PDA

View Full Version : Help making a Nero character

Froogleyboy
2009-12-30, 06:11 PM
I'm looking to go to Nero Atlanta,and I can't make a character. I wana make a Drae Rouge, could i get some help?

Temotei
2009-12-30, 06:28 PM
I'm looking to go to Nero Atlanta,and I can't make a character. I wana make a Drae Rouge, could i get some help?

You mean this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10445)?

Froogleyboy
2009-12-30, 06:30 PM
not D20, I specifically said "NERO"

taltamir
2009-12-30, 06:31 PM
what is a "nero"? can you further explain what it is that you want the character to be or do?

Temotei
2009-12-30, 06:32 PM
not D20, I specifically said "NERO"

Yeah. I have no idea what that is. :smallbiggrin: Hence.

Dhavaer
2009-12-30, 06:49 PM
I think he means this (http://www.nerolarp.com/).

Optimystik
2009-12-30, 06:53 PM
Oh, a LARP game.

You can't go wrong with lightning bolt.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-30, 09:06 PM
yeah, its a larp

DarthCyberWolf
2009-12-30, 09:29 PM
I don't know how many points you're starting with, but the first thing to buy would be a weapon use. Pick something you have/can actually fight with. Note that if you're going two weapons, it's gonna cost more.

Next, pick some general skills you'd like to be able to do in-game. Things like being able to read/write, crafting, lockpicking, evaluate item, first aid, or your racial abilities. Your choice.

Lastly, if you still have points left over, waylay and backstab. Can't go wrong with those.

(This is just a basic plan. I'm not really an expert on this. I play a scholar myself and so deal mainly with spells.)

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 09:33 PM
Wow...I spent the first half the thread assuming he was asking about how to build a character like Nero. Yknow, the roman dude.

Clearly, a sublime chord with a penchant for fire would have been awesome.

Dienekes
2009-12-30, 10:05 PM
Tyndmyr we were on the save wavelength. CE bard/aristocrat would be fun.

Thurbane
2009-12-30, 10:10 PM
Yeah. I have no idea what that is. :smallbiggrin: Hence.
Yep, this is why people really need to put [System] tags at the start of their topic...

[3.5]
[4E]
[NWoD]
[Traveller]

etc.

...it saves a great deal of confusion and frustration, both for readers and the original poster.

Tyndmyr we were on the save wavelength. CE bard/aristocrat would be fun.
Same here...I was going to suggest an Aristocrat with ranks in Perform (Stringed Instrument).

shadow_archmagi
2009-12-30, 10:11 PM
Wow...I spent the first half the thread assuming he was asking about how to build a character like Nero. Yknow, the roman dude.

Clearly, a sublime chord with a penchant for fire would have been awesome.

Thank you for my next campaign's villain

Optimystik
2009-12-30, 10:19 PM
Can't they just make fire with their music? Song of Cosmic Fire or something.

sombrastewart
2009-12-30, 10:23 PM
I don't know how many points you're starting with, but the first thing to buy would be a weapon use. Pick something you have/can actually fight with. Note that if you're going two weapons, it's gonna cost more.

Next, pick some general skills you'd like to be able to do in-game. Things like being able to read/write, crafting, lockpicking, evaluate item, first aid, or your racial abilities. Your choice.

Lastly, if you still have points left over, waylay and backstab. Can't go wrong with those.

(This is just a basic plan. I'm not really an expert on this. I play a scholar myself and so deal mainly with spells.)

I'm going to recommend, in being a rogue, that you at least get the ability to fight with a dagger in the off-hand. Being able to use both hands is incredibly important in boffer combat.

Swordguy
2009-12-30, 10:23 PM
Oh, a LARP game.

You can't go wrong with lightning bolt.

Way to not be dismissive. What happened to not belittling people's game choices on this forum? :smallmad:

To the OP:
OK - I'm assuming you don't have any goblin blankets on your character, so you're starting with only 30 Build Points. Drae racial abilities (Resist Charm/Resist Sleep) don't totally suck, but there's far better ways to spend your points.

First, you need a weapon skill. One-handed edged is the gold standard, since shortswords and longswords are by FAR the most common weapons in the game. There's 5 BP.

As a Rogue, Read/Write is absolutely critical. That's 6 BP.

Possibly your single most useful skill is Waylay, which allows you to use the butt end of your weapon to knock somebody cold in one shot, irrespective of level or remaining body points. Mandatory. There's 6 BP.

We've spent 17 of your 30 BP. You have 13 left.

Now you've got a choice - which direction do you want to take your character?
1) If you want to be a "fighting" rogue, grab Florentine (6) and Two Weapons (4), which will allow you to fight with paired shortswords.
2) If you want to be able to throw alchemical gas globes (one-shot drop to almost anything with a metabolism), grab Herbal Lore (3) and 3 levels of alchemy (9 - you have to have 3 levels to throw gas globes).
3) Finally, if you want to be able to Pick Locks and Arm/Disarm Traps, grab those skills now (3 each) and two levels of Create Trap (3 each) so you'll start with a couple of Traps; fair warning, some chapters don't use many traps, so this may be a bad idea...in other chapters, like NERO Cincinnati, they use a ton of traps, so it's a critical skill.

For maximum utility, I'd recommend getting the Alchemy first - once you've got 3 levels of Alch, it doensn't matter what level you are; you can drop somebody with no Resist Poisons (not a Dwarf or a Scavenger) who has a metabolism in ONE shot, as many times a day as you have gas globes. And gas globes are pretty common. That way, you've also got a weapon skill (I'd suggest grabbing a longsword if you've only got one weapon; put your gas globes in your offhand) and you can use Waylay with it. If you've got a couple points left, look into picking up Resist Charm or Sleep (they're 2 BP each, IIRC)...I'd go with Sleep, since it's fairly rare to see Charms thrown around, while Sleeps are quite common.

Good luck!

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 10:26 PM
Way to not be dismissive. What happened to not belittling people's game choices on this forum? :smallmad:

I dunno. Shall we discuss why 4e is a better game choice than 3.5?

I kid, I kid...

Back on topic, I dabbled in larping once upon a time. Amtguard, I think it was. Had the problem that I just couldn't take the dang thing seriously. Dagorhir was less problematic, but that's less larping and more beating the **** out of each other with marginally padded weapons. Now, my experiences are limited, and probably don't represent larping everywhere, so what's it actually like for ya'll?

The Glyphstone
2009-12-30, 10:33 PM

Or maybe he's y'know...making a joke? I LARP*, I got the reference immediately and wasn't the least bit offended...

As for the topic...I thought he wanted to make a copy of Neo (Matrix) but got the name wrong.

*Technically - White Wolf's Cam club isn't exactly what most people think of for 'Larp'.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-30, 11:32 PM
wait, I thought I spent Body Points, not Build Points

Swordguy
2009-12-30, 11:43 PM
wait, I thought I spent Body Points, not Build Points

Body Points=D&D Hit Points.

Build Points are equivalent to GURPS Character Points.

Make sense?

Temotei
2009-12-30, 11:47 PM
I also thought about Nero, but his entry post made me think otherwise.

Oh, and edition/setting tags are nice. :smallbiggrin: Thurbane is wise...as usual.