic spell, and then using a Reckless Dweomer make the grass gross around you.

Zaydos
2009-12-30, 02:14 PM
I'm making a wild mage right now. If you can get your DM to agree to Practiced Spellcaster working to offset wild magic (my DM did, let me work on the character for a month including 5+ pages of backstory then tried to change his mind so I just pointed out I'd go with SoD otherwise and that 2 feats and not being a Wild Mage made me much stronger than +1d6 caster level which is kind of bad) it can work/be fun. I'm personally going with Black Tentacles as one of my main spells just for the fun, and with the +1d6 to CL it has a 45.5% chance of grappling anything CR 8 (1 less than character level) in the Monster Manual. Get's better against humanoid foes. If I include everything in the monster manual (including the 6 monsters that can just continue to range attack/dimension door away, the 2 monsters that are just too big and strong and the swarm of flying insects as well as incorporeal undead) it drops to 39% I think (away from math).

If you can get Practiced Spellcaster I might look into Arcane Disciple feat from Complete Divine for Chaos Domain to get Word of Chaos. The +1d6 Caster Level should make that an exceptionally deadly spell.