PDA

View Full Version : Does it Stack?

quiet1mi
2009-12-30, 08:04 PM
If I cast Mirror image upon myself, and then Displacement... Does my opponent have to roll a D8 (if there were 7 illusions and myself) to see if he hits the real me, then rolls the 50% miss chance, then rolls to see if he can hit me?

If this is right, then my beguiler now has a lot less to fear in close combat and will be more aggressive when it comes to stabilizing his allies with a wand of Cure light wounds.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 08:06 PM
If I cast Mirror image upon myself, and then Displacement... Does my opponent have to roll a D8 (if there were 7 illusions and myself) to see if he hits the real me, then rolls the 50% miss chance, then rolls to see if he can hit me?

If this is right, then my beguiler now has a lot less to fear in close combat and will be more aggressive when it comes to stabilizing his allies with a wand of Cure light wounds.

Can't recall displacement offhand, but if it works like blur, blink or other concealment offering spells, then yes.

All visual effects are replicated visually to the images and the images follow you acting the same as you.

Now mind you, this does rather little against someone who say, closes their eyes. Or has true seeing. But for mooks, its awesome.

Tavar
2009-12-30, 08:12 PM
If they close their eyes, then they're blinded. That's one of the best combat conditions you can inflict on someone.

Xyk
2009-12-30, 08:14 PM
You know what works even better than this? Invisibility. It's like a second level spell, and I'm pretty sure you can heal allies without dispelling it. If not, ignore this post.

elonin
2009-12-30, 08:18 PM
Invisibility is a 2nd level effect instead of 2 3rd level spells but drops once you take an offensive action. It is also easily countered by glitterdust. Course you could make yourself invisible, displaced, and mirror imaged. Very nice.

quiet1mi
2009-12-30, 08:20 PM
Except see invisibility kinda rains on your parade...

When you Dm for a Beguiler with a high hide and move silently check along with darkstalker, you have a habit of including one monster that can find the beguiler....

At least with this, it does not matter if they can see me...

jmbrown
2009-12-30, 08:20 PM
This is a hotly debated subject because of two descriptions in RAW.

Figments cannot make something seem to be something else.

and

A glamer spell changes a subject’s sensory qualities, making it look, feel, taste, smell, or sound like something else, or even seem to disappear.

By RAW a figment (mirror image) cannot duplicate a glamer (blur/displacement). However, mirror image duplicates the caster and mimics what he does.

Does this mean that if the caster is blurred, his duplicates aren't? Does it mean that his duplicates appear to be blurred but don't take the positive effects? That falls in your DMs hands so talk to your DM about how he thinks mirror image + blur/displacement should work because it differs from DM to DM.

elonin
2009-12-30, 09:18 PM
The dm's that I've talked to have come to the conclusion that you can't use blurring/ nonblurring on mirror images to defeat the spell. I guess that some dm could rule the other way which would make this a dumb combination.

From a logic (not rule wise perspective) it's stupid that see invisibility would make the mirror images appear. But then again it doesn't make sense that invisibility would work and not simultaneously blind he target.

jmbrown
2009-12-30, 09:35 PM
The dm's that I've talked to have come to the conclusion that you can't use blurring/ nonblurring on mirror images to defeat the spell. I guess that some dm could rule the other way which would make this a dumb combination.

From a logic (not rule wise perspective) it's stupid that see invisibility would make the mirror images appear. But then again it doesn't make sense that invisibility would work and not simultaneously blind he target.

It's not stupid at all. Figments and glamer aren't real, they just make things appear to be real. See invisibility allows you to pick out things that aren't real.

What really doesn't make sense is how people are invisible (and perceive themselves as invisible) but are constantly aware of their current position. An invisible person (by RAW) never stumbles over objects or has trouble with depth perception despite the fact that they cannot perceive their own body.

Douglas
2009-12-30, 09:37 PM
What really doesn't make sense is how people are invisible (and perceive themselves as invisible) but are constantly aware of their current position. An invisible person (by RAW) never stumbles over objects or has trouble with depth perception despite the fact that they cannot perceive their own body.
I disagree. I do not need to see my own body to know where it is. Other senses can take care of that just fine.

jmbrown
2009-12-30, 09:58 PM
I disagree. I do not need to see my own body to know where it is. Other senses can take care of that just fine.

