PDA

View Full Version : Family rendered immune to ninja; television deal considered.

Worira
2009-12-30, 09:57 PM
Because they can't grab you when you're on fire (http://www.globaltvbc.com/entertainment/Stunt+family+burning+passion+their+reality+show/2389850/story.html).

VANCOUVER — Canada's only stunt family may soon have a reality show on a major American network — and all they had to do was set themselves on fire, kids and all, to land the deal.

"Nothing gets attention like setting your family on fire," said Jim Dunn, who videotaped himself, his wife and their three minor children fully engulfed in flames as part of their demo reel.

Dunn said he can't reveal any details about the show except that "it's very close to being greenlit."

I also like the marshmallows.

Rutskarn
2009-12-30, 10:04 PM
Setting your family on fire for fun and profit, eh?

I'm still not precisely sure how I should react to this.

TheSummoner
2009-12-30, 10:05 PM
I fully endorse this. Either they are incredibly skilled, which should be entertaining... or incredibly stupid, in which case they are doing their duty and purging themselves from the gene pool.

FoE
2009-12-30, 11:10 PM
That's not so weird. We Canadians regularly expose ourselves to tremendous heat during winter; it's the only way to stay warm.

For example, I'm currently sitting on a bed of hot coals surrounded by forty-foot snowbanks. It started snowing a half-hour ago and just stopped in the last five minutes. Here in Western Canada, we call that "a light dusting," eh?

Moff Chumley
2009-12-31, 12:00 AM
I can respect that. :smallbiggrin:

Falgorn
2009-12-31, 12:08 AM
I can respect that. :smallbiggrin:

I can't.
In all seriousness, a man and wife setting themselves on fire is very...
Stupid.
But allowing your children to? Come on, people!

That's not so weird. We Canadians regularly expose ourselves to tremendous heat during winter; it's the only way to stay warm.

For example, I'm currently sitting on a bed of hot coals surrounded by forty-foot snowbanks. It started snowing a half-hour ago and just stopped in the last five minutes. Here in Western Canada, we call that "a light dusting," eh?

Have you set yourself on fire though, and then your children.

FoE
2009-12-31, 12:12 AM
I don't have any children. But I did once cut open a polar bear and shove my baby brother into its guts to keep it warm.

Boy, if you thought they smelled bad on the outside ...

The Extinguisher
2009-12-31, 12:12 AM
I once had to check my mail in the winter. I set myself on fire to do so.

You're underestimating just how cold it can get in the winter. I chew ice cubes to warm up :smallamused::smalltongue:

Falgorn
2009-12-31, 12:16 AM
I once had to check my main in the winter. I set myself on fire to do so.

You're underestimating just how cold it can get in the winter. I chew ice cubes to warm up :smallamused::smalltongue:

Oh, if you think THAT'S cold, I've got a story for you.
Imagine, the icy tundra of the north.
I was traveling through the cold plains of Siberia during the war, and all I had to eat were the melons.
Coincidentally, we used the melons for ammunition at well. Eventually, we got pet rats. They were later killed to provide food and clothing.

And then the ducks came.
So...many....ducks....:smalleek:
:smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-12-31, 12:23 AM
Setting your family on fire for fun and profit, eh?

I'm still not precisely sure how I should react to this.

You're not?

FoE
2009-12-31, 12:24 AM
You're not?

Indeed. Applause is the only appropriate choice.

The man should be commended for going to any lengths necessary to protect his family from ninjas.

bluewind95
2009-12-31, 12:35 AM
From what I read, the guy that did this is trained in stunts and had a safety crew. So not as dangerous as it might have been otherwise.

Still... this kind of stuff for publicity is... something I don't really like.

Rutskarn
2009-12-31, 01:40 AM
Indeed. Applause is the only appropriate choice.

I dunno. If I applaud, I risk getting their attention, and subsequently being lit on fire as a tribute to their pagan pyrogods.

chiasaur11
2009-12-31, 01:50 AM
I dunno. If I applaud, I risk getting their attention, and subsequently being lit on fire as a tribute to their pagan pyrogods.

On the other hand, the risk of ninja attack grows every day, as pirate populations fall, removing distractions.

Just saying, might want to take precautions.

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-31, 02:52 AM

I once had to check my mail in the winter. I set myself on fire to do so.

Psh, lightweights. I live between three lakes, meaning every winter (Or, since I'm in Canada, the whole year except the five seconds when it's a very cold spring.) I separate the hydrogen and the oxygen, take out the Phoenix Hellblaster 9000 ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha Model 42, and burn it all up. This during the -500 degrees Kelvin winter.

It's so cold in Canada, we defy the laws of thermodynamics!