There's really no way I can simulate this IRL but the way I see it is that an invisible person should effectively be blind for purposes of complex tasks like skill checks. While you may think your other senses take over, your peripheral vision is powerful enough to give you an edge. You walk without "seeing" the ground, but your peripheral vision locates objects way before you ever reach them and the human eye can catch movement in an 8th of a second (if my useless knowledge is correct).

Best way I can think of it is like this: how long does it take your fingers to find the home keys on your keyboard? How long does it take when you're actually looking at the keyboard in relation to that? How fast can you clip your toenails with your eyes closed? How fast can you clip them when you can actually see them?

It's a difficult concept to imagine but if I couldn't see my body I probably wouldn't be able to tell where my foot was in relation to the ground or where my hands are. I imagine an invisible character does plenty of groping because there's absolutely no visual connection between his body and the world around him.

Edit: Shoot, just imagine trying to pick a lock or disarm a snare when you can't see your probes or tools. Imagine trying to avoid tripping over a wire when you're tiptoeing and can't see your actual feet. This is something complex that D&D doesn't simulate but real life invisibility has got to be the most disorienting effect in the world if it were real.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-30, 10:18 PM
Who says you're invisible to yourself? Maybe you disbelieve the illusory invisbility even when others don't get a save. True invisibility would be, as observed, a massive headache - and I can't imagine that people wouldn't have worked furiously to try to remove the disadvantages.

jmbrown
2009-12-30, 10:31 PM
Who says you're invisible to yourself? Maybe you disbelieve the illusory invisbility even when others don't get a save. True invisibility would be, as observed, a massive headache - and I can't imagine that people wouldn't have worked furiously to try to remove the disadvantages.

True. Illusions are based on the perception of the individual so an invisible person could disbelieve his illusion but that leads to the interesting situation where the caster doesn't know how long his invisibility lasts.

Another question that I think is more important than blur/mirror image is disbelieving mirror image itself. A person who has reason to disbelieve an illusion can make a will save against it. In the case of figments, false images appear as thin outlines.

Since multiple images of a creature is plenty of excuse to disbelieve an illusion, can a creature subject themselves to a will save to disbelieve the mirror image? RAW says they must "study it carefully" which I would think equals a full-round action. Is that fair?

Edit: Well, mirror image moves with you and mimics your actions so it's pretty difficult to "study it carefully".

Signmaker
2009-12-30, 10:35 PM
Best way I can think of it is like this: how long does it take your fingers to find the home keys on your keyboard? How long does it take when you're actually looking at the keyboard in relation to that? How fast can you clip your toenails with your eyes closed? How fast can you clip them when you can actually see them?

Not that much of a difference for me, because I'm used to those motions. Same with, say, tying my shoelaces (people have this habit of raising their chin up when doing so, interestingly). So I feel as if only certain skill checks would truly take a hit due to lack of visual 'grounding'. Something like Open Lock would hardly be affected, due to the minimal need to see (you're listening and feeling for tumblers in a tumbling lock, for example), whereas you can't Craft(Basketweave) well if you and your weave is invisible.

quiet1mi
2009-12-30, 11:28 PM
can we please get back on the original topic...

Blur+Mirror Image does it stack?

You are spending 2 level 3 spells after all on what amounts to a single combat.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 01:49 AM
Yes.

However, there's no stacking involved here. Stacking would also give a 50% miss chance of hitting each Mirror Image, and that doesn't happen. If you swing at an Image and hit its AC, it goes poof.

nekomata2
2009-12-31, 02:13 AM
Page 84 of the D&D 3.5 FAQ

The images also look just
like the caster, and they share purely visual effects such as the
blur or displacement spell. If the mirror image user is also
using either of these effects, an attack aimed at an image has
the same miss chance an attack aimed at the caster has.

From here, if you need it: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 02:36 AM
FAQ author screwed up again. Blur and Displacement only give a miss chance to a creature, not a figment. The Mirror Images seem to react in the same way as the spellcaster with Blur or Displacement, but Mirror Image can't actually give them an additional miss chance. You've got to follow the rules, and that includes paying attention to the target specification of these spells.

jmbrown
2009-12-31, 03:46 AM
FAQ isn't RAW. Figments (which is what mirror images are) can't make something appear like something else. Glamer (which is what invisibility, blur, and displacement are) specifically make something appear like something else.

Your mirror images appear blurred or displaced but they have the normal AC of a figment.

Debihuman
2009-12-31, 10:27 AM
Well, it says very clearly that "the images have the same miss chance as the caster". You may not agree with the FAQ and wish to argue the point, but the FAQ is clear on this.

Debby

AstralFire
2009-12-31, 10:36 AM
Well, it says very clearly that "the images have the same miss chance as the caster". You may not agree with the FAQ and wish to argue the point, but the FAQ is clear on this.

Debby

That... is exactly what they just did.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-31, 10:38 AM

So?

No, really, what is the purpose of this post? The FAQ is clear. Yeah, we could have looked at the FAQ and seen that. People can argue the point - so they are.

jmbrown
2009-12-31, 10:51 AM

Debby

Yes, the FAQ says this, but the FAQ isn't RAW. You can follow the FAQ if you wish but the point of the argument is that RAW says one thing and FAQ says another. Pick one that you prefer and use it for your game.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 11:05 AM
Things like blur add a miss chance BECAUSE of the visual effect. Mirror image explicitly passes the visual effect on to the images.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 11:27 AM
Things like blur add a miss chance BECAUSE of the visual effect. Mirror image explicitly passes the visual effect on to the images. While I might argue your first statement here, let's posit that it's true. However, passing the visual effect on does not pass the miss chance on unless the spell description specifically includes that provision, because of (at least) two other rules:

The target for Blur and Displacement is a creature, not a figment. Mirror Images are not valid targets for those spells.
Figments have limitations in what effects they can produce. An extra miss chance because of some visual effect is not one of those things.
Figments cannot make something seem to be something else. ... Because figments and glamers (see below) are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can.
Absent a specific exception to these rules in the description of Mirror Image, those more general rules about the behavior of spells remain in effect.

jmbrown
2009-12-31, 11:29 AM
Things like blur add a miss chance BECAUSE of the visual effect. Mirror image explicitly passes the visual effect on to the images.

And mirror image is a figment; figments explicitly cannot make something appear to be something else and figments explicitly cannot produce real effects.

The duplicates are indistinguishable from the caster in appearance. That doesn't mean spell effects are applied to them. A blurred caster with duplicates has blurry duplicates who are just as easy to hit as if the caster wasn't blurred.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 11:38 AM
Said figments levitate when you levitate. It's explicitly an example of how effects on the caster are replicated to the figments. Clearly, thats an example of the figments being affected by a spell.

Note that there's no legal normal way for levitate to target the caster and all figments, either, but it does.

Since this is one of the examples of how all visual effects are replicated to the image, blur is obviously also replicated.

Blur:

The subject’s outline appears blurred, shifting and wavering. This distortion grants the subject concealment (20% miss chance).

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 02:06 PM
Since this is one of the examples of how all visual effects are replicated to the image, blur is obviously also replicated.

Blur:

Target: Creature touched

The subject’s outline appears blurred, shifting and wavering. This distortion grants the subject concealment (20% miss chance). The subject gets 20% miss chance. The figments look blurred (i.e., the visual effect is replicated), but do not get 20% miss chance because only the subject is granted that.

Seatbelt
2009-12-31, 02:22 PM
The human mind has this thing called proprioception. Essentially it is the body's ability to locate itself in space without the use of your eyes. It allows your body to perform tasks without having to look at your limbs to do it. Its how you can walk, or scratch your arm while playing rock band or even dress yourself.

A blind person would develop a strong proprioception to do things like clip his toe nails. If invisibility renders you invisible to yourself, you may not be able to clip your toe nails, because you can't see them and they have no nerve endings. But you should have a sufficiently clear map of your body and the space it occupies to reach your spell component pouch. Or swing your sword. Or do a ton of other things.

It is possible to loose this sense though. People who loose it have to relearn how to walk. They can't do a lot of things without looking at their hands. For example, you couldn't type. Sure you may have a strong sense of where the keys are and a good muscle memory. But you have no idea where your hands are in space without looking at them.

A blind person without his sense of proprioception would be royally and utterly screwed. He'd have no sense of himself in space and no ability to locate himself visually.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 02:30 PM
The subject gets 20% miss chance. The figments look blurred (i.e., the visual effect is replicated), but do not get 20% miss chance because only the subject is granted that.

What granted the distortion? The visual effect.

What else is subject to the visual effect? The images.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 02:51 PM
What granted the distortion? The visual effect. No, that would instead be the spell. The description inside that spell explains how the benefit of that spell applies to its target.

What else is subject to the visual effect? The images. Absolutely. But they don't get the miss chance benefit, just the visual effect. The same visual effect doesn't grant the same mechanical benefit anywhere but to the valid target.

EDIT: Look, the spell description explicitly denies consistency between the visual effect and game mechanics.
Any successful attack against an image destroys it. ... Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball). If the visual effect and mechanics were linked, since any damage destroys an Image, then appearing burned would also destroy an Image, and Fireball or any other damaging area effect spell would counter Mirror Image completely. If you're going to accept that the visual effect and the mechanics aren't linked in this case, you need to accept that the visual effect and mechanics aren't linked when you try to stack on other spells.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 02:54 PM
No, that would instead be the spell. The description inside that spell explains how the benefit of that spell applies to its target.

The spell applies the visual effect. It explains that the visual affect applies the miss chance via the concealment mechanism.

Obviously, anything else that has the exact same visual effect has the exact same concealment from it.

Concealment is concealment. It doesn't matter how you get it, it gives the miss chance.

Superglucose
2009-12-31, 02:59 PM
If they close their eyes, then they're blinded. That's one of the best combat conditions you can inflict on someone.
It's really... not. Blinded is terrible because it negates your bonus from Mirror Image... despite the fact that the mirror image description is contradictory

(it says you can't discern which image is which by sound, but that closing your eyes defeats the illusion. This allows your seeking arrows to hit the target. WTF?!?! So my illusion makes noise... but you can't hear the noise if you close your eyes http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6420/emotpsyducklt8.gif)

I also had someone pinpoint me and then close his eyes to do mirror image, but I'd like to go on record as saying that that doesn't work. You can't pinpoint someone under the effects of mirror image because they're in different squares (they're at least 5' away from the nearest other image, and in order for the spell to be most effective they'd be as far away as possible... what's the point of 10 images that look like you if they're all in the same place?). You have to make listen checks, which makes move silently an important skill for wizards looking to go toe to toe with archers.

Also: wow, closing your eyes makes it so you can't hear anymore :smallsigh:

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 03:00 PM
Concealment is concealment. It doesn't matter how you get it, it gives the miss chance.
Yes, it does. If you can find a spell that has a figment as a valid target and provides concealment, you're good. Failing that, you're trying to get an advantage by reading just the rules that you like and failing to read the ones that say your interpretation is invalid.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 03:55 PM
Yes, it does. If you can find a spell that has a figment as a valid target and provides concealment, you're good. Failing that, you're trying to get an advantage by reading just the rules that you like and failing to read the ones that say your interpretation is invalid.

That's a general rule. Yes, blur cannot, in general, target or affect figments. The same is true of levitate, one of the example spells in mirror image.

Specific overrides general. In the specific instance of mirror image, a specific exception is made so that effects on you affect the image too.

If mirror image did not have those rules, then your interpretation would be correct, as it is the general rule.

Superglucose...yeah, the hearing/eyes closed thing is wierd. I get how it works by RAW, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 04:39 PM
Specific overrides general. In the specific instance of mirror image, a specific exception is made so that effects on you affect the image too.
Where does it say in Mirror Image that the Images get the miss chance of Blur or Displacement? Nowhere. You're making up something that's not in the rules.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 04:48 PM
Where does it say in Mirror Image that the Images get the miss chance of Blur or Displacement? Nowhere. You're making up something that's not in the rules.

You don't think you're being a little over the top here?

How do you explain the example of levitate working then? It's the same time of interaction, and it's listed among the list of examples.

Let's take the chain step by step, and you till me what part you object to.

Can images benefit from concealment? I would hold that any target can be concealed. The rules for concealment are quite broad, and see to apply to essentially everything.

So, where do we get concealment from? Blur in this case.

The subject’s outline appears blurred, shifting and wavering. This distortion grants the subject concealment (20% miss chance).

The miss chance is very clearly from concealment. The concealment is granted by the distortion.

Thus, if you get the distortion, you get the miss chance.

Mirror Image

The figments mimic your actions, pretending to cast spells when you cast a spell, drink potions when you drink a potion, levitate when you levitate, and so on.

Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets.

How do you explain this not resulting in the images gaining the distortion from blur?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 05:21 PM
How do you explain the example of levitate working then? It's the same time of interaction, and it's listed among the list of examples.
So what? The figments move up in the air. There's nothing but visual effect involved. The Images mimic drinking a potion when the target does that, too. If the target drinks a potion of Aid it gets temporary hit points. The Images appear to be drinking the same potion, but they don't get any mechanical benefit (the temporary hit points).

The Images mimic having a blurry outline when the target receives a Blur spell. The target gets a miss chance from that, but the figments do not, any more than they get temporary hit points from appearing to swallow a potion.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 05:27 PM
The Images mimic having a blurry outline when the target receives a Blur spell. The target gets a miss chance from that, but the figments do not, any more than they get temporary hit points from appearing to swallow a potion.

As per blur's text, the blurry outline grants concealment.

Are you holding that concealment works different for illusions than for people? If so, why?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 05:52 PM
As per blur's text, the blurry outline grants concealment.
Not what the spell says at all.

Target: Creature touched

Are you holding that concealment works different for illusions than for people? If so, why?
I'm holding that the spell works exactly as described, granting only the subject (a creature) concealment, and that there's nothing in the rules that says a blurry figment gets a miss chance. In fact, there's something in the rules that says that a figment can't get a miss chance from purely visual effects.
Figments cannot make something seem to be something else. ... Because figments and glamers (see below) are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can. A miss chance is a real, in-game mechanical effect. Right there in the rules, it says that a blurry figment can't get that real effect.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 06:01 PM
So, the blurry effect is replicated to the images....but they are not subject to it?

How does that work?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 06:02 PM
. A miss chance is a real, in-game mechanical effect. Right there in the rules, it says that a blurry figment can't get that real effect.

Figments produce real, in game effects all the time. For various definitions of real, in game effects.

If a miss chance is a real, in game effect, then both blur and mirror image break that rule by providing that effect to you. Clearly, your definition is off.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 06:07 PM
So, the blurry effect is replicated to the images....but they are not subject to it?
They're blurry around the edges. So? Where a real person would receive only a nondamaging glancing blow if they were subject to Blur, a blurry figment still goes poof on any weapon contact. You need to note that Mirror Images don't have any hit points. They don't have to take any damage to go poof. Any successful attack -- even a nondamaging touch attack -- will wipe one out. So yeah, they're blurry; that doesn't make them any more difficult to destroy.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 06:11 PM
They're blurry around the edges. So? Where a real person would receive only a nondamaging glancing blow if they were subject to Blur, a blurry figment still goes poof on any weapon contact.

Misses are not always from glancing blows. It can turn what would normally be a glancing blow into a miss.

It's not a glancing blow chance, it's a miss chance.

You need to note that Mirror Images don't have any hit points. They don't have to take any damage to go poof. Any successful attack -- even a nondamaging touch attack -- will wipe one out. So yeah, they're blurry; that doesn't make them any more difficult to destroy.

Miss chances are pretty irrelevant to hit point totals, no? Oddly enough, they do have AC. They even get your dex modifier. Huh, guess they're pretty good at being missed.