Masterclick
2009-12-31, 03:22 AM
And this is the part where us Californians laugh at all of you and go back outside with only a T-shirt and jeans (I will admit, I don't live in southern californian so it is a bit warmer down there.)

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-31, 05:03 AM
From what I read, the guy that did this is trained in stunts and had a safety crew. So not as dangerous as it might have been otherwise.

Still... this kind of stuff for publicity is... something I don't really like.Also, how old are the kids? I'd be less concerned if they were like 15 and 17 and so old enough to understand the ramifications of not doing exactly as daddy says for this. More concerned if they're like 6 and 8 and easily distracted.

EDIT: Went back and skimmed the article. The kids themselves are experienced stunt performers, all three. This lessens the "stupidity factor" in my view.

Bouregard
2009-12-31, 05:23 AM
I see quite a lot people more stupid things (Darwin awards anyone?) If I read that correctly they where trained stuntman so they should have known how to do this.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-12-31, 08:27 PM
Psh, lightweights. I live between three lakes, meaning every winter (Or, since I'm in Canada, the whole year except the five seconds when it's a very cold spring.) I separate the hydrogen and the oxygen, take out the Phoenix Hellblaster 9000 ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha Model 42, and burn it all up. This during the -500 degrees Kelvin winter.

It's so cold in Canada, we defy the laws of thermodynamics!

Living around water heats up the surronding area in the winter, so you got off relatively lightly. Until you've had to wear a five layers, including a winter jacket, in the middle of the summer, you can't consider yourself a true Canadian.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-31, 08:34 PM
Isn't a reality show what Balloon Boy's parents' goal was?

Semidi
2009-12-31, 08:42 PM
Sounds like it should be part of an Aristocrats Joke.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-31, 08:53 PM
The Phoenix Hellblaster 9000 ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha Model 42

Nicely played, sirah.

And this is the part where us Californians laugh at all of you and go back outside with only a T-shirt and jeans (I will admit, I don't live in southern californian so it is a bit warmer down there.)

:smallcool:
NorCal is hella chill, and I don't mean temperature-wise.
*gets dragged away for crimes against language, also the Pun-Police*

Rutskarn
2009-12-31, 09:29 PM

Hell with that, it's freezing down here. Why, this morning, I woke up and had to put on a sweatshirt. A sweatshirt! I tell you, the world's come to something when I can't walk around naked in the middle of winter.

Groundhog
2009-12-31, 10:11 PM
Isn't a reality show what Balloon Boy's parents' goal was?

Yes, they'd been on one already, and wanted to land a spot on another.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-31, 10:24 PM
Yes, they'd been on one already, and wanted to land a spot on another.

so let me guess this straight, the guy who lied about their one son being in danger is facing jailtime, while the guy who set all their kids on fire is getting the reality show. WTF, seriously.

Gaelbert
2009-12-31, 10:38 PM
:smallcool:
NorCal is hella chill, and I don't mean temperature-wise.
*gets dragged away for crimes against language, also the Pun-Police*

Chill? Northern California? You know I guess it's just San Joaquin that has the problems. Most of NorCal is pretty cool, from my experiences.

Went to the movies today wearing jeans, flip flops and a soccer jersey.

thubby
2010-01-01, 04:59 AM
considering the extreme sports available, this seems like a good diversion.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-04, 06:31 AM
so let me guess this straight, the guy who lied about their one son being in danger is facing jailtime, while the guy who set all their kids on fire is getting the reality show. WTF, seriously.Balloon Dad isn't getting jail time for not really endangering his son. He's getting it for wasting thousands of dollars and hundreds of man-hours on a scam.

The fire family, while dangerous, was tediously planned, closely monitored by 20 safety personnel, and was done by trained participants. Balloon Boy was a ploy; Fire Family was a pitch. I see no parallels.

Eldan
2010-01-04, 07:14 AM

Hey, so do I. I admit, once it goes below zero in winter, I stop wearing sandals, but otherwise? Shirts all year round.

Telonius
2010-01-04, 11:43 AM
Perhaps they're regular Giant in the Playground forumites, and totally misunderstood the "ON FIRE!!!" avatar theme week...

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-01-04, 12:16 PM
Picture it: this winter thus far, in the frozen wastelands of south-east England. Omens of global warming are ever thwarted by the amount of snow being doubled from previous years. That's right, we have had five days of snow this winter, and if God has truly forsaken us we may be subjected to a sixth. I had to wear a jumper the other day! And gloves! Truly the world is at an end!

At least the addition of an amazing quote to my roster in "Nothing gets attention like setting your family on fire" gives me some solace from this icy oppression.

Pandaren
2010-01-04, 01:17 PM
I don't have any children. But I did once cut open a polar bear and shove my baby brother into its guts to keep it warm.

Boy, if you thought they smelled bad on the outside ...

...but they look a lot softer on the outside